Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I got my first taste yesterday of a BF2 bug I'd heard complaints about, but had not previously experienced. After a firefight I noticed a teamkill message, so I said I was sorry. A few minutes later it happened again, and when it happened a third time, I was positive there were no friendlies in my sights, and I also noticed a team message asking 'why is everyone shooting me?' The thing is, the team message was in red, just like the name over this guy... he was showing up as an enemy. Looking at the scoreboard, I saw myself with a score of negative-11 and a bunch of teammates in the minus column as well. In spite of people repeatedly messaging him that he was mysteriously appearing as an enemy, he was relentlessly punishing every TK. So instead of leaving the server himself, he just forced myself and his other teammates to leave instead. I would gladly give up the whole TK punish function, which may as well default to punish for all the understanding shown in its use, in exchange for a working voting system, as I have never actually seen a successful mutiny or player kick vote.

Punishing Links! Thanks Mike Martinez, Ant, and EvilToast.
Links: Brandon-Bird-O-Rama.
'Bullitt' car chase still tops in Hollywood. Thanks Eye 4N Eye.
Stories: Europe to fall silent for UK bomb victims.
Woman gets $74,000 water bill.
Book stores brace for record Harry Potter rush.
Science! Group Calls for Soft Drink Warnings (registration required).
Newly discovered planet has 3 suns. Thanks Jim. Here's the story, of a planet named Brady!
Media: NiN Video.
Gross coin trick.
Follow-ups: Discovery Launch a No-Go.
Teh Funny: VG Cats.

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

88. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2005, 15:35 JoeCool

The only people who use the term Homicide bombers are righties and their biased media. Homicide bomber is like a PC term that the right uses to make a political point and shows ignorance and Bias. Especially when fox uses it. It's like when Al Jizzera calls them freedom fighters. No thanks I'll call them what they are, suicide bombers. Thats what they have been called for years and i'm not gonna start calling them homicide bombers because the Whitehouse and Foxnews uses it.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 15:37.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

87. Re: No subject Jul 15, 2005, 17:35 Prez

Even though I don't really care for political bickering here at Blues, I have to admit, that is an outstanding compilation of the REAL facts Warhawk. Unfortunately, surely wasted on hate-blinded liberals (who know who they are).

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

86. Re: No subject Jul 15, 2005, 10:52 Warhawk

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162583,00.html

Sorry to keep punching holes in your little conspiracy theories, Halsy....

Although Joseph Wilson and many Democrats have spent the last week saying Karl Rove leaked the identity of a CIA operative to journalists, it may have been the other way around, according to sources familiar with grand jury testimony.

The Associated Press reported Friday that Rove, President Bush's senior adviser, testified to a grand jury that he talked with two journalists before they divulged the identity of CIA officer Valerie Plame, but that he originally learned about her from the news media and not government sources, according to a person briefed on the testimony.

The person, who works in the legal profession, told AP that Rove testified last year that he remembered specifically being told by columnist Robert Novak that Plame, who is Wilson's wife, worked for the CIA. Days earlier, Wilson, a former ambassador, had written a harsh critique of the Iraq war that was published in the New York Times

The Times also reported Friday that Rove spoke with Novak as he was preparing his July 2003 article. Novak is the reporter who first outted Plame in print but, he has not appeared to be a focus of the investigation thus far.

The Times reported that someone who has been officially briefed on the matter said Rove also learned from Novak the situation under which Wilson traveled to Africa to investigate possible uranium sales to Saddam Hussein in Iraq. Novak told him he planned to report in a weekend column that Plame had worked for the CIA, and the details about the Africa trip, Rove testified.

After hearing Novak's account, the person familiar with the testimony said, Rove told the columnist: "I heard that, too."

Rove testified that by the time Novak called him, he believes he had similar information about Wilson's wife from someone else in the media but he couldn't remember exactly who.

A few days before these conversations, in an op-ed article for The New York Times on July 6, 2003, Wilson suggested that he had been sent to Niger because of Vice President Dick Cheney's interest in the matter. But Novak told Rove he knew that Wilson had been sent at the urging of his wife, the sources said.

Novak's column was printed six days later, touching off what would turn into a political firestorm that launched a federal criminal investigation that continues today into who leaked Plame's identity.

Three days after the Novak conversation, Rove testified, the chief of staff had a phone conversation with Time magazine reporter Matt Cooper and — in an effort to discredit some of Wilson's allegations — informally told Cooper that he believed Wilson's wife worked for the CIA, though he never used her name, sources told the AP and the Times.

An e-mail Cooper recently provided the grand jury shows Cooper reported to his magazine bosses that Rove had described Wilson's wife in a confidential conversation as someone who "apparently works" at the CIA.

The New York Times noted that the first source — whose identity still is not known — provided the basics of the story and was described by the columnist as "no partisan gunslinger." According to that second Novak column, when the writer called a second official for confirmation, the source said, "Oh, you know about it."

That second source was Rove, the source briefed on the matter told The New York Times.

Robert Luskin, Rove's attorney, said Thursday his client truthfully testified to the grand jury and expected to be exonerated.

"Karl provided all pertinent information to prosecutors a long time ago," Luskin said. "And prosecutors confirmed when he testified most recently in October 2004 that he is not a target of the investigation."

Earlier in the day, Wilson kept up his criticism of the White House, saying Rove's conduct was an "outrageous abuse of power ... certainly worthy of frog-marching out of the White House."

Federal law prohibits government officials from divulging the identity of an undercover intelligence officer. But prosecutors must prove the leaking official knew the officer was covert and knowingly outed his or her identity. One of the questions that still remains is exactly what status Plame had at the time of the leak; many reports say she had a desk job at CIA headquarters in Langley, Va., at the time.

Wilson on Thursday acknowledged his wife was no longer in an undercover job at the time Novak's column first identified her.

"My wife was not a clandestine officer the day that Bob Novak blew her identity," he said.

But Republicans argued Friday that the latest information exonerates their man.

"Karl Rove wasn't the leaker, he was actually the recipient of the information," Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman told FOX News on Friday morning.

Democrats continued this week to sharpen their attacks, accusing Rove of compromising a CIA operative's identity just to discredit the political criticism of her husband.

Sorry to burst your bubble, bud.

And before you start ranting on and on about Fox, here's the CNN version:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/07/15/cia.leak.rove.ap/index.html

Halsy? You still there? Are you going to aim your vitriol at Newsweek for inaccurate reporting or demand the journalists who did leak the info be tried for treason?

Thought not....

*** Warhawk ***

I'm really sorry. When I saw him on the computer, it said "The Butcher of Cadíz." I thought it was a profession, not a headline.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

85. Re: No subject Jul 15, 2005, 10:31 Warhawk

Can we please not use the ridiculous Fox News term "homicide bombing". A suicide bomber is someone who sets off a bomb and dies while doing so. What is a homicide bomber? Anyone who sets off a bomb and kills someone else? One term helps describe the bombing, the other one is just redundant and creepily Orwellian.

The purpose of the bombing is to kill others, not themselves - that result is incidental to their goal. I prefer to reference the innocents that died and not the idiot screaming "Allah is great" who decided to kill a bunch of children thinking it will get him a bunch of virgins in the afterlife....

*** Warhawk ***

I'm really sorry. When I saw him on the computer, it said "The Butcher of Cadíz." I thought it was a profession, not a headline.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

84. Re: Ronin Jul 15, 2005, 10:20 Creston

I'm probably older than most people here at 43...but do you really think the Bullit chase scene was real? It was staged, as ALL car chases are staged. Staged back then, staged today.

Let me spell it out for you :

Matrix Bike chase scene -> Computer generated
Bullit -> Really really really really really really really REALLY fucking good drivers actually DOING the REAL driving.

Better?

Creston

83. Re: Racing Games: Jul 15, 2005, 10:18 Malakai

If you have an Xbox get Forza Motorsport. I played it around a friend's house and it was fantastic. Full damage, you actually need to break for a corner etc. Much better than GT4.

In terms of car game, depends on what you want. If you want an arcade thing go for Trackmania:Sunrise. Awesome little time waster. Simulation wise i've heard, as MF has said, that GTR is the most realistic simulation around.

82. Re: Racing Games: Jul 15, 2005, 10:15 MeatForce

Can anyone suggest a good (read awesome) racing game?
I have the midtown madness series.
Also have Nascar stuff.
But I just picked up a new pimpin' wheel, gas, break, etc control set that is force feedback. Looking for a relly good game to try it out on.

Richard Burns Rally.

Not only is it one of THE MOST impressive racing games around right now, but the force-feedback in the game is far and away the best I've ever experienced.

GTR is supposed to be quite nice as well, but you simply can't go wrong with RBR. Astounding.

-----
I actually get paid for this..

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

81. Re: No subject Jul 15, 2005, 07:09 Prez

Oy vey! Here we go again. Iraq, terrorism, ridiculous arguments... it never stops.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

80. Re: No subject Jul 15, 2005, 06:25 Rufus

Can we please not use the ridiculous Fox News term "homicide bombing". A suicide bomber is someone who sets off a bomb and dies while doing so. What is a homicide bomber? Anyone who sets off a bomb and kills someone else? One term helps describe the bombing, the other one is just redundant and creepily Orwellian.

As for terrorism...

Main Entry: ter·ror·ism
Pronunciation: 'ter-&r-"i-z&m
Function: noun
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

Have we become the thing that we are fighting against?
The public was understandably riled up after 9/11, and the government used that anger and fear to motivate support for their attack on Iraq. They went from one reason to the next. All of them false. And since the WMD reason is false, and the "ties to 9/11" reason is false, and the humantiarian concern BS was just something they made up to supplement the other falsehoods, I can only assume that we are there as part of the same policy that we have had for years, which is that we require a foothold in the middle east to provide stability for capitalism in an environment where islamic fundamentalism threatens to nationalize any corporate interests there. Why do you think Rumsfeld was all buddy buddy with Saddam Hussein back in the 80s? It's because Hussein was fighting against Iran. Our Gov't didn't mind at the time that he was also gassing his own folks, of course. How dare those Iraqis not be happy with our presence. After we SUPPORTED HUSSEIN for cryin out loud. And then go to war with them, and then we throw sanctions on them that result in the deaths of millions, and then we invade them again. Really...how dare they be upset that we are there. How...inconsiderate?

Just because americans can't remember anything past however long it takes to watch an episode of Who Wants To Marry a Millionaire doesn't mean that the rest of the world suffers the same short-term memory.

79. Re: No subject Jul 15, 2005, 00:35 Warhawk

when terrorists kill their own people, its not terrorism

No, I said when people are killed in a war zone (you know, where two sides are shooting at each other) and some innocents get killed accidentally, that isn't terrorism. Please learn to read and comprehend. When terrorists homicide bomb their own people it is still terrorism. The 2 incidents are separate and distinct.

Understand now?

*** Warhawk ***

78. Re: Europe to fall silent Jul 14, 2005, 23:27 El Cabron

"Tell that to the 100K+ dead Iraqi and Afghani people who have been indiscriminately killed by "white dudes" over the last 3 years."
I don't think you know the meaning of indiscriminate. By using it in the sentence above you are implying that the American military randomly, unselectivly and wantonly kills Iraqi and Afghani people. Now, I've read your posts and know you tend to be a jerk, but I hope you're not so much of a jerk that you would suggest something like that.
in·dis·crim·i·nate pronunciation
adj.

1. Not making or based on careful distinctions; unselective: an indiscriminate shopper; indiscriminate taste in music.
2. Random; haphazard: indiscriminate violence; an indiscriminate assortment of used books for sale.
3. Confused; chaotic: the indiscriminate policies of the previous administration.
4. Unrestrained or wanton; profligate: indiscriminate spending.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 23:27.

77. Re: No subject Jul 14, 2005, 23:20 El Cabron

That's right, we're responsible for the warzone. However,we don't target civvies, while they do. We don't ram trucks filled with explosives into market places, and police accademys. We don't make it our goal to inflict as many civillian casulties as possible. Hmmm...who does that. Oh that's right, the terrorists. Dumbass.

76. No subject Jul 14, 2005, 23:12 space captain

Well, how many "white dudes" are hijacking airlines and killing 3,000 civillians in the name of Allah? Being killed in a war zone isn't terrorism. I am not minimizing their loss, but an awful lot of those deaths are due to the terrorists killing their own people

thats some brilliant fat american redneck reasoning you got there... when terrorists kill their own people, its not terrorism

who is responsible for the war zone, you fucking dumbass? yeh thats right, Cleetus - the "white dudes"

Go forth, and kill!

75. Re: AMD suit dismissed as 'media campaig Jul 14, 2005, 22:38 Tim

That’s right I’m illiterate; aside from the Teutonic comprehension I possess, I’m illiterate.

You’re so smart; I bet you went to an acclaimed American public school.

Thanks again for telling me what I am.

74. Re: Europe to fall silent Jul 14, 2005, 22:05 Warhawk

Tell that to the 100K+ dead Iraqi and Afghani people who have been indiscriminately killed by "white dudes" over the last 3 years. Oh right, I forgot, that's different.

Well, how many "white dudes" are hijacking airlines and killing 3,000 civillians in the name of Allah? Being killed in a war zone isn't terrorism. I am not minimizing their loss, but an awful lot of those deaths are due to the terrorists killing their own people, like this just recently:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4678207.stm

At least 26 Iraqis, almost all of them children, have been killed by a suicide car bombing in south-eastern Baghdad.

A US soldier is also said to have died in the blast. Another three US soldiers are reported to have been injured.

A car drove up to a US army vehicle and blew up as troops gave sweets to the children, a witness said.

Hundreds of Iraqis have died in attacks by militants opposed to the US presence and a Shia-led government that took charge in Baghdad earlier this year.

*** Warhawk ***

73. Re: Ronin Jul 14, 2005, 22:02 VT Hoodlum

Of course all car chases are staged. The Matrix, though, is on a whole other level of fake. I loved that chase scene, but 80% of the vehicles seen in that weren't there at all. When trinity is weaving so tightly between cars it looks almost impossible, that's because it is, and she (her stunt driver, rather) was just following a predetermined path, and they added all the cars in in post production. Bullit(though I havn't seen it), the Bourne Chases, Ronin, etc, actually used real cars driving past other real cars. If you want to call that fake, then, yes, pretty much everything except Cops is fake. There's a big difference, though, between weaving in and out of staged, but physically real traffic at 100 mph, and driving down an empty highway on a motorcycle.

72. Re: Europe to fall silent Jul 14, 2005, 21:58 Warhawk

Twice counts as repeatedly I suppose.

Twice? I know you and I disagree on a lot, but I thought you could count.

2 at the WTC
Pentagon
Pennsylvania
Previous WTC
Cole attack
Two embassy bombings the same day
Military barracks attack

That is in 10 seconds off the top of my head, I know there are more. Please, give those killed in these attacks (and others) the respect they deserve and don't forget about them.

*** Warhawk ***

71. Re: Ronin Jul 14, 2005, 21:53 nin

MG, was it you asking about BB? Found it...8/30!

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?searchID=1104212&item_id=690779

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

I have to apologize for the way I feel... http://www.nin.com

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

70. Dance of Death Jul 14, 2005, 21:53 Warhawk

Just finished this book by Preston / Child and am still enjoying their work, especially now that they are tying in a lot of their old storylines. Definitely entertaining, but not quite as in-depth as Relic or some of their others.

Makes me want to re-read their older stuff to refresh my memory on how some of the characters/plots fit together in those.

*** Warhawk ***

69. Re: Ronin Jul 14, 2005, 21:46 mysticgeek

they're all fake, including Bullit

How old are you kid? Please go back to school.

I'm probably older than most people here at 43...but do you really think the Bullit chase scene was real? It was staged, as ALL car chases are staged. Staged back then, staged today.

Or are you really that gullible?

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo