Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We're off to Brooklyn today for a late brunch with part of the Blue clan, my step-dad's mom and sister, so my Aunt and Grandma (we never fussed too much over the step-stuff in our extended family). Looking forward to seeing them, as well as to brunch, as we're going to a real deli for some real pastrami (people seem to be under the mistaken impression you can get real deli or bagels in outlying areas, but Manhattan is about as far from Sheepshead Bay as you can go and still accomplish such a thing).

Anyway, on the topic of family, our thoughts are with Blue's News regular Warhawk today, as he is off to rendezvous with his wife as the doctors try and diagnose an onset of mysterious pain she suffered during a trip to visit another sick relative. Here's hoping everything turns out to be routine.

Crime & Punishment! Thanks Mike Martinez, Ant, and EvilToast.
Play Time: CornHole.
Links: Old Grandma Hardcore. Thanks memepool.
Tortilla-Board A New Breadboard Technique.
Stories: Police: Coach paid kid to hurt disabled player. Boggling.
Man shoots postman to get jailed.
Wash. Boy Dies Fleeing From Angry Driver.
Science! Finger Scanning At Disney Parks Causes Concern.
Human Feces Powers Rwandan Prison. Holy crap!
60th Anniversary of the Atomic Bomb.
Media: 30 Hornets Vs 30,000 Bees. Disturbing.
Follow-up: Harry Potter Fans Happy, for Now.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: anniversary Jul 30, 2005, 18:38 CurtinDaVern

Hey Crispy,

Long time no see...

I've been trying to get a hold of you drop me a line via email at CurtisinDaLoops at canada.com.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Hornets Jul 17, 2005, 16:23 Cynips

wonder how they'd do vs. the aggressive african-ized bees aka Killer Bees? even if the africanized have the same small stinger as euros i bet they'd go berzerk and just pummel 'em to death or somthin.
Actually, I think they'd do fine. Africanazied beed are just more quick to aggression. I bet the ones that got killed in the movie were as aggressive as any other honey bee. The hornets are just too hard sclerotized and strong.

Reality is a nice place, but I wouldn't want to live there!

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

40. Re: Hornets Jul 17, 2005, 15:41 FourPak

wonder how they'd do vs. the aggressive african-ized bees aka Killer Bees? even if the africanized have the same small stinger as euros i bet they'd go berzerk and just pummel 'em to death or somthin.

39. Sound card help! Jul 17, 2005, 13:47 Enahs

Hey, does anybody have a Turtle Beach Riviera sound card?

I need a new sound card, but I need it to be cheap, but I want it feature rich too!

The Riviera has all the right “features” for the price, but I need to ask a specific question…something somebody would have to try with it for me. I E-Mailed Turtle Beach themselves, but it will probably take days for a response…and I got no sound!

If you do, could you please e-mail me real quick: szsullivan@ualr.edu:

“I find the most erotic part of the female anatomy is the boobies.” -Zap

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

38. Re: anniversary Jul 17, 2005, 13:42 Halsy

Thanks for the many happy returns, gents. I'm currently on my way to Inebriationville (Population: me) as I'm heading out to a big party in a short while where I shall continue to imbibe vast quantities of alcohol and oggle beautiful women as swinishly as possible.

Spume, don't be a dick. Warhawk and I scrap a lot, but when it's something serious like this you put that sort of bullshit aside. If you can't refrain from being a dick in a situation as serious as this, don't say anything in that case. Once again Hawk, I hope it all turns out to be nothing man, keep the faith. If she's married to you she has to be a pretty tough lady.

"Well...here's to feelin' good all the time!"
- Kramer

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

37. Re: anniversary Jul 17, 2005, 13:42 Tango

Recovery software does amazing things. We use it at work and it's surprising what it's able to pull off a supposedly dead card.
I bought a card reader / writer today (a Dazzle Zio MM/SD card reader) but it just hangs up with a "I/O error" when the buggered SanDisk card is used. Therefore no reading, no writing, no formatting (my first hope). The tiny 16Mb card that came with the camera (useless on a 5Mp camera for more than 4 shots) works OK though, suggesting beyond doubt it is the card, not the camera or the reader or my installation that is at fault.

There seems to be little point in buying any recovery software in the present situation if the reader can't communicate. What is annoying is that Google suggests this is not unheard of in Canon cameras, so you would think they'd do something about it. If I have to download my pictures after every time I take the camera out, there was little point in me ever buying a card larger than 256Mb.

And yeah, the little tab isn't switched on

Edit: The trial versions of both mmCARD Reader (http://www.digitalleo.com/) and BadCopy Pro (http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/) both don't do anything. In fact, to its credit, mmCARD doesn't give up and crashes trying :). They can't communicate with the card through the reader or the camera.

The card, in short, seems fucked.

-----------------------
http://www.sudoku.com/
This comment was edited on Jul 17, 13:53.

36. Re: anniversary Jul 17, 2005, 13:16 nin

Happy birthday Halsy!

Hope everything turns out fine for ya WarHawk!

Ditto on both...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

I have to apologize for the way I feel... http://www.nin.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

35. Re: anniversary Jul 17, 2005, 11:55 c r i s p y

Tango, a couple of things:

Recovery software does amazing things. We use it at work and it's surprising what it's able to pull off a supposedly dead card.

If you are not that worried about losing the pictures on the card try a format. Nine time out of ten that will bring the card back.

You say the camera says memory card 'locked'? If it's an SD card, just make sure the little locking tab on the side hasn't been switched on.

---
Chris.

34. Re: No subject Jul 17, 2005, 06:13 Ihya

That Honey Bee video is awesome, and I thought we were the most fucked up species on the planet ;P. You can keep your War of the Worlds, this is the real deal.

Best wishes Warhawk.

33. Re: Warhawk Jul 17, 2005, 05:41 Gen. Hospital

you could have skipped the personal attack part this time.

I agree. Fuck off biatch.

Here's to hoping Mrs Hawk'll be ok.

Oh, and congrats on the level up Halsy

32. Re: anniversary Jul 17, 2005, 03:48 Tango

It's not the photos that particularly bother me, though it is annoying, it's the fact that I'm off on holiday tomorrow morning with no camera. Which means I'll buy another flash memory card, which means the other one will be useless - I don't need 2Gb of photo storage on my camera :). Maybe I'll just demand a refund from Amazon.

On that note, I'm off for a week of sun and sand in Turkey (so not too plussed to hear about the bomb there yesterday :() so behave yourselves while I'm gone :).

And, again, best wishes for the week ahead Warhawk.

-----------------------

31. Yikes Jul 16, 2005, 23:23 Bronco

Well happy birthday to our Halsy.

And the best wishes of all my family for Warhawks. I hope all is well.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com
teh m4y0r ownz a GabeN b4ckp4k
http://www.azurebrigade.com
- WoW Guild / Board

-TPFKAS2S

30. Re: anniversary Jul 16, 2005, 22:23 Zathrus

Happy birthday Halsy.

Also, Tango -- you may want to look into some CF recovery software. I'm not that deep into photo stuff, but apparantly there's some good stuff out there that's fairly cheap and will probably recover all of the photos if just using an external reader doesn't do it.

29. BF2 stats Jul 16, 2005, 21:50 xXBatmanXx

Anyone else having trouble with stats?
Mine haven't updated all day.

xXBatmanXx - Lance Corporal xXBatmanXx
http://www.bf2tracker.com/bf2_userprofile.php?bf2id=45215952 (back online 7/14/05)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

28. Re: anniversary Jul 16, 2005, 21:18 Cynips

Can I also say, woot for new season of BSG! Though, I really wish they would just do “natural” drama…they are trying to hard and some of the characters are is coming off like they are in a soap opera.
Exactly my problem with it, too much like soap opera characters sometimes. Good episode otherwise!

Seems I too misunderstood Warhawks first post. Really hope the wife is ok.

And Happy birthday Halsy! I once had a girlfriend who was born not only on July 21, but also 1969, i.e. the same day as man first set foot on the moon.

Reality is a nice place, but I wouldn't want to live there!
This comment was edited on Jul 16, 21:24.

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

27. Re: Warhawk Jul 16, 2005, 20:35 BicycleRepairMan

Hey, best wishes to WH's wife. WH, I could care less about but his wife is an innocent from where I stand.

Havent exactly followed WHs every post, so I dont know what wrong he's done to you here, but seriously, no matter what, you could have skipped the personal attack part this time.

http://www.thebrpage.net

26. Re: anniversary Jul 16, 2005, 18:33 MeatForce

My flash memory card just died from my camera... all my graduation pics etc inaccessible with this stupid "memory card locked" error. Apparently Canon cameras have a habit of chewing up even the high quality cards (mine was a SanDisk, as recommended by Canon). So not impressed.

Ah yes... Canon has begun a bit of a habit of releasing buggy firmwares for their cameras lately, and then patching them with buggy fixes. It's almost as if they noticed the strategy was really paying off for the video games market and decided to jump on the bandwagon or something..

Would be cute if some people didn't actually rely on their Canon gear to make their livings.. Oh well, at least they don't encrypt the white-balance data in their (or rather YOUR) RAW files like Nikon.

Welcome to the future, I suppose

PS - All the best for you and your family, Warhawk
PPS - Happy LVL up day, Halsy!

-----
I actually get paid for this..
This comment was edited on Jul 16, 18:37.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

25. Re: anniversary Jul 16, 2005, 18:13 Tango

If you know somebody with a flash reader, you might try it in it, to at least retrieve your old data!
Yeah... while I have already filled out the replacement request on Amazon.co.uk I will buy a card reader tomorrow morning and get the pictures off. I have no other use for the card, but if my replacement fails I will be entirely unimpressed. Google seems to suggest this problem is more bad luck and bad design than anything you can do to avoid the problem... but Canon have dropped down in my estimation, which is a shame because otherwise the camera is great!

OT: Finished the new Harry Potter already... So Avada kedavra to all.

-----------------------

24. Re: anniversary Jul 16, 2005, 17:56 Enahs

My flash memory card just died from my camera... all my graduation pics etc inaccessible with this stupid "memory card locked" error. Apparently Canon cameras have a habit of chewing up even the high quality cards (mine was a SanDisk, as recommended by Canon). So not impressed.

When my flash memory card would no longer read in my Canon camera, I found it still worked just fine in my card reader in my computer.
It still works just fine and I use it for easily transferring data with other people.

If you know somebody with a flash reader, you might try it in it, to at least retrieve your old data!

Can I also say, woot for new season of BSG! Though, I really wish they would just do “natural” drama…they are trying to hard and some of the characters are is coming off like they are in a soap opera.

Happy birthday Halsy!

Hope everything turns out fine for ya WarHawk!

“I find the most erotic part of the female anatomy is the boobies.” -Zap

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

23. Re: Hornets Jul 16, 2005, 17:51 runnerct32

I seen horents that size at my house in Kentucky...am I seeing things...I looked these hornets up and what I have come up with is that they are the same things or maybe a cousin...do you have these hornets in the US???

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo