Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 19:37 The Half Elf

And I agree about Winzip, not just cause of the name but a few other reasons. First off it's really easy to use especially compaired to XP's built in zip program. Secondly it's a hell of alot faster, in terms of unzipping zipping and the application as a whole. Thirdly I do have winrar but I try not to use it cause I have had problems with rar files having virus etc that AVG can't detect cause of the rar file. Plus it's one of the few programs that I have used for many years that truely justifyed me registering it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 19:22 Bucky

XP has built-in .zip handling?

I ignore it completely; used to use winrar and now I use 7zip. I never use the compression parts, just the decompress. To be honest, I very rarely come across files that need to be decompressed anymore now that my P2P days are long since behind me.

---
"Pain, or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back." -Al Swearengen

Guild Wars: Erol Shalor E/Mo

25. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 18:47 Pedle Zelnip

XP's built in support is also poo, it can't even cope with nested archives.

Huh? How do you figure that, if you have a zip file within a zip file, XP handles it fine.

PZ
------------
Reading: Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation" (again)

PZ
------------

24. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 17:40 MeatForce

XP makes it much more complicated.

Really? It's usually just a matter of double-clicking the file and dragging the contents somewhere..

I used to be a big fan of FreeZIP (fans of shell-extension type ZIP utils should definitely give this a look), but these days I tend to use Stuffit for making archives or opening .RAR files, and whatever's built-in to the OS for handling .ZIPs.

I'm not a great supporter of the BOMArchive service that's built into OSX though (far more troublesome than XP's .ZIP handler), but IMO any decent OS should have at least basic .ZIP capabilities built into it, so I make do..

-----
I actually get paid for this..
This comment was edited on Jul 18, 17:42.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

23. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 17:29 ShockwaveRider

I use winrar for everything but .zips.

I hate XPs zip functionality, as it's bare bones.

I still use Winzip. Fire it up, shows me the contents, lets me hit one button and send it to any directory I like. XP makes it much more complicated.

You are aware that Winrar can extract zip files, right?

22. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 17:15 DG

I have AZArc and WinRAR installed. Generally using AZArc. I prefer it over WinXP because of the shell extensions, and it generally does significantly more compression. WinRAR I keep for checking filesizes when a .RAR.

7Zip, for some reason some linux zip clients seem to occasionally have issues with it. No explanations; it doesnt make sense to me either, especially given the thing's GNU. Another thing about AZArc, it lets me open some corrupt files (i think the file was already corrupt before it got zipped?) whereas the other compression programs would refuse to open them.

What's this about having winzip run in the background? I never could understand all these programs which run in the background by default even though it doesnt make the slightest bit of difference to functionality. I suppose these people also have a quicktime (and god forbid, Realplayer) icon in the system tray?

21. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 16:47 Beamer

I use winrar for everything but .zips.

I hate XPs zip functionality, as it's bare bones.

I still use Winzip. Fire it up, shows me the contents, lets me hit one button and send it to any directory I like. XP makes it much more complicated.

Maybe Winzip is a resource hog, I don't know. I only fire it up when I need a file unzipped, and I didn't embed it into the OS at all.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 16:33 complicity

I really hate that too. How do you remove that?
Open a command prompt and enter the following command:
regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll

Done and done.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

19. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 16:27 jimnms

When you expand a folder and it has a bunch of zip files and they show up as folders... AAAAHHHHH!!!

Need to add the removal of that to my format list...

I really hate that too. How do you remove that?

MeanJim on Steam

18. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 16:08 Mr Gar

WinZip is poo. XP's built in support is also poo, it can't even cope with nested archives.

Winrar all the way. Or 7Zip if I really want to squeeze it tight and have lots of spare time.

17. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 15:35 Cochonou

You made me boot into Windows just to check Winzip's memory footprint. The version I have over here (8.1) eats up a whooping 5.5 megabytes of memory.
On older machines, I'd hardly consider that a massive memory hog. Let alone on newer rigs.

16. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 15:11 nin

As for online radio, my favourite station - Virgin Radio http://www.virginradio.co.uk - has a 160kbps Ogg Vorbis stream. They even have IPv6 streams. For a commercial station, they really embraced the technology.

They also have a podcast, but they strip out the music (due to copyright, I'm sure)...

edit:
I completely ignore the built in zip feature along with the encryption feature.

Dear lord...anyone that uses an encryption feature built into Windows deserves to lose their data.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

I have to apologize for the way I feel... http://www.nin.com
This comment was edited on Jul 18, 15:13.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

15. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 15:01 TorTorden

It's all WinRAR for me..

Ditto, I completely ignore the built in zip feature along with the encryption feature.

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar for a profession.

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

14. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 14:57 changingman

WinRAR is probably the best, but I would like to see the built-in XP function expanded to cover more formats. I'd be surprised if no one has hacked that up yet.

As for online radio, my favourite station - Virgin Radio http://www.virginradio.co.uk - has a 160kbps Ogg Vorbis stream. They even have IPv6 streams. For a commercial station, they really embraced the technology.

13. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 14:49 Alamar

It's all WinRAR for me. The shell extensions are unintrusive and much more useful than the built-in zip functionality, in my opinion. I like to pretend that the built-in zip tools don't even exist.

Gawd I hate the built in zip crap... When you expand a folder and it has a bunch of zip files and they show up as folders... AAAAHHHHH!!!

Need to add the removal of that to my format list... Next to my WinZip install : )

-Alamar

12. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 14:49 Jim

I'm amazed whenever I see people install WinZip as one of the first things when they reformat or get a new machine. I'm fairly certain it's just because of name recognition.

I always install WinRAR. I think the windows built-in archive utility leaves a bit to be desired and winrar is small, fast and has shell integration.

Jim

11. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 14:07 itzaaron

It's all WinRAR for me. The shell extensions are unintrusive and much more useful than the built-in zip functionality, in my opinion. I like to pretend that the built-in zip tools don't even exist.

10. Re: Anti-Spam software. Jul 18, 2005, 14:00 Creston

In general, it's a massive memory and resource hog for something already in XP. You can create ZIP files directly in XP you know -- just create a new compressed folder and it's automatically a ZIP file.

I have win2k.

And I completely fail to see the point behind using 7zip for uncompressing and Winzip for compressing.

7zip confuses me. I know how to do something in Winzip. I am lazy.
As far as a resource hog, shrug, it's only turned on when I need it, which is approximately once every 3 months. I'm sure that the 8MB of space it takes up on my drive aren't really killing me

Creston

9. Re: INTEL AND AMD Jul 18, 2005, 13:32 nin

I use winRAR.

There ya go!

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

I have to apologize for the way I feel... http://www.nin.com

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: INTEL AND AMD Jul 18, 2005, 13:19 Pedle Zelnip

Winzip? I use winRAR.

For RAR files, I do to (well actually I usually use the command line version of RAR). For ZIP files I usually use either the built-in XP stuff, or I use the *nix commands gzip, zip, etc... I'm a geek though, so command line stuff always appeals to me over GUI stuff.

It's very rare that I use WinZip for anything (although it is usually installed on machines I use), and even those times I do use it it's not because I couldn't do the same task with other tools.

PZ
------------
Reading: Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation" (again)

PZ
------------

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo