Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No GTA:SA GF4MX Support

First, Rockstar Games Ships Grand Theft Auto San Andreas for Xbox-R- and PC is the official press release on the availability of the new GTA game on PC and Xbox first mentioned last night. On a note related to the release, the GTAForums (thanks Tiscali Games) indicate that because the game does not offer an option to disable pixel shader effects, it will not run on video cards without pixel shader support, GeForce 4 MX cards are specifically discussed in this thread.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Who cares? Jun 8, 2005, 05:31 Cutedge

Yeah but the 4MX doesn't have any pixel shader support. It's a Geforce 2 hopped up on coke.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Who cares? Jun 7, 2005, 23:43 Jarek Forhanon

I dont see this as any negative for GTA:SA, but a negative on the GF4mx which while it was never a "gamers" card, it wasnt exactly marketed as a office-only card either, and came out at a time where PS3 was clearly going to be a given for games in the very near future.

Hrm, if I recall correctly, PS3 didn't exist when the GF4MX came out. Back then, PS1.1 was all the rage.

23. Re: Who cares? Jun 7, 2005, 22:29 Riker

If we're saying that a mainstream grafix card has a shelf life of less than 3 years then it's no wonder PC gaming is "dying out".

Now this is just silly. The GF4MX was a very low-end graphics card even at the time of its release. To expect it to run modern day titles several years later, with a modern game engine is ridiculous. The fact is, PC gaming requires fairly regular upgrading of video cards. Even so, my nearly 2-year-old Radeon 9500 Pro still runs games I play just fine, and likely will for another 6-12 months. Not bad for a $170 investment. How long cards last is related to how much you pay for them. Pay little, and you'll get little out of it. Sorry, that's how it works.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 22:33.

22. Re: Who cares? Jun 7, 2005, 21:58 Cutedge

It's pretty amazing that the 5500 is still on the market. The 5x00 series was a total POS line by nvidia (when you compare it to their previous 4ti line and the new 6x00 line, which is fantastic), and the fact that they are still marketing it (only now with more RAMs!!1!) is a load.

But hey, I went to CompUSA (for a converter from the power cables that a IDE device takes to a floppy, so i could power my brother's old 9500pro which then died a week later. erg), and they were still selling Radeon 9000s. I pity anyone who buys that trash.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 22:09.

21. Re: Who cares? Jun 7, 2005, 20:30 sinner's saint

"Why do they insist on putting crap out like this???"

The better question is, why do you insist on buying crap like that? Moron.

20. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 19:45 Sepharo

My Radeon 9800xt still powers through anything I have bought to this day. Doom3, HL2, FarCry, Sims2, Splinter Cell 3.

BRING IT ON

19. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 19:35 The Half Elf

*hugs his BFG 6800GT licks it and calls it Martha, cause Martha Stewart is all about Everyday living*

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

18. No subject Jun 7, 2005, 18:57 Mad Evil

GF4MX users eatshitanddie  

17. Re: Who cares? Jun 7, 2005, 18:32 DG

Limited?! Whatz that?

Some booklet comes in the box. Either that or the bastards are sending the German version!

16. Re: Who cares? Jun 7, 2005, 18:25 MuzixMon

I bought my son a Geforce 5500FX 256mb card for his computer a few weeks ago for $140 bucks and needless to say its a piece of GARBAGE! Why do they insist on putting crap out like this??? Well I tried installing GTA:SA on his computer today and to no big surprise it didn't work. Funny that a 5 year old PS2 can run this game (although not that great) this card can't? I thought these cards were at least suppose to be DX9 compatible to some extent. Well I'm the sucker for dumping my money on this fake ass card.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

15. Re: Who cares? Jun 7, 2005, 18:24 Awesome Spume

but a negative on the GF4mx which while it was never a "gamers" card, it wasnt exactly marketed as a office-only card either

It was marketed as what it was, a mid-price graphics card for casual gamers. My copy of OpenOffice doesn't require that much 3D acceleration. OTOH if you're doing design work you probably wouldn't have wanted the MX either.

I had a GF4MX in a couple of Dells I bought but that was at least a couple or three years ago. If we're saying that a mainstream grafix card has a shelf life of less than 3 years then it's no wonder PC gaming is "dying out". I mean why exclude potentially thousands of customers when the original PS2 product doesn't need the extra graphical bells and or whistles? Look to Blizzard who set the bar low enough for the mass market while giving the options for more if you can run it.

14. Re: Who cares? Jun 7, 2005, 17:29 Kiro

Items not yet dispatched:
Delivery estimate: 9 Jun 2005 - 10 Jun 2005

* 1 of: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PC/DVD)

*sigh* So soon. Can't wait for this... And when BF2 comes out I wont have any kinda life.. Oh and what everyone says about the GF4MX is spot on. The card is a waste of the PCB it was printed on.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 17:30.

<+pihlopase> Jesus Saves
<@jbroome> pases to moses, SCOOOOORE

13. Re: Who cares? Jun 7, 2005, 16:36 nin

Your order for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Limited Edition) has been posted

Limited?! Whatz that?

If you look at your reflection, is that all you want to be? http://www.nin.com

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: Who cares? Jun 7, 2005, 16:23 DG

I dont see this as any negative for GTA:SA, but a negative on the GF4mx which while it was never a "gamers" card, it wasnt exactly marketed as a office-only card either, and came out at a time where PS3 was clearly going to be a given for games in the very near future.

Anyway:
Your order for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Limited Edition) has been posted
\o/

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 16:24.

11. Re: Who cares? Jun 7, 2005, 15:07 Riker

It's not a surprise, but they could have pointed that out EARLIER. Like a month ago, before it's shipped...

It shipped to stores just today or yesterday, I believe. In any case, I think it's foolish to assume a GF4MX will be supported by any modern game at all. By today's standards, GF2 tech is way past being feasible. Although I certainly do think nVidia should be seriously penalized for marketing it as GF4-series tech.

10. Re: GeForce 4 MX Jun 7, 2005, 12:56 Creston

Hey! I have the same card as the guy who had sex with a Swedish babe! I am much cooler than I first thought!

Lol, yeah, you're just spitting icecubes over there

Creston

9. No subject Jun 7, 2005, 12:05 CeeJay

It might be possible to run the game on a Geforce4 MX using 3D-analyze.

http://www.tommti-systems.com/main-Dateien/files.html

It is already possible to workaround some of the problems with the previous 3D GTA games with 3D-analyze so I give it good odds - I can't say how fast it will run or how good it will look without shadereffects (actually with 3D-analyze telling the game that card supports pixelshaders even if it does not) , but I'm pretty sure it will run.

I'm the developer of SweetFX

8. Let them eat cake! Jun 7, 2005, 12:02 Riley Pizt

Let them eat cake!

While the requirement of pixel shaders is not all that surprising for a game these days (although it still is for a PS2 port), it should be clearly indicated on the product packaging.

7. Oh no Jun 7, 2005, 11:41 Bludd

Buy a cheap Radeon 9200 or Geforce 6200 or something. It's got shaders and the same crappy performance as GF4MX*

*in the GF4MX vs GF4 and Geforce 6200 vs Geforce 6800 way.

6. Re: GeForce 4 MX Jun 7, 2005, 11:41 Prez

Hugs 6800GT

Hey! I have the same card as the guy who had sex with a Swedish babe! I am much cooler than I first thought!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo