Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

Full Brian Lara Cricket Demo

The full version of the Brian Lara International Cricket 2005 demo is now available, offering the chance to sample the upcoming sports simulation, including voice-overs from the commentators. The 899 MB download is available on 3D Gamers, FileFront, and FileShack.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2005, 09:55 Rethcir

Maybe they meant "Mexico won!"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. No subject Jul 1, 2005, 03:38 Wilf

Cricket will never take off in the states since there is always that chance that the game can end in a draw.

I was in Florida for the '94 World Cup finals and remember tuning in to a radio station for some results as we travelled back from some place.

Mexico were playing. I forget who. It didn't seem to matter. They won by a goal. The sports announcer on the radio announced it thus - "And in today's important 2nd round game, Mexico 1".

lol. The other team didn't warrant a mention since they'd failed to score.

Gotta love you American guys.

26. Re: No subject Jun 30, 2005, 20:59 PHJF

Because American football fucking sucks, that's why. I for one think all sports are boring from spectator's PoV, but having played years of basketball/football/soccer/baseball I can easily say football is the single most boring sport ever created. Unless you are a QB or a receiver or a runningback, all you do is push the guy in front of you. Then push him again. Then again. Wow, excitement.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

25. No subject Jun 30, 2005, 20:44 Shadowcat

It is true that cricket takes some getting used to. Especially test cricket, where you can play for five days and very frequently end in a draw I always figured that aspect of the game would pretty much rule out wide-spread interest from the U.S. (although having now written the next paragraph, it's worth mentioning the test cricket is also a highly strategic game, so maybe I'm wrong about its potential appeal...)

Someone asked about American Football, and I think you probably hit the nail on the head with the strategy comment. All other "football" games are relatively fast free-flowing affairs... there's still strategy, but the game is always moving. I guess when we see a game called "football", this is what we expect to see, and as a result American Football appears to be incredibly boring, because they've ripped out all the flowing play in favour of extra levels of strategic planning and execution. So yeah, we're probably looking for the wrong things when we see it, and missing out on the enjoyable aspects altogether.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 20:46.

24. Re: Cricket Jun 30, 2005, 19:37 JP

"Baseball is only dull to dull minds". Not sure who said that but I think it's kinda true. Applies to cricket as well I think.

American football is pretty big in Europe I think. At least I've seen quite a few games from Germany....

23. Re: Cricket Jun 30, 2005, 18:58  famished 

Speaking as an american, cricket seems like a cool sport. I don't see why the other posters have to be so critical. Boston needs a circket team so we can get yet another world championship!

? Boston? Cricket? World Championship? Please educate me.

22. Re: Actually Jun 30, 2005, 18:56  famished 

Lets hope this blows that crap EA Cricket 2005 demo out of the water.
Yeah that demo was very bad. I'm looking forward to test this. All 900Mb of it

21. Re: Cricket Jun 30, 2005, 17:50 Ihya

Thing is about American Football is the UK, France, Australia, Ireland and a few others have rugby as a contact sport so we have no real need for it.

Sports doesn't seem to be one of the things that export so well from the U.S. Basketball is a slight exception as it is reasonably popular to play with your mates, but certainly no spectator sport here.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 17:54.

20. Re: Cricket Jun 30, 2005, 17:34 Fang

Talking about difference in sports, I don't understand why American football isn't more popular. Sure, I understand the appeal of the other sports, but I'm wondering why American football hasn't appealed to the rest of the world and gotten as big as it has in the States.

Is it that there is a learning curve to appreciate the strategy of the game? So new spectactors are put off?

19. Re: Cricket Jun 30, 2005, 17:06 Creston

Boston needs a circket team so we can get yet another world championship!

Oohhhhh I hate you...

Creston

18. Re: Cricket Jun 30, 2005, 16:56 Elf Shot The Food

Can you eat cucumber sandwiches?

17. Cricket Jun 30, 2005, 16:52 Rethcir

Speaking as an american, cricket seems like a cool sport. I don't see why the other posters have to be so critical. Boston needs a circket team so we can get yet another world championship!

16. No subject Jun 30, 2005, 16:52 Xenos Overdrive

Not knockin' the good ole US, but that country's pretty insular as far as sport go. What, the biggest stuff is pro basketball, football, and baseball? That and golf, I suppose.

Football (soccer) is, obviously, the first.

Amen. Though I rank cycling higher than cricket, to each their own.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 17:03.

15. Re: Actually Jun 30, 2005, 16:30 Two_Sheds

If my time living in the UK has taught me anything, it's that Cricket is the second greatest sport on the face of the planet. Football (soccer) is, obviously, the first.

14. Re: Actually Jun 30, 2005, 15:05 Capella

I'm actually looking forward to this developer's next game more:

Bob Villa's Watching Paint Dry

LMFAO!!!

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

13. Re: Wow Jun 30, 2005, 14:31 Halsy

Well that's just cricket, old sock.

"Let me explain to you the kind of man Gary is. He's a man who knows that when you put another man's cock in your mouth, you make a pact."
- Spottswoode, Team America

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

12. Re: Actually Jun 30, 2005, 13:54 Ihya

Mostly anywhere that was once a part of the British Empire plays cricket, other than you Yanks who seemed to have thrown the cricket stumps after us once we were evicted

11. Re: Actually Jun 30, 2005, 13:52 everyone

I'm actually looking forward to this developer's next game more:

Bob Villa's Watching Paint Dry

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 13:53.

10. Re: Actually Jun 30, 2005, 13:31 Kiro

Lets hope this blows that crap EA Cricket 2005 demo out of the water. EA have a habit of releasing terrible demos and the cricket one was no exception. Added to that is the fact the graphics looked like ass. The original Brian Lara cricket was alot of fun though. Downloading at the moment, 60 minutes left.

<+pihlopase> Jesus Saves
<@jbroome> pases to moses, SCOOOOORE

9. Re: Actually Jun 30, 2005, 13:26 Creston

Do you think you caould learn Cricket from the game, or do you need to know cricket to enjoy the game

I'm sure you could learn it from the demo / game. It's not terribly complicated to pick up in any case, and the basics are pretty simple.

Having said that, if you think baseball is boring, there's not much chance you'll enjoy cricket

Creston

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo