Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: San Andreas Jul 19, 2005, 10:59 STATIC3D

I know the stuff wasn't intended to be part of the "normal" gameplay. But, the fact is that it DID make it onto the disc that was released to the general public. How many years worth of game exploits/hacks/cheats does a developer need to see before they think twice about leaving something that will "never be found" in a game?

Like I said, I can understand something being forgotten during the crunch mode. But, it is the responsibility of the developer and publisher to do what they can to insure stuff like this doesn't get out. The ratings board can only go on what is provided to them by the developer/publisher as to the game's "normal" content. As such, if the developer/publisher happens to slip something by them (on purpose or by accident that is discovered), there should be some type of accountabliity on their part.

I look at it like this. You can know the speed limit is 55 MPH. That doesn't stop you from being able to go over 55. However, if you do, and get caught, there is a penalty to pay. The same thing should happen for developers/publishers that fail to "follow the rules" (whatever the reason).

That's why I suggested the simple solution/rule of: If a developer/publisher (intentionally/accidentally) includes something outside the realm of the rating the game recieved, they can be held accountable via the ability of customers owning the game being able to return it directly to the publisher for a full refund.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: San Andreas Jul 19, 2005, 08:57 aldo_14

I'm not saying leaving it in was a smart choice. But, I do see how, with the VERY hectic schedules placed on developers during those long hours of crunch mode, something like this could have been forgotten (to be removed).

I have the solution for this. The government political "media whores" don't need to get involved. If any governmental involvement is needed it's simply to enact/empower the ability to enforce the following solution. If a company releases a game with content outside of the rating it was issued by the ratings board, then they can be held accountable by a ruling that allows ANY person that owns a copy of the game to be able to return it directly to the publisher/developer for a FULL refund.

There's a solution for ya. It will speak to the VERY thing that counts the most with many publishers...the bottom line money. Parents that are unhappy about something like this have an option. Gamers that don't care that much about the issue to not be impacted by having games that contain content they do want to see/play being watered down. And, the ratings system will not have to be altered to a point where all games containing anything remotely mature receive an AO rating (no matter what).

It's simple...it would work...and I'm sure it will not be used as it doesn't give those who want to be in the spotlight on the issue the camera time they so crave.

That depends how you define what content is; the whole arguement is about whether blocked off code (or whatever you'd define this sort of thing as) not accessible through normal means should be considered part of the sold content.

The situations strikes me as being that this was only discovered as a result of accessing the game (be it on the PC, PS2, and presumably Xbox)) outside of the normal methods. Furthermore, actually gaining access to it is convuluted and may actually break the EULA - I suspect the latter may be why Rockstars press release mentioned decompiling code (etc), because it's a clear way to cover their arse.

IMO there are 2 key questions; should a game be rated based on what is intended to be accessed through a 'normal' playing path, or upon features that exist but have been intentionally rendered inaccessible? And if the latter case applies, how can such a game be fairly rated without requiring the ratings board to completely dissasemble it and examine every line of code? (specifically in the latter case, where it would be both costly, time consuming and create legal/technology issues)

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/
This comment was edited on Jul 19, 08:59.

18. Re: San Andreas Jul 18, 2005, 20:32 STATIC3D

I'm not saying leaving it in was a smart choice. But, I do see how, with the VERY hectic schedules placed on developers during those long hours of crunch mode, something like this could have been forgotten (to be removed).

I have the solution for this. The government political "media whores" don't need to get involved. If any governmental involvement is needed it's simply to enact/empower the ability to enforce the following solution. If a company releases a game with content outside of the rating it was issued by the ratings board, then they can be held accountable by a ruling that allows ANY person that owns a copy of the game to be able to return it directly to the publisher/developer for a FULL refund.

There's a solution for ya. It will speak to the VERY thing that counts the most with many publishers...the bottom line money. Parents that are unhappy about something like this have an option. Gamers that don't care that much about the issue to not be impacted by having games that contain content they do want to see/play being watered down. And, the ratings system will not have to be altered to a point where all games containing anything remotely mature receive an AO rating (no matter what).

It's simple...it would work...and I'm sure it will not be used as it doesn't give those who want to be in the spotlight on the issue the camera time they so crave.

17. Re: San Andreas Jul 18, 2005, 19:32 The Half Elf

LOL nin I see you did finally get around to playing Kotor2!

What kills me is if you play the game the first crack house you go to, there is a guy getting a blowjob in the background. Now how the hell did that slip by the Ratings Board? And NOW they are all up in arms cause there is a simlated sex scene? Um Hello... what was that movie with William Defoe and Madonna?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

16. Re: San Andreas Jul 18, 2005, 19:29 aldo_14

Let's not forget they also recorded several lines of dialog with the game's voice actors, especially for those scenes. That's not something a lone programmer could do by himself.

I er... wasn't entirely serious with that suggestion.

15. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2005, 18:13 Pete

It's highly unlikely that this is the work of a single individual since it requires art, sounds and code. A group of employees were in on this little easter egg. They got sloppy and disabled it instead of removing it altogether before the game shipped.
or more than likely it didnt pass sony's QA or someone didnt think it added anything to the game.
But kids shouldnt be playing these games anyways.

Doin' it Big

14. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2005, 17:31 Quaternion

Maybe someone at Rockstar North coded it during their (hoho!) coffee break and no-one else knew at head office? (i.e. get out clause #034)

It's highly unlikely that this is the work of a single individual since it requires art, sounds and code. A group of employees were in on this little easter egg. They got sloppy and disabled it instead of removing it altogether before the game shipped.

13. Re: San Andreas Jul 18, 2005, 16:36 Beamer

I'd say that falls under the AO rating...

Sounds almost exactly like the minigame in God of War, yet that was simply Mature. And it had nudity. And it was in the linear part of the game, it wasn't like this, where you have to either download something for the PC version or buy a special piece of cheating hardware and enter 20 someodd codes for the PS2 version.

No one can "stumble" across this. Odds are it was intended to be in the game, but they decided not to include it so they simply took out all the links to it. Removing it may have been an issue. I'm sure many of us have coded simple programs before. Removing a routine often breaks ones you don't realize are related, so sometimes you just leave them in with no access, just because it doesn't harm anything to have them.

I'd imagine that was what caused this.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: San Andreas Jul 18, 2005, 16:30 Fingers M

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!  

11. Re: San Andreas Jul 18, 2005, 16:06 nin

I wonder how many other games out there ship with abandoned scenes and missions left on the disc...

*cough*KOTOR2*cough*

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

I have to apologize for the way I feel... http://www.nin.com

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: San Andreas Jul 18, 2005, 15:45 jayeffaar

...or the Sony playtest manager who pre-screens every game with a fine tooth comb before granting a release license to a developer/publisher?

It's not like anybody who played the game as-is could have found those scenes. They may have been left on the disc, but they definitely weren't available without some tweaking that went way beyond play-testing.

I wonder how many other games out there ship with abandoned scenes and missions left on the disc... Once something has been cut out of the game, it's probably much easier to leave the art in than take it out.

Maybe someone at Rockstar North coded it during their (hoho!) coffee break and no-one else knew at head office?

Let's not forget they also recorded several lines of dialog with the game's voice actors, especially for those scenes. That's not something a lone programmer could do by himself.
This comment was edited on Jul 18, 15:48.

9. Re: San Andreas Jul 18, 2005, 14:56 nin

Other than the fact that no-one from Rockstar lied to an official of the LAW. It is a lot different.

It's still a PR black eye...

And will cause sales to jump through the roof!

8. No subject Jul 18, 2005, 14:53 aldo_14

Maybe someone at Rockstar North coded it during their (hoho!) coffee break and no-one else knew at head office? (i.e. get out clause #034)

7. Re: San Andreas Jul 18, 2005, 14:49 xXBatmanXx

BUT EVEN WORSE it *appears* that Rockstar pulled a Martha Stewart and LIED after they were caught.
Whether they actually did or not doesn't matter, the strong denial of any wrongdoing will hang them.

Other than the fact that no-one from Rockstar lied to an official of the LAW. It is a lot different.

The people that put the content in the game probably did so as a joke (anyone remeber Who Stole Roger Rabbit when it went to DVD? Numerous Disney scenes on the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs cartoons, etc etc.) and probably have long since not worked at RockStar anyway. The person that was speaking was probably PR and wasn't aware that they actually DID put the thing in there. I see it as an Easter Egg.

Who cares. I can't believe this much time is being spent on a game that NO KID SHOULD BE PLAYING ANYWAY!

xXBatmanXx - Lance Corporal xXBatmanXx
http://www.bf2tracker.com/bf2_userprofile.php?bf2id=45215952 (back online 7/14/05)
This comment was edited on Jul 18, 14:51.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

6. Re: San Andreas Jul 18, 2005, 14:32 FourPak

The content is explicit ("Fully and clearly expressed; leaving nothing implied") without showing skin:
the PlayStation 2 edition of the game does indeed include a sexually graphic minigame... performing simulated fellatio... semi-explicit simulated copulation... players can cycle though three sexual positions... To win, players must maintain a steady rhythm with the left analog stick to build up an "excitement meter"
Oh. Mother. Flock.

Every Senator on every Investigating Committe will be shown a demo video of some pre-teen "maintaining a steady rhythm" with "muffled sounds of a couple emitting moans" while cycling camera angles on 3 sexual positions.

ohhh... Ohhhh... OHHHHH!... Rockstar is sooo busted.

Because not only is it on the PC, but also the PlayStation2 which, as all Federal Regulators 'know', is meant for Children.
(oh no! not The Children!)

BUT EVEN WORSE it *appears* that Rockstar pulled a Martha Stewart and LIED after they were caught.
Whether they actually did or not doesn't matter, the strong denial of any wrongdoing will hang them.

i wonder who's updating their resume faster right now, guys at Rockstar, Take-Two, or the Sony playtest manager who pre-screens every game with a fine tooth comb before granting a release license to a developer/publisher?

if i were Rockstar i might be as afraid of the consequences of EMBARRASSING Sony as i would of incurring the wrath of 'outraged' Senators who are up for election. DUCK AND COVER!

edit: LOL someone had a good idea -
damn better hurry up and pickup a copy now before they pull the PC ones off the shelf lol.
This comment was edited on Jul 18, 14:47.

5. Re: San Andreas Jul 18, 2005, 14:26 aldo_14

Well, (from the screenshots I've seen) CJ and the woman of his choice are arranged in various sexual positions on a bed, and the point of the game is to...ahem...make sure both parties have a good time. You control the um...pace...and have a few positions to choose from.

From the sounds of it it's not all that worse than your average 15 rated flick or post watershed tv series. At least in UK terms.

Of course, we have an 18 rating rather than the US 17+ and AO ratings, so it's a moot point anyways over here. Albeit, isn't the age of consent 16 anyways? (well, in some states according to http://www.ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm) Meaning that in many places, they'd be allowed to have sex, but not see crudely drawn, button-mashing, clothed humping?

NB: I might be wrong about the US rating system; my understanding is that GTA is M (17+), and there is some Adults Only classification as well? (dunno what the age of that is)

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 14:27.

4. No subject Jul 18, 2005, 13:57 Hellbinder

all we need is for these jokers to be responsible. and for parents to be freaking PARENTS. And not let their young kids and early teens plug into this gargbage.

Pentium 4 3.12ghz 800 FSB HT
Abit IC7-G MAXX2
1G Corsair DDR-400
40GB Raptor 10,000RPM SATA
120GB 7,000RPM SATA
[b]Radeon 9800XT 425/382 (CAT3.8/DX9) [color=red]3Dmark03 7074[/color][/b]
[color=blueompare [url]http://service.futuremark.com/compar

The Whales name is Bob.

3. No subject Jul 18, 2005, 13:25 Hump

The way I look at it is this will force the inevitible showdown with politicians anyway. Better now than letting it continue to fester.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

2. Re: San Andreas Jul 18, 2005, 13:22 nin

If the San Andreas "mini game" really has no explicit content (i.e., no genitalia shown), I'd think the whole uproar is for naught. The game is rated M after all.

Well, (from the screenshots I've seen) CJ and the woman of his choice are arranged in various sexual positions on a bed, and the point of the game is to...ahem...make sure both parties have a good time. You control the um...pace...and have a few positions to choose from.

1. San Andreas Jul 18, 2005, 13:10 Xenopulse

If the San Andreas "mini game" really has no explicit content (i.e., no genitalia shown), I'd think the whole uproar is for naught. The game is rated M after all.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo