Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quake 4 Trailer

Some new Quake 4 screenshots and a new gameplay movie from Raven's upcoming sequel to id's shooter series have been released in conjunction with the launch of QuakeCon. The movie is a 33 MB download showing off a Strogg attack, available on 3D Gamers, FileFront, Fragland.net, Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, Happy Puppy, and Worthplaying.

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

78. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2005, 18:06 Tango

People should save the pissin' and moaning until after they actually play something.
Yeah... but then what would we all do at work?!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

77. Quake 4 = CoD Aug 13, 2005, 23:55 Xenos Overdrive

Shit....that would be awesome. If it were like CoD but set in the Strogg world, I wouldn't mind. Hell, CoD was one hell of a game.

76. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2005, 19:42 Corn Wizard

ya, but these screens look good:
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/quake4/screenshots/
and this isn't the only vid they've put out(E3). At least they show something (unlike some games...DNF). I just haven't met a Quake I didn't like, and I find it hard to believe that they will just trash the legacy. People should save the pissin' and moaning until after they actually play something.

75. Re: A COD rip off? Aug 12, 2005, 18:07 Tony!!!

ROFLMAO!
Bastard Elf, ruin it for me why don't you!

-Tony!!!;)

www.MonitaryMan.com

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

74. ... Aug 12, 2005, 17:23 theyarecomingforyou

Anyone else think that iD are deliberately trying to sabotage the Quake and Doom franchises? I guess it's a good thing, they need to start with something fresh.

That post [strangely enough] really made me think, as I now realise how few ideas iD have had... sure, they've produced some exceptional games (Doom, D2, Q2, Q3, RTCW) but they haven't really tried to break the mold. Perhaps they will surprise us.

Actually, I'd rather they just make the engine and source out the content production to another developer... then we might see a great product.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

73. Re: I Am Jaspos Aug 12, 2005, 14:06  famished 

Oh, Raven should have never, ever, been left with the responsibility of making Quake4, or QuakeAnything for that matter.

Anyone else think that iD are deliberately trying to sabotage the Quake and Doom franchises? I guess it's a good thing, they need to start with something fresh.

72. Re: ... Aug 12, 2005, 11:08 Creston

Ugh, I mean at least if there were big pink nipples THAT would have been something...
Don't worry, I'm sure Jack Thompson is already looking to put a mod team together.

Hahahahahaha, that gets my evil laugh of the day.

Creston

71. Re: Quake Wars: ET Aug 12, 2005, 08:04 Jarek Forhanon

I do agree that Tribes was an awesome game...and there was teamplay. However 1 guy could pretty much do major damage in that game. If you were an awesome flagrunner you could grab the flag by your lonesome and get back to base to score. Yes, before ya say it I know that you needed to have a defense to defend your flag, but a flagrunner really didn't need anyone's help to get the flag. What I was getting at with ET is how dependant the classes were on each other...and how dependant the map and obj's were on how well you worked together! I need ammo, I need a medic, we need an engineer, we need a covert ops. That is what I call needing teamwork!!!

Everything you said is true... if you are playing on an unbalanced server. If you play on a balanced server with skilled players (or better yet, a competitive match), there is no chance in hell that a single capper can win the game. For example, Raindance. Standard D setup: 2 LD, one HoF. In order for there to even be a HoF, there have to be working inv stations, and for that to happen, your base needs to remain intact. So, you need to have dedicated D for defending the gens (usually HoF).

Now, even if the enemy's gens are down, that doesn't leave their flag wide open. In such cases, there would probably be 3-4 LD defending the flag and a solo capper going in without any team support will get raped. Thus, you need to have your HO mortar/disc spam the flag and synchronize the spam with your capper's grab (so that you don't TK him).

And this is just the basics. It is not uncommon for cappers to set up and synchronize their routes so that one can grab the flag, then pass it to the other capper in midair. The level of timing, coordination and synchronization required to pull off such maneuvers successfully far surpasses anything in any other MP game I've seen.

Bottom line: If you are playing against a bunch of inept players, then no, Tribes doesn't require much teamwork. If you are playing against a team that knows what they are doing, then you won't stand a chance without excellent teamwork. A single capper overcoming a good defense without any support? Unlikely.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 08:07.

70. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2005, 04:41 Duc

1)Q4 will rock

That's not what the video sugests.

2)Suck a cheetah's dick all you haters

We didn't steal this shit from a warez beta or something, this is a freely available video released for the express reason of marketing Q4. Are we to believe they dug up the most exciting footage the game could offer? I hope not.

69. Re: Quake Wars: ET Aug 12, 2005, 01:38 ViRGE

The bind commands you use in games like BF2 and ET, the commander map if BF2 etc. These all came from Tribes.
The ultimate irony being that when Dynamix created Tribes, they weren't explicitly shooting for creating some wildly innovative new genre, they were trying to put another game on the Starsiege engine in order pad their revenues in the face of poor sales of Starsiege. Tribes was a game whose creation was purely an accident, which is part of the reason that no one has been able to properly replicate it.

68. Re: A COD rip off? Aug 12, 2005, 01:34 The Half Elf

Tony how many times we gotta tell you to start from the side with the 1 on it, not the side with the 12 on it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

67. Re: Quake Wars: ET Aug 11, 2005, 23:49 supyos

I do agree that Tribes was an awesome game...and there was teamplay. However 1 guy could pretty much do major damage in that game. If you were an awesome flagrunner you could grab the flag by your lonesome and get back to base to score. Yes, before ya say it I know that you needed to have a defense to defend your flag, but a flagrunner really didn't need anyone's help to get the flag. What I was getting at with ET is how dependant the classes were on each other...and how dependant the map and obj's were on how well you worked together! I need ammo, I need a medic, we need an engineer, we need a covert ops. That is what I call needing teamwork!!!

Yes!!! Tribes own's the bind commands...Hi...BYE..with animations!!! Screw talking voice chat I can get my point across faster with damn bindings!

I am not dissing tribes at all...one of the best games ever and just one of those games you feel like it could never be matched in it's area.

66. Re: A COD rip off? Aug 11, 2005, 22:57 Tony!!!

I have a twelve inch penis... *tee heeeee*

-Tony!!!;)

www.MonitaryMan.com

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

65. Re: A COD rip off? Aug 11, 2005, 22:34 Fantaz

*yawn*

...just let the thread die!

64. Re: A COD rip off? Aug 11, 2005, 22:30 Scottish Martial Arts

Geez how can you compare Quake 2 with COD. Two different style of FPS games.

Evidently you need to work on your reading comprehension because THAT WAS THE ENTIRE FUCKING POINT OF MY POST. The two games are nothing alike, Quake 4 rather than being like Quake 2 appears to be like Call of Duty. That is why, despite being completely aware that Q2 predates CoD by six years, many people are calling Q4 a CoD ripoff. Jesus Christ, who the fuck are all these partially retarded new posters in this thread?

63. Re: No subject Aug 11, 2005, 22:13 MacD

And how could I forget the Hoth level...classic.

62. Re: Quake Wars: ET Aug 11, 2005, 22:12 Beaner

Actually name 1 game that has even come close to the teamplay that ET requires.

Nothing surpasses Tribes in CTF gameplay, nothing. Speed, long stretched out battles and chases...nothing yet compares unless you like running around in enclosed maps. Vivendi is just too damn clueless to market and produce the franchise properly.

The bind commands you use in games like BF2 and ET, the commander map if BF2 etc. These all came from Tribes.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 22:19.

61. Re: No subject Aug 11, 2005, 22:05 MacD

I'll admit there was some spam in there...but bountyhunter (boba fett chasing you), rancor, the 'bespin' level (blowing up the refinery bit by bit), the jedi tempel, the level where you fight to blow up the cloaking device, some of the jedi academy levels in the beginning...classic jedi battle stuff. Better by far than some of the stuff in JO, and at leats on a par with the best of JO. Add in vehicles, and that coimbat system (especially for MP) and you have a game which is just fun to play.

"Most of them felt like a decent first effort from a beginning map maker rather than a professionally designed map."

Change most into a few and I'll admit you're right...some of the levels where real crap, uninspired and boring. But overal I think the game was one of the most memorable game experiences in the SW universe I've played yet. Fleeing from and killing Rancors, blowing up bases, flying jetbikes, ducking acid rain, perfectly placed heavy enemies, levels where jumping, wall clinging and other force powers made actual sense....KotOR can kiss my ass

Nut I will admit that some of the user made levels actually kicked some of the dev made levels ass

But maybe I'm just too gratefull for a SW game where the combat is so much fun

60. Re: A COD rip off? Aug 11, 2005, 21:59 Beaner

Geez how can you compare Quake 2 with COD. Two different style of FPS games. Quake 2 is one of the ultimate deathmatch games with great mods. COD is more of a warfare team based style FPS. Tribes was really the big first in that arena, not COD, not BF.

I think we all expect a better visual impression with the game, but in the end its about the gameplay. So who knows. Plus they are moving Quake more toward a warfare style game versus just plain deathmatch (Quake: Enemy Territory) and I look forward to it.

I'll bet the Quake 4 MP will be a lot less bug ridden compared to the stink bug that is BF2 and the upcoming COD 2. Not that BF2 isnt a good game, but geez the bugs, the ranked server thing, locked weapons ugh. Raven and ID wont pull that kind of crap.

and regarding the offset engine...yes its a very early demo which doesnt really prove anything, but damn it looks nice, and the concept of a "true" fantasy FPS sounds awesome. In regards to U3 levels of scale/performance, that Is still to be proven. I highly doubt unreal 3 can render large immerssive terrain with 20+ players even with the eye candy set on low. Plus Unreals netcode always stank until Unreal Tourney 4 and even that has that "Unreal" choppiness. Thats an area where the Torque engine excels.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 22:07.

59. Re: a better looking engine. Aug 11, 2005, 21:54 MacD

Carefull there; these 3 guys (didn't know that they were only 3, btw) have only shown a VERY limited tech demo....actually, not even that, just a tech video. Shit, I could make that level of art/animation by myself given a month's time (and I have, for architecural flythroughs...okok, not the same, but similar enough for me to know). The offset engine shows potential, but I know of a recently bought by EPIC engine which showed a hell of a lot moree than just promise. Offset isn't even close to that in a vid which might have been 'realtime rendered' on alpha hardware, or might have been an 'artists impression' , or even a 'studio expectation' of what real hardware might do.

Plus, offset has only show a VERY limited 'level'. They've shown something neat, but nowhere near to U3 levels of scale/performance....only polish (which can be easily faked).

As for hardware...keep in mind that that's only for the high-end...the tech HAS to be scalable too. Not scaleable means a lot less sales...and an unknown doesn't drive hardware sales like Valve or id...remember that us guys posting here are on the leading edge of gameing...we've seen a lot and played a lot and have upgraded more than any average joe.

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo