Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DrIVer Details

Driver: Parallel Lines Revealed on IGN is an article based on some skinny gleaned from a German print article about the upcoming fourth installment in the Driver series (story). The game's title is apparently set as Driver: Parallel Lines (Blondie fans, perhaps), meaning Atari eschewed my suggestion that a follow-up to DRIV3R should be drIVer. The article addresses the critical and audience reaction that suggested DRIV3R should be followed by an end to the series, saying Parallel Lines will see the series return to its driving roots as it harkens back to the heyday of leisure suits for some 70's nostalgia, with a youthful main character called The Kid, or T.K. (perhaps the young version of Tanner the wheelman, protagonist of the previous Driver games), and gameplay made easier thanks to a more linear progression. The article sets the game's European release date as March 2006.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: No subject Aug 23, 2005, 19:54 Tango

I never really liked this series... the first one was ok but ever since it's been console stuff. And while this game might work on a console (gamepad), on a PC it's never as good.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. No "Leet" Speak Aug 23, 2005, 19:45 Icewind

Wasn't Driver 3 (I refuse to use leet speak) the game that embarrassed the company who made it, because they hired some guys to pose as diehard fans of the game and post positive comments about it on all the web boards? I'm pretty sure that was driver 3.

God, how bad does your game have to be to do that?

17. Re: In the year 2000... Aug 23, 2005, 19:28 ExcessDan

you skipped DrVIIIer and DrXIIIver

Mayor Dan
------------
"Take me Jesus, take me Allah, rape me in my room
Torch our days in paranoia while we gorge ourselves on gloom"

ExcessDan

16. Re: scans Aug 23, 2005, 18:22 Fantaz

Doesn't look too bad. Maybe it will be good this time.

15. No subject Aug 23, 2005, 18:14 Xero

Driver has become like Tombraider, nobody cares anymore...

Face your Fears, Live your Dreams, No Fear -Manny Pacquiao

Currently playing: Skyrim

14. Re: scans Aug 23, 2005, 17:10 PHJF

I sat around with a bunch of friends just driving around for hours with the first Driver.

Never bothered playing the other two...

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. scans Aug 23, 2005, 16:51 Daks

You can find magazine scans at

http://www.gamekapocs.hu/hirek/2958/

12. Re: Oh lord... Aug 23, 2005, 16:39 Halsy

Worst console port of all time. Don't bother doing it again.

"Well...here's to feelin' good all the time!"
- Kramer

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

11. YAY!! Aug 23, 2005, 16:36 XEON

More pop up!

===
Sometimes it can be hard to see the forest because of all the trees in front of you. Trees that are on fire, whose top-most branches are filled with leaky bags of gasoline, barrels of gunpowder and frothing, rabid raccoons..

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

10. I enjoyed DRIV3R Aug 23, 2005, 16:15 DangerDog

The only parts I had issue with were the on foot missions, played it all the way through though.

Great game, I hope they stick with the same physics modeling for the cars.

9. In the year 2000... Aug 23, 2005, 15:50 Kxmode

Let have some fun with the name starting with the fifth game...

DriVer
DrVIer
DrVIIer
DrIXer
DrXver
DrXIver
DrXIIver
DrXIVer
DrXVer
DrXVIer

... I'm bored.

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

8. linear? no way! Aug 23, 2005, 15:44 SColton

I'm sorry, but linear isn't what Driver is all about. It needs an open-end city to tear up. Leave linear driving to Need For Speed.

7. No subject Aug 23, 2005, 15:37 Elcabong

The last game was so horridly bad that it was simply an insult to the game buying public. And they made absolutely no effort to try to fix or correct it.

Why should anyone care that they're trying to make another one?

6. No subject Aug 23, 2005, 14:41 MeatForce

The game's title is apparently set as Driver: Parallel Lines (Blondie fans, perhaps), meaning Atari eschewed my suggestion that a follow-up to DRIV3R should be drIVer.

I have a very strong feeling that naming the game drIVer would be the only decently creative idea they could manage to inject into this one.

The fact that it wouldn't even be their own idea, only more fitting.

-----
I actually get paid for this..

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

5. Re: No subject Aug 23, 2005, 14:22 Elf Shot The Food

The first reviews should be out any day now.

4. Re: No subject Aug 23, 2005, 14:19 changingman

cuban heels, cheap beer, Bruce Springsteen or raping retards with the business end of a pistol

Finally, a game I want to play!

I thought this series would have died with the first one. There was nothing to these games, not even a gimmick to get people interested in looking at it for a few minutes before deciding to buy... Oh, I don't know, anything else. Never underestimate just how hard someone in this industry will flog the dead horse they own the rights to.

/vehemently vocalising vernacular vocabulary

3. Re: Oh lord... Aug 23, 2005, 14:15 Vinquus

Come on! "pistol whip Reflection into not releasing another abortion like the last one"? It was more the other way around last time.

2. No subject Aug 23, 2005, 14:08 Hump

with a youthful main character called The Kid, or T.K. (perhaps the young version of Tanner the wheelman, protagonist of the previous Driver games)

or perhaps Stephen Kings character from "The Stand" who enjoys cuban heels, cheap beer, Bruce Springsteen or raping retards with the business end of a pistol....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

1. Oh lord... Aug 23, 2005, 14:00 Parallax Abstraction

Nice paly on the name there Blue. Unfortunately, I wish Atari would either just let this series die or at least pistol whip Reflection into not releasing another abortion like the last one.

Parallax Abstraction
Founder of StateOfGaming.org - Coming Soon
Commentary & Discussion About the Video Game Industry and Its Future

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo