Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF2 Stats Viewer

Battlefield Nation now offers downloads of a proof-of-concept CGI script to allow Battlefield 2 players to view their stats from ranked servers bypassing the BFHQ interface. The source code for the script is available publicly under the MIT license.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Stats Jun 28, 2005, 01:11 Skoll

You guys are talking about only 1 of the leaderboards. The Score leaderboard is, of course, based on total points which factors in lots of things.

My original post that started this argument was about the Kits leaderboard. On it there are 3 columns: Kills, Deaths, Time. Why should medics or engineers or support be ranked according to those metrics of all things???

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Stats Jun 27, 2005, 17:51 Chris

And how are points determined? Why by a direct relationship to kills!

As has already been pointed out several times in this thread alone, no, points are determined by many actions *one of which* is kills. So, no, there is no "direct relationship" between kills and points: you could score lots of points without ever making a single kill, to take an extreme counterexample.

Then go read how rankings are done for any of the Unreal Tournament games, for World of Warcraft's honor system (which is far from perfect, since there's no dishonor), or numerous other games (including open source ones). It's not hard. Consider each death event a one-on-one tournament

So your solution to (your imagined problem that) points are only given for kills is to implement a system which only works for kills? The BF2 system rewards players for many actions besides kills; again, I don't see how this system could be integrated with chess-like rankings.

Who's the better player? One who kills 100 newbies in the space of 4 hours and dies 200 times, or one that kills 50 decent players in 2 hours and dies 5 times? Right now there's no scoring difference -- they both get the exact same number of points.

There is no way of knowing who the better player is in the situation you describe because -- in case this hasn't been said before -- rewards in BF2 AREN'T JUST BASED ON KILLS AND DEATHS. Go play Quake 3 if you want such a game.

It would be trivial to adjust the current system to reflect time played, such as using points-per-minute rather than just points. I, for one, am happy they didn't go that route.

24. Re: Stats Jun 27, 2005, 16:44 Tumbler

- the leaderboards are based on points, not kills.

The leader board is determined by total points aquired. It does not represent the average amount of points one gets per game. I think that is the more important stat.

If someone plays this game for 5 hours a day and gets an average of 35 pts per game he'll be way ahead of someone who only plays 1 hour a day and gets 35 pts per game. The skill of the player is the same, so they should be around the same place on the scoreboard.

Unpaid Employee and Fanboy of DICE and anything BF2.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

23. Re: Stats are great.... Jun 27, 2005, 16:12 DDI

Assault has body armor, a one shot kill weapon (M203,etc), and smoke (which people don't use nearly enough). Plus the grenade launcher is decent enough for taking out buggies/light trucks.

22. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2005, 16:10 DDI

Sounds like Batman wants a cookie.

21. Re: Stats Jun 27, 2005, 16:03 Zathrus

This is nothing new

Given that virtually nobody appears to know about that site, I think it can still be classified as "new".

Plus that site doesn't appear to work unless you register as a user. No thanks.

20. Re: Stats Jun 27, 2005, 15:53 Quan

This is nothing new. I have been using this:

http://bf2tracker.com/portal.php

Since the games launch. It shows graphics for medals, and has all the infomation that BFHQ uses.

19. Re: Stats Jun 27, 2005, 15:06 mittens

Points aren't just awarded for kills. Points are awarded for healing, reviving, giving ammo, repairing, being the pilot/driver to someone who gets a kill, and capturing a flag.

In fact, the people who tend to rack up the most points are medics, simply because in a heavy firefight, they run from dead body to dead body in a rush to revive everyone in the area.

18. No subject Jun 27, 2005, 14:59 xXBatmanXx

Zathrus hit the nail on the head.
The link I provided for the DoD stats (it is a rip off of many other stats used) is a calculation of the player you killed (or get killed by) and their respective rank. If I kill a bunch of noobs and get also get killed a lot by those noobs, my score actually goes DOWN!

This is why I would intentionally wait for a higher ranked player to run by me and kill them (sniper) as I know my team will kill a really new player as opposed to letting a really good player run by my sniper spot. If I give myself away, then it really wasn't worth it. (True to form for what real snipers do - wait to kill the higher ranked soldiers)

The problem is the stats are for the masses. Everyone needs to feel like they are accomplishing something. Lame. It is the tired American concept of everyone getting a participation trophy. In my neighborhood, you can stick that participation trophy up your ass. There are 2 kinds of people out there, those who win and those who lose (10 kinds of people if you are into binary). Reward those who play well, don't reward everyone. What is the fun in that? Might as well not even have a ranking system and leave it up to csports.net, since they do a better job than BF2 stats do.

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman

Just say NO to drugs propaganda.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

17. Re: Stats are great.... Jun 27, 2005, 14:53 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

Support has nearly as much infantry fire-power as Assault does. Ditto Medic.

I spend probably 90% of my time as a medic because they are so powerful. Their weapons are as deadly as Assault, plus I have the ability to heal myself as well as heal/revive others. I just don't see a reason to play as Assault personally. Spawn as the occasional Anti-Tank or Engineer when needed, but Medic seems to be the best all around class to me.

16. Re: Stats Jun 27, 2005, 14:38 Zathrus

the leaderboards are based on points, not kills

And how are points determined? Why by a direct relationship to kills! And there's no deduction for deaths (other than suicides I believe) or adjustment for time or skill of the opposing player.

Buy a ranked server, password protect it, log in and have a buddy log in under a bogus ID. Kill him repeatedly. You win. (Yes, this is a trivial case that's easily detectable and defeatable, but there are numerous similar cases that aren't).

Chess rankings work for tournament games with one-on-one win/lose matches; I don't understand how they'd be implemented for a game such as BF2.

Then go read how rankings are done for any of the Unreal Tournament games, for World of Warcraft's honor system (which is far from perfect, since there's no dishonor), or numerous other games (including open source ones). It's not hard. Consider each death event a one-on-one tournament -- no, it's not accurate, but it's "good enough", is likely to average out, and prevents the most gross abuses. And if you adjust the way things work to allow for damage assists and other events (like repair/heal/support points) then it can be a much better model.

If you're an average or below average player, would you really want to never be rewarded as you play?

It's not about not getting rewarded. It's about rankings. If you just want rewards, that's a non-issue. It's once you try to say "player x is better than player y" that you have to consider things like amount of time played, number of deaths, and (most importantly) who you play against.

Who's the better player? One who kills 100 newbies in the space of 4 hours and dies 200 times, or one that kills 50 decent players in 2 hours and dies 5 times? Right now there's no scoring difference -- they both get the exact same number of points.

In short, the rewards system in BF2 is well-implemented.

The rewards system is fine. The ranking system sucks ass.

15. Re: Stats are great.... Jun 27, 2005, 14:33 Kxmode

BUT BF2 has a craptastic stat system.
It does not account for "bad" or "good" players.
It is purely based off of time played and "points".
Someone who plays 100 hours and gets a score of 900 is no differnt from someone who plays 400 hours and gets 900 points.

Well if you can see hours and points, then sort by time and whoever has the most points is the "best" players.

14. Re: Stats Jun 27, 2005, 14:09 Chris

I don't understand the griping in this thread:

- the leaderboards are based on points, not kills.

- Chess rankings work for tournament games with one-on-one win/lose matches; I don't understand how they'd be implemented for a game such as BF2.

- It's true that time played will eventually get a poor player as many points as a good player, but I don't think that's a bad system: If you're an average or below average player, would you really want to never be rewarded as you play? With the current system the return for being a good player is getting rewards quicker, so good players still benefit but all us average players aren't shut out.

In short, the rewards system in BF2 is well-implemented.

13. Re: Stats Jun 27, 2005, 13:55 DDI

SpecOps isn't only meant for C4'ing stuff.. they are light infantry and intended to be played that way.

12. Re: Stats Jun 27, 2005, 13:47 sponge

Doesn't seem to. I spent aw hole map on the aircraft carrier C4'ing stuff, and I had very few points, and a horrible k/d ratio.

11. No subject Jun 27, 2005, 13:46 xXBatmanXx

THE MIGHTY FANBOI TUMBLER FOUND A FLAW IN BF2! Mark your calendars! He fell off of his soapbox.

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman

Just say NO to drugs propaganda.
This comment was edited on Jun 27, 13:46.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: Stats are great.... Jun 27, 2005, 13:46 Zathrus

Why should medics, engineers, support, or special forces be ranked on something that isn't their job?

Except that, at least within the context of BF2, it is their job. It's just not exclusively their job. Engineers aren't that great at infantry combat (except at very close range), but they're really good at vehicular combat since they can repair their own vehicles.

Support has nearly as much infantry fire-power as Assault does. Ditto Medic. Special forces is toned down a bit, but not by much, and their zoom view is second only to sniper in accuracy (and far better for medium distances).

Frankly, I play an engineer a lot and get relatively few repair points. People either don't try to call for repairs or are halfway across the map when they call for them. Rarely will they sit still and wait for repairs to happen if they're simply "nearby". I've repaired commander assets before, but it's a lot easier and faster for a SpecOps to blow them than it is for me to repair them -- and if one is loitering around then they have a massive firepower advantage.

Edit: I definitely think repair/heal/support/destory points should count positively... but it shouldn't be the sole basis for those ranking those classes.
This comment was edited on Jun 27, 13:47.

9. Stats Jun 27, 2005, 13:42 Tumbler

Global score shouldn't be a tally, it should be a rating that constantly adjust depending on how you perform in battle.

I really like the stats and all the info available but the ranking seems flawed. As someone said earlier, it's all about kills/death and racking up points.

I'm not sure what my global score is but I doubt I'll be able to ever catch the leading players without playing A LOT more. I can play for at most 30-90 min at a time and usually 2-3 times a day at max. I hope they revamp the system so that if my skills during those short periods are similar to someone playing all day everyday that we end up on the ranking system close to each other.

And destroying the commander stations should give points as well. (It might already, I haven't tried it.)

Unpaid Employee and Fanboy of DICE and anything BF2.
This comment was edited on Jun 27, 13:43.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

8. Re: Stats are great.... Jun 27, 2005, 13:29 Skoll

More inclusive and you can see that my kill to death and kill per minute ratios are both positive.

A bigger problem is that the leaderboards are all based on kills vs deaths. Why should medics, engineers, support, or special forces be ranked on something that isn't their job?

A game like BF2 should absolutely not reward higher kill to death or per minute ratios across the board. The whole point is to get to a higher level of tactical/strategic teamwork and get away from the deathmatch with vehicles that bf1942 was.

Special Forces should be sneaking behind enemy lines not engaging or being seen by anyone, and demoing the enemy commander assets. An excellent SF would have a very very low k/d ratio in fact he might get killed a lot more than killing (it's a tough job but someone has to do it).

The SF leaderboard should be demo'd assets per minute or per life. The medic leaderboard should be hps healed per life. Etc...

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 13:29.

7. No subject Jun 27, 2005, 12:56 space captain

the number of people working for big name game development studios is rather small compared to the community of able and willing programmers/artists that can do work AT LEAST as good, oftentimes alot better considering the small amount of resources available due to lack of multi-million dollar funding..

its a unique situation, in comparison to many other industries

Go forth, and kill!

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo