Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BF2 Patch Soon

A new Battlefield 2 Community Update (thanks Ant) indicates a patch is on the way soon for DICE's first-person shooter. Word is the update will include fixes for multiplayer browser issues and addresses left mouse button binding issues. There is also news on plans for a fixed Linux server, a BF2 editor update, and an announcement that today will see the release of a new tool to the community from Foolish Entertainment called the Advanced Tactical Center for Battlefield 2:

This easy to use tool allows your clan to communicate tactics easily and evolve them together in real time! There are also some new tools to the ATC like "zoom", "export tactic" and a "Custom Map Wizard" that builds upon the already large library of tools! Create and manage your squad before even joining a server with ATC. For more information on ATC, visit www.foolishentertainment.com

View
84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

84. No subject Jul 2, 2005, 11:58 xXBatmanXx

Ok.
I got BF2.
It worked great on my nVidia 5500 with default settings (I cranked it to 1024x768)
I changed 2 things to high (they were all medium)
It chopped like hell.

I installed an ATI 800 Pro.
Everything is now HIGH and Running 1024x768 like a DREAM!

Game is awesome.
Everyone should put their stats link in their signature.

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman

Just say NO to drugs propaganda.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

83. Re: No subject Jul 2, 2005, 06:48 The Half Elf

Nope only time I don't use CptRanger is in MMO type games like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars etc.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

82. Re: Why are you so surprised? Jul 2, 2005, 04:33 L0cky

I still think that almost everyone must be having issues.

I think cansser said it best:
not too many ppl are posting success runnign the game because their busy playing it!

To put it into perspective, only two people in this thread said it was unplayable due to lag, three said they couldn't play because of crashing and ten committed to the game running well (and most, if not all of these are regulars). The rest didn't commit either way and based on cansser's logic I'd guess they have no show stopping problems.

One person hasn't and never will play it, so obviously he can't establish an informed opinion (you know who you are %)).

I'm not pointing this out just for bf2, but really any game out there. People usually speak up if they have a problem and don't if they don't.

As for Tumbler, there is a danger of over compensating for him Tumbler != BF2 however much he wants to.

81. Why are you so surprised? Jul 2, 2005, 02:18 DedFish

What game hasn't needed a patch shortly after release?

80. Re: No subject Jul 2, 2005, 01:32 Cynips

And if ya see me online CptRanger just say hello.
Do you ever use 'The Half Elf' as your online nick while gaming?

Reality is a nice place, but I wouldn't want to live there!

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

79. Re: No subject Jul 2, 2005, 01:22 The Half Elf

And I agree most people are not having problems. With exception to the first 48 hours I've had no problems with the ingame browser but I would love to have some sort of friends and or favorites list. I've had a few CTD's mostly at the end of the rounds when the scores are being displayed. But was kinda surprised even with the back log they did have with rankings that I never did get my helicopter service ribbon that I got in game (which startled me and caused me to fly into a nuclear reactor).

And for the life of me I cannot get my gamepad setup to work well with jets. So if ya ever see me get into a jet, back away quickly cause I'm more of a danger to others and use them to get across the map.

And if ya see me online CptRanger just say hello.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

78. No subject Jul 2, 2005, 00:45 Tim

My ping hovers around 14 on the servers I play on, and have had a stellar online experience, Thank You Battlefield 2.  

77. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 23:44 Beamer

Hence "seems" in front of it.

However, I was referring to bluesnews regulars, and of the people I consider regulars, it seems that most are complaining. The people I consider regulars are complainers by nature, sure, but the majority of people whose names I recognize complain about lag in the game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

76. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 22:52 Zathrus

Yeah, it seems a fair amount haven't had problems, but most have.

I question that "most" statement. As with anything, you get far more responses from people with problems than you do from people without any. That's human nature and is true for any product or service. When was the last time you called a company to say "hey, everything works great! Thanks!"?

I have had pretty much zero problems with BF2. I've had one CTD, but that was due to the known buggy linux server code. I have connected to 2 or 3 laggy (ranked) servers -- but that's out of a couple dozen at this point, so I don't consider it the norm.

Are people having problems? Sure. And they should be fixed. But they're hardly the majority. The vast number of people playing on both ranked and unranked servers indicates that's untrue.

Oh, and absolutely no comment on the bots because I simply don't play the SP game. But from everything I've heard they just suck, which is rather sad.

75. OpenTournament This weekend Jul 1, 2005, 20:37 b3ak3r

Free BF2 Tournament at http://www.firescore.com

prize: Dell 20" Flat Panel Monitor

Dates: Saturday July 2nd & Sunday July 3rd

Time: 4 PM MDT to 8 PM MDT

Servers: 2 -32 players, 2-64 players = 192 players players can come and go but they have to be in the game at the end each round for their scores to count. So the total number of players should be much higher.

Rules: You must play on FireScore BF2 Servers

You must play using your registered FireScore Handle

You must be in the game at the end of each round to count

You must be registered on the FireScore site to win.

Only 1 prize is offered

READ ALL THE RULES

Regulations: READ ALL THE REGULATIONS - By playing in the tournament all players agree to the terms of the rules and regulations

Maps: Map selection is random selected by FireScore judges

Rounds: 1 map per round

Map Time: Map times will run between 30 minutes and 1 hour selected by FireScore judges

Scoring: FireScore is using a multiplier system. All scores are based on how BF2 reports your scores.

* Total Score - 1=1
* Skill Points - 1=2
* Deaths are subtracted from the total
* EXAMPLE: 50 total points AND 25 skill points AND 10 deaths = 90 Tournament Point
o 50 + (25 *2) - 10 = 90

Tie: In the event of a tie, the players tied will compete in a 30 minute match on Monday beginning at 6:00 pm MDT.

Results are totaled and posted on the site not later than Sunday morning for round 1 and Monday morning for the total scores by 9:00 pm MDT.
Remember, if you're not registered, you can't win. There is NO special registration process for the tournament. Just register for the FIRESCORE.COM.

74. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 19:26 MrShoop

But usually top console games sell ~200-300k in a month (most would expect this is a larger audience). I haven't been able to find what the usual top selling game is for the PC. There has been a large drought of good PC games and BF2 had plenty of hype, so maybe they really did sell 1.3 million copies in under a month.

Halo 2 sold 5 million copies in 3 weeks, not saying that is usual though. Pretty much all of the top 10 sellers in Q4 on console will be ~500,000+ units a month, dropping off somewhat as you move into Q1. Looking at a big PC title, Half Life 2 sold 1.7 million in the first 2 months. Given the time of year, I'd think BF 2 sales would be slower, but could be close.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 20:19.

73. No subject Jul 1, 2005, 18:22 space captain

why the hell dont they mention the monster lag everyone experiences from time to time (especially during peak hours)??

thats fucking lame - the shit needs to be fixed BIG TIME

if its a server problem, fix the server code - goddamnit do something... its not like this is a rare problem

Go forth, and kill!

72. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 18:17 The Half Elf

Fang again please do not read more then there is to read. I said 1.3 million players, no where did I EVER mention 1.3 million copies of the game itself. I mean the PC Market just doesn't see those type of numbers for game releases, that's the console's claim to fame. PC games over time may sell that many copies for a single game and or franchise (Myth anyone).

And of this posting BF2 is roughly 2000 players shy of HL2 taking the number one spot on Gamespy's stat board. Honestly I think once the patch comes out and Arcade is supported the number will alot closer.

I also I'm not trying to bash either game as CS was fun for me to play 4 years ago, and is a testament to what good community support will bring to a game. But once I finished HL2 and played a little with CS:S I tired of the game quickly. My biggest complaint being what I call CS Jump bunnies, which are quickly inhabiting BF2.

71. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 18:00 Tim

In three years Battlefield 3 will be out. Good luck HL2 trying to compete with that.

CS:S is the Playmobil equivalent of a FPS shooter, when compared to Battlefield 2.

Anyway I personally hope that the CS:S users dont abscond their habitat over there in steam world (im hoping their apparent lack of ability to install a patch without it being fed to them by a tube will keep them at bay) because that would be unfortunate.

Im surprised a game that will probably only run on the top 15 percent of systems is being played so widely.

edited: For Shpelig

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 18:07.

70. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 17:46 Fang

Some people seem to be under the misconception that I am bashing HL2, or promoting BF2 in it's stead. Neither is the case. I own both, enjoy both, but to claim that any shooter is bigger than BF2 right now is just silly as far as I'm concerned, especially considering it's only been out for a week.

Sure, and likewise I'm not trying to bash BF2. I expect that I will eventually pick it up once plenty of patches have been released for it.

I'm just pointing out that while BF2 has a lot of hype/publicity since its the latest thing, if you are looking for most played fps, its not quite there. HL, or I should say CounterStrike, still has over 100,000 players on it. Keep in mind this isn't me saying that CS is better or that "my game" is bigger than your game. Just trying to state the facts. If it makes you feel better, I retired my MP5 a long time ago. In fact, I've played BF1942 more recently than CS.

69. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 17:35 Fang

EA states that the reason the servers processing the ranked stats were bogged down is cause they were processing 1.3 MILLION players. Source of the info is either TotalBF2 or PlanetBattlefield.

Great, then this is comparable to the 2.3 million unique monthly Steam players. Now of course this probably isn't referring to the number of player game sessions that they have to process. But its reasonable to assume that EA has sold 1.3 million copies of BF2 in the last half month. Or is it? They may very well. But usually top console games sell ~200-300k in a month (most would expect this is a larger audience). I haven't been able to find what the usual top selling game is for the PC. There has been a large drought of good PC games and BF2 had plenty of hype, so maybe they really did sell 1.3 million copies in under a month.

And reguardless WHERE people are if you want to compair pure player numbers at least from Gamespy at least take a sampling at a time where your figures have some reasonable basis behind them.

Not quite sure what this means, the Asia internet cafe's reference was a joke. I assume you are trying to say that you want to compare peak numbers. Well, with the fact that the internet is global, do you mind telling us when we should expect the peak number of players to be? 8 PM EST?

What you really want to see is a graph from EA like the one Valve posts at the previous link.

you are ASSuming that everyone is only playing CS and CS:S.

You are right, my bad. Only 96.1% of online HL2 players are playing CS:S at the moment according to Gamespy. Though again, Gamespy isn't that accurate. It seems to be missing a few tens of thousand of Steam players.

68. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 17:32 Beamer

Yeah, it seems a fair amount haven't had problems, but most have.

Like I said, I can't speak from experience, I just know the demo. No lag issues, just massive interface issues. And I ODd and never want to see a desert combat game again.

-------------

67. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 17:32 Teddy

Half-life and Half-life 2 are old news. They've sold as many copies as they are going to.

If you say so.

I do say so, in fact. The massive boost in late half-life sales was primarily due to the commercial release of Counter-strike in stores. That's when it suddenly skyrocketed in players.

Half-life 2 shipped with CS:S, had the bonus of being the biggest sequel in gaming history and has no mods in creation that are causing the same kind of stir. As for releases of expansions... they have little bearing on the sales of a game like HL2. Everyone and their mother bought that game already. The addons will sell, of course, but the additional sales of the original HL2 as a result will be insignificant.

As I said, anyone who's going to buy HL and HL2 have already done so. Any future numbers will be so small they aren't even worth looking at. Regardless of what you may think, I simply do not believe that there is some mass quantity of gamers waiting for the release of DoD:S or Aftermath to buy HL2.

Some people seem to be under the misconception that I am bashing HL2, or promoting BF2 in it's stead. Neither is the case. I own both, enjoy both, but to claim that any shooter is bigger than BF2 right now is just silly as far as I'm concerned, especially considering it's only been out for a week.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 17:34.

66. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 17:31 sponge

Beamer: I haven't had many problems, only 1 CTD. But I don't do anything exotic, and I only play on my clan servers.

So take that, I'm not new, and I think Tumbler is annoying

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 17:31.

65. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 17:28 Beamer

Also HL 1 and 2 are entirely diffrent games, and you are ASSuming that everyone is only playing CS and CS:S.

No, we're pretty certain of this. Gamespy breaks it out by gametype, and while the other types have decent showings, it's still like 30,000 people playing CS and another 30,000 playing CS:S.

Of course, now the Gamespy stats for HL/HL2 are in question. Easier just to use them, but Gamespy may be missing some. Less likely they're missing BF2 stats, as it's their software. Still could be, though, I don't know if it's their server listing the games.

In any case I still think the BF2 numbers are damn impressive. I haven't seen a game launch that strongly since HL2.

And I still think that almost everyone must be having issues. If 90% of the BN regulars are having trouble, if Blue himself has said he's having trouble, I'd imagine it's widespread. It seems as if the people that pop in to say the game is flawless are all new posters. I imagine them high-fiving Tumbler later on in the hallways...

-------------

84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo