Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 2 Demo

As promised, the Battlefield 2 demo is now available for download, offering the chance to sample the military shooter sequel from Digital Illusions (DICE). The demo offers the Gulf of Oman map, 16-player single player, and 16 and 32-player multiplayer support. The 547 MB download has debuted on GameSpot. The demo is now mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, 4players.de (Germany), ActionTrip, Battlefield 2 Files, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games (Romania), Download.com, eXtreme-Players.de (Germany), Filecloud (registration required), FileFront. Filerush (torrent), FileShack (registration required), Fragland.net, FZ.se, GameDaily, Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, Gaming4All (Germany), and Worthplaying.

View
447 Replies. 23 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

387. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2005, 06:59 Hump

Rock Climber, use the Logitech Wingman profiler software to assign the buttons/axis (get the newest version at the Logitech site). Its a bit more of a pain in the ass but it gives far more control over adjusting the stick to your tatstes ie; inverting axis, adjusting the dead zones, sensitivity, etc.

I have a Logitech 2.4 ghz cordless stick and I use the software myself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

386. Re: Where to find tactical players? Jun 12, 2005, 04:40 Istari

Rock Climber and others,

Hmmm - I assumed that joining a clan was the answer. Never been a part of one (in the PC gameworld anyway :>) - any tips on where to go? I have limited time for gameplaying, but would love to focus on tactics while I am doing so.

Thanks for the advice,

Istari

385. Re: rock climber................. Jun 12, 2005, 04:30 Flo

I've found teamwork happening, partially due to the nice system.

The problem is that on most servers I played on, people just wouldnt join squads, therefore the commander couldnt coordinate anything. On a few occasions it did work fine though. That said, I love the game and I can't wait for the retail version. Oh and performance is pretty good for me on my 9800 pro athlon 64 3000+. 5.3 drivers...

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

384. Re: rock climber................. Jun 12, 2005, 02:59 Beamer

I've found teamwork happening, partially due to the nice system.

One map I had a two-person squad with one guy, two of us working together, mostly me specops rushing in and him reviving me when I failed. We alternated who would be commander.

Another game we had a very well organized team of 3 squads and myself as commander dominating the other team, who was commanderless. We were pushing them back to only their ship, and then artillerying them very cheaply yet satisfyingly. A few of our players went over there, one became commander, and it became much more even. In the end our squadleaders stopped listening to me and were just flying/waiting for planes, and the team fell apart.

Good proof that even a little bit of organization helps. If 9 people on a side join squads, and actually pay attention to orders, things happen.

I make a decent commander, I think, but sometimes get held up trying to blow up their artillery and stop sending orders because I get too focused. Still fun.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

383. rock climber................. Jun 12, 2005, 00:17 Fury

I had the same problem.. this is very easy to fix. its not that the joystick is inverted it just doesn’t show you which way you moved the stick when setting up the key.. it just says x-axis and y-axis... clear the left and right settings and then click on the "left or roll left.. cant remember what it says... then push your joystick to the left all the way until you see it has now set both left and right at the same time. I know this is hard to follow but it doesn’t seem to take when you move the joystick to the right.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 00:22.

382. Re: Where to find tactical players? Jun 11, 2005, 23:53 sponge

Heh, yea. Was playing with my clan, there were about 7 of us, with myself as squad leader one round, commander the next. The experience was INCREDIBLE, was very cinematic at times.

We've got a guy who's an awesome pilot, so we had the entire squad in a Black Hawk, circling around one of the beachhead spawns. Told two of the guys to stay back, and take the machineguns, while 3 of us parachuted down, and attempted to cap the flag, shooting all the way down. I get shot and killed, to see our medic loom over me, prep the shock paddles, and shock me, only to see the Black Hawk take down a buggy in the distance. We take the flag, the pilot puts it down in a field, and we repeat the whole thing over again.

I'm psyched for the full game, especially organized clan matches.

381. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2005, 23:14 xXBatmanXx

The helicopters work very much like real helicopters. you have to lean it back to slow down and forward to speed up. one control controls the lift. If you learn how to fly real helicopters in flight sim you would find battlefield 2 helicopters very similar.

Bummer. I was hoping to not use joystick, as I was killer with the keyboard in DC. So looks like I may have to dust of the Ligitech Wingman Interceptor.

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman

Just say NO to drugs propaganda.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

380. Re: Where to find tactical players? Jun 11, 2005, 22:52 MindTrigger

Istari,

Same as every other game online...

Join a clan, and get them into a tournament.

Random outbreaks of teamwork and/or intelligence on public servers is a rare treat. If you want it regularly, join a clan.

---
America, FXXK YEAH!
Coming again, to save the mother fXXking day yeah!

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

379. Where to find tactical players? Jun 11, 2005, 22:32 Istari

I've tried the BF2 demo, and I feel like it's the start of some Dickens novel... "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Playing on random servers where everyone is out for themselves gets old real fast. However, I happened to land on one server where the Squad Leader was actually using VOIP and the teams were using tactics and teamwork. Made it a completely different game - totally sucked in. Then I hit lag and was disconnected. :<

So... how does one go about finding other players who use VOIP and are trying to use real tactics? Any tips for a new BF player? Just dropping in randomly to different servers isn't working.

Istari

378. No subject Jun 11, 2005, 22:16 Midnight

The new squad commands and tactical interface are a huge improvement over the previous BF titles, and should make solo play much more enjoyable. I also like the method of having different versions of each map optimised for different numbers of players. I think I'll defnitely be buying this one.

http://www.davidcsimon.com

http://www.crimsondark.com

377. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2005, 21:36 MindTrigger

I can't fly the aircraft at all. I have a killer logitech joystick (Extreme 3D Pro) with like 500 buttons, and stick twists as it should. Problem is, everything is backwards in the game. I couldn't find a way to UN-invert the joystick controls. Why the hell would inverted controls (all of them, including throttle) be default in any game?

Anyone have a fix for this, or did I miss the check box in the game? I saw the one for the mouse on each tab, but it doesn't fix the joystick.

---
America, FXXK YEAH!

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

376. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2005, 20:44 CR0C0

The helicopters work very much like real helicopters. you have to lean it back to slow down and forward to speed up. one control controls the lift. If you learn how to fly real helicopters in flight sim you would find battlefield 2 helicopters very similar.

375. Re: All this whining... Jun 11, 2005, 20:23 sponge

Yikes, 200 posts later, and I happen to come by and see that a couple of people continued that list from one of my posts. I feel special now

374. Aproaching 400 Jun 11, 2005, 19:09 Prez

Wow! Coming up on 400! It's nice to see the community finally energized about something.

I think I'll wait to try the demo until the game is released. Then I'll decide whether or not to get it. I'll never pre-order again - been burned by too many buggy releases. I'm hoping this one is good; really looking forward to getting my ass shot off by many of you!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

373. No subject Jun 11, 2005, 19:04 xXBatmanXx

I started up a Server to try out vehicles.
Heli's are kind of weird. Anyone successfully land one on the run like you could in DC?

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman

Just say NO to drugs propaganda.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

372. Re: Lets all thank Trauma!! Jun 11, 2005, 18:29 MindTrigger

I finally played it today, had a great time. Sure it has it's problems, but show me a game that doesn't.

Thumbs up from me. Infantry play is way more fun than the other BF games IMO. Cool weapons.

---
America, FXXK YEAH!

--

371. Lets all thank Trauma!! Jun 11, 2005, 17:59  dsmart 

Well, the demo is out. I tried it. Its more of the same, but if you're a fan, thats not a bad thing.

One thing though, it reeks of the Desert Combat mod which the [now closed] Trauma studios did for the original BF1942 game. Just a bit more polished.

I like the demo and its just more polished than the DC mod.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 18:00.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

370. No subject Jun 11, 2005, 17:14 Cynips

Is it just me that use inverted mouse and have the vehicle weapons and turrets non-inverted anyway? If not, does anyone have a workaround/fix for this? Guess I'll have to skip this game otherwise...

Edit: Oh, seems there are separate inversion check for each control setup... oh well!

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 17:35.

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

369. No subject Jun 11, 2005, 17:08 space captain

even if the control config isnt patched by DICE (which it probably will due to the resounding bitching).. someone will most likely make some kind of frontend editor for the .cfg files

i really didnt have any problems re-mapping the controls... other than the fact that every button seems taken - its just a bit of a juggling act

Go forth, and kill!

368. No subject Jun 11, 2005, 17:03 mpratt

Here is a good suggestion that speeds up the menus and gets rid of the 5 splash screens when you start up the demo.

Move all the files in C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 Demo\mods\bf2\Movies

to C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 Demo\mods\bf2\Movies\New Folder\*.*

Then the game will start without the crap flash screens and also the menus will load and play quicker.

447 Replies. 23 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo