Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Thanks to all of you who offered thoughts on my problem with BF2 crashing at 1600x1200 resolution. Many folks had helpful ideas that already overlapped with things that have been isolated in this situation, like heat, the PSU, BIOS and the like, but for a general consensus about whether applications could cause BSoDs, the answer would seem to be a resounding yes, with the possibilities both existing that the crashes are triggered by bad game code, or bad driver code that gets tripped running at that unusual resolution. This is what I wanted to determine, to see if I was being jerked around by tech support here, which I am taking it that I was not. Fact is this is something that is more bothersome in theory than in practice, as running in 1024x768 with the antialiasing and anisotropic filtering cranked up is quite impressive looking enough... it would just bother me knowing I was not running that resolution due to a hardware problem (though I guess it's just a sign of being an old school computer gamer that it's less bothersome to be forced to a lower rez by driver/app flakiness... it's just something you are forced to live with sometimes).

Hi-Rez Links! Thanks Mike Martinez, Ant, and EvilToast.
Play Time: Which Family Guy character are you? I'm Mayor Adam West with limited choices.
Links: Finger Nose Trimmer. Thanks Devicer.
Stories: Direct to DVD Futurama Movie.
Science! Study Says Ethanol Not Worth the Energy.
Who Says Robots Can't Bluff?
Follow-up: Pushing for the next giant leap.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2005, 22:34 Fang

If you happen to stumble across some more controls sometime, here's a nice brief explanation of how to properly use the color-bars to calibrate a TV:

lol, thanks for all your help. I did crack out the TV manual to figure out how to gain access to the rest of the controls (yes, I do have saturation, tint, etc.) I tweaked those a little, so the problem is pretty much gone.

I can't believe I had the factory defaults all this time on my TV. I'm a major tweaker (I build my own computers and MythTV/Tivo boxes) and I can't believe I've been suffering all this time from a poor image quality, when I just had to adjust my TVs controls. I just thought it was because I bought a cheap TV. (And before, I spent countless hours tweaking the MythTV box to give me the best possible TV image).

They say that smart people do dumb things because they think they are too smart to do something dumb. That's one for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: google earth Jul 18, 2005, 21:53 Yosemite Sam

Yes same data but I find that google earth is much easier to navigate with and you can also zoom in closer. I noticed that if you have the paid for version you can also google mars, not as much to see but I thought that would be neat.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

42. Re: google earth Jul 18, 2005, 20:39 Enahs

Must stop exploring, must turn off app, giong to need to go to 'google earth anonymous' soon.

Yes, it is neat.

I just use the maps.google.com though. Same satellite data.

I was shocked to find in my city such a HUGE freakin rail road depot. It is freakin' massive. It HAS to be some kind of sorting station on a nationwide level. It could easily hold 500 trains.

I find the most erotic part of the female anatomy is the boobies. -Zap

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

41. google earth Jul 18, 2005, 20:26 Yosemite Sam

Must stop exploring, must turn off app, giong to need to go to 'google earth anonymous' soon. This thing is a blast, found 4 Iowa class battleships, probably a dozen carriers including the haunted USS Hornet. Too bad Pearl harbour and the docks at Bremerton are not high res, also the Russian fleet areas are not high res The airplane graveyard in Arizona is quite a site too. Interestingly I found a graveyard for ships in Istanbul and Greece seems to be hoarding cruise ships in Athens.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

40. Re: Ethanol Study Jul 18, 2005, 20:06 Camaro76

...energy self sufficient?! no, no, can't allow that.

Here's a link to a good forum where the topic of biodiesel/ethanol/etc. is being discussed by quite a few knowledgable folks. This particular link talks about thermal depolymerization (TDP) which essentially mimics the way earth created petroleum by using a lot of heat and pressure on organic stuff, only TDP does it in a short span of time instead of millions of years. The biggest benefit to TDP is that it can make oil from waste products - plastics, old tires, manure, turkey guts - pretty much anything carbon-based. There is currently a TDP plant in Missouri next to a Butterball turkey factory that takes the leftover turkey parts (skins, guts, etc.) and turns it into oil. Currently they are having 'odor' problems but the hope is to get the bugs worked out of the process so that more plants can be built.

http://forums.biodieselnow.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=829

[edited for clarity]
---------------------------------------------------
[Brought to you by Firefox, Greasemonkey and my Post Enhancer script!]
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/bluesnewspostenhancer.user.js
This comment was edited on Jul 18, 20:08.

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

39. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2005, 20:02 Halsy

By the gods, was I ever 3 sheets to the wind last night. I haven't been that drunk in a very long time. Ahh well, it was a good time had by all - me in particular.

"Well...here's to feelin' good all the time!"
- Kramer

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

38. Ding! Jul 18, 2005, 19:45 The Half Elf

1000 posts! Ahm gonna catch ya nin, once I figure out where you work and tell them that all you do at work is read these forums

Hey Blue any word on Warhawk?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

37. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2005, 19:44 The Half Elf

Actually the Fan Film is quite high calibur, while some of the acting isn't the greatest, it very well holds it's own against Episodes 1-3. The CGI and Special Affects are EXTREMLY noteworthy, as are the costumes/makeup for one of the scenes.

The only reason I'm gonna buy Episode 3 is so I can watch 'The Other Jedi' R2D2 kick the crap outta some droids. (Only bad part of that scene was where he catches a comlink, bad form Lucas, bad form).

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

36. Re: Hmm Jul 18, 2005, 19:40 nin

and Morrowind because my girlfriend enjoys it.

You lucky, lucky bastard...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

I have to apologize for the way I feel... http://www.nin.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

35. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2005, 19:34 MeatForce

I haven't heard any audio distortion, however, I always pipe the sound directly into my stereo system from the "tivo", bypassing the TV completely. Sometimes, I'll activate the AUX output from the TV (since I send the audio to the TV also anyways) and that AUX output sounds clean.

I haven't used the actual TV speakers in a long time.

Ok, well that's good at least I only asked because sometimes these sorts of problems can manifest the way I described, and it can help with tracking them down.

However, I just tried out your suggestion to turn down the "saturation". On my TV, the only control I have is called "Picture" but it seems to control the intensity. I didn't realize that mine was set to maximum. I knocked it down to 60%. It's helped immensely. It's still a little off, but it may be from my testing the different intensities.

Thanks for the tip.

Glad I could be immensely helpful! The 'Picture' control on a TV is usually for adjusting contrast (degree of difference between pure white and pure black for example), so it should help in this situation for sure. I'm still willing to bet saturation would help more. It's weird that you only have the one control.. Not sure where you go with that, actually...

Even still, you should probably flick around until you find someone broadcasting some SMPT-E color-bars when you're making your adjustments (might have to wait until late at night when they go off-the-air). They'll be a much more stable (standard, even) signal to tune things with.

You really need a blue filter to take full advantage of them for calibrating your picture (and a full set of picture controls, LOL!), but eyeballing works pretty well. Should make your life easier in the long run.

If you happen to stumble across some more controls sometime, here's a nice brief explanation of how to properly use the color-bars to calibrate a TV:

http://www.greatdv.com/video/smptebars.htm

HTH

-----
I actually get paid for this..

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

34. Re: Hmm Jul 18, 2005, 19:33 Bunko

Where ya been Bunko!?
I'm surprised my absence was noted. I've just been out living it up. Listening to a lot of music, watching lots of movies, reading tons of books. I have a wonderful girlfriend now too. I've also been hunting for colleges, which is suprisingly interesting and unsuprisingly stressful. Quite frankly I just haven't been into games that much lately. All that I've touched lately is HL2 and Morrowind because my girlfriend enjoys it. I still read Blue's News everyday. I just find myself, like Bronco it seems, with less to say.

I'm still a geek. I still have a blog. I'm actually planning on relaunching it at the URL BenjaminIsMissing.com around the ending of summer. I've just been too busy in real-life to do much escaping. It's too bad, too. While I'm certainly enjoying real-life, the impassioned, chaotic amusement of the BN forums is and always has been a good time. I don't plan on leaving any time soon. Last year this place was my home. I won't forget that.

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.
Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

33. RoboCup 2005 Jul 18, 2005, 19:18 Moonbender

On a totally unrelated note: If you're bored and on broadband, feel free to download and watch the finals of the world robotic soccer tournament (four-legged league): http://www.germanteam.org/videos/FINALE%20-%20GT%20-%20Nubots.wmv (177 Megs! fairly fast server, though) I won't spoil anything, but it's quite an exciting match, at least as far as robo soccer goes.

32. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2005, 18:47 Fang

I haven't heard any audio distortion, however, I always pipe the sound directly into my stereo system from the "tivo", bypassing the TV completely. Sometimes, I'll activate the AUX output from the TV (since I send the audio to the TV also anyways) and that AUX output sounds clean.

I haven't used the actual TV speakers in a long time.

However, I just tried out your suggestion to turn down the "saturation". On my TV, the only control I have is called "Picture" but it seems to control the intensity. I didn't realize that mine was set to maximum. I knocked it down to 60%. It's helped immensely. It's still a little off, but it may be from my testing the different intensities.

Thanks for the tip.

31. Re: Anyone heard... Jul 18, 2005, 17:47 Yosemite Sam

anything more from Warhawk?

Was wondering that myself, not hearing from him makes me think not all is well, I hope thats not the case.

30. Re: star wars revelations Jul 18, 2005, 17:31 tron

So has anyone downloaded this fan inspired movie yet?

i've d/l'ed it. i've only watch part of it so far though. as you said, the cgi is amazing for a fan film, but the actors are not even community theater quality. a friend of mine watched it all the way through and said it was worth the time (40 minutes) if you can tolerate the acting. he said the story was rather good and the special effects were magnificent.

i'm waiting until i get an S-vid cable extension so i can watch it on my TV instead of on my monitor...

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

29. star wars revelations Jul 18, 2005, 17:24 Ihya

So has anyone downloaded this fan inspired movie yet?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4100284.stm#

They have a trailer which shows they shelled out on the cgi. To keep the continuity right, the acting looks as god awful as the recent films.

28. Re: Ethanol Study Jul 18, 2005, 17:15 Awesome Spume

If ethanol was a viable substitute for petroleum based fuel then wouldn't the Dukes of Hazzard be bigger than Exxon by now?

27. Ethanol Study Jul 18, 2005, 16:47 FourPak

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/July05/ethanol.toocostly.ssl.html

hm, doesn't say who Funded the study.

also most glaringly it doesn't offer *comparative* numbers for the alternatives they DO like: solar, wind and hydrogen.

National scale mega-mass production (which is how they examined bio-fuels) of solar panels and windmills is very fossil fuel intensive; panels and windmills don't mine, refine and manufacture themselves out of nothing. Same for Hydrogen, it requires a huge fossil fuel intensive extraction, refining, and fuel cell Manufacturing process.

So how does That compare to ethanol?
The report of this study doesn't say.

in addition to hard statistical In vs. Out "efficiency", real world practicality is also not considered. Sure maybe 1000 50-foot windmills or 10,000 50-foot solar panels can power 100 homes with more fossil fuel efficiency than 10,000 gallons of ethanol (or whatever the numbers are), but where are you gonna put the damn things? How much fossil fuel does it take to bulldoze and maintain 100 acres of otherwise productive land to put the wind/solar farms in?

And with Hydrogen something else is fishy.

How is it that the one Favorite Future Fuel just happens to be the one that's so technologically difficult to produce that only the global oil companies can refine and produce it? Probably just another coincidence.

Seems like some groups are deathly afraid that small communities (in the midwest grain belt for example) could take their excess tons of biomass and LOCALLY meet a big chunk of their energy needs apart from some giant corporation.

energy self sufficient?! no, no, can't allow that.

26. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2005, 16:43 MeatForce

It's a plain TV. Though I have tried degaussing it (with a plain TV, it should auto-degauss if you leave it unplugged for 30 minutes) No luck.

I didn't think it was electrostatic interference since its not there usually, only when bright colors are displayed staticly for a period of time. If it was from a nearby source, I would imagine that it would be there constantly. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Fang -- try bringing down the colour 'saturation' a bit (sometimes just called the 'color' control, sometimes 'intensity', sometimes even 'saturation').

Sounds to me like the intensity of those hues *might* be causing interference to bleed out of the electron guns and contaminate other parts of the picture...

Are the bleeding colours accompanied by any distortion in the audio (like a very unpleasant buzzing/humming from the speakers) by any chance?

-----

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

25. Re: Hmm Jul 18, 2005, 16:35 MeatForce

Never watched the show, hated it based on the commercials.

Wow, I'm not the only one? Except that I did watch an episode or two and hated it based on the show.

Nope. And I managed to hate the show based on the premise!

Jeeze, I hate the show based on everyones comments!

But Good News Everyone! a Futurama film may resurrect the show *crosses fingers*

Hmmmm... well in that case I suppose I'm going to have to hate that film based on principle!

-----

-----

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo