Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF2 Hotfix Coming - Downgrade Suggested

A new Battlefield 2 Community Update has a status report on plans for a hotfix for memory leak issues with Battlefield 2 version 1.01. Although the site states "EA and DICE are committed to getting a fix for v1.01 as soon as we possibly can," in the meantime they are suggesting that users downgrade by reinstalling the original unpatched version of the game:

HOTFIX for Battlefield 2 v1.01 Coming Soon
First off, a HUGE thanks to all of you who emailed me in regards to the memory leak found in the update we released earlier this week (v1.01). Your emails found their way to our production team and they’re in the process of evaluating what needs to be done in order to get this fixed. In the meantime, and since the 1.01 update is causing memory leakage on some systems, we recommend that you reinstall the game and NOT the v1.01 update we released earlier this week.

Reinstalling Battlefield 2 will not affect your in-game medals or ranked server statistics. EA and DICE are committed to getting a fix for v1.01 as soon as we possibly can and will continue to keep you informed through this web space in the coming days.

NOTE: If you installed and are running the newer server files (Win and Linux versions) we made available earlier this week, please revert those as well. We found that those files had the same issues with memory leaks as did the v1.01 update. You can download the older versions here.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2005, 15:51 Overon

This is absolutely insulting to loyal Battlefield fans, and embarassing for DICE and EA.

A title that is THIS high profile has absolutely NO excuse for such terrible support. EA and DICE could not have possibly been ignorant of the fact that they shipped the retail game with a broken server browser. But publishers knowingly ship titles with bugs and broken features all the time. What is totally inexcuseable is the fact that their patch DIDN'T FIX THESE ISSUES, but only added MORE.

That's INSANE.

EA ought to be ashamed of themselves. I expect these kind of shenanigans from Majesco, not the #1 game company in North America.

Anyone who is searching for evidence as to why PC gaming is on the decline while console gaming is on the rise need look no further than this situation.

This would never occur on a console. But PC game publishers know that PC gamers are willing to patch, rollback, repatch, and do a little dance while developers and publishers get their shit together.
Dentrassi you should post exactly what you posted here:
http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=6
But take out the word "shit" though when you post it there

Your post is eloquent and effective.
This comment was edited on Jul 10, 15:51.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. No subject Jul 10, 2005, 14:55 Dentrassi

This is absolutely insulting to loyal Battlefield fans, and embarassing for DICE and EA.

A title that is THIS high profile has absolutely NO excuse for such terrible support. EA and DICE could not have possibly been ignorant of the fact that they shipped the retail game with a broken server browser. But publishers knowingly ship titles with bugs and broken features all the time. What is totally inexcuseable is the fact that their patch DIDN'T FIX THESE ISSUES, but only added MORE.

That's INSANE.

EA ought to be ashamed of themselves. I expect these kind of shenanigans from Majesco, not the #1 game company in North America.

Anyone who is searching for evidence as to why PC gaming is on the decline while console gaming is on the rise need look no further than this situation.

This would never occur on a console. But PC game publishers know that PC gamers are willing to patch, rollback, repatch, and do a little dance while developers and publishers get their shit together.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 14:57.

48. No subject Jul 10, 2005, 13:40 xXBatmanXx

Be nice if we could have img tags so we could use our sig img from http://bf2stats.ausgamers.com/ to display our ranks, etc.

xXBatmanXx - Lance Corporal xXBatmanXx
http://bf2stats.ausgamers.com/stats/45215952
Just say NO to drugs propaganda.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

47. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2005, 10:05 MMORPGHoD

I'm still not seeing the any new problems with the 1.01 patch. Played for six hours straight with no issues, no crashes and no server resets. Luckily many of the servers so far are ignoring the downgrade suggestion. They probably figure the servers have been getting reset anyways for whatever reason, memory leak or no memory leak.

46. No subject Jul 10, 2005, 00:19 xXBatmanXx

Where's tumbler?

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman

Just say NO to drugs propaganda.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

45. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2005, 21:45 Todd

And make sure you get a picture of the face of the Best Buy Employee working the customer service desk as they laugh in your face cause you want to return open software

While legally Best Buy is not obligated to take it back, if you POLITELY and firmly make a case and stand your ground about how the game is defective, they will probably allow the return so that you are satisfied. I've done this for games that were released and clearly not finished before with no trouble, but I suspect results will vary.

44. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2005, 19:58 MindTrigger

I'm also sick of hearing this "coming soon" shit. Wake us up when the patch/game/expansion/etc is done.

---
EA = Game Nazis

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

43. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2005, 17:57 Rob

Hate to break it to ya folks, but no major retailor out there will accept open software, and some will not even accept it even if the box is unsealed.

They can try to tell you no. They are legally obligated (US, other countries YMMV) to take back things that do not perform as advertised, this includes software. You make a good faith effort, then call your credit card company on a cell phone from the customer service desk to cancel the charge.

42. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2005, 17:27 Overon

All seeing eye went the way of greedy corporate buy outs, now owned by Yahoo and charging 15 a year in subscriptions to use the program.
Yeah it's pretty insane. However you don't need to register to it to be able to list and join servers.
Also there are alternatives to ASE as well.

41. No subject Jul 9, 2005, 17:16 DangerDog

All seeing eye went the way of greedy corporate buy outs, now owned by Yahoo and charging 15 a year in subscriptions to use the program.

40. Re: This isn't the patch you're looking Jul 9, 2005, 14:25 Hollowguy

Okay for all of you here is a list of server browsers that I know of (in no particular order). Google them all if you want them.

Kali
Qtracker
HLSW
Kquery
The All Seeing Eye

Xfire also supports the patched version of the game, but it took forever to connect with it.

39. HOTFIX for Battlefield 2 v1.01 Coming So Jul 9, 2005, 14:22 Hollowguy

I guess the 'test fix' they were working on turned out to be a "Not-so-HOTFIX"

I was able to play the game patched again last for a few hours with only a few instances 'connection interrupts.' There were alot of servers running the new version - btw.

I'm thinking that the "suggestion" to revert back to the original out of the box version means that it will be necessary to do when they finally release the new and improved patch. (improved is used relatively)

I also think that they should've spared the clients the hassle of reinstalling by releasing a patch to revert whatever files needed to go back. Sure it might've taken them some time, but at least everyone would know what the F**k is going on and would be using the same client version instead of what is happenening now.

38. Re: This isn't the patch you're looking Jul 9, 2005, 14:18 Overon

Okay for all of you here is a list of server browsers that I know of (in no particular order). Google them all if you want them.

Kali
Qtracker
HLSW
Kquery
The All Seeing Eye

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 14:19.

37. Re: This isn't the patch you're looking Jul 9, 2005, 14:15 Overon

I think there is a memory leak in the client. After a few hours of playing on a server, my fps drops hard and (I use the draw fps command) but my ping is fine. So not only does the servers have memory leaks but so do the clients.

36. This isn't the patch you're looking for Jul 9, 2005, 14:01 DangerDog

I would be flat out amazed if DICE ever gets around to fixing the server browser and adding in basic functionality like favorites list or friends search etc.

Just go grab Qtracker 4.03 from qtracker.com, it's a freeware/donation supported server browser that works with BF2, if you're sticking with the 1.01 patch you can join servers from it or if you rolled back to retail you can still use it to find a better server and write down the ip and use the connect by ip feature from in game.

Be sure to browse around the forums, there's a few filters that are useful in the filters section, and a mapshot pack for the mini-map pictures qtracker supports in the mapshots section.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 14:02.

35. Re: *snickers* Jul 9, 2005, 13:33 Parallax Abstraction

Its still amazes me games are released in such a state, but I blame that more on the publisher than the developer. Like T2 at its time BF2 is a step up in mulitplayer gaming and with that you are pushing the envelope.

Wait a minute, weren't you saying yesterday that people should be cutting EA some slack and primarily blaming DICE for the state of BF2? Not that I entirely disagree, but I'm trying to understand here. Really though, EA now owns DICE (which did happen before DICE supposedly killed off Trauma Studios, I think EA did it and made DICE take the blame for image purposes) so they are now one in the same.

EDIT: Wait, no you weren't! Tricky bugger.

Parallax Abstraction
Founder of StateOfGaming.org - Coming Soon
Commentary & Discussion About the Video Game Industry and Its Future
This comment was edited on Jul 9, 13:35.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

34. Re: hotfix coming Jul 9, 2005, 11:36 Beamer

You know it's getting bad when even Tumbler is losing his patience.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. No subject Jul 9, 2005, 10:48 KilrathiAce

Why not release a patch that patches files back or replaces them to 1.00.... wow they asking people to reinstall, EA can **** my ****. Kthx.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

32. Re: How to return shit to the fucking st Jul 9, 2005, 09:49 The Half Elf

It's a mutiny, RUN TUMBLER RUN!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

31. Re: How to return shit to the fucking st Jul 9, 2005, 09:30 Flo

BTW: I hope lots of underpaid EA/Dice programming slaves are sent to the fire pit for night shifts for this.. mwuahahaha
OK, that wasnt nice...

Edit: MWUAHAHAHAHA

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 09:31.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo