Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

F.E.A.R. SP Demo

As promised, a playable F.E.A.R. single-player demo is now available, looking to strike some of the First Encounter Assault and Reconnaissance of Monolith's upcoming paranormal first-person shooter into gamers. The download is available on This Sierra Downloads Page, and mirrored on 1UP, 3D Gamers, 4players.de (Germany), ActionTrip, Computer Gamers (Romania), eXtreme-Players.de (Germany), FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), Filerush (torrent), Gamer's Hell, GameSpot DLX (registration required), VGPro, and Worthplaying.

View
229 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

129. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2005, 19:48 Riley Pizt

Also, the nails go into set spots on the bodies, not anywhere
NOLF 2 is the same way (with its arrows and throwing stars). What did you expect? No game that I know of can do location-based attachments which aren't tied to fixed positions related to the model's bones.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 20:31.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

128. Re: It's a resource hog. Aug 5, 2005, 19:44 Fantaz

Honestly it is very optimized after the MP Beta. I ran with everything at max at 1024 res with just 1 or 2 hiccups. Graphically the game is better then Half Life 2 and Doom 3. Fantaz what specs ya running on?

How can you say that this game has better gfx than HL2 and Doom3? Now better A.I. == I would understand, but in the graphics department D3 and HL2 still conquer the market. They also perform a lot faster with less chop and chug. Even my old ATi 9800Pro card has better performance than this game! o_O

127. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2005, 19:43 Beamer

Playing it again, I realized you do, in fact, walk on water. I figured the water was just shallow, but no, you walk on it.

Also, the nails go into set spots on the bodies, not anywhere. Fire near the ass and it goes in the ass. Fire a foot away but in the same region and it stick right on top of the other. Disappointing.

Go into the blood corridor, though, and punch the ceiling. Now that's a cool effect.

Also try blowing the guys out of the helicopter with the particle weapon before they even hit the ropes. Falling skeletons! Then plant a proximity mine by the flaming barrel. Door opens, everything blows up, limbs and skeletons go flying!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

126. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2005, 19:39 Riley Pizt

I'm fairly glad publishers weren't in the habit of issuing patches back then
Actually some of the programs had errata articles in subsequent issues with code changes to type in. What I hated is when you had to wait another month for the next issue after all that work just to get the program to run.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 19:43.

125. Re: ... Aug 5, 2005, 19:29  famished 

28 hours remaining... sigh.

124. ... Aug 5, 2005, 18:45 theyarecomingforyou

HEHEE! I used to make my aunt (who was a secretary at a law firm and an insanely fast typist) come over so I could dictate those to her! Even then I don't remember getting too many to work properly, but I have to say I'm fairly glad publishers weren't in the habit of issuing patches back then

lol... I forgot about them. I remember getting a book from the library and spending hours typing them all in, only for most of them to fail (or be incredibly unimpressive).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

123. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2005, 18:33 MeatForce

Oh god Jedi... I totally forgot about copying code from computer maagazines so i could have free games and programs. hahah. Good stuff. That and endless hours of making stupid little BASIC programs that asked you for a password and changed colors on the screen. ASCII was king.

"Goto 10"

HEHEE! I used to make my aunt (who was a secretary at a law firm and an insanely fast typist) come over so I could dictate those to her! Even then I don't remember getting too many to work properly, but I have to say I'm fairly glad publishers weren't in the habit of issuing patches back then

Still remember the day my dad came home with the 8k expansion cartridge for our Vic 20 and I was like, "you mean it has *13k* of RAM now???!!!!?!!?!!" and then got in trouble for swearing

-----
I actually get paid for this..

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

122. Re: AI the culprit for Aug 5, 2005, 18:29 Riley Pizt

The engine is just a high end resource hog just like Doom3
NO, it isn't. Doom 3 I can run. This game is hardly playable, and it doesn't look as good as Doom 3 given the settings I have to use.

121. Re: OK Kiddies Aug 5, 2005, 18:27 Riley Pizt

All the performance complainers should realize the full game hasn't gone gold yet, they're still optimizing. This demo is based on an earlier version--we're 2 months from release still.
We are also almost six months since the release of the first public FEAR multiplayer beta, and the performance has not really improved. I remember the Gearbox apologists saying the same thing about the Halo beta, and the final product proved them wrong as it performed just as badly.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 02:11.

120. Re: AI the culprit for Aug 5, 2005, 18:26 Hump

The multiplayer beta also ran like shit, and it has no AI.

the MP beta ran fine for me. The engine is just a high end resource hog just like Doom3, theres no getting around it. Next generation of video cards will give everyone a leg up and then another developer will put another engine out that taxes those cards. Its how things have always worked.

RE: SP Demo;

great stuff though it seems they've ripped several ideas from The Shining.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers
This comment was edited on Aug 5, 18:26.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

119. Re: AI the culprit for Aug 5, 2005, 18:20 Riley Pizt

A lot of folks around here have said that AI requires a lot of processor power. Can that be the reason the game seems to be a resouce hog, as people seem gelerally impressed with it?
The multiplayer beta also ran like shit, and it has no AI.

There is just something wrong with the game in terms of performance just like Halo for the PC. You don't see it on the screen.

118. Re: Nice demo Aug 5, 2005, 18:12 Riley Pizt

Athlon 64 3200
My guess is that he has an Athlon XP not a 64. That's a big difference.

117. Re: It's a resource hog. Aug 5, 2005, 18:08 Prez

Yeah, everyone knows the bug fixes are supposed to come AFTER the game's release onto store shelves.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

116. Re: It's a resource hog. Aug 5, 2005, 18:06 Riley Pizt

It's short, though, so who knows what the full version will bring.
Monolith's history of demos suggests that what you see now is the game. Expect no performance improvements and few bug fixes if any.

115. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2005, 18:02 Hpankin

rock climber done said...

I totally forgot about copying code from computer maagazines so i could have free games and programs.

I remember doing that for "Laser Chess" for my Commodore 64. What a great game that was. And to think I get annoyed at the multiple CD install routine of today? Ha!

I'm at only 23% on FEAR.

114. Re: It's a resource hog. Aug 5, 2005, 17:59 Riley Pizt

Remember all those games that promised AI throwing over tables and hiding behind it
You obviously never played NOLF 2. That AI action was new for Monolith then.

The FEAR AI seemed like a solid, evolutionary step for Monolith when I got a demo of the game at E3. And the game appeared to run well. I simply had no idea that the Super PC's used at E3 were required to play the game.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 18:00.

113. No subject Aug 5, 2005, 17:59 Malakai

I like this game. I love the ladder scene in the darkened room. That really scared the shit out of me. This game looks absolutely fantastic.

I put all the options on high (apart from FSAA that was off) at the 1024x768 resolution and it ran pretty damn good. There was a little lag when i entered a new room/area but apart from that it ran smooth as a baby's butt.

I love that particle weapon too, it's so damn funky, not to mention the grenade explosion effects. The nailgun is pretty damn good too. AI seems to be a cut above the rest as well.

I think this game will be pre-ordered. I just hope they can pull the level of atmosphere from the demo and keep it up throughout the whole game.

112. Good demo, but Square Aug 5, 2005, 17:55 Tumbler

Just finished the demo, it's definitely short but it looks very pretty and the AI surprised me a few times.

I was skeptical that the AI did what they were bragging about in a recent article. They said it reponds to the situation different each time and I have to say I'm impressed.

High points: Very pretty, single player content has a very distinct mood that makes you gasp every now and then. Overall and extremely entertaining demo and impressive looking game.

Low Points: Too many square objects. Reminds me of older games. Some areas early on are very blocky and it just looks bad. Suggested settings for my PC did not turn on AA. I forced it on to 4x and it ran ok but had to stutter for a second very often to load textures. After running through the demo a few times the textures were all loaded and it worked really well. Still some slow down when a lot starts happening. Did not have performance test as in demo.???

Unpaid Employee and Fanboy of DICE and anything BF2.
This comment was edited on Aug 5, 17:56.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

111. Re: As Usual Aug 5, 2005, 17:54 Riley Pizt

Its currently $12 per quarter. Thats 2-3 beers
I'd rather have the beer.

110. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2005, 17:48 Beamer

Yeah, the last time through I noticed the reflection on the ceiling. Pretty sweet.

Game is fun. All I can say.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

229 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo