Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - GTA: San Andreas

San Andreas rumbles onto PC, Xbox on GameSpot has word that the PC and Xbox editions of the latest installment in the life-of-crime series has raced into stores, joining the PS2 edition of the game. Word is: "Both the PC and Xbox versions of San Andreas feature the complete PlayStation 2 game with a few extra bells and whistles. Besides sporting improved graphics, both versions also support customizable radio stations, which will let players rip CDs and create playlists, which include DJ chatter from the game's on-air personalities. The two new versions will also have a new replay feature."

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. At last! Jun 8, 2005, 01:53 MrJonesPY

The wait is over!
I, as many of you, have been waiting this version since GTA-VC last mission

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 22:44 Sugarman

True, playing on the couch does have its benefits.

46. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 11:36 Geese

Plus your laser or whole xbox will probably burn up in a year or less anyway and then your screwed.

Replacing an entire Xbox costs 150.00 new. And thats if you dont have the no-questions-asked replacement guarantee that you can get most places now (I invoked that a year a go and got a new xbox for nothing more than the 25 bucks I put into the warranty) That's a little less screwed than having to replace even one part of a decent gaming PC like 1GB of ram or Heaven's forbid, having to replace my 6800GT.

I have an awesome gaming PC, and still elected to get the Xbox version. Sometimes its not about what system it runs better or looks better on...sometimes its about what I'll enjoy it more on. I enjoy playing GTA from the comfort of my couch, plain and simple.

And BTW, the 'darkside' to me means enjoying playing both console and PC, and not focusing on just one. I wasn't trying to get you to abandon your KB/M, just trying to get you to not let it restrict what games you can enjoy! Game on!

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio!
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com
This comment was edited on Jun 7, 11:44.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202

45. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 11:36 Prez

lol - that would be awesome. I think I'd replay that mission several dozen times.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

44. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 11:22 nin

Rockstar should pay lunatic lawyer Jack Thompson royalties for all the publicity he brings to their games!

All jokes aside, I'm surprised they don't create a mission where you have to go kill some lawyer who's creating havok for "the game industry"...

If you look at your reflection, is that all you want to be? http://www.nin.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

43. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 11:16 Prez

Rockstar should pay lunatic lawyer Jack Thompson royalties for all the publicity he brings to their games!:o

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

42. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 11:11 CptStern

"Maybe multiplayer with a patch from the mta team would steer you to the pc version. Plus the pc will still have better graphics and think of the mods that will follow, I don't see how you could contemplate getting the xbox version if you have a pc. Plus your laser or whole xbox will probably burn up in a year or less anyway and then your screwed"

I dont use my xbox all that often so that's not a concern. But I agree the mods do sound interesting ..still undecided but I'll probably get the pc version as it's cheaper

41. Re: Funny Jun 7, 2005, 11:01 MMORPGHoD

Ah, seeing all these GTA flavors out there just makes me wish Mafia 2 existed.

40. Re: Funny Jun 7, 2005, 10:51 Creston

Oh, I thought I was just rambling incoherently. Had I written a review, I'd have done better.

And no, you can't have my babies, my wife would get jealous... Sorry...

Creston

39. Re: Funny Jun 7, 2005, 10:23 The Half Elf

Many thanks for giving an awesome review of the game. In fact your review was about 50 times better then any other I have seen.

And my copy is now in Orlando.... time to set up the booby traps and torture gear for the fed ex guy.

Btw Creston, can I have your babys?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

38. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 10:20 Sugarman

Maybe multiplayer with a patch from the mta team would steer you to the pc version. Plus the pc will still have better graphics and think of the mods that will follow, I don't see how you could contemplate getting the xbox version if you have a pc. Plus your laser or whole xbox will probably burn up in a year or less anyway and then your screwed.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 10:21.

37. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 10:12 CptStern

"I guess you have to be a trash mouthed idiot to have a respectable opinion these days.

It is unbelievable how totally evil most people are getting. Especially the younger crowd."

you're a religious freak arent you? I'm asking cuz according to you anyone who uses profanity is "evil" ..which is just fucking ridiculous

anyways what's the incentive to get the PC version as opposed to the xbox version? just curious ...I prefer gaming on my pc but in games such as this where driving is such a big part of gameplay I'm wondering if the xbox version would be a better choice

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 10:16.

36. Funny Jun 7, 2005, 10:03 Creston

Most of the things that Beaner mentions either didn't bother me, or I just ignored them. Yes, the girlfriends bit is totally retarded (and made more for 17 year old dweebs who've never kissed a girl, I think), but you can also completely skip it if you want. There is one mission where you have to 'date' a girl until she gives you an item, but if you don't feel like doing that, kill her and get the item that way.
(Yes, I know that's brutal, it's a brutal game.)
The food bit I thought was pretty cool actually, just made the thing seem more real somehow. as for the gym, mwah, you can do it if you chose, or you can just ignore it. Personally, I always start off by topping out my bike skill, by which time you'll already have very good stamina anyways. You don't HAVE TO go to the gym. In fact, not going to the gym and letting CJ get mighty fat is fun , since his whole line of comments changes. (When he jacks a car, he'll say something like "Sorry lady, but I'm fat and lazy")

Similarly for a lot of the other stuff. I'd never gone into one of the bars / joints until I got kinda bored doing everything else, and then played a surprisingly fun game of pool inside.

While it's true that it's strange that CJ will care about his old 'hood when he has a whole empire of investments going, this is actually explained in the story. He does it because his brother guilt trips him into it.

Personally, I feel the greatest fun in the game is right at the start, when you have no money, no weapons, etc, and the turf wars part hasn't started yet (more on that in a bit). You can just drive around and do drive-by's on Ballas (your hated gang rivals), infiltrate their hoods, which leads to really fun gunfights and definitely a lot of running for your life.
Also, the initial group of missions are just plain fun, but perhaps that's just me. The characters in this game are well fleshed out, and they're just funny to hang around.

The turf wars part, for me, is annoying. Yes, I know that you can save and retain your territory, but even so that's still annoying. They just happen way too frequently (every 2 days). Even worse is that the first time turf wars happen, you are given no warning that if you conquer ALL the territories (which I did, took me two days...), you will lose it all again four missions later.

You are warned. Do NOT bother with turf wars the first time around.

And the biggest annoyance is that in order to start a turf war in a territory to take it over, you have to kill three of the controlling gang members inside that territory. But that is so precise that if you kill those guys while they are on the other side of the street, which is in different turf, it won't register.

Furthermore, while enemy gangs can attack your turf without problem, you HAVE TO find their gangers inside a turf before you can attack them. And many of the territories you want to conquer are simply void of gangers, so you CAN'T conquer it.
This leads to you endlessly going in and out of that territory, or herding gangers inside it, to try to just trigger that damn fucking turf war.

I doubt that that's changed any...

However, there are a lot of things in this one that are so much better than in Vice City. First of all, it's about ten times as big, and all seamless. The only time it loads is when you go into a mission, or go inside somewhere. Outside, it all loads seamlessly. On a machine with 32mb of RAM. Tell me again why Half Life 2 has to load every 7 seconds on my 1Gig of ram machine??

The inclusion of rural areas really makes for a far more fun game, imo. It's just a blast to take a truck out through the countryside, being chased by three cops and a chopper, while Queen of Hearts by Juice Newton is playing on your radio

The missions are far, far better than in vice city. First off, they are not as frustratingly difficult as VC. Some people might enjoy that, but I never get any fun from doing the same thing 500 times until you finally get lucky enough to succeed. If a mission challenges me to do it about three times or so, that's tough enough for me. (So I'm a pussy, shut the fuck up )
SA got this just right, for me. Also, the missions are far more clearly explained and mapped out for you, so you actually KNOW what you have to do.
They are also a LOT longer. Some of them can easily take you 30 minutes or so to complete.
Finally, there's an absolute shitload of them. I believe that there are well over 100 missions if you choose to do all of them, and about 95% of them are just fun to do. My only regret is that the 'stealing exotic cars' bit is only three lists long. I love that mission more than anything else, and would gladly have seen that be 10 lists long or something.
The only mission that really annoys the shit out of people, with the radio remote helicopter, is not a mandatory one and can be skipped. (this mission destroyed my controller as I hurled it against the wall.)

The story is excellent, as is the voice acting and the dialogue. The guy may be called DJ Poo or something, but he can sure write dialogue. Most of the characters are excellent and memorable (my fave is still Woozie), and it makes sense for the characters to do what they are doing (Cesar, for example, makes for a terrific sidekick in several missions).

Just driving somewhere is now fun. Going from LA to SF takes a good ten minute drive, I've done it about a billion times, and it's just fun to do so. The addition of your own airfield, more airplanes, helicopters, bikes, more cars, etc is all just gravy on what is, in my opinion, one of the finest games ever made.

Yes, some of the add-ons are annoying, but they can ALL be ignored or skipped, with the exception of eating. And if you just go into a burger joint, eat six Triple cheeseburgers, CJ is good to go for another two or three days

I can definitely recommend this game.

Holy shit this got way too long...

Creston

35. Re: Well.... Jun 7, 2005, 09:51 Sugarman

I still think gamepads suck, and your efforts to turn me to the darkside of gaming will never happen Lord Goose.

Hmmm, that lightning from the hands is pretty cool though, I'm not sure if I like what it does to one's face but maybe some sort of cream could prevent that.

34. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 09:32 TorTorden

Well since a lot of these things people have defined as bugs, are well known since the days of GTA3, it sure does'nt seem unintentional to me.

Granted turf wars is a new feature.
and that could be a bug.
still it's your choice, if you don't want to use it, don't

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar for a proffesion.
This comment was edited on Jun 7, 09:35.

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

33. Re: Well.... Jun 7, 2005, 09:30 Geese

don't understand how anyone can play an FPS or anything on those worthless button ridden inaccurate peices of crap, when will they learn that the mouse and keyboard are far superior to the fumblestick.

Knowing it's superior has nothing to do with learning to use a gamepad. I know the KB/M combo gives quicker control, but that doesn't keep me from adapting and learning to use a gamepad when I need to or want to. Gamepads are as "accurate" as the mouse for aiming in FPS. They just aren't as "quick". There's a difference. Like anything, there's a learning curve. You are either willing to learn it, or you aren't.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio!
This comment was edited on Jun 7, 09:34.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202

32. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 09:21 L0cky

the key to these GTA games is to take advantage of the many loopholes put into the game. ie when your "turf" is under attack and your busy on the other side of the world, GO FRIGGIN SAVE. that stops the attack and the territory is still yours

Having your gameplay rescued by unintentional bugs is hardly worth giving credit for

31. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 09:00 nin

The Burnout series looks to be the exception though, every other game I've seen using Renderware has suffered from mediocre performance and looks. Odd that only Criterion can seem to wring any decent performance out of it.

Yep...

If you look at your reflection, is that all you want to be? http://www.nin.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

30. Re: Well.... Jun 7, 2005, 08:49 Sugarman

I played it on the PS2 and loved the game but absolutely despised that stupid controller, I don't understand how anyone can play an FPS or anything on those worthless button ridden inaccurate peices of crap, when will they learn that the mouse and keyboard are far superior to the fumblestick.

And I could barely see the map since the graphics were so bad on the PS2. I will definitely get it for the PC since it uses the same code as the previous version and the MTA team will certainly release a multiplayer patch for it. Although they should have released it at 29 or 39 bucks as compared to 49.

And look at yourselves all bickering in the previous posts, I should get out my shotgun and "maybe this game does make us all violent" polish it then put it back in the cabinet,.....what, did you think I was gonna say shoot someone, shame on you.

29. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 08:34 Speckled Jim

The Burnout series looks to be the exception though, every other game I've seen using Renderware has suffered from mediocre performance and looks. Odd that only Criterion can seem to wring any decent performance out of it.

This goes for GTA as well, none of them looked good, and they all suffered from poor framerates.

No great loss as far as I'm concerned, when I think of GTA, all that comes to mind are the words dull and repetitive.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo