Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

A recent editorial about BF2 complained that the voting system allowed jealous players to boot someone from a server for playing too well. I'm not sure what kind of servers (or crack) that author has been on, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a successful kick vote for someone being a griefer, much less being too successful. A simple problem with the voting system off the top of my head... Why on earth should you need a majority vote from the whole server to kick someone? I was on a team with someone who desperately needed kicking, only there was no way for the other team to be aware of it. There were about 20 different efforts launched to kick him, and they kept failing by garnering only 20-something of 40-something required votes. If more than 20 players of 32 on your team want you kicked, that should be more than sufficient... why would that require support from the other team (who may actually like the fact that your side is stuck with the troublemaker)?

Kickin' Links: Thanks Mike Martinez, Ant, and EvilToast.
Play Time: Ball Revamped III Andromeda. Thanks User Friendly.
Links: National Sandwich Month. Who knew?
Guitar Shred Show - Mr.Fastfinger.
Stories: Italian river 'full of cocaine'.
In Outer Suburbs, Lighting Up the Night.
Media: Infinite Flickr: The Movie. Thanks Devicer.
Science! One 'cure all' flu jab for life. One shot to rule them all.
Shortages Stifle a Boom Time for the Solar Industry.
Hurricane caused 'tallest wave'. 90 Feet "would have dwarfed a 10-story building"?
Follow-up: Australia looks for ways to end cane toad menace. Snakehead fish maybe?
Teh Funny: Dr. Fun.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2005, 11:14 xXBatmanXx

Oh sorry, I thought we did. Cause I got auto switched a couple of times.

My wants: GTA DC (politicians) and GTA FL (crazy nut job lawyers)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2005, 00:43 Zathrus

Great server... but never played on the same team as you man. When I joined you were already on the MEC team, and leading it by a good margin.

Hope to get in a good Blue's squad at some point. And yeah, I'm always amazed at the people who throw themselves headlong at the nearest spawn point over and over and over. I'll jump in a jeep, head back, and get their spawn points.

50. No subject Aug 6, 2005, 00:06 xXBatmanXx

Had a great time in BF2 tonight!

Zathrus, Sponge and myself ended up on the same team for a while, got auto switched and had to beat them. hhehehehe Thanks again sponge. That is a great server.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

49. Re: Griefer voting? Aug 5, 2005, 21:20 Prez

Not to divert the current topic, but has anyone else checked out the Mr. Fasfinger OotB link? Maybe it's because I am guitar player myself, but I found it simply amazing.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

48. Re: Griefer voting? Aug 5, 2005, 20:54 UttiniDaKilrJawa

I just wish I could get the dang game to run without rebooting my system when I play on a ranked server.

47. Griefer voting? Aug 5, 2005, 20:36 Sprawl

You should be able to hold a team vote where a minimal number of votes can send a player (griefer) to the opposite team. Then if they continue to act up from there, that team can kick them off the server. This gives more power to each individual voter but splits it across two teams so a personal vendetta won't keep somebody off a server.

46. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2005, 20:03 xXBatmanXx

I've got a ranked server @ 70.86.37.162:16567

Between all our clanmates, pubs are usually very organized, and we get some good teamplay going. You'll find me on there as sponge.

Thanks sponge! I found a new home. Played for an hour or so, going back now.

45. Re: BF2 Aug 5, 2005, 20:02 xXBatmanXx

I don't have the game yet but I was wondering - is flying the helo easier than in Desert Combat?

IMHO, it took me a little while to get used to it. Similar, but not the same. Your helo will hover instead of head towards the ground if you let off the acceleration. Also, you really haev to try hard to land, it won't go down by itself.

44. Re: BF2 Aug 5, 2005, 18:28 Prez

I don't have the game yet but I was wondering - is flying the helo easier than in Desert Combat? After getting okay with the chopper in DC, flying one in BV seemed like the easiest thing in the world.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

43. Re: BF2 Aug 5, 2005, 18:24 xXBatmanXx

Strike at Karkland. Vast majority of the US team will go for the nearest flag, and have to fight the majority of the enemy team. Simply grab a humvee, get a few guys in it, and go around the side and go for the enemy's base. You can take out their base spawn point, commander toys and take at least 2 if not 3 flags before they figure out what's going on.
I've already got a list of guys I've played a few games with who are excellent gunners so when they implement the friends list.

AMEN BROTHER! It blows my mind that people think they have to:
1. Go head on
2. Cap all the points in a row
3. Don't go around to backdoor the enemy to get them split up

I am a huge fan of a tight squad that doesn't run into a battle. most of my points come from behind enemy lines.

42. Re: BF2 Aug 5, 2005, 18:04 The Half Elf

Best way to fly heli's is to get in one and see how it handles. The Cobra isn't very well armored but is slim and agile, making for some nice escape routes if ya get blindsided during a hover flag cap. And it is alot easier to get through warehouses. If you start gettig out of control aim the nose down a bit and use the S key or decend key, it will really help stablize the heli. Transport Heli's are not Attack Heli's so don't treat them as such or you'll go barelling into a building or tree, or fly right over the flag. Also for very quick stops, raise the nose up and use the S key.
And if you can, team up with someone who is a shitty pilot but a damn good gunner, that realized just cause the warning alarm is going off and ya only have 3 bars of armor is not a reason to bail out. Not to mention that they realize that 2 guys can cap a hell of alot faster then 1. And make sure that they know when to 'call out' targets (q key), especially during heli duels.
As for jets, I have no clue lol. I haven't plugged in the joystick yet to fly one and I keep putting it off. If anything I use them to get across the map.
I always wish people would wise up to the fact that just cause there is a close flag to capture near your start point does not mean it's the smartest thing to do. Example: Strike at Karkland. Vast majority of the US team will go for the nearest flag, and have to fight the majority of the enemy team. Simply grab a humvee, get a few guys in it, and go around the side and go for the enemy's base. You can take out their base spawn point, commander toys and take at least 2 if not 3 flags before they figure out what's going on.
I've already got a list of guys I've played a few games with who are excellent gunners so when they implement the friends list.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 18:06.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

41. No subject Aug 5, 2005, 17:57 Tim

Never flown any rotor-crafts before but helios in the Desert Combat mod for the original Battlefield was by far the most intuitive.
In Battlefield 2 the copters don't descend with any urgency. It's as if they modeled in the effect of cutting out the throttle but not changing the angle of the main rotor to provide negative thrust.

40. Re: BF2 Aug 5, 2005, 17:43 Skookum

I hope this helps other people having difficulties with joysticks in BF2. I was just about going nuts with it for a little while. I'm using a logitech FF stick (though I have a MS FF2, an amazing stick unfortunately no longer supported by MS) and I spent more than a few hours tweaking the settings with DXTweak2.exe, a logitech utility you can get from them: http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/Tools/DXTweak2/DXTweak2.exe. Essentially, the flight controls for BF2 are insanely sensitive, and moving a joystick even slightly will cause your plane/chopper to move a lot. You can try LWemon.exe (the software Logitech includes with their stick) but I didn't notice any difference with them. Note that you cannot save your deadzone settings, and this is a problem with winXP. However, I find that using a DXtweak setting of 0,128,255 for the x and y axes allows me to control my chopper well in dogfights, hover without constantly overcompensating, and fly planes with impunity. This is still with a lot of practice, so don't think it will magically end all your JS problems. Also note that each aircraft flies very differently. If you make your settings really stable for your Cobra, you may find that you can't even turn the Blackhawk or MI-28.

39. Re: BF2 Aug 5, 2005, 16:57 LugNut

I've had many a joystick in my day...hell some of them even got drilled, and then screwed down to the desk.(Still have that desk too, 4 holes and all).

Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2 is what I use now, having a heavy base and all, and learning finess(sp), it never moves, and doesn't provide feedback in this game persay, rather, just the right amount of resistance to not over do it, helping the finess part. Anyway, I didn't find a picture, but if your ok with moving your hand from your KB to your JS, then use the throttle option, and you can increase/decrease speed, and just leave it.
I prefer the keyboard for all helo options myself, because while I have gone hours in the same machine before, it's rare honestly, and I need to be able to increase/decrease speed at any given time to fly effectively. Ya never know when swooping below a bridge, or crane is needed, and diving isn't always the answer, that's how you nose dive to the ground right there....:)

Hovering is ok...the JS I use has a sensor on it, leave your hand off the JS to long, and it will "relax", and the stick may fall one way or the other, taking your bird with you!

38. Re: BF2 Aug 5, 2005, 16:42 xXBatmanXx

How do you maintain constant speed (other than max) with keyboard helo? This is my real sticking point. Needs to be a freaking cruise control for speed instead of all-or-nothing like it is now.

Tappity tap tap tap. I am so used to it from 1942. Also, I don't know if anyone else notices, but the helos have a tendency to hover themselves if you don't do anything at all. I take advantage of this 'feature' hehehehe.

37. This been posted yet? Aug 5, 2005, 16:42 Creston

Not sure, if it has I'm sorry.

Doom 3 Teaser

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doom/trailers.php

Creston

36. Re: BF2 Aug 5, 2005, 16:17 Zathrus

I am great with keyboard helo

How do you maintain constant speed (other than max) with keyboard helo? This is my real sticking point. Needs to be a freaking cruise control for speed instead of all-or-nothing like it is now.

And I tried a joystick briefly... didn't really help and was inconvienent to use because there's no place for me to really put it easily on my desk. The keyboard drawer barely even holds my mouse and keyboard.

35. Re: BF2 Aug 5, 2005, 16:12 xXBatmanXx

Not to make fun by any means, but I don't see why a guide is needed for either of those vehicles. It's not like real life, with tons of gadgets and switches and settings to control. You go forward generally, shoot at things, maybe roll, or turn, wasd covers all but fire, and that can be done with anything you choose.

Pointers are what I am looking for. I would probably only use them enough to get the generic badges, as I am a better asset to the team as a squad leader, grunt, or helo pilot. Leave the jets for someone else I guess.

I may have to give up my stuborness of not using the keyboard in the game. I am great with keyboard helo, but might have to swap to my flightstick for the jets.

34. Re: BF2 Aug 5, 2005, 15:52 LugNut

Not to make fun by any means, but I don't see why a guide is needed for either of those vehicles. It's not like real life, with tons of gadgets and switches and settings to control. You go forward generally, shoot at things, maybe roll, or turn, wasd covers all but fire, and that can be done with anything you choose.

I use a MS stick, the one that jiggles, and it's got enough resistance, that all that is really needed, as with bf1942, and bfv, is just a little finess... and flying is pretty straight forward. Like anything, if you over do it, your going to crash and burn.

The birds are almost like those in bfv, except that they don't turn 360 quite as easily at higher speeds, they only 360 well at low speed, and then still not as well at bfv. To turn quickly, I learned immediately you best option is to pop the nose, drop the tail, roll/turn right/left and then correct. At fast speeds, that's the only real way of turning around quick enough to hit someone flying by you after you engage in a fight. My .02 anyway...

33. Re: BF2 Aug 5, 2005, 15:43 Zathrus

anyone have any pointers or a guide for these uber-fast hard to control jets?

Heck, I'd settle for a guide on how to fly choppers.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo