Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Battlegrounds Launch

The Blizzard Entertainment Press Release announces the launch of the new PvP Battlegrounds for World of Warcraft, their MMORPG. Word is: "World of Warcraft’s Battlegrounds are PvP-enabled zones where players compete against each other to achieve victory, Honor points, and valuable in-game rewards. Each Battleground has different goals and gameplay styles, providing an addictively engaging experience for participants. The two initial Battlegrounds now available to the public are Alterac Valley, a high-end zone designed for large groups of experienced players, and Warsong Gulch, a more casual zone designed for all players level 21 and up." The patch notes can be found in this forum thread, and the patch is mirrored on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: CTF Jun 8, 2005, 12:04 Xii

Battlegrounds remained closed for a large part of the first day on Medivh. From what I've heard this is due to a lack of horde... Join Medivh and make a Horde, please!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: CTF Jun 8, 2005, 10:27 Frijoles

but I think it's funny that Blizzard told me and others on all our concerns (especially with the honor system) that "Battlegrounds will fix it". I was just curious if it did.

I was in Southshore last night on my way to Chillwind Camp (PvE server). There were a total of 24 alliance people in the zone (ss). I didn't see anyone on the channels asking for a raid, or anything else PvP related. So for last night, yeah, I'd say it fixed it. Everyone I know was in the battlegrounds.

I played CTF last night. It was a hell of a lot of fun. Very disorganized at first, but eventually our team won (game took about 1.5 hours). Towards the end, the Horde were also becoming very organized. I have mostly green items (I'm level 59) with a few blues. I've never seen an epic item drop. Equipment didn't matter. What mattered was if you ran in to the flag room alone (it was a quick death).

As for why is it instanced, probably to keep the lag down, keep the player count down, and make sure the teams are even. If it's just in a regular outdoor area, I suspect it would turn in to a TM situation where one side dominates the other. Oh, took me about 20 minutes to get in to the instance. I was up in Plaguelands doing some quests while I waited (I was in a group with a guildmate, who hit the 'enter as a group' button). Not great, but not bad.

I agree, CTF isn't exactly Warcraft-like, but I don't care. I had a lot of fun doing it. You're not required to go there, so if you don't think it fits in Warcraft, don't go. (The buffs aren't very Warcraft like either.. I kept hoping to find one that said, "Quad-Damage").

All-in-all, I had a lot of fun last night. I don't usually group with people or do the PvP thing, but I did last night and it was a great. I'm sure many other people felt the same way. And yeah, so far it has removed people from TM. That's definitely a good thing.

Edit: typos

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 10:28.

32. Re: CTF Jun 8, 2005, 09:33 Geese

You don't bother to help other people if they're getting attacked by opposite faction because other than the new honor system points, there's absolutely no incentive.

While there may not be a tangible incentive in the form of XP or cash, there is the satisfaction of interacting and helping out another faction member. Granted, that satisfaction will vary among players, but I quite enjoy it. I play on a PvE server, so I don't have to worry about the stealth ganking of arriving wind-rider passengers, but I can engage in PvP at my leisure. I don't really mind that I dont get an XP bonus for healing someone or a bonus when someone uses the bandages that I sold. Some of us just enjoy hearing "thanks, that worg almost killed me!" Who is the true Paladin, the one who heals for XP, or the one who heals (or even sacrifices himself) to simply help his fellow man?

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio!
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

31. Re: CTF Jun 8, 2005, 05:19 Cutedge

Regardless, I do wonder about your comments about the lack of interaction among players in WoW. How many other MMORPG's have you played?

I've played EQ briefly, a little bit of EQ2 on my brother's account, SWG, and two days of MxO. I suppose I base my opinion on my time playing SWG, where there is an actual community due to the "forced" interaction between people. People were likely to talk to each other while waiting for shuttles or while in a cantina and such. I suppose that it's there on WoW as well, but it's more uncommon because it minimizes the time where you have to do such things.

I wouldn't be suprised if it had a more accessible community than EQ though. From my brief experience with EQ, it had some of the most asshole players I've ever met. Then again, when i played it, it was pretty late in EQ's existence when the less hardcore players had left or were thinking of leaving.

I have noticed, however that the population on the PVP server I play on is far less likely to group or help out another than on the Normal server I play on. Perhaps it's a difference in the mentality of many PvE and PvP players, who knows?

Probably. I should have played on a PvE server. I hear it's a hell of a lot better.

30. No subject Jun 8, 2005, 05:12 Swerv

I got to 60. I ran a good amount of the high level instances. I quit. The end.

Me too.

29. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2005, 00:12 Teddy

They mean very little and I'm speaking from direct experience. People seem to have gotten the idea in their heads that if they aren't the most uber character with the best skill-set and best armour/weapons available that they won't make a difference in pvp.

Thus far, smart players are FAR more valuable than anything else in the battlegrounds. While equipment has a great deal to do with 1v1 results, how well your characters play as a team will define the battleground results.

People really need to stop using duel results as their guidelines for whether or not they'll be good or useful in pvp.

28. No subject Jun 8, 2005, 00:05 Ravor

I dont see what having uber items making a differance for battlegrounds. If I am leading a raid group around in there.. im hardly gonna waste time and only invite people with a bunch of purple items on them.

Seriously, who gives a fuck what your inventory looks like?

27. Re: CTF Jun 7, 2005, 23:54 AcidDrone

anyone have a link to the full version of this patch? dont want to use blizzs bt caus its slow as dog shit and i cant find a 1.40 to 1.42 patch anywhere. (slow due to not being able to access our firewall to forward ports)

so if anyone can link me to a full patch of 1.50 thatd be good or a 1.40 to 1.42

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 00:01.

26. Re: CTF Jun 7, 2005, 23:36 Teddy

I said so fairly sarcasticly, then i bitched about rogues and now i've bitched about the game itself. I got my ass handed to me. I will probably get my ass handed to me again in reply to this.

Not from me you won't. I apologize for my earlier post, I suppose I'm under more stress lately than I'd like to admit and took that out unfairly on you.

Regardless, I do wonder about your comments about the lack of interaction among players in WoW. How many other MMORPG's have you played? I think to date, my list includes, EQ, EQ2, AO, SWG, MxO and WoW and in my experience, WoW has had the most accessible community. I've grouped with more people that I just happened to bump into on the same quest in WoW than I have in any of the others and found people more willing to do so in it than in most of the others.

I have noticed, however that the population on the PVP server I play on is far less likely to group or help out another than on the Normal server I play on. Perhaps it's a difference in the mentality of many PvE and PvP players, who knows?

25. Re: CTF Jun 7, 2005, 22:20 Cutedge

Here's a thought... if you really have a problem with people catching you off-guard and ganking you, why not play in a normal server? Then YOU get to decide when you want to PVP, if at all. No one forced you to pick a pvp server, no one forced you to play CTF, no one forced you to do anything so why are you so bitter?

Perhaps because I wanted to PVP, and had a lot of friends on the server that I was playing on?

You're right, though. I'm complaining that one of the two maps is CTF, and even I can acknowledge that it's pretty dumb of me to be complaining. It's not like I'm a roleplayer or anything, but I don't think CTF fits with the game world or the style of WoW, but that's the way blizzard treats it. In the end, it's their decision.

I personally think time would have been better spent integrating this kind of thing into the gameworld by adding new areas that were not instanced and trying to add enough new content and zones in to spread players out rather than just putting them in different instances, but it's the way they chose to go about it.

The problem with it is this: WoW has come and is obviously the top dog in terms of MMOs. However, the way WoW does things is different than most MMOs and that's probably the reason why it's been so successful. The way it does things is this:

It plays like a single player game.

Now, some of that is good. There is tons of content before you hit 60, and there are at least a few things for you to do afterwards. However, WoW's approach doesn't really promote you to help or interact with other players except for short periods. Maybe BGs will change that, but overall you just get an animosity for everyone else playing it that you don't know. You get in a guild, and you don't invite anyone to groups that you don't know because for all you know, they're total fucktards. You don't bother to help other people if they're getting attacked by opposite faction because other than the new honor system points, there's absolutely no incentive.

So in the end, if i was to say i was "bitter", I'd say that it's because I see a game with great potential that's taking easy ways out, like instancing all it's content and not promoting a greater purpose for pvp.

Like I said though, I quit. I wouldn't consider myself bitter about it, but I think it's funny that Blizzard told me and others on all our concerns (especially with the honor system) that "Battlegrounds will fix it". I was just curious if it did. I said so fairly sarcasticly, then i bitched about rogues and now i've bitched about the game itself. I got my ass handed to me. I will probably get my ass handed to me again in reply to this.

/shrug

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 22:28.

24. Re: CTF Jun 7, 2005, 22:09 Teddy

They could have made the whole game more dynamic by adding full zones of battleground style material, and instead they are settling for instances of CTF.

You know... maybe it's just me, but they DID in fact happen to add TWO battleground instances and only one of those is CTF, while the other happens to be a conquest style. You're bitching because they offered people the opportunity to play a game mode you don't like?

You know, I love SWAT 4, but how DARE they put in co-op, sp, barricaded suspects and rapid deployment instead of just VIP?!?! Didn't they think of me at all?!?!

Why did they make it instanced instead of implement it directly into the map? Simple. So they could put it in EVERY server and not just the pvp ones and so that they don't have to track two entirely seperate sets of global maps and the code inter-related with them to find bugs.

Here's a thought... if you really have a problem with people catching you off-guard and ganking you, why not play in a normal server? Then YOU get to decide when you want to PVP, if at all. No one forced you to pick a pvp server, no one forced you to play CTF, no one forced you to do anything so why are you so bitter?

23. Re: CTF Jun 7, 2005, 21:44 Cutedge

Fucking a, man. Irate much?

Yeah I played a Mage too. I'm glad you don't have problems with rogues. That's super. However, I got tired of being killing coming off the flight paths of Chillwind Point and Light's Chapel. And apparently I wasn't skilled because I would get attacked by a rogue who was cloaked, and if i managed to get out of the gouge I'd hit them with an instant and frost nova them, which was followed by them immediately recloaking and then killing me. But, you know, whatever. I quit the game, as you requested, before you had requested it. Have fun with it and have fun telling everyone that it's the pinnacle of gaming perfection.

Maybe I should be more clear: If you like WOW, super. Have fun with it. However, I wish I could have liked WOW more and what blizzard has done and is going to do with it is far short of what it could be. They could have made the whole game more dynamic by adding full zones of battleground style material, and instead they are settling for instances of CTF.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 21:54.

22. Re: CTF Jun 7, 2005, 20:07 sinner's saint

I didn't know I was getting into world of WAAAHcraft, where blizzard falls in love....

Fixed it for you.

But seriously, stop complaining you complainy donkey sack. No really, stop it. Stop it. I play a mage and not once, when a rogue has been unstealthed (either by my frost nova or their own stupidity), have I EVER been killed by one. That whole class relies on sneaking up close enough to sniff another persons ass before they get a drop, and yes, then, they do rock your socks. Isn't that the intention of a rogue class?

The only argument you have is that you can't unstealth someone whose higher than you unless you're a hunter, but dude, they have to see you visibly before they kill you, which in turn, you can see them visibly. If you'd take the time to pan around your camera (I know, novel idea) while fighting things instead of holding your dick and pressing the 1, 2 or 3 keys on your keyboard repeatedly you might be able to defend yourself, or at least run away.

And whats so bad about dying? Oh no, I have to take 2 minutes and run back to my corpse! Heavens help you, you are such a poor innocent victim of the tyranny of rogues! Your plight has been hard, right now I am sending a million thunderbolts to destroy anyone who ever makes you whimper or cry. FUCK YOU. Grow up, be a man, get some balls. It's just a game. Don't like it? Screw off. There are millions of players who don't find the system unbalanced.

21. Re: CTF Jun 7, 2005, 19:52 Cutedge

They are just trying to add some objectives to the PVP I don't understand what the problem is.

Explain to me where in the Warcraft series or any of it's expansions where exactly in the storyline you had to capture flags.

You can have objectives without having them be stupid.

Lastly, why are these objectives only in an instanced zone? Why can't they add them into the "real" gameworld so you can actually make an impact and feel like you are doing something?

And if you play a PVP server and cry about getting ganked, you should of known what you were getting into.

I didn't know I was getting into world of roguecraft, where blizzard falls in love with it's alpha class and refuses to do a power check on them and increases their DPS in the last patch and makes it so their cloak always works in this patch... but hey, whatever. I got to 60. I ran a good amount of the high level instances. I quit. The end.

20. WoW Still Sucks Jun 7, 2005, 19:25 bigp3rm1

I quit playing 3 months ago. From what my friends say you have to wait in line to get into a BG. If your friends/guildies are already in good luck playing with them. The new "pvp reward" wasn't enough to get me back. The game was fun for a few months. After that it's the same shit over and over. People run the same instances 4 times a day. How frickn boring...

19. Re: Yay Jun 7, 2005, 19:02 Koshmar

what exactly does it say in the boards about a pVe update, the boards are slightly congested today.

18. CTF Jun 7, 2005, 18:24 asrof

Why is everyone like "CTF, THIS ISNT QUAKE LOL" if you just want to gank other people go to TM or whatever is popular on your server. They are just trying to add some objectives to the PVP I don't understand what the problem is. Besides, people will just use any zones they try to add with actual pvp games and just gank each other mindlessly anyway.

And the stuff about not being able to go PVP if you don't have the best gear... give me a break, the players don't decide if you can go into a zone or not, and as you pointed out these people with the "uber" items have to spend hours a day raiding so it's not like they are the only people you can group with or the only people PVPing.

I don't know what awesome players you fight against that in a battle of 20+ people on each side they can instantly pick out who has the worst gear and kill them first.

If you don't want to PVP and just use this as an excuse to avoid it then that's fine, but acting like everyone is decked out in epic items but you is a joke. Most people don't even have a full set of rare armor, or a single purple. So quit the woe is me stuff.

And if you play a PVP server and cry about getting ganked, you should of known what you were getting into. Every game with PVP is like that, there are certain people who if they can kill you they will kill you. Certainly they have even more reason to now but they will still do it anyway, and they are supposed to... it's a PVP server.

As far as content, I think there's a lot more content before 60. If you think pre-60 has nothing to do then you should quit now because at the moment all you have to do at 60 is a few instances and PVP. They can, have, and will add more instances but people just get bored and cry once they realize they still aren't getting everything for no effort.

I don't have a guild, only a few pieces of my set armor and I've never even seen onyxia or MC but I still manage to PVP and have fun. If you are burned out take a break, remember it's just a game and stop feeling sorry for yourself because you don't have 40 people dedicated to farming MC for you (nobody does).

17. Re: Yay Jun 7, 2005, 17:50 Krovven

Yeah, that's finally why I stopped playing WoW. I reached 60, got decent weapons and armor from the auction house, but then realized that as good as my equipement was, it paled in comparison to the items people were getting doing raids.

The problem is, I'd have to do a 4+ hour raid daily for that 1% or less chance to get a good item. There is no way I'm devoting that much time just to keep up with other players.

Exactly why I stopped playing...that and I needed to stop playing all day everyday.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

16. Yay Jun 7, 2005, 17:33 Fingers M

your guild leaders are dumb if they think a couple purple items will make a difference in BG. Many of the blue item sets from the non raid instances are just as affective in PVP and also the pvp reward items are better suited as well. But we will see.  

15. Re: Yay Jun 7, 2005, 17:16 Cutedge

That what the people running the guild I was in told me. If you don't have the best elite gear, you won't be doing battlefields. I'm not sure if that holds true, but from what I saw of battlefields i wasn't much impressed. The Alterac one looks alright, the other is CTF. CTF?

C T F?

I thought this was fucking warcraft.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo