Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

F.E.A.R. SP Demo

As promised, a playable F.E.A.R. single-player demo is now available, looking to strike some of the First Encounter Assault and Reconnaissance of Monolith's upcoming paranormal first-person shooter into gamers. The download is available on This Sierra Downloads Page, and mirrored on 1UP, 3D Gamers, 4players.de (Germany), ActionTrip, Computer Gamers (Romania), eXtreme-Players.de (Germany), FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), Filerush (torrent), Gamer's Hell, GameSpot DLX (registration required), VGPro, and Worthplaying.

View
229 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

189. Re: F.E.A.R demo Aug 6, 2005, 18:05 TorTorden

Thanks, Trespasser, thats what it was, well insane system requirements i can live with it's part of the natural cycle of pc hardware for me, as for trespasser it had a few things going against it, like stacking boxes, picking up objects, and aiming.
Still they did try to do things with physics and gameplay no one has tried to implement since just recently, large open spaces, big monsters etc. (I think I remember the water looking good to.)
(I just may have to dive into a rather large and dusty box of CD-roms now)

Actually the release date has been pushed back at least once on this game in typical Monolith fashion.

Well aware. but only for about four monts or so if the two months from now (here's hoping)is to be correct.
In comparison to many other games like (HL2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R,etc etc. It's still a nice turn of pace in MHO.

I just have to ask.

How many male Geeks are going to perform very bad drop kicks in the privacy of their home now?

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar for a profession.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 18:09.

Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

188. Re: Aug 6, 2005, 17:54 Tango

This is a pretty good idea of "average" PC gamer's computers, as of May this year http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html .Most people are approaching 3Ghz, but fall way short on RAM if 2Gb is actually required.

187. Re: Aug 6, 2005, 17:15 Riley Pizt

It reminded me very much of Far Cry for soem reason.
The game plays and feels like a cross between NOLF 2 and Far Cry (which is not a bad thing at all). It is just obvious that the developers studied Far Cry and borrowed many of the good elements from it.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 17:16.

186. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2005, 17:12 Riley Pizt

have an Athlon 64 3400+, so maybe the CPU is more important than anything else in determining a good framerate for this game.
I think you are right because many of us who are complaining have significantly less than you. Many of us complainers also have ATI graphics cards. However, that still doesn't negate the fact that this is still a problem that needs to be fixed especially when you consider that many if not most of the people who buy these types of game don't have a CPU as fast as yours or a 64-bit one.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 17:18.

185. Re: F.E.A.R demo Aug 6, 2005, 17:08 Riley Pizt

Watching the bad guys turn to skeletons when hit with the plasma gun gave me a big smile
The plasma gun and damage effects are the highlight of this game. I have not seen a better and more satisfying firing weapon in a shooter although the discharge sound effect could be a little stronger.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 17:13.

184. Re: F.E.A.R demo Aug 6, 2005, 17:06 Riley Pizt

our protagonist, whom we actually can see in this game (can't remember that since the jurassic park game that bombed a few years ago, I can't remember a title.)
The game you are referring to is Trespasser. Ironically, this game shares something else with Trespasser which is insane system requirements for when it was released. Of course, we all went back years later and ran Trespasser when mainstream hardware could support it, didn't we?

PS, Give monolith some credit for seemingly bringing a game out when they said they would.
Actually the release date has been pushed back at least once on this game in typical Monolith fashion.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 19:23.

183. No subject Aug 6, 2005, 16:34 Semprini

Anyone who finds this game scary should go seek out Miffy books. Come on!! What on Earth does this game do that countless others don't??

Slow motion was deeply underwhelming. I just don't think it's something that suits 1st person games that well. In Max Payne - when it was still new - it worked well because it was 3rd person and accompanied the action.

Maybe the full game will change my mind, but the demo was deeply disappointing.

182. Re: ... Aug 6, 2005, 16:32 Riley Pizt

I am very impressed by the character models and facial animation.
Monolith's games since NOLF have always done a really good job with this. Prior Half-Life 2, they even had the best lip-syncing (I would say it is on par with Half-Life 2 in that department).

While the animation might not be as good as HL2's it works bloody well.
While the grunts you fight are too faceless for me, the character models from the cutscenes are top notch and equivalent to those of Half-Life 2.

181. No subject Aug 6, 2005, 16:27 nightfend

Well I read all the comments on these forums last night, and was SURE that my machine would have problems as I only have a 6600GT. It turns out I was wrong, the game ran great. I was able to play at 1024x768 with no framerate problems, and the settings were on maximum including soft shadows.
I did have a stuttering sound issue until I toggled on EAX 2.0, then it stopped.
I have an Athlon 64 3400+, so maybe the CPU is more important than anything else in determining a good framerate for this game.

BTW - Loved the big armored soldiers, and the slow motion effects when you hit the CTRL key. Too bad the demo is so short. Definitely going to buy this game though.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 17:01.

180. Re: F.E.A.R demo Aug 6, 2005, 16:06 Ratty

I actually did find it a bit scary at times and games never scare me.

Watching the bad guys turn to skeletons when hit with the plasma gun gave me a big smile.

179. F.E.A.R demo Aug 6, 2005, 15:59 TorTorden

Okay my two cent's. but first thing first.
P4 3.0GH HT
1GB ram
R9800XT 256MB.
Game is looking good and running as well at as high a frame rate as 60+ but stays mostly just over 30+ with very slight dipps, at a modest resolution of 1024*768(used fraps). With everything except sound set to medium(max) and shadows on (not soft) no fsaa of course, but with a taste of AA (2x)

I find game at that setting to completely as expected (Whoooohaaaa:)) I love how these guys actually on some points try to flank (if I give them time.) And the gunfights play like a blend of D3,HL2, with a small dose of farcry.
as for the horror aspect. mheh, not much shivers (although I am not easily scared by games, movies on the other hand tough %))

as for the guys experiencing the black spots, I assume nothing is over clocked?, (just have to ask) now the only problem I see with this is that our protagonist, whom we actually can see in this game (can't remember that since the jurassic park game that bombed a few years ago, I can't remember a title.)
Have definitely been equipped with the best water resistant boots I have ever seen. (the jesus bug, as mentioned before.) As for the game I'm waiting with anticipation.

PS, Give monolith some credit for seemingly bringing a game out when they said they would.

edited for spellcheck
Yes, I abuse grammar for a profession.
This comment was edited on Aug 6, 16:02.

Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

178. No subject Aug 6, 2005, 15:40 Semprini

This hardly seems like the most remarkable game ever. Choppy framerate for starters. Then there's the "marines going into random place for random reason" type story with the half-arsed "no, no, it's a horror" bit tagged on. ("No, no, seriously - there's a scary child! Really!!!)

Unexciting graphics, average gameplay, no obvious story, and poor performance. Not to mention the 600mb download!!!!

Having said that, enemies leaping through windows was quite cool, and the shadows were reasonably good. But that's about it. Otherwise desperately underwhelming. The reviews are going to have to be bloody good to persuade me on this one.

177. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2005, 14:58 Parallax Abstraction

Anyone who says these graphics are inferior to doom III is a complete and total FOOL. Do you people even pay attention? This game Combines Real time lighting *With* high res textures and *with* high and varied levels of Bump mapping and Shaders and *with* extremely high polly models.

I mean seriously folks. Its like half of you took STUPID PILLS just because an occasional crate is to square. This game puts Doom-III and H2 to shame graphically for what it does. I read some of these posts before i played the demo and found myself getting more and more pissed off with each new area. Starting right off the bat. Did you guys even look at the details in the models? Did you even look at how high detail the wall, Concrete, floor etc etc textures are? Then to all be Normal mapped with volumetric lighting???

Well, if someone with such an articulate argument as you says it, it MUST be true!

Parallax Abstraction
Founder of StateOfGaming.org - Coming Soon
Commentary & Discussion About the Video Game Industry and Its Future

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

176. Re: Aug 6, 2005, 14:44 Ratty

It surprised me, if only because I've got that 3.4, 2GB, x850xtpe thing going on
Yeah, I have a high end system too, 3.6 GHz, 2 GB, x800XT. Even turning everything down to minimum: shadows, shaders, textures, details, light, no AA, no AF, no VSynch, framerates were still bad throughout the demo. Yes, right at the beginning going around the corner was very slow. The rest of the demo was playable with only a couple more real slowdowns, but it was never smooth or particularly pleasant. If there's no more optimaztion for them to do by this point, I think I'll pass on this until I get a new video card, which ain't going to happen for awhile.

The demo was okay, pretty fun, though nothing revolutionary that I could see (but it was a short demo). It reminded me very much of Far Cry for soem reason. Only a limited number of weapons you can carry, cycling through different types of grenades, even the slo mo bar which was like Far Cry's sprint bar. The AI and the environment reminded me a lot of Far Cry too. The slo mo bar *was* interesting and fun. At first I thought it would make things too easy, especially since it auto regenerated fairly quickly--no need for special powerups--but as the demo progressed it became clear the game could be challenging even with it.

Thanks to Ray for his suggestion of turning head bob down to 50%. That's the sweet spot. Jumping is still weird and Monolithy. You come down too fast and there's that annoying staggering or something. Oh well, I got used to it in NOLF.

I hope the full game distinguishes itself from Far Cry a bit more.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 14:47.

175. Re: ... Aug 6, 2005, 14:09 buttbongfiesta

larger than d3?
thats an understatement

174. Re: Aug 6, 2005, 13:39 Beamer

I didn't have the black fleck problem.

Did anyone else have significant slowdowns when turning the first couple of corners, particularly in the sewer? I guess loading textures. Once I got inside it mostly stopped.

It surprised me, if only because I've got that 3.4, 2GB, x850xtpe thing going on.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

173. Re: Aug 6, 2005, 12:37 kanniballl

Basically when i get close to a wall theres black flecks that flicker in and out of existance. It might just be a clipping problem or something, but it is annoying when it happens

I'm still downloading, so I can't say if I will experience it.

But it sounds like a gitch prevalent in Deus Ex II when it came out. Drove me friggin bonkers.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

172. Re: ... Aug 6, 2005, 12:21 Malakai

HL2 did characters, physics, plot, narration and large environment wells

I agree with the first two points there, but plot and narration are different (i didnt like it at all) however the last point is only half true. They cheated with the large environments with the Sky boxes. If anything FEAR has larger environments than both HL2 and D3. Not once during that single level was there a stop for loading. And that level was pretty damn big.

I am very impressed by the character models and facial animation. While the animation might not be as good as HL2's it works bloody well.

Also someone stated earlier that the higher the graphics settings the darker the game gets. I just noticed this. It's pretty funky as it lends even more atmosphere to the game. Also i was messing around with putting things on maximum and changing the resolution and i've found that changing from 1024 to 1152 made the framerate drop by about 5 frames, but changing any other settings did nothing to diminish the frame rate.

Then again, i do have a bit of a beast of a PC, an Athlon 64 3500 (90nm core), Gefore 6800 Ultra and 1GB of ram. I'm jsut looking vey forward to this game.

171. ... Aug 6, 2005, 12:08 theyarecomingforyou

I mean seriously folks. Its like half of you took STUPID PILLS just because an occasional crate is to square. This game puts Doom-III and H2 to shame graphically for what it does.

I think it looks much worse overall... animations are poor, level design is incredibly bland and blocky (like all Monolith games... guys, hire some decent level designers!!), characters aren't even close to Half-Life 2 realism, etc. The HL2 engine is pretty average/poor in terms of technology, but it is more convincing that any other game has managed - through physics, models, animations, atmosphere, it manages to convey a real environment. Whilst the FEAR engine may have the potential to be better than D3 and HL2 it certainly doesn't achieve it.

Doom 3 did darkness/atmosphere well... HL2 did characters, physics, plot, narration and large environment wells. FEAR does a lot of things reasonably but I feel it falls flat.

Still, to each their own.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

170. No subject Aug 6, 2005, 11:27 ExcessDan

I just wish the blood splatters that I decorate the wall with wouldn't disappear so quickly. The rest of it I like.

Mayor Dan
------------
"Take me Jesus, take me Allah, rape me in my room
Torch our days in paranoia while we gorge ourselves on gloom"

ExcessDan

229 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo