Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF2 Demo Exclusive?

Battlefield Nation has word from a video interview with producer Scott Evans saying the Battlefield 2 demo, planned for release this Friday (story) will have an as-yet undefined period of exclusivity on GameSpot's GameCenter service: "Yeah, you guys are gonna have an exclusive period on the demo where you have to go to GameCenter to get it." These exclusives are sometimes actually in essence just premieres.

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

71. BF2 minimum requirements Jun 10, 2005, 08:45 Lukiopimp

Win2k users look out! On the german website "Gamestar" there were posted the first specs on minimum requiremnts for BF2:

http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc-spiele/action/26016/

Here a simple translation:

Minimum:

* CPU: 1,7 GHz
* RAM: 512 MByte
* Grafikkarte: Nvidia GeForce FX 5700, ATI Radeon 8500 oder ATI Radeon 9500 mit 128 MByte RAM (Achtung: Geforce 4 wird nicht unterstützt!)

Recommended:

* CPU: 2,4 GHz
* RAM: 1 GByte
* Grafikkarte mit 256 MByte RAM

Also Windows 2000 users will be unhappy to hear that Windows 2000 will not be supported. Developer EA only offers support for Windos XP. Stability under Windows 2000 is not guaranteed. For multiplayer games a broadband connection is required.A more detailed technical review will be available in the next issue of Gamestar.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Not exclusive. Hooray! Jun 9, 2005, 15:31 JHMirage

As Blue predicted, it's not exclusive... just a "premiere" for GameSpot.

EA confirmed today that it is planning to release a sample of Digital Illusions CE's forthcoming modern-combat shooter "very soon." When the Battlefield 2 demo is released, it will make its world premiere on GameSpot, and will be initially available not only to GameSpot registered users but also to unregistered visitors as well.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/09/news_6127191.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Computer over?
Virus = very yes?
That's not a good prize!

69. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2005, 22:07 MindTrigger

I'm not joining them. I'm waiting for the demo to be widely available. I have no plans to join Gamespot as I am already a Fileplanet member.

---
America, FXXK YEAH!
Coming again, to save the mother fXXking day yeah!

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

68. No subject Jun 8, 2005, 18:24 space captain

so if you cant beat em, join em??

And I tell you that you are the problem
Which is why you can't see it no more
The strength of us all could demolish the wall
But you chose to walk through the door
Living a life of comprimise
What you're supporting is what you despised
Was all that you said just a useful disguise?
Or was it all just little white lies?
Little white lies
To help you survive

-subhumans

Go forth, and kill!

67. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2005, 17:56 MindTrigger

Slippery Slope?

Welcome to the United States of Money Mongering Greed! We are ROME people, and we will fall. Having said that, I LOVE my country, but I don't agree with the path we have chosen.

See, I didn't really need to spend $50,000 on my Audi S4, but I love 300-400hp, all wheel drive, 6 speed, luxury sport vehicles. No doubt some of you would view this as a "waste of money" (like I care) I also love quick and easy file downloading.

Sometimes it's just FASTER to go to a well organized site that has fat bandwidth, and take two minutes to get a download rolling. I know all the ways to get files without paying including IRC, bit torrent, underground FTPs, etc. I use these when I need something important (other than games). As for game demos, videos, mods, I don't mind paying fileplanet to make it fast for me.

Every time one of these exclusives comes up, you all start whining about "slippery slopes" and getting ripped off. As if the world owes you free and easy downloads or something.

Oh, and to the tools out there who use this stupid notion: "I already pay for my internet connection"..

SO? Does your internet provider pay for the bandwidth of other sites and services you use? Do they pay for hardware used at these services? What about the employees? Just because you have access to the internet doesn't mean everything else should be free. Get a clue.

The fact is, you can still get these files 100% free, AFTER the premiers are over. I don't have a membership at this particular service, and I'm not getting one. So shut up and wait for it. For christ sakes, the whole game comes out in what 9 days or something?

Lastly, we aren't talking about Patches here. I use fileplanet for demos, videos, mods and stuff like that. When was the last time you bought a game that you had to go to a 3rd party to get patches? I have shitloads of games on my computer and I get the patches directly from the companies that made them. Demos aren't patches. No one owes you a free demo.

---
America, FXXK YEAH!
Coming again, to save the mother fXXking day yeah!

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

66. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2005, 17:44 Tangerinething

Space Captain: sorry, what I meant was virtually nothing that people think is public domain really is. People think that if it's free and public, it's public domain and you can do what you like with it. In fact nothing is public domain unless the author specifically says it is when he releases - if you say nothing, it remains your IP and you have the legal right to stop anyone from hosting it and take action against them if they continue.

I like the dude who wouldn't even credit Gamespot with upping their review score for the exclusive, going all the way to the much more dastardly paying of money. I promise you neither is the case - when Gamespot gives its unfair score, it will be entirely down to incompetence.

65. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2005, 17:01 Creston

Well, you cheap bastards can whine about fileplanet all you want, but I actually enjoy not having to hunt down files, sign up for 50,000 websites just to get files, downloading from sites with bandwidth throttled down to modem speeds, etc.

You know, I have downloaded probably several hundred gigs worth of demos, patches, whatever kind of free content over the years. I think, at MOST, I have ever had to look for about five minutes to find a server that's not full, and that didn't have decent download speed.

I get my WoW patches hassle free

Man, that is just great. You pay a little extra to get your patches for a game that you've already paid 50 bucks for, AND are paying 15 bucks a month for, completely hassle free.

If it's such a hassle to get patches for a game that you're paying out your ass for, shouldn't you be complaining at Blizzard for this?

Hey, I can see forking over some money for use of bandwith and for getting max speed downloads etc, (it still amazes me that so many sites just offer up downloads for free) but I love how people who have such an account bleat like they're sitting on the Internet's holy grail, and pretend that the rest of us are grubbing in the dirt.

I get my content just as easily as you do. You're really not in any way superior to me. *shrug*

As for the exclusivity deal, it's just stupid, but they know that all gamers, like good little monkeys, will buy the game anyways.
If they told you you could only have the demo if you fisted yourself, you'd either :
A) Fist yourself
B) Swear to never buy this game, only to fork over your money as soon as it was available.
Admit it.

None of you is going to let this game lie because of this exclusivity bullshit, and yet doing that is really the ONLY way to ever get a publisher to notice. By making it be known with your wallet.

In the end, it's not really worth getting all that antagonized over. I'm sure everyone will be playing BF2 by Saturday.

Creston

64. No subject Jun 8, 2005, 16:49 xXBatmanXx

Here's the thing.
The game comes out this month, don't pay for a damn thing until you pay for the game.

Bats

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman

Just say NO to drugs propaganda.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

63. No subject Jun 8, 2005, 16:36 space captain

X|X| X|X|X| X|X|X|X| X|X|X|X|;P;P ;P;P;P;P;P;P;P; P;P;P ;P;P:o :o:o :o:o:o :o:o:o:o :o:o:o:o:o:o:D:D: D:D: D:D:D:D:D: D:D:D :D:D:):) :):):):) :):) :):): ):)

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 16:37.

Go forth, and kill!

62. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2005, 16:30 MyRealName

There are just some people that don't understand the concept of a slippery slope. Though, a nice entry can be found on wikipedia.org if one can be so arsed.

Hint: We're not just talking about 'a few dollars for a service' here...

61. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2005, 16:18 MMORPGHoD

:)I'm:)already:)paying:)for:)bandwidth. :)It's:)called:)an:)Internet:)Service:)Provider and it is already fast. :| I'm :| also :| paying 15 ;) dollars a month ;) to ;) play ;) world ;) of ;) warcraft. Are :P you :x saying :o I :B need :^) to be paying :( 22 :( dollars :( a :( month :& to be able to download :> WoW ;) patches :] in :} 20 :p minutes :/ instead :D of 20 :x hours?

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 16:29.

60. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2005, 16:01 HellSlayer

Hmm i dont have time to look for every file:( Im too busy making money with my own business:) Lets see... so you guys dont want us to have early rights to a file but u arent willing to backup the servers that pay for bandwidth either? Im a realiest as well and I think the servers should look out for their paying customers over the leechers. Cant post anymore so people that have time back me up here:) Btw dont forget about Xfire guys:) You will be able to leech it from them:)

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 16:06.

o0

59. No subject Jun 8, 2005, 15:54 space captain

"Make New Enemies. 21st Century Style"
- BF2 advert

haha! Thats very, very clever. Good job, ad dudes.

Go forth, and kill!

58. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2005, 15:28 mbmonk

I have to check 3 sites at most to find a file. Normally just one. But if it makes you feel better to bust on people and call them cheap then it's your prerogative. Searching for files takes some common sense.

And keep paying for files that are out there for free, "realist". They love you for it. As long as you feel it rationalizes your purchase. I guess that is all that matters.

A "deal" is a just state of mind.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 15:29.

57. Re: No subjec Jun 8, 2005, 15:12 HellSlayer

your missing it:) Im paying for a service:) I want to be able to d/l at fast rates and not wait. If you are not willing to pay for faster service then you need to wait. Its that simple. Not rocket science here people!:) I dont buy a demo:) I guess some people might just buy this month just for the demo but i do not think thats many people. The demos,betas and all that other crap is just an added bonus for people like me.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 15:16.

o0

56. Re: No subjec Jun 8, 2005, 15:04 MMORPGHoD

If people are willing to pay 7 bucks a month for patches to a game that already costs 15 bucks a month to play, then companies should just get it over with and start charging 10 bucks to download their demo or beta.

55. No subject Jun 8, 2005, 14:34 CrimsonPaw

What I find funny is that this "GameCenter" is still a beta program that GS is testing out. So I get to try your beta software for a price, but once you get all the bugs out it'll be free? It just sucks that I want to play this game more than anything right now. Oh well, all I can say is "dat is whack yo".

~~Crim~~

54. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2005, 14:01 Hornet303

I dont claim to understand why all these things have exclusives. One concern that I know the publishers face is the pure networking sides of things. Fileplanet has proved to be pretty robust in times of extreamly high demand. But it took them a while to get there. I wonder how Gamespot will do. As many people have commented, gamecenter has had few exclusives and not many at all are big big named games. BF2, whether you want it or not, is probably the big PC game of the year so far. Even if it sucks, they have managed to create enough hype to sell many many copies. This exclusive is a big deal, but I wonder if it will break Gamespot. Being a network manager myself, I know you can run "worst case scenarios" and you can test your equipment to the best you can, but nothing can subsitute gigantic files in extreamly high demand.

Anyway, Im an Xfire memeber, and I hope what they say is true. I know the install base of Xfire is huge so if enough people download and seed, the file can be downloaded for me while Im at work.

53. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2005, 13:32 tunis5000

If there wasn't exclusivity on the demo no one would get to play it until Friday.

Bullshit, with numerous sites hosting it, bittorrent, and usenet, a lot of people could have it pretty quickly...
This comment was edited on Jun 8, 13:33.

-----------------------------------------------
I like pie.

52. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2005, 13:18 Skookum

Xfire
Xfire
Xfire
Xfire
Xfire
Xfire

Ahem. Is this thing on?
I believe Xfire has the demo. No delay. As soon as it's released. For free. Unless they're lying.

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo