Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We went on our hunt for an air conditioner yesterday... It's embarrassing to be part of the unthinking herd reacting too late to a situation. This is exactly the feeling I got as we picked over the meager leftovers that were left by some savage mob of more timely shoppers inspired by the recent heat wave. The big disappointment was our first stop, which was to Sears, a place that had provided us with some very smooth shopping experiences in the past. We waited over 20 minutes in the merchandise pick-up area before we were informed that the unit we had been sold was not actually in stock... but even worse, when they learned this, they went off to tell our salesperson, rather than us, about the problem. This was one of several uncharacteristic glitches there, leading to suspicions that their recent change in ownership is starting to bear rotten fruit. I can only hope I am wrong about that, seeing how much we used to like that place.

On the bright side, I've discovered that the recent rearrangement of the layout in my office places the old air conditioner (which only turns out to be, as Miracle Max would out it, mostly dead) pointed right at the back of my head. It's been some time since this small older unit has had the horsepower too cool this office, but it is pretty effective when blowing directly on my neck, so at least I have a fall-back plan for enduring the heat wave besides just melting.

R.I.P.: Leslie Smith, 87, a creator of popular Matchbox miniature automobiles (thanks LoonyBomber) and Actress Anne Bancroft dies.

Waiter, there's a Link in my soup! Thanks Mike Martinez, Ant, and EvilToast.
Play Time: 80s Lyrics Quiz.
Stories of the Day: Man With Chain Saw, Sword Is Let Into U.S. Thanks Jeff.
U.S. inmates finally take over the asylum.
Man's remains go missing in mail. Thanks Devster.
Science! Another Natural Threat to Florida Feral Hogs.
Chilli bombs to combat elephants.
Wind farms pose low risk to birds.
Auction of the Day: Rare Map Identifying 'America' on Auction.
Media of the Day: Keltech Strikes Back
Follow-ups: Chinese gamer sentenced to life. Thanks Luka.
Bush Aide Softened Greenhouse Gas Links to Global Warming (registration required).

View
92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

92. Re: Okay, this fucking SUCKS Jun 10, 2005, 08:56 nin

A...a WING??? Ya better name that whole damn Hall after me!

Ok, ok...what about...a courtyard? Green grass, a couple of statues, maybe a tree?

If you look at your reflection, is that all you want to be? http://www.nin.com

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

91. Re: Okay, this fucking SUCKS Jun 10, 2005, 01:23 Creston

A...a WING??? Ya better name that whole damn Hall after me!

Actually, I've been spending most of my loot on better armor, to try to at least SURVIVE in the desert. I probably only have 10 plat left or so. Nice armor you can collect in the desert though, very nice.

Creston

90. Re: 80s Jun 9, 2005, 12:52 wasrad

bbbbbbbbooooooooooo

hiss ihhss hiss

89. Re: Okay, this fucking SUCKS Jun 9, 2005, 12:32 nin

Don't hold back Creston. Let us know how you really feel

YA! And be sure and donate your plat to the guild before ya leave, ok? (We'll name a wing of the guild hall in your honor!)

88. Re: Okay, this fucking SUCKS Jun 9, 2005, 12:26 Gandhi

Fuck them. They can shove their expansion packs up their asses too.

Don't hold back Creston. Let us know how you really feel

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

87. Re: Okay, this fucking SUCKS Jun 9, 2005, 11:54 Creston

infusion of armor now is no longer once piece per time you do it, no, the guy now does all five at the same time, but the whole infusion thing has been nerfed.
I'm not sure I know what you're talking about here.

It's a quest later in the game. An armorer in the Iron Mines of Moladune can infuse your armor to be able to fight the Mursaat (they have a skill, Spectral Agony, which is basically death if you're not infused).

Let's just say that he makes your armor +10, in D&D terms.

The bad thing was, he would only do one piece of armor at a time, so if you wanted all five your pieces infused (it apparently helps against normal attacks too), you'd have to do the mission five times.

Now, that they've removed that is fine by me. Having to do an apparently aggravatingly hard mission five times is not exactly what this game was supposed to be about.
On the other hand, they've lessened the effect of the armor by 200%. the mursaat skill, after infusion, would do -3/s damage, now it does -9/s

They call that "slightly less powerful", I call that a fucking nerf.

And, ofcourse, everyone who had their armor infused BEFORE this patch, remains at the previous level.
Now, if that isn't a nerf, I don't know what is.

Bah, I'm finishing the storyline, and then the game gets uninstalled. Arena net is determined to keep helping the PvP whiners who complain that they have to do so much work to their "Ultimate" pvp build ready, and they piss on the PvE players while doing so.
Fuck them. They can shove their expansion packs up their asses too.

Creston

Edit : Oh, and as for the rune trader? A superior vigor still costs 100K. But my major rune of Curses, which I've been trying to sell for 2000, is worth exactly 109 gold. You can buy one now for 400 gold. A MAJOR freaking rune.

AARI)HE)E* TYE)TY $E)TT

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 11:55.

86. Thursday Update? Jun 9, 2005, 11:51 xXBatmanXx

Anyone?
Bueller?
Bueller?
Bueller?
Anyone?

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman

Just say NO to drugs propaganda.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

85. Re: 80s Jun 9, 2005, 11:18 Warhawk

Heh is that a quote from Halsy?

Not quite, but probably not too far off, either.

Sad part is the quote is a bit long - I need more than 255 characters for the sig!!! (have to edit the last couple words in....)

*** Warhawk ***

Through the vicissitudes of wholly gratuitous genetic accidents, I was visited with extremely high intelligence. I was further blessed - or burdened, as it were - with certain physical traits that would suggest, shall we say, "good breeding".

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 11:19.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

84. Re: 80s Jun 9, 2005, 10:49 Tango

Actually, the new single popped into my head at 2 this morning, so I guess that's a good sign.

Yeah I didn't like it on my first run through, but after several entire listen-throughs I really like it. Which, having subsequently read a couple of reviews to see what others think, is not a unique position. Some great tunes therein

83. Re: 80s Jun 9, 2005, 10:40 nin

Hmm, I would've thought that 2 & 4 would've been the hardest (2 because the band & song aren't one of the most well known, and 4 because the given lyric is so short).

4 I guessed right at (not a big PJ fan), and 2 was off an album I played all the time...

82. Re: 80s Jun 9, 2005, 10:37 Pedle Zelnip

I missed 9, 10 and 12...

Hmm, I would've thought that 2 & 4 would've been the hardest (2 because the band & song aren't one of the most well known, and 4 because the given lyric is so short).

PZ
------------
Reading: Something....
This comment was edited on Jun 9, 10:38.

PZ
------------

81. Re: 80s Jun 9, 2005, 10:24 nin

I missed 9, 10 and 12...

9 was on the tip of my brain, and 10 I should have gotten...

80. Re: 80s Jun 9, 2005, 10:08 Pedle Zelnip

So who's setting up the 90's quiz?

Got bored, so here's a first draft (starting with the obvious, and then getting a bit harder). Many of them have the song title in the hidden parts.

1) here we are now .... ....
2) into the .... again, same old .... it was back then, so I made a big ...., try to see it once my way
3) sleep with .... .... open, gripping your .... ....
4) ..... spoke in class today
5) ..... hurts, sometimes ..... cries
6) I did it all for the ...., the ....
7) 'Cause you know where I'll be found, ..... I .... ....
8) .... .... .... downtown, is where I drew some blood
9) .... .... ...., won't you come, and wash away the rain
10) Despite all my ...., I am still just a .... in a ....
11) 'Cause maybe, you're gonna be the one that .... ...., and afer all, you're my ....
12) I can see, I can see, I'm .... ....

Answers below in secret text:

Answers are followed by the artist and song name:

1) imitate us (Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit)
2) flood trip mistake (Alice in Chains, Would)
3) one eye pillow tight (Metallica, Enter Sandman)
4) Jeremy (Pearl Jam, Jeremy)
5) everybody (REM, Everybody Hurts)
6) nookie, nookie (Limp Bizkit, Nookie)
7) when come around (Green Day, When I Come Around)
8) under the bridge (Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Under The Bridge)
9) Black hole sun (Soundgarden, Black Hole Sun)
10) rage rat cage (Smashing Pumpkins, Bullet With Butterfly Wings)
11) saves me wonderwall (Oasis, Wonderwall)
12) going blind (Korn, Blind)

PZ
------------

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 10:10.

PZ
------------

79. Re: 80s Jun 9, 2005, 10:03 Malakai

edit:

Increased reward for quest "The Villainy of Galrath" from 500 XP to 4000 XP.

Holy shit! Where is THAT quest?!

I've got that quest, it's a bit of a bugger really. It's very hard and i've yet to find actually where this guy is, although if i remember correctly you can get the quest from Lion's Arch from Firstwatch Sergio. He does the skills. If you dont know where Lion's Arch is, it's roughly in the middle of the Gates of Kryta and D'Alessio Seabord missions. It's the major city over the mountains in the grasslands.

78. Re: 80s Jun 9, 2005, 09:19 nin

I'm looking at those GW changes:

( http://guildwars.com/news/gameupdates.html )

Fixed Henchmen AI to prevent Henchmen from running off after a party respawn.

Thank GOD!!!

edit:
Increased reward for quest "The Villainy of Galrath" from 500 XP to 4000 XP.

Holy shit! Where is THAT quest?!

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 09:22.

77. Re: 80s Jun 9, 2005, 09:03 nin

Edit: Any of our music people here like the new Coldplay?

I've got it, but it's in a big pile of music I'm hoping to get to this weekend. All I've heard is the first single, which isn't too bad...

Actually, the new single popped into my head at 2 this morning, so I guess that's a good sign.

BTW, for any Coldplay fans that don't have it: Best Bi has the live cd/dvd set for $9.99 this week, which is about half price.

Any UNKLE fans? I got their Edit Music For A Film in the mail last week, and it's pretty fun...

76. Re: 80s Jun 9, 2005, 09:02 Pedle Zelnip

I know others have done this, but I haven't looked at their answers yet:
1) It's a kind of ...
2) Under ..., Under ...., ....
3) You got ... on your face, you big ...., kicking your ... all over the place
4) Dining at the ..., we'll meet at ....
5) ...., Ahhaaa! You saved .... of us!
6) We, are the ..., my friends, and we'll keep on ... to the end.
7) I'm the .... ...., I'm the .... ..., incredible how you can, see right .... me
8) Somehow, I have to make this final ....., now!
9) Because I'm a good, old fashioned .... ...
10) Here we are, born to be kings, we're the .... of the .....

1) magic
2) pressure, pressure
3) mud, disgrace, can
4) ????
5) ????
6) champions, fighting
7) ????
8) ????
9) lover boy
10) ???? (can't remember the lyrics, but isn't this the song from Highlander?)

Which means I got 50%, which was better than the 37 I got on the 80's quiz. I'm the same as someone else mentioned on here, recognized most of the songs, but couldn't come up with the exact words -- more of a melody than a lyric person.

So who's setting up the 90's quiz?

PZ
------------
This comment was edited on Jun 9, 09:19.

PZ
------------

75. Sidenote about Matchbox... Jun 9, 2005, 07:59 The Half Elf

Sad to see the gentlemen go. I can fondly remember the days of having my mom paint my first initial on the bottom of Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars with fingernail polish in 1980. *sigh* the days of being a latchkey kid, and simpler times. Scarey ain't it? I was 5 and in Kindergarten and my sister was 6 and we'd walk to and from school every day. Then again this was Southern California as well.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

74. Re: No subject Jun 9, 2005, 07:55 The Half Elf

Actually I'd buy a copy as well.

What about doing like a Digital e-book or something like that? Ya know... something you could write while playing prison guard in the backyard

I use to let my dog out and go with him outside to do his buisness and throw the tennis ball, without a leash, problem was anyone who was jogging by, he'd run over to them and keep jogging with them like they were his new best friend. Kinda sad when ya got this great big dog with a big huge bark, that can be diffused with a tennis ball, piece of cheese, or his ears being rubbed.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

73. Re: No subject Jun 9, 2005, 07:35  Blue 

Have you thought of doing a tell all book?

Actually, if there's a tell-all book to write, it's about working for MTV/MTV Networks through the 80s... trouble is, a lot of the behavior that makes the story worth telling would make it difficult to recall details to tell them with.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo