Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

3000AD vs Dreamcatcher Follow-up

Agreements with Dreamcatcher terminated on the Battlecruiser Forums has an update from 3000AD's Derek Smart on his legal action against publisher Dreamcatcher Interactive (story). Apparently while Dreamcatcher has complied with demands to remove materials relating to Universal Combat: A World Apart, but they are still carrying listings for Battlecruiser Millennium Gold and other Universal Combat games, word is: "Either way, this time around - unlike the fiasco over UC which cost me several thousands of lost earnings and them getting away with merely a slap on the wrist - I am fully prepared to see this to the very - bitter - end as I don't believe that Dreamcatcher is going to be in business much longer. At least not long enough to keep conducting business (at least with us) as they have been doing since we signed with them back in late 2002."

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

63. Re: OOPS! Jun 5, 2005, 12:35 Tigger

Enough said. This will be my last post about this.

Does that mean you'll go away and get a life? For crying out loud Derek, you keep on saying how this crowd sucks. Get help!

Really.

Get some help.

Besides, it's pretty unprofessional the way you do things. I mean, to detail the proceedings on a message board?

Go get your bootlicking someplace else.

--
Tigger
"It's not the years, it's the mileage" ~Indiana Jones
Edit: Remembered that I, too, reference posts made on other boards. As do other fine memebers of our community.
This comment was edited on Jun 6, 16:25.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

62. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2005, 18:40 Fantaz

No, I want last post.

61. No subject Jun 4, 2005, 01:59 mag

Last Post!

60. No subject Jun 3, 2005, 23:34 saturnine

Heh... Smart is teh man!

59. Re: OOPS! Jun 3, 2005, 20:59 Overon

Yes derek you always get the last word.

You mars rock and Ph.D. possessing gargoyle.

58. Re: OOPS! Jun 3, 2005, 20:22  dsmart 

Enough said. This will be my last post about this.

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=57461

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

57. OOPS! Jun 3, 2005, 19:35 Hump

Jeezus, and here I thought Derek had mellowed out....

EDIT: Looks like DC may indeed be responsible for the state of affairs here guys so don't jump to conculsions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers
This comment was edited on Jun 3, 19:55.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

56. DS Repellant Jun 3, 2005, 19:03 Steel Rockhard

Well, we all know how to get rid of DS now. Just ask him an honest question and he vanishes!

55. More of same Jun 3, 2005, 18:50 Cartman

I knew before I saw one comment that the comments here would include insults from Derek and the usual comments about the deranged man and his diploma-mill Ph.D.

Does it ever get boring? Does Desktop Commander ever get boring? I think not.

Ahh, I love old jokes and Derek is the oldest of jokes around here.

Hey, why did Derek cross the road? Why, he was f*cking a chicken, of course!

Cheers! CF

http://forum.ramanon.com

edited for language
This comment was edited on Jun 3, 19:47.

54. No subject Jun 3, 2005, 18:45 space captain

Interesting how my original post about Mr. Smart's child molestation was removed, yet still preserved for eternity in a quote right above it

SMAAAAAART!!

Go forth, and kill!

53. Re: Honest Question 2 Jun 3, 2005, 18:28 Ihya

Don't forget to pick up the official merchandise that accompanies this thread...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/AdamLea/shirt.jpg

Be a proud owner of one today!

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 18:28.

52. Re: Honest Question 2 Jun 3, 2005, 18:12 Steel Rockhard

"...ever heard the one about the frog and the scorpion?"

I promise I won't sting. Honestly, it's not in my nature.

I just wanna know. So I know.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 18:12.

51. Re: Honest Question 2 Jun 3, 2005, 17:58  dsmart 

Steel Rockhard
DS: why do you care what folks on Blue's News are writing (if you can call it that, in some cases) about you? I honestly want to know. It just seems like folks like to bait you with inflammatory posts... and you give them exactly what they want.

I'm not trying to bait you here, BTW. I have my theories about your motives, but I'd like to hear what you have to say on the subject. I'm actually interested in your answer.

"It takes a human being to appreciate one's supporters. It takes a man to appreciate one's critics. It took me a long time to learn that."

Well said, SZ. Well said.

...ever heard the one about the frog and the scorpion?

...of course, as if on cue, this thread is already making the rounds. http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19358

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

50. Guessing Jun 3, 2005, 17:54 Steel Rockhard

As I said in my last post, Prez, I have my theories as to his motives. In fact, yours and mine may be pretty darn close. But...

I want to hear it from the man, hisef'.

I have asked an honest question (amazing as it may seem, given the medium) but have yet to get an honest answer.

Do I have to call the man an asshole to get a response? That seems kinda odd to me.

49. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2005, 17:34 The Half Elf

Ya know maybe there is a light of hope at the end of the tunnel.

Taldren went through 2 publishers before shutting down, and now that Derek Smart has had 2 publishers maybe the rest of the publishers will take notice and not publish any more of his games.

Mr Smart, I said this once before and I kindly ask that you take notice. You have wonderful, big, even HUGE ideas for games, but your implementation of them is boarderline ludocrist. I mean I was one of the few people after reading PC Gamers review of the original BC3000AD, purchased the game, in hopes that it would be everything it was suppose to be. But after that game I just could not bring myself to purchase another of the series.

Have you ever considered for lack of better phrasing 'dumbing down' the interface? I have heard quite a few jokes about your games being the excel spreadsheets of space sims, and I honestly do think they have a point.

I think you have a very solid concept for a game franchise, but at the same time remove the people that want to play this type of game.

I wish you the best of luck with your games and one day actually hope to remove my first bitter experience with your game with one that will remain on my hard drive.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

48. Try a DS game for free! Jun 3, 2005, 17:32 Gorehose

Just give'er!

http://www.fileplanet.com/62798/60000/fileinfo/Battlecruiser-3000AD-v.-2.09

47. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2005, 17:32 Overon

I am the puppet master and Derek Smart is my Mars rock and Ph.D. possessing fraud puppet.

46. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2005, 17:29 Burrito of Peace

Uh, space captain, would it technically be the anus of everyone who ever bought one of his steaming piles of rancid, fetid shit?

Oh, damn, that's right...with the game looking and playing like something that runs on an Etch-A-Sketch, only children WOULD have it.

I bet he made the little boy wear a Sailor Moon costume.

45. No subject Jun 3, 2005, 17:28 Pete

This stuff is getting old.  
Doin' it Big

44. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2005, 17:27 Parallax Abstraction

I love this guy. He's fucking funny. I can't wait for his MMO. I know that I want to PAY for him to treat me like I'm a total fucking dipshit. That's definitely worth 15 a month.

There's absolutely no way he'll be able to self-fund an MMO either. I don't know what publisher would shell out the cash to him to mount a project like that. And not to mention, when the game launches and has 15,000 times the launch issues of any other MMO in history and no one buys it, he'll just sue that publisher for not living up to the contact. THEN what'll happen. Actually, I'd like to see that happen with an MMO, just to see what he'd do.

Parallax Abstraction
Founder of StateOfGaming.org - Coming Soon
Commentary & Discussion About the Video Game Industry and Its Future

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo