Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Federal Rockstar Probe

House backs federal investigation of Rockstar Games on GameSpot (thanks Frans) has word on further scaldings in the works over Hot Coffee and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas:

Today's vote advanced House Resolution 376, introduced by Congressman Fred Upton (R-MI). In Upton's words, he is "leading the Congressional effort to determine if a best selling video game maker intentionally deceived the industryís ratings board to avoid an 'Adults-Only' rating."

In a statement, Upton recently said he was "outraged by the brazenness of Rockstar Games in their effort to do an end-run around the ratings system.... Rockstar Gamesí deceit has severely undermined the integrity of the ratings system."

View
158 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

158. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2005, 19:00 BicycleRepairMan

Which by the way if you want to read the entire book is here: http://www.fictionbook.ru/author/braun_dyen/robert_langdon_2_the_da_vinci_code/brown_robert_langdon_2_the_da_vinci_code.html Woot!

The theories in this book are supposed to be fake, apparantly its based on a rather good hoax

But then again, So is the bible, so who cares.

http://www.thebrpage.net

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

157. Re: Jul 27, 2005, 20:26 Dev

Agreed nin. Anger when you discipline is a VERY bad thing. This is one of the things that leads to abuse. If you are angry over something your kid did, put yourself in time out. Wait until you are clearheaded and are thinking levelly again. Think through an appropriate punishment. Dont re-act out of anger.

Especially if you have temper problems.

The one time I remember my dad losing his temper at something I did and cursing me is the one I harborerd resentment at for the longest time (and that wasn't even physical discipline). He doesn't really have a temper problem, and it happened only once, and I'm a pretty strong willed guy.

Heck not even when I went and cut every single wire I could see or reach on his motorcycle (including opening up the seat to get at the stuff underneath) did he lose his temper. This was when I was really young, 6 years old or so. I think I had just discovered the wire cutters. That particular time we both worked for a couple years afterwards fixing it. That is a great example of the punishment fitting the crime. And working together in fixing it helped in bonding, and helped teach me about electronics.

It was when he reacted out of anger that ONE time for some other thing that I harbored resentment.

156. Re: Jul 27, 2005, 19:48 nin

People who beat their children out of anger and bad parenting also tend to beat their spouses.

We've already been over this, but I'll repeat it for your benefit: Anger has no place in disciplining your child. If you can't act like an adult and control your temper, you shouldn't breed. Period.

Please try and keep up...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

I have to apologize for the way I feel... http://www.nin.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

155. Re: Jul 27, 2005, 19:40  famished 

I was never hit as a child and Iím making more money than I know what do with flying 40,000 pound jets also at age 23. So you be the judge...

Yes, let's compare monetary income values with successful parenting. Nice.

People who beat their children out of anger and bad parenting also tend to beat their spouses.

Now let's generalise how someone who tries to restrain their child is also responsible for beating their wives... remember this has nothing to do with anger.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 19:51.

154. Re: Jul 27, 2005, 19:27 JoeCool

People who beat their children out of anger and bad parenting also tend to beat their spouses. Most enlightened people don't have to discipline their children that way anymore, they can actually parent and instill values that prevent abnormal behavior. My parents didn't need to beat me and I turned out better than anyone I know. A friend of mines redneck step-dad (yeah I know itís pretty stereotypical) hit him when we were in elementary school and now he's still living with mom and working at Best buy at age 23. That may or may not be the result of his beatings but Iím 100% sure it is the product of the primitive parenting he received as a child. I was never hit as a child and Iím making more money than I know what do with flying 40,000 pound jets also at age 23. So you be the judge...

153. Re: Jul 27, 2005, 17:07 Dev

They end up missing the BIG picture.
Ok thwart: What is the BIG picture? Elucidate, expound upon this concept.

152. Re: Jul 27, 2005, 16:58 nin

Its just lazy, instead of teaching the child the reason for nothing doing what they did you are just making them not do it out of fear.

Yeah, and which do you think they'll remember longer? Saying "Don't do that" (which they'll hear all the time) or busting their ass?

This "I'm a victim" mentality has gotten WAY out of hand...everyone else is to blame. Let's not take responsibility. We'll all just be victims and somehow, everything will be ok.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

I have to apologize for the way I feel... http://www.nin.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

151. Re: Jul 27, 2005, 16:08 Teddy

We don't hit animals but hitting out kids is somehow alright?

We don't? Have you ever seen how animals are tamed / trained? I highly doubt it. In fact, I highly doubt that you have children yourself even. You sound much like an idealistic twenty something that dreams of having kids and how you'll be such a great parent. That's all well and good for you. Be happy and dream while you can, but do NOT presume to tell anyone else how to parent in the meantime.

Do you consider soldiers slaves? They take beatings on a regular basis as a necessary part of preparing them for the life they're moving into. While it's obvious that you needn't and shouldn't discipline a child to the same extremes, it is a necessary part of preparing them for life. Our world isn't a daydream to walk through, it's not a place where everyone will be nice to you and want to talk things out. It's not a place where everyone is understanding of your faults. The only reason that pacifists can live with relative freedom today is because there are people that are willing to toughen themselves up to defend the rest. If you want to be a victim your whole life, that's fine by me, but don't presume to tell me that I should let my children grow up to be cowards and victims too.

150. Re: Jul 27, 2005, 15:03 JoeCool

When you abuse your kids by beating them like slaves, you are teaching them not to do something out of fear and not teaching them why its wrong to do what they did. Its just lazy, instead of teaching the child the reason for nothing doing what they did you are just making them not do it out of fear. I don't know about you but I don't want my kids to fear my like they would a criminal. We don't hit animals but hitting out kids is somehow alright?

149. Re: Jul 27, 2005, 13:16 thwart

Isn't it strange how the tiny humans like to argue. Tiny humans crave for bandwagons. I especially am annoyed when the tiny humans are riding on their right-wing/left-wing bandwagons. It's funny how they let themselves be compelled to join these bandwagons.

They end up missing the BIG picture.

148. Re: Spanking Jul 27, 2005, 12:57 Rick

If you have a steady job, are not in jail, not addicted to drugs & alcohol or cigarettes, are not abusive or constantly causing trouble - then your parents probably did o.k.

And if your kids are not in any of the situations above then you have done o.k. too.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 12:58.

147. Spanking Jul 27, 2005, 11:10 sc4r4b

I have 2 kids, an eleven year old daughter, and a 2 year old son. I have not spanked my kids but that doesn't mean that I don't believe in it.

I have been giving this topic a lot of thought lately, because I was spanked while growing up. Since I didn't feel the need to spank my daughter I have been wondering if I would have to with my boy.

The thing is that kids are going to make mistakes, a lot of them. If you spank them for every mistake they make you will be doing it several times a day. I see parents in the grocery store doing this all the time. Sad but true. That's the extreme... Is it beneficial to the situation? Hell no. I digress...

There are simply too many factors to take into consideration on whether or not spanking is beneficial or harmful to the development of children. As someone mentioned, everyone is different. Thus, it is absurd to say that there is only one way to parent/discipline a child.

There is no right way to parent! As parents we all make mistakes with our kids and end up fucking them up in one way or another. All my wife and I can do is try to be better than our parents were with us...

I don't play video games... I play murder simulators.

146. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2005, 01:39 Prez

For the love of... It makes me laugh at how someone can sit there and tell me the best way to parent, and if I don't agree, then I am a failure? What the hell is THAT?

And more importantly, what the hell does it have to do with the Federal probe of Rockstar? :I

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

145. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2005, 01:33 Dev

Good thing you dont live in austrailia. They get you for linking to stuff like that there.

144. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2005, 01:32 Xenos Overdrive

Which by the way if you want to read the entire book is here...

You are indeed a saint of the people ^_^

edit: I probably should learn how to spell better.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 01:33.

143. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2005, 01:15 Kxmode

Artists adding hidden symbols in their work isn't old. Davanci did it all the time as well as a host of others.

Which by the way if you want to read the entire book is here: http://www.fictionbook.ru/author/braun_dyen/robert_langdon_2_the_da_vinci_code/brown_robert_langdon_2_the_da_vinci_code.html Woot!

http://music.download.com/kxmode

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 01:16.

142. No subject Jul 27, 2005, 01:10 xXBatmanXx

I got bored with this thread cause I played abunch of BF2 tonight.

I hope everything turned out ok!

xXBatmanXx - Lance Corporal xXBatmanXx
http://bf2s.com/player/xXBatmanXx/
I play violent video games.
I have played all of the GTA games and I am not a criminal - according to the government, I am an anomaly.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

141. No subject Jul 27, 2005, 01:06 Kxmode

Penny Arcade sums this up nicely
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2005-07-20&res=l

And wow! 141 posts! As Chris Tucker said in the Fifth Element, this "is hotter than hot! He's Hot, Hot, HOT!"

http://music.download.com/kxmode

140. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2005, 00:46 Teddy

I don't have any stats in front of me, but I know in my personal experiences all the people I've known who were physically "reprimanded" by their parents ended up with drug/alcohol problems or even (in some cases) run-ins with the law.

I'll be happy to explain that to you when you can explain to me why it's only been a 'problem' in the last 30 years that kids who are physically "reprimanded" by their parents end up with drug/alcohol problems or run-ins with the law.

Before the 1960's generation had children, EVERY child was spanked or punished physically in some way and yet these "problems" were not an issue then. The answer is that it has nothing to do with how people punish their children, it's the result of how our society functions as a whole and the direction it is taking.

Bill Maher made some brief comments on it in a hbo special, calling it the feminization of society, where safety becomes more important than fun and manly behavior is villified. Every time we look at our children doing something inane that we used to do all the time and tell them to stop it because they might get hurt, we're depriving them of the opportunity to learn something that is beyond the simple 'why they shouldn't do that'. The same goes for these pacifist parenting schemes. "Talk to your child." "Send them to the naughty corner." "Give them a time out." If they grow up like that, then when they run into a situation where someone actually DOES hit them, they'll bawl like the pussy you turned them into, which will look pretty foolish at 33.

139. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2005, 00:46 Teddy

*grumbles* Double post. My connection's going all wacky today.
This comment was edited on Jul 27, 00:47.

158 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo