Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dungeon Lords U.K. Delay

Mindscape announces a delay to the U.K. release of Dungeon Lords, even though an English version of Heuristic Park's combat RPG is currently available in North America. Here's word on the delay, as European editions of the game were slated to ship in May:

Mindscape has today taken the decision to delay the release of Dungeon Lords by three weeks, to allow the award-winning development team additional time to address and polish some aspects of the gameplay.

Mindscape apologises for this delay, however, as a distributor and publisher of quality leisure and games software, Mindscape feels honour bound to offering only the best titles, produced to the highest of standards, to its loyal fan and customer base.

Mindscape apologises for any inconvenience caused and its sales and marketing team are available for any further enquiries.

Dungeon Lords will now be available for PC on 1st July 2005.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Please :( Jun 3, 2005, 10:25 Duc

Did you notice they produced a samurai expansion pack for UO?
Thats the last new Ultima game we are ever likely to see, it breaks my heart.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Please :( Jun 3, 2005, 09:05 Creston

Stop talking about Ultima...

The way that series ended rends my heart up to this very day... Cry

Creston

25. Re: Garbage Lords Jun 3, 2005, 06:12 Icewind

At least EA/Origin sent out a patched CD for Ultima 9 for FREE. Now how many companies have ever done that? Then again did they even release anything else after Ultima 9?

Yes, but you didn't take the time to see my point. As with Dungeon Lords, Ultima 9 was a game that had more then just simple bugs lowering it's quality: It was unfinished. Or rather, poorly thought out. The combat was even more simplistic then U8, the dialog choices were poor, the game did not reference early Ultimas...It took the fans to create a patch of their own design to make the game even half of what it was advertised to be.

Sadly, I don't think DL has that kind of fan base, which means no patch.

I was one of those folks who stuck up for the game, here and on other boards. However, after seeing all that has transpired, I began to lose respect for HP and Bradley.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2010, 22:46.

24. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2005, 03:29 Tehol

troika is a king of bugs.excuse me if i dont cry for them(troika),good riddance i say.

on point of publishers,what's up with atari?it never learns!even the latest game bioling point is infested with bugs.influnced by DEADWOOD show i say c*** s****r!

23. Re: 3 weeks? ROFL Jun 3, 2005, 03:25 Bill Nakano

Dreamcatcher knew what it was shipping when it went to master, and now they realise that they can't release this stinking POS to a fresh market without at least trying to fix some of the stuff. Besides, any Brit/Eu person who hasn't seen the reviews for this online needs to get on the net more before they purchase.

Dreamcatcher published the game in NA, Mindscape in Europe - they're two different publishers. Dreamcatcher shouldn't have released DL. Mindscape are trying to do the right thing but it remains to be seen whether it will make a damn bit of difference. I liked the demo well enough and the dev team are allegedly working on the bugs,so who knows...

22. Re: No subject Jun 2, 2005, 21:48 Mad Max RW

Go ask Tim Cain what happened to Greyhawk. Think he wanted the game out in that condition? Think he wanted all the children removed and the brothel taken out? I don't know for sure, but I really doubt it.

The reason for that is the use of the D&D license. It's owned by Wizards of the Coast, who basically made it impossible to have any R rated stuff, or the ability to be truly evil, in anything Dungeons and Dragons. The mass amount of bugs is partly Atari and partly Troika's fault. All THREE of Troika's games are filled with bugs. And now they're gone forever.

21. Re: No subject Jun 2, 2005, 21:44 Mad Max RW

Dreamcatcher realized this game was a lost cost and figured if it isn't released now it'll never be released. Keep in mind, Dungeon Keeper was supposed THE "action RPG of 2004!" The only people to blame are the developers for failing to do their job. And that's make a game, on time, and finished. They couldn't get it done on time, and still couldn't finish it.

20. Re: No subject Jun 2, 2005, 21:29 wtf_man

these people know what they are getting into, the publishers dont suddenly spring these release dates on the developers... the devs try to make the case for more time and are unsuccessful, thats their problem for trying to fuck everyone around

Right.

I can't blame the Publisher's on this one. The game was ALREADY delayed once (From Fall 2004 to Spring 2005, as I stated earlier). The devs were ALREADY given over 6 extra months to "polish" stuff... and everyone has seen the result.

3 Weeks won't mean squat.

This time, the fault definitely lies with the Dev team, IMO.
...And I'm usually one that puts the blame on Publishers for not giving enough time.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 21:34.

19. Re: Garbage Lords Jun 2, 2005, 19:29 The Half Elf

At least EA/Origin sent out a patched CD for Ultima 9 for FREE. Now how many companies have ever done that? Then again did they even release anything else after Ultima 9?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

18. No subject Jun 2, 2005, 19:19 space captain

when you lie with the dogs, you wake up with fleas

these people know what they are getting into, the publishers dont suddenly spring these release dates on the developers... the devs try to make the case for more time and are unsuccessful, thats their problem for trying to fuck everyone around

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 19:20.

Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: 3 weeks? ROFL Jun 2, 2005, 19:09 Icewind

Remember, Rich garriot said EA treated Ultima 9, quote, "Like a red headed stepchild". His words, not mine.

The designer doesn't want a game like this out...it's the publisher that is at fault, Asmodai is 100% correct.

Go ask Tim Cain what happened to Greyhawk. Think he wanted the game out in that condition? Think he wanted all the children removed and the brothel taken out? I don't know for sure, but I really doubt it.

16. Re: 3 weeks? ROFL Jun 2, 2005, 18:52 Asmodai

Your kidding? Some of the biggest failures in game history are because publishers twist the arms of the developers to get a product out the door.

Anyone who's sat down and played the game for 30 minutes knows that it's bugged to hell and back.

Dreamcatcher knew what it was shipping when it went to master, and now they realise that they can't release this stinking POS to a fresh market without at least trying to fix some of the stuff. Besides, any Brit/Eu person who hasn't seen the reviews for this online needs to get on the net more before they purchase.

15. Re: 3 weeks? ROFL Jun 2, 2005, 18:19 Fantaz

Dreamcatcher or any of the other publishers are not at fault when the stupid developers can't finish a product after more than 2-3 years. Do we really think 3 weeks is going to help anything? The game testers can only do so much when the devs are just too lazy to fix anything. The delay would probably just make people cancel their pre-orders as words spreads around about the reviews.

14. No subject Jun 2, 2005, 17:45 space captain

most likely the QA people found the bugs that were actually fixed before the game shipped - then the developer runs out of money and time to fix any more bugs, and the publisher is forced to ship out an unfinished product

it happens quite frequently

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Garbage Lords Jun 2, 2005, 16:49 Icewind

Darks:
I think that's what it basically is. The publisher (In this case Mindscape, rather then Dreamcatcher) is just doing this so that when it comes out in europe, with probably nothing more then the 1.2 patch applied, they can point to Heuristic Park and tell their angry customers that they "Gave them more time then they originally had" for the game's release and that it is HP's fault, not theirs. Pass the buck, CYA, whatever you want to call it...it applies here.

What I don't understand is why pay people to Beta test/Q&A a game if so many games come out like this? Do these Quality Assurance people even do anything? From where I'm standing, it looks like these folks just sit around a computer screen, chatting on the offiical boards with a starbucks coffee in their hand. That's the job I want. One where you get paid, but apparently don't have to work.

12. Re: Garbage Lords Jun 2, 2005, 15:54 Darks

How about an appoligy to us here in the US for releasing a POS Beta that we paid 40 bucks for? I like how the Publisher is now trying to save face and make it seem like they are allowing the Dev team more time to complete and polish off the game that should have ben done in the first damn place. Assholes!

- Rick

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 15:55.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

11. Garbage Lords Jun 2, 2005, 15:06 Icewind

D.W. Bradley wasn't involved in the HOMM series. He gained his fame (though he has since lost it) for Wizardry games 5,6 and 7. Shame too, since Wizardry 8 was actually the best of the bunch.

Bradley is just like Spector...another great old game designer whose wonderful ideas are stifled by the publisher he was forced to obey. Also, look up "Richard Garriot and Ultima 9" for another exmaple.

I remember the web boards when U9 came out...even they weren't as bad as Dreamcatcher's DL forums are now.

With no furniture, an Inn with only one PC in it, tons of broken quests and skills and some of the silliest combat ever envisioned, DL is a game that needed at least another year to cook, not a month.

ahhh well, c'est la vie

10. Re: 3 weeks? ROFL Jun 2, 2005, 15:05 SquirrelZero

All of the Heroes games have been arguably good, so you're probably thinking of just plain Might and Magic -- of which Bradley had no part of (i think). I wouldn't slam Bradley too hard, either, because he has made great games in the past... it's just his recent ones that haven't been all that great. Wizards & Warriors and Dungeon Lords for example.

Bradley was at least partly responsible (responsible enough that they plastered his name all over the place) for Wizardry 6 and 7, also arguably two of the greatest PC rpg's ever made.

I guess it also should be noted that Heuristic Park was behind his two most recent failures, and SirTech was behind Wizardry -- so it was two development different teams. That may explain more than a few things.

9. confused Jun 2, 2005, 15:00 Yosemite Sam

Mindscape apologises for this delay, however, as a distributor and publisher of quality leisure and games software, Mindscape feels honour bound to offering only the best titles, produced to the highest of standards, to its loyal fan and customer base.

So they delayed a UK release because they want to release a quality product, but it is already on the shelves here?
So what got released here? a beta POS? and does NA mean nothing to them? They are only concerned that the UK gets a good game and NA gets to beta it for them, I'm confused. Oh well not that I had any interest in this game, just thought that statement was odd.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

8. Re: 3 weeks? ROFL Jun 2, 2005, 14:48 Tehol

i was begining to respect dream catcher as a publisher for painkiller,their support for painkiller was great(cresit also goes to people can fly).now this garbage,i dont know who to blame,dream catcher or that shit bag who made dungeon lords(did't he also made heroes of might and magic VIII?)

EDIT:he was not responsible for HOMM series,my mistake as some one mentioned,thnx(sorry i forgot the name)

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 03:33.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo