Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF2 Stat Attack

A post to Total Battlefield 2 (thanks Cliff) describes how Battlefield 2 players have had weapons unlocked for them by folks who have found a way to get into the system, saying: "Well, what a wonderful few days it has been. Since EA didn't take the time to respond (or maybe even read) our emails about various stats-server security holes, it clearly showed us how much they care. Therefore, we came to the conclusion that modifying 5 million accounts wouldn't be that big of a deal." This inspired the following response from EA:

In the future, if you really are concerned about "exposing security holes" to EA (which I sincerely doubt) rather than grandstanding, please e-mail me personally since it appears that you don't have the correct contact info. I will PM you the address.

All of the changes made will be rolled back in the next couple hours. Users may have to rechoose any unlocks they would have legitimately made in the last day or so as a result of the roll-back, but no stats should be lost.

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

66. Re: EA Games that broke the mold... Jul 26, 2005, 19:27 Camaro76

Delta Force Series... EA has distributed the Delta Force series for a few years now, not sure for how long... heck, they might have distributed the whole series.

Huh? Sorry but EA only published the Platinum Pack, otherwise the series was all Novalogic's baby (on the PC at least).

At any rate, it's the development studios that broke the mold. EA only paid for it all. I don't believe EA deserves any credit. Good games will be good games regardless of the publisher. Good games exist because of studios like Bullfrog, Maxis, Dynamix, Looking Glass, Blizzard, etc. etc. Anyone with a deep pockets or a pile of cash can fund game development. You still have Sierra/Vivendi, Activision, GT Interactive, Microsoft, UbiSoft, Bethesda Softworks, Codemasters, Dreamcatcher... EA may be an 800 lb. gorilla but it's a big jungle out there.

What happens when games don't come on shiny little round discs anymore? Steam is only the beginning...

---------------------------------------------------
[Brought to you by Firefox, Greasemonkey and my Post Enhancer script!]
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/bluesnewspostenhancer.user.js

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. No subject Jul 26, 2005, 14:48 Animals for Crackers

a graduate of the EB school of forum posters folks....

Indeed! Visit the Gamespot forums just once and you'll come back here w/such a greater appreciation for Blues News and sites like it, despite our differences/disagreements. At least we can attempt to back our opinions up...

You'll normally here responses like " WELL THAT'S UR OPINION!" to intelligent posters on the GS forums, in the face of fact OR logic. Yes, everyone has an opinion but saying "T:V is dumbed down compared to the previous releases" is a fact! You could tell them the Earth was a sphere and they'd come back at you w/that shite...

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 15:20.

64. Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 11:52 Creston

I know everyone always says it so it this point it is cliche more than anything else but here it goes: After Battlefield 2 I'm seriously considering never purchasing an EA game again

Exactly. Everyone always SAY this. But, like sheep, almost noone ever DOES it... When the EA spouse letter came out, approximately 84 million people swore on that selfsame day that they'd NEVER buy another EA game. Until, ofcourse, BF2 came along, and everyone plunked down their money like lemmings, only to be kicked in the balls again.
And apparently, nobody saw this coming? *shakes head*

FUCK EA. STOP BUYING THEIR SHIT.

Creston

Edit : Edited out rather gross overgeneralization.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 12:01.

63. Re: So you don't like BF2... Jul 26, 2005, 11:31 Scottish Martial Arts

The truly pathetic thing is that you people and your distaste for everything EA really hurts noone but you.

What I'm trying to figure out is how this will hurt me. Other than the Battlefield series, the last EA game I purchased was Command and Conquer Generals nearly three years ago. And how was Generals? Alright I guess, pedestrian gameplay but with some fairly high production values. I think my enjoyment of gaming won't suffer by cutting titles like Generals or Medal of Honor Pacific Assault out of my "to buy" list.

62. Re: karma Jul 26, 2005, 11:22 nin

Don't let your hardcore gamer hate get in the way of appreciating Deer Hunter for what it was, a cheap relatively bug free straightforward game, people who never touched a PC game bought it.

All right. That does it. Turn in your Blue's membership card.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

I have to apologize for the way I feel... http://www.nin.com

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

61. Re: karma Jul 26, 2005, 11:15 DDI

Don't let your hardcore gamer hate get in the way of appreciating Deer Hunter for what it was, a cheap relatively bug free straightforward game, people who never touched a PC game bought it.

IIRC the last few Tomb Raiders sold like crap.

Enter the Matrix is an exception... quite a few people enjoyed it despite horrible reviews. The draw there was the quality of the source material

60. Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 10:40 SanitysEdge

"If Doom 3 didn't run like shit on 99% of the communities machine, I would also be very excited to get going on some Action Doom 3."

I am unsure of what you are smoking but Doom 3 runs great on all the computers I tried it on.

When I had a Radeon 9600 np and 512mb ram it ran flawlessly at medium settings, 800x600 at around 40 fps. I now have a GF6800GT and 1 Gig of ram, it runs flawlessly at 1280x1024 at high settings, usually around 60 fps.

You just need to adjust the graphical settings according to your computer.

59. Re: Paid Fan Boy of EA Jul 26, 2005, 10:32 xXBatmanXx

I like how the haters are vehemently crazy over this game while the fanboys are relatively low key.

Because they are all having long sessions of gameplay!

xXBatmanXx - Lance Corporal xXBatmanXx
http://www.bf2tracker.com/bf2_userprofile.php?bf2id=45215952 (back online 7/14/05)

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

58. Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 10:28 xXBatmanXx

LoL hahaha ya be very wary! We dont want to support Satan do we? What are you talking about? Theres a ranking system,weapon unlocks? Ya EA damn those rich people huh? We all hate the bill gates of this world! People that make something from nothing! Damn those guys! What games are you playing now? huh? ZIp zilch none? WOrld of warcraft maybe? I think alot of you are used to something for nothing. The people that are saying this bs is prob hackers or warez freaks. THey are upset because of PB and the login system! Some things cant be warezed! Lol have a nice day! EA OWNZ YOU!!! You dont work for ID do you? Is that John Carmack behind the KB? Just curious?

Therapy is a good thing.

xXBatmanXx - Lance Corporal xXBatmanXx
http://www.bf2tracker.com/bf2_userprofile.php?bf2id=45215952 (back online 7/14/05)

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

57. Re: karma Jul 26, 2005, 10:22 nin

On that note every game thats been on the top 10 list has a great quality in them to put them there, thinking otherwise is moronic.

Bullshit! You think Deer Hunter was quality?

Edit: Enter the Matrix? The last few Tomb Raiders?

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 10:26.

56. Re: karma Jul 26, 2005, 10:17 DDI

Michael Bay's movies are immensely successfui but nevertheless low-quality fast-food Hollywood junk.

Theres a quality in the production of Michael Bay movies just because they aren't art house oscar winners doesn't mean they don't have any "quality", they are high quality popcorn films. On that note every game thats been on the top 10 list has a great quality in them to put them there, thinking otherwise is moronic.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 10:17.

55. Re: karma Jul 26, 2005, 10:11 Zathrus

Have they released the patch that makes it playable on a GeForce 4 yet?

Are you planning to whine about this in every BF2 thread? Get over it already. The GF4 hardware, while good, is outdated and does not support PS1.4 or 2.0. Expect many, many more games that won't support that class of cards. There are effects that are extremely difficult to replicate using PS1.3, and in BF2's case they use them extensively.

Oh, and there is a community effort in progress to replace the shaders with PS1.3 versions that kinda work:
http://forum.game-deception.com/printthread.php?t=7739&page=1&pp=15
and
http://s127802461.websitehome.co.uk/bf2shaders/doku.php

The second one is a blog that lists the currently fixed shaders, the former is the chat thread about the project.

And yes, the GF4 series will run HL2 and D3... but they have a number of shader effects disabled, redone in lower quality, and all run slower. And BF2 has far, far more shader effects than either one of those games, and numerous ones that don't appear in either one.

And, frankly, a GF6200 is well under $100 now and considerably faster than any of the GF4 cards. You don't have to upgrade, but realize that this game is merely the tip of the iceberg.

54. Re: Paid Fan Boy of EA Jul 26, 2005, 09:51 DDI

I like how the haters are vehemently crazy over this game while the fanboys are relatively low key.

53. Re: Posts Jul 26, 2005, 09:49 Zathrus

I was hoping to see some posts about, like, the morality of hacking in situations like this

Heh. You're not new here, you should know better than that!

As for the morality of it -- my bet is that the hackers didn't realistically give EA enough time to respond. The game's only been out for about a month and it's fairly standard to give at least 3 weeks notice except in the case of really severe exploits -- which this was not.

On the flip side, I have no doubt that EA was completely ignoring the hole. They've got enough problems and re-assigning development resources to fixing this was almost certainly not a priority.

I liked having the unlocked weapons last night, although I didn't know why they were all unlocked. I certainly know what my next unlock will be -- if I ever get there. The unlocks and points system are so utterly fucked. Last time I checked the stats tracker estimated my next rank in 80 days, and the rank after that in well over a year. And I'm generally in the top 5 on a map.

Hope they'll be unlocked still, despite EA's claims of a rollback. I'd like to try out some of the other weapons for classes I don't play much.

52. Re: karma Jul 26, 2005, 09:18 nin

success =/ quality

Got that right.

51. Re: karma Jul 26, 2005, 09:12 vacs

Despite it's problems it's still an amazing success. Eat it up people.^

success =/ quality

Just as a reminder to people who seem to forget this fact.

This is actually also true for other domains like music or movies. Michael Bay's movies are immensely successfui but nevertheless low-quality fast-food Hollywood junk. BF2 is no different. Great idea, bad execution.

50. Re: Paid Fan Boy of EA Jul 26, 2005, 09:01 grudgebearer

G-Man:
Fact of the matter is, there is no other shooter out there that can give you the same experience that BF2 gives you when it's working... it's a one of a kind. To the person that said "pedestrian shooters".... well, I think that BF2 is far from pedestrian, when MOHAA came out, it was an awesome experience as well. EA makes some pretty cool games... do they fuck up from time to time? Sure...

What do you mean you can't get the same experience with another game that BF2 gives you?

I mean seriously, other than better graphics and modern vehicles/guns this is basicly BF1942 or BFVietnam reskinned. There are no huge innovations in gameplay here.

It is the same tired capture-n-hold system that gets boring as hell after a couple of maps. There is no real tactical gameplay in BF2, no real objective to fight over other than who can camp a flag point the longest without getting carpet bombed. Wow, I don't recall the last time I saw a more tactical game, oh wait yes I do...Enemy Territory which was free and actually had objective-based gameplay.

But don't worry, in a year or so they will release a press statement saying how they are creating BF3 that will look to the future of modern warfare and add a few more vehicles and some energy weapons, but don't worry you will still run around trying to stand as close to a flag as possible as your only objective.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 09:43.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

49. So you don't like BF2... Jul 26, 2005, 08:55 zen

The truly pathetic thing is that you people and your distaste for everything EA really hurts noone but you. EA will survive with or without you and your friends' paltry $50. The game will eventually be worth the price of admission, but people who complain because they're still using a GF4 and can't/won't upgrade will still be complaining. The problem isn't Dice's decision to not support older hardware, the problem is that some people are so severely limited in their budget that they can't justify even $150-200 a year for newer components. Either get a job or quit bitching... or both.

48. Re: EA Games that broke the mold... Jul 26, 2005, 07:41 L0cky

That James Bond shooter on the consoles that everyone goes gaga about that I've only played once. It was on the N64, everyone loved it.... Was it Golden Eye?

Uh no.. GoldenEye on the N64 was Nintendo/Rare. EA published a cash cow ripoff last year called GoldenEye: Rogue Agent. That was slated as shit everywhere (EuroGamer gave it 2/10 for example). It had bugger all to do with the movie, or the N64 game and was simply milking the name. IE: typical EA game.

47. Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 07:35 Chipper

Not that I want to correct you, but codename eagle without patches is a pile of crap, thier last patches for it broke single player and nearly multiplayer (SEB bug) and finally took a user made patch to make it work. However, after 1.36 it was pretty much one of the best multiplayer games I have played, the first true multivehicler game out there and pure arcade madness, and the precurser to bf1942. I really would like a Codename Eagle 2, use the bf 2 engine, throw the realism out and use a new phsyics engine. The only problem is I dont think dice owns the trademark crap, in fact I dont think anyone knows who owns it...  
Gather 'round children and i'll tell you a tale,
Of chipper the ripper the chipmunk from hell

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo