Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - EQ2: The Splitpaw Saga

The EverQuest II Website (thanks Frans) has news of the availability of The Splitpaw Saga, the second adventure pack for the MMORPG expansion:

The EverQuest II team is pleased to announce the launch of our second Adventure Pack: The Splitpaw Saga! Those who purchase this Adventure Pack can access the new zones and /claim their azure shard. Venture into the Thundering Steppes, examine your shard, and seek out the mysterious terraporters that have appeared!

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 16:45 nin

so I assume (when I assume I make an ass out of you.) he was commenting on Blues' posters more than on the game.

Oh, I'm routinely an ass anyway, so there's no hurt feelings there.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 19 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

If you look at your reflection, is that all you want to be? http://www.nin.com

http://henryandheidi.libsyn.com/rss
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 16:26 Awesome Spume

Wait'll Guild Wars starts charging for their new content though (since that's their stated business model.) - there's going to be some bitching then.

Oh, you mean the free ones coming this summer?
ftp://64.154.197.2/movies/sorrows-furnace-wmv-lg.zip

And like C said, why would we bitch? We haven't been paying $15 a month, like some people.

The animosity that GW fosters from other players used to paying $15 a month is a riot.

Nakano is in my GW guild. He routinely pays 100s of $ for shit he doesn't even know about. Forgive him. He's actually still playing GW, unlike myself, so I assume (when I assume I make an ass out of you.) he was commenting on Blues' posters more than on the game.

19. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 16:23 PHJF

I'm only speaking from experience. My primary hobby is computer gaming, which I've been doing for years, but whenever I play basketball or football I'm quite well off reflex and coordination wise.

And I just picked up making/using lockpicks, and that is going surprisingly well. I'm not saying playing videogames has made me a brain surgeon, but it has damn well more than slightly improved me.

Oh, and I am unstoppable at paintball, in terms not only of accurate shooting but also in shot avoidance and subterfuge. Once again as the only hobby I can think of to improve those abilities is computer games, vastly is more than appropriate.

If computer games haven't honed my abilities, than my skills must be innate. But I doubt that.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 12:12 MMORPGHoD

What those studies don't tell you is the children playing a ton of sports have bodies that are falling apart by the time they're 30. Not that playing video games all day is a solution either, but it just goes to show you too much of anything isn't good. Everything in moderation.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 14:20.

17. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 11:18 Teddy

The scores of shooters and racing games I have played have inevitably vastly increased my reflexes and coordination throughout my activities off the computer.

The scores of strategy, puzzle, and RP games have inevitably vastly improved my cognitive abilities including problem solving and critical thinking.

You might want to do a little research on those statements. It's a generally well known fact that children who spend a great deal of time playing video games have far less coordination than those who spend that time playing sports. They tend to have greater manual dexterity - are better with small finite movements of their hands - but their overall coordination and reflexes are terrible.

As for the puzzle games, I'm inclined to agree though as someone else stated, the word 'vastly' doesn't belong in there. Yes, playing puzzle games and adventure games tend to help keep your brain active. Strategy games? They tend to be more build a big army and throw it at your enemy, though I'll admit there are some that are better than others (I'll throw in Superpower 2 as an example). RPG's tend to involve endless beating on things to gain levels. Not much thought involved on your part.

16. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 11:01 StevieWonder

Your post--------------------------------
The scores of shooters and racing games I have played have inevitably vastly increased my reflexes and coordination throughout my activities off the computer.

The scores of strategy, puzzle, and RP games have inevitably vastly improved my cognitive abilities including problem solving and critical thinking.

So, I'm just gonna have to disagree with you on that one...
My comment-------------------------------

Make sure you put that on your resume...

Professional
123 Main Street
555-555-1234

Objective:
To obtain a position as a (Insert Profession Here)

Qualifications:
*VASTLY IMPROVED REFLEXES AND COORDINATION FROM HOURS PLAYING FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS AND RACING GAMES.
*VASTLY IMPROVED COGNITIVE ABILITES AND CRITICAL THINKING FROM PLAYING STRATEGY AND ROLE PLAYING GAMES.

...good luck with that.

15. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 09:53 nin

Wait'll Guild Wars starts charging for their new content though (since that's their stated business model.) - there's going to be some bitching then.

Oh, you mean the free ones coming this summer?
ftp://64.154.197.2/movies/sorrows-furnace-wmv-lg.zip

And like C said, why would we bitch? We haven't been paying $15 a month, like some people.

The animosity that GW fosters from other players used to paying $15 a month is a riot.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 19 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

If you look at your reflection, is that all you want to be? http://www.nin.com

http://henryandheidi.libsyn.com/rss

14. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 09:43 Bludd

Every time they add content they charge for it? You're very wrong there, Creston.

There have been many free content additions to EQ2. Latest was an abduction scenario which was the first part of the Splitpaw Saga. Earlier, there was a minidungeon called Necromancer's lair and I believe there have been others but I would have to search the update notes and I can't be bothered with that now.

13. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 09:33 Creston

All games are of course wastes of time

I'll go even better. I can now murder whomever I want, because my murder simulators have trained me to be a silent assassin plus an expert in every weapon and every form of martial art imagineable.

hell, if Aliens invade tomorrow, I can just pick up one of their weapons and use it against them! All because of my training!

Thank you games!!!1!one!11

Errr... slightly offtopic there.

I love how SOE keeps chanting the mantra that your montly fee pays for server maintenance, bandwith AND content updates, but every time they add content, they charge you for it. And millions of lemmings keep coughing up more money for Sony.

Creston

Errm no. For one, Arenanet has stated from the beginning that they would charge for expansion packs. And second, they do NOT charge fifteen bucks a month.
Ergo, I doubt many people will complain about the fact they'd have to PAY for an expansion.

They might complain about the CONTENT of said expansion, ofcourse.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 09:35.

12. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 09:17 aldo_14

I doubt it (at least not in any widespread sense; there's always the odd one).... given that they're not charging a subscription and they'd be nuts to require people to buy an expansion pack to continue playing, the net effect would be the same as for an EP released for a single player game.

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

11. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 09:12 Zathrus

Really ? Which ones.

City of Heroes has had 4 major "issues" that were all free. The first increased the level cap from 40 to 50, added 2 new zones, a trial (kinda like a zone), and 3 villian groups. The second added capes, effects, badges, 2 zones, 3 trials, 2 villian groups, and numerous other enhancements. The third added a new zone, replaced a villian group, 2 new player types, adjustable mission difficulty, and a ton of powers. The fourth added PvP combat and some other stuff.

Essentially stuff that a lot of other MMO's charge for. You could argue that CoH had some of the smallest content to start with for any major MMO (and I'd agree), but they've also rolled out more stuff "for free" than just about any other MMO as well.

10. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 09:01 Zathrus

if you know you are not going to play again I think it's more stupid not to get what you can out of it.

If you don't care that people who still play will be pissed off about your selling, and confused by the fact that it's a different player, and so forth.

And yes, I still have friends from playing EQ. And I've met a number of them in real life.

And I suppose, that by that extension, all entertainment of any form is a waste of time. I disagree, and in my particular case I can absolutely disprove that EQ was a waste of time (however, my case is most certainly the exception and not the rule).

the phenomenon that occured with EQ was that so many people really hated the game, but were (and some still are) so addicted that they keep playing

It was more that the game producers were hated (Verant and then SOE) than the game. The players knew far more about the game than the developers did, and yet the players were routinely ignored (which is the case for most MMO's, although some -- like CoH and apparantly GW -- do a better job than others in community relations).

But the general gist of what you're saying regarding addiction is certainly true. I have a lot of fond memories of EQ, but god I had a lot of really shitty times too.

9. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 08:26 Bill Nakano

Really ? Which ones.

The various Asherons often had new content on a monthly basis. Eve Online has had 2 or 3 free expansions, even WOW has given us Battlegrounds.

8. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 05:22 asrof

Do you know what the word vastly means? For your sake I hope not. I guess you heard about that book, Everything Bad is Good for You and maybe even read it, though thats doubtful.

Video games aren't as bad as most people think, but they aren't some kind of super human training program. Playing video games generally makes you better at... video games. Though I'm sure that racing sponsors and secret government agencies as well as prestigious thinktanks are all seeking your godlike abilities gained from playing computer games.

I should be careful though, I'm sure you played enough street fighter that you could dragon punch me into the next millenium and I'd never see it coming thanks to your blinding speed!

7. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 03:13 Duc

Really ? Which ones.

6. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 01:17 The Half Elf

I guess it's the fact that these 'adventure packs' are free for pretty much every other mmorpg out there, yet SOE/EQ charges for them.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

5. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 01:10 PHJF

So, I'm just gonna have to disagree with you on that one...

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Once more... Jun 30, 2005, 00:41 asrof

Now now, it's just a case of disgruntled SOE customer, nothing new. The trick to not feeling bad about paying so much was to make even more back when you quit.

I do think it's stupid that people are willing to spend money on virtual characters and items, but if you know you are not going to play again I think it's more stupid not to get what you can out of it.

All games are of course wastes of time, the phenomenon that occured with EQ was that so many people really hated the game, but were (and some still are) so addicted that they keep playing. Most drug addicts probably aren't thrilled about being addicts, and probably don't look fondly on the experience after they've kicked the habit.

3. Re: Once more... Jun 29, 2005, 23:28 Undead Scottsman

A GAME designed a timesink? What is this world coming to?

2. Re: Once more... Jun 29, 2005, 23:18 Morgan19

Looking back I can see the whole thing was designed as a huge time sink.

No, really?

m19

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo