Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 2 Demo

As promised, the Battlefield 2 demo is now available for download, offering the chance to sample the military shooter sequel from Digital Illusions (DICE). The demo offers the Gulf of Oman map, 16-player single player, and 16 and 32-player multiplayer support. The 547 MB download has debuted on GameSpot. The demo is now mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, 4players.de (Germany), ActionTrip, Battlefield 2 Files, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games (Romania), Download.com, eXtreme-Players.de (Germany), Filecloud (registration required), FileFront. Filerush (torrent), FileShack (registration required), Fragland.net, FZ.se, GameDaily, Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, Gaming4All (Germany), and Worthplaying.

View
447 Replies. 23 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

347. Crash to desktop Jun 11, 2005, 09:52 cyxxon

Get a crash to desktop right after starting. Let it install the Nvidia drivers for my 6600GT and the updated DX9.0c... uninstalling as I type... Sorry, I really wanted to give this one a try.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

346. Re: All this whining... Jun 11, 2005, 09:42 MyRealName

1. Prey
2. Quake 4
3. Spore
4. Enemy Territory - Quake Wars
5. Anything Bioware.

You don't speak for the community. You have no clue what you're talking about. I was also at E3, so you must've not been looking hard.
6. NeverwinterNights 2
7. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
8. Gothic III
9. A Vampyre Story
10. Alan Wake

11. F.E.A.R.
12. Dreamfall
13. Call Of Duty 2
14. Hitman: Blood Money
and believe or not, I'm also desperately waiting for
15: Tomb Raider: Legend

I can add one or two;

16: UT2007 (soon, perhaps not in a year though?)

If we're including mods in the list (I'll limit them all to just one bullet point, since it's terribly unfair to consoles, and there are too many to list ;p )

17: Countless mods for the above games, including thousands for Oblivion alone, and especially The Dark Mod for D3. And that's without mentioning all the pleasure of editing that goes hand in hand with them.

PC gaming dead? What a ridiculous notion. Yeah, devs are really going to abandon one of the single largest (and fastest growing) tech industries in the world. And I really like what someone said below, that even if the big devs (read: lame devs, usually) did leave the PC market in order to sell their tired crap for console ca$h, then good - it'll open up the scene so real, devoted, talented developers can start to make niche titles for PC again. An interesting view, and I now hope it comes about.

Question: does BF2 offer anything over the predecessor other than better looks?

345. Re: Lefty Relief Jun 11, 2005, 09:21 subx

Bit of further info on key bindings...

\Documents And Settings\*username*\My Docments\Battlefield 2 Demo\Profiles\

Open Global.com to find out which folder you are using (will probably be 0001).

Open Controls.con in that folder and delete the lines containing keys you haven't been able to bind. Most of the ones that are stopping you binding things properly are in the section labelled "defaultGameControlMap" but some are elsewhere in the file (e.g. X is bound in the boat section, for flares! :))

Similarly, you should hopefully be able to edit the Video.con file to set resolutions other than those offered in the game.

I see that there's already a time limit work around too

Got most of this info from the Planet Battlefield forum, seems like a good resource.

344. Re: GOD DAMN IT ! Jun 11, 2005, 09:05 Prez

So far my two sata disks my motherboard and my 6800gt are all confirmed dead.

Man, that just sucks.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 09:05.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

343. GF4ti fix Jun 11, 2005, 08:52 Corn Wizard

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbattlefield/topic.asp?fid=7419&tid=1669738&p=1

this almost works for my 4600 - you can get into the menus... maybe somebody round here can figure out the rest...

342. Lefty Relief Jun 11, 2005, 08:44 Term

Some lefties in here complained about the impossibility to remap certain keys, after digging into that matter here's what I did:

- Search for the "Battlefield 2 Demo" folder deep in your "Documents and Settings" (don't know the exact location, for I use a german version of XP)

- Look for the "Controls.con" in your current profile and open it with a text editor

- Look for the "defaultGameControlMap" and "defaultPlayerInputControlMap" in the file, these contain the default key mappings invisible from inside the game menu

- Remap the according keys or simply delete the entries, now you're ready to map these keys to whatever you like ingame

On another note, did anyone fiddle around yet with the "ServerSettings.con" in the same folder? The only thing I've been able to change that far is the number of rounds per map. The file contains all the info like timelimit, maxplayers and such, but I guess Dice was smart enough to have these values hardcoded into the demo as well. Any workaround for extended offline play would be much appreciated, though.

341. Re: All this whining... Jun 11, 2005, 08:22 vacs

1. Prey
2. Quake 4
3. Spore
5. Anything Bioware.

You don't speak for the community. You have no clue what you're talking about. I was also at E3, so you must've not been looking hard.
6. NeverwinterNights 2
8. Gothic III
9. A Vampyre Story
10. Alan Wake

11. F.E.A.R.
12. Dreamfall
13. Call Of Duty 2
14. Hitman: Blood Money
and believe or not, I'm also desperately waiting for
15: Tomb Raider: Legend

340. Re: GOD DAMN IT ! Jun 11, 2005, 07:54 Duc

God hates me, my copy of san andreas arrived on thursday morning, but by the time I got back from work something (a power surge maybe, we had lightning that day) had fried my computer. So far my two sata disks my motherboard and my 6800gt are all confirmed dead. Don't know about my processor and ram havent quite had the energy to test them in another set up.
No san andreas, no BF2 demo.... ARGH.

339. Re: All this whining... Jun 11, 2005, 07:53 cyxxon

1. Prey
2. Quake 4
3. Spore
5. Anything Bioware.

6. NeverwinterNights 2
8. Gothic III
9. A Vampyre Story
10. Alan Wake

Other people already responded with some games as well... no, PC gaming is not dead, just different.

338. Re: GOD DAMN IT ! Jun 11, 2005, 07:46 Krovven

Is this just a souped up version of BF1942???

Pretty much.

Got home from seeing Mr & Mrs Smith (Funny movie) and figured I'd sit down and give BF2 a serious whirl.

I had forgotten how difficult it is to get people to work together. Everyone does their own thing 90% of the time. Commanders help, but not much if people dont listen to them.
Teamkillers are as prevalent as always, unfortunately. Never thought I'd say this but there are far more idiots playing Battlefield-<insert title> than CSS.

Overall, I like the game...but I already own BF1942 and BFV. Both of which have good modern warfare mods, that I don't play. I find myself asking...why would I pay for BF2?

The game does look very pretty at times, like when a jet or chopper flies 20 feet over your head, filling your speakers with a huge rumble as the shadow passes by. Other times, mostly when you are flying, like the draw distance is so short compared to BF1942. You might be sitting in the AA Missle, getting lock, have tone...tone lost because the jet flew beyond the draw distance.

If you already own BF1942 or BFV and are happy playing Desert Combat or Point of Existence and are sitting on the fence as to whether to get BF2 or not...I wouldn't bother buying BF2. At least give it a few months, buy it used or after they have patched it some to give it more polish.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com
This comment was edited on Jun 11, 07:50.

337. No subject Jun 11, 2005, 07:36 Loboew

I downloaded last nite and got it around 6:00 and played the thing until 12:00,it's ablast best Battlefield they have made.
I did'nt notice any problem's during play,only visual problem I noticed was with the shadow's being very blocky.I did run it at 1280X960 and setting options to medium ran well.I did try high settings but did'nt play smooth,so had to back it down.
Wish everyone would not knock the develpers/or game until they play it if you have a older video card you will want to upgrade as this game would look almost as good as Halflife,if the water was reflective like Halflife/FarCry it would be there.They did a great job in my opion,FUN AS HELL.
Guns SOund Great,Vusials Great,Models look Great,Hell it's all Good.Great job Dice.Forgot to say this damn thing sounds awesome if you have the Audigy sound card:)
Sounds like Im a big fan boy,but to me they did a good job
and this is the most fun I have had in a game in along time.
My spec's

Athlon 64 3400
1gb Ram
ATi Radeon 9800 pro 128
Audigy 2 soundcardhttp://www.bluesnews.com/images/emoticons/wink.gif

336. No subject Jun 11, 2005, 06:30 Ledge

ROFLMFAO @ Post 277

335. No subject Jun 11, 2005, 06:22 Ledge

ok, i got a ti4600 card and.... no dice game not loading.

looks like upgrade time. ah well

334. Re: GOD DAMN IT ! Jun 11, 2005, 05:52 TangledThorns

Strange, I could chose 1280x960, not 1280x1024 though, which is my LCD's native resolution.

Thats the same bullshit resolution from BF1942, wtf? Has me worried about the netcode now. Is this just a souped up version of BF1942???

333. So.. I guess this is it.. Jun 11, 2005, 05:41 Viranth

Once I got the demo last night (which took forever) I loaded it up and went straight for a multiplayer server. Man it sucked ass, I got killed from places I couldn't see, people were camp killing, the controls were fucked, had to remap basically all keys and tweak the controls. NO third person while on foot sucked too, now I don't know if people can see me or not. So when I went to bed last night I wasn't really convinced.

Anyways, I decided to load up a singleplayer today, and I played for a good hour or so. This game is awesome, the teamplay I saw was just unbelievable, the graphics are great and it runs fine on my computer (x800, 3400+, 1gb ram) but it stutters a little when I respawn, and online it has this weird lag I can't explain, must be something wrong with the netcode or something.

But all in all, this game is great, thank god it's weekend and I have nothing planned.

332. Crap intro screens Jun 11, 2005, 05:32 BATTLE4MY

Open \Battlefield 2 Demo\mods\bf2\Movies and cut and paste all the movies out of there except menu.bik and menu_loggedin.bik. Just put them in some created sub directory.

331. No subject Jun 11, 2005, 05:30 space captain

yeh man - this game is bad as fuck.. its got a few problems, but i cant remember the last time a game didnt

im ready for the VOIP and servers where people are actually concentrating on tactics instead of running around like idiots

Go forth, and kill!

330. I can't even download it. Jun 11, 2005, 05:25 Zephalephelah

I've tried at every non-register mirror & it gets upto 200-something & then either times out or tries to set up with only 200-something & then does nothing because the content isn't all there.

Then there's 3DGamers. Used to be a great site. Now it's a Fileplanet clone. FUCK 3DGamers!!!!!

329. Disable intros? Jun 11, 2005, 05:25 Ant

Does anyone know how to disable the annoying cutscenes for NVIDIA, EA, DICE, etc.? I don't want to wait forever to play.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

328. Played it!! Jun 11, 2005, 05:05 Ant

Woah, BF2 demo is awesome! At first I was disappointed because the game was so choppy even though I had decent pings. I lowered graphic settings like lighting. Now, it is playable at 1152x864 resolution, v5.2 Catalyst driver, and everything else at maximum.

I love the special effects. I love when my visual goes BLURRY when I get hit by artillery or whatever. I love being the medic guy like in Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer. Giving people med kits to use and reviving injured players get me points! Capturing flags/areas WITH buddies rock (see the attached screen shot -- see that chopper too?). Listening to poeple with voice communication (rad) -- I wished I could talk clearly!! Being on the huge aircraft. Wow. Seeing the realistic ocean. Driving through the city reminded me of videos from news and movies (e.g., Black Hawk Down).

Attached two screen shots of me playing! I am SO buying this game on the week of 22nd. I think I will sell BF:V, but might keep BF1942 for its Forgotten Hope mod (still need WWII theme!).

The game borrows cool elements from Natural Selection mod (commander, communication, etc.), Return to Castle Wolfenstein/Enemy Territory, Day of Defeat, etc. Running/Sprint is limited (you get tired after a while).

The bad parts: Long loading times. Configuring keys SUCK!! Too many introductions that can't be skipped.

Goodbye Desert Combat and Point of Existence mods! I can't wait to play more demo this weekend before my long summer of crunch times at work starts. Of course, I need to crank up my speakers and subwoofer. Muhaha!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

447 Replies. 23 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo