Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On BF2 Sales

This DICE Press Release Dice (thanks Frans) follows-up on yesterday's EA financial results by discussing the sales figures achieved by Battlefield 2 and the BF series in general:

In late June Digital Illusions’ game Battlefield 2 was launched in stores around the world. More than one million copies of the product were shipped to retailers until 30th of June 2005. The games in the Battlefield series, including Battlefield 2, have now sold approximately 6 million copies.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2005, 04:50 Ventura

Actually the reason why you can only play the 16-player maps in single player is because EA couldn't be bothered doing the bot pathmapping so they'd work with the larger maps.

Basically single player support got left till last, and was then scrapped, presumably because they ran outta time and had to ship the game by a certain date.

AFAIK only the 16-player version of the Operation Clean Sweep map has both jets and helis in it, but for what its worth, the AI can fly them pretty well.

Oh, and my BF2 went back half a week after I bought it. Bless EB and their 7-day satisfaction policy. That game was an even bigger letdown for me than Dungeon Siege, and that is so saying something

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2005, 01:15 Jamil

I think the reason why only 16 player maps in single player, is because they didn't want to code bots that could fly jets/helis.

Nothing else to it.

63. Re: Tim Jul 27, 2005, 22:52 sc4r4b

I just realized that you cannot choose a map larger then 16 in single player? Any idea why? and a solution??

There's a 64 player mod right here...
Just place in you battlefield2/mods/bf2/ai/ yes overwrite the one already there it wont hurt any thing and no it wont affect online play so enjoy 64 bots in single player. Warning: If you have a Slow computer this will probably make your game lag as it takes more processor power to control multiple bots.
http://www.planetbattlefield.com/images/news2/aidefault64bots.rar

I don't play video games... I play murder simulators.
http://bf2s.com/player/43526450/

62. Re: All jokes aside Jul 27, 2005, 22:15 Hump

When I played I gave up on sniping quickly. I understand why snipers are underpowered, but why not just take them out?

Theres many ways to balance out sniper rifles, and other weapons for that matter, but the single thing I hate is a lazy developer that just cuts the damage numbers instead of opting for a solution thats more elegant. Two games I can think of right off the bat that don't sacrifice power is joint Ops and FarCry. FC has the reflection glare tipping opponents off as to where the sniper is camping. Joint ops simply has gunfire directional detection on the minimap. Because of the latter I've never bitched about snipers in JO. Rather, I took great pleasure hunting them down and sneaking up behind to knife the camping little bastard. both solutions allow for a few good kills but then forces you to move on to a different spot which is what any good sniper would do anyhow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

61. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2005, 22:04 Hump

The games in the Battlefield series, including Battlefield 2, have now sold approximately 6 million copies.

AHH, ok. Very typical mistake for me (read; not reading before I run my mouth).

NM. Carry on

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

60. No subject Jul 27, 2005, 20:02 Tim

I just realized that you cannot choose a map larger then 16 in single player? Any idea why? and a solution??  

59. Re: lol Jul 27, 2005, 19:51 xXBatmanXx

i don't even read Batmanx's stuff because his messages are too convoluted and wrap into his signature. Nothing against ya bro, i just can't read anything u write.

also, like someone said.. teh accuracy in this game seems way off. completely inconsistant as well.

That is fine. One less person to piss off.

The sniper rifles are great in the game. You have to be pretty good to kill someone with them. I agree with others about the snipe fests in other games....it gets a little ridiculous. The scope does need to be tweaked, as you really can't see very much past your regular distance.

For you who don't know how to read forum posts.
****THIS IS THE END OF THE MESSAGE*****

*****THIS IS THE START OF THE SIG***** (notice there is always spacing between sig and body of text)

xXBatmanXx - Lance Corporal xXBatmanXx
http://bf2s.com/player/xXBatmanXx/
I play violent video games.
I have played all of the GTA games and I am not a criminal - according to the government, I am an anomaly.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

58. Re: lol Jul 27, 2005, 19:41 ColoradoHoudini

i don't even read Batmanx's stuff because his messages are too convoluted and wrap into his signature. Nothing against ya bro, i just can't read anything u write.

also, like someone said.. teh accuracy in this game seems way off. completely inconsistant as well..

57. lol Jul 27, 2005, 19:24 Shataan

" Personally I am glad they nerfed the sniper rifle. I am sick of games (like joint ops) that become sniper fests and you cant do anything without some lame sniper shooting half your squad."

rough translation:

"I am glad they nerfed the weaps, cause I am so tired of having to use or think about cover or concealment when I quake"

This is exactly why mil combat games have been dumbed down so bad by the game devs. They know the Majority of players now have no patience. So Novalogic makes all their games dumbazz now to sell to these no patience dudes who just wanna quake with combat skins.

56. Re: 6 million copies Jul 27, 2005, 19:07 BicycleRepairMan

Tip: Do it once then copy the controls.con, video.con, audio.con and general.con files from \BicycleRepairMan's Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\xxxx\ to the other profile

Yeah, I sort-of knew you could do something like that, Hell, its probably easier to modify those files in notepad , than to go through the crap-ass interface, but I still think its a CRIME to keep this config system unchanged in 3 full games, without the VERY LEAST include a) Clear all or b)tell me which function <key> is assigned to when its taken

Thats like a half line of code or something, it probably takes one of their coders as much time as it takes for a normal person to configure their controls just once.

http://www.thebrpage.net

55. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2005, 18:11 sc4r4b

The games in the Battlefield series, including Battlefield 2, have now sold approximately 6 million copies.

54. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2005, 18:11 mpratt

Wah, wah, I here the tears flowing over the poor sniper rifle. Personally I am glad they nerfed the sniper rifle. I am sick of games (like joint ops) that become sniper fests and you cant do anything without some lame sniper shooting half your squad.

I say tough noogies, get out of the grass and stop hiding and play like real men and use knives to kill. Not gay sniper rifles.

Personally Id nerf em some more.

53. No subject Jul 27, 2005, 17:43 Hump

6 MILLION?

The server/player numbers I see don't reflect anything like that. Even assuming only 10% take advantage of the online MP its still far short of what one would expect.

EDIT: a little high school math and I get the following
10% of 6 mil = 600,000
current unfiltered ASE results rounded = approx 6000 players. Even taking into account for the time of day this still doesn't add up (pun intended).

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 17:49.

- Jim Goad

52. <SIGH> Jul 27, 2005, 17:18 Parallax Abstraction

6 million copies...so many lemmings...

Parallax Abstraction
Founder of StateOfGaming.org - Coming Soon
Commentary & Discussion About the Video Game Industry and Its Future

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

51. Re: 6 million copies Jul 27, 2005, 17:04 Mopap

but I've never seen someone act like the game is the only thing that matters in his life, or that the game is more important than his life.

Fo shizzle. I mean, if you were that crazy about bf2, you'd play it constantly, which would GREATLY cut into important time gaining faction with the timbermaw furbolgs. Comon!!

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 17:05.

50. Re: All jokes aside Jul 27, 2005, 17:01 Jow

Gotta agree on the flakiness of the sniper rifles. I still remember the time I snuck up behind someone and was within 15-20 feet of them max and somehow, despite being crouched (not prone) and zoomed in, I missed 4-5 times (with the M95) in a row. That he didn't spin around and confront me after the first shot was a miracle because he had to have heard the report, but after the last shot he finally realized I was there and we did the pistol dance. I ended up killing him with a grenade tossed onto the ground of front of me as I backpedaled, but with a supposedly high accuracy weapon missing that many times at such short range, something's strange.

49. Re: All jokes aside Jul 27, 2005, 16:27 El Cabron

The unlockable sniper (I think it is M95 or whatever) can 1 shot kill other snipers and I think medics.

48. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2005, 15:57 Shataan

here is one problem I ran into. My only real BF 2 problem. I went to play a Scrim last night on our Unranked Server. PB kept kicking me cause I needed a certain file the server had.

But our Ranked Server? No problems. So for some odd reason I think the Unranked Server PB is not updating correctly. Oddness.

47. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2005, 15:53 sc4r4b

yes and lets see how much sales go down due to all the headaches. now they got their money, they are at it again with an expansion.

It really doesn't matter because 1 million copies of a PC game shipped to retail = success!

I know the game has issues, but I personally have not had any show stoppers... bring on the expansion!

46. No subject Jul 27, 2005, 15:48 VampiricuS

yes and lets see how much sales go down due to all the headaches. now they got their money, they are at it again with an expansion.

"I fart in your general direction!"

"Error no keyboard. Press F1 to continue"

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo