Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory Patch

A patch is now available for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, updating the latest installment in the stealthy shooter series to version 1.03. Details on the update and the North American edition of the patch can be found on this page, while European editions of the patch are available on this FTP server. Some or all of the files are mirrored on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: No subject Jun 2, 2005, 23:59 Riley Pizt

Blame the pirates for making Ubi Soft use that kind of anti-piracy protection.
No, put the blame where it belongs: squarely on Ubisoft. It made the decision to add that copy-protection and also to hide that fact from the product packaging. Using draconian copy-protection like Starforce isn't going to make the game sell any better, and it's only going to cause more problems than it solves. Many Ubisoft games don't sell well simply because they are not good games from a consumer standpoint.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 00:00.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. No subject Jun 2, 2005, 05:37 TomeOne

Blame the pirates for making Ubi Soft use that kind of anti-piracy protection.

10. Re: If only... Jun 1, 2005, 22:31 Kris Redbeard

Whatever. The only reason why you guys don't like starforce is because you can't pirate it! Don't deny the truth. Just go out and buy the damn game!

In my case, you're wrong... so STFU!
I own the first two, as well as Ravenshield, FarCry etc, all of which are (unfortunately) UbiSoft games. I've had issues with most of them in one form or another (WTF? I have to use a crack to run Ravenshield?). As for not being to 'pirate it', you still can, so it doesn't stop anything.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 22:33.

GROUND BRANCH
Mature Classic Tactical First Person Shooter

9. Re: If only... Jun 1, 2005, 17:21 Jedi Master

I bought the game and SF sucks ass.

I can only run the game 1 out of every 3-5 times I try. The rest of the time it just spins the disc up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down ad nauseum. You can't even click "cancel" because the mouse dies while it's doing it! I have to EJECT the DVD from the drive, then reinsert it and try again.

Anyone with a DVD burner gets screwed by this "keyed" method. By contrast, I have another CD with SF on it (Lock On 1.1) that doesn't have a key, just needs the CD, and it works fast and every time.

Leave it Ubisoft to screw us, damn paranoid losers.

8. Re: If only... Jun 1, 2005, 14:44 Fantaz

Whatever. The only reason why you guys don't like starforce is because you can't pirate it! Don't deny the truth. Just go out and buy the damn game!

7. Re: If only... Jun 1, 2005, 07:32 Quboid

IMHO Starforce is a virus, or perhaps trojan. It installs it's self without permission and hampers use of the system. I like using cracked executables for conveinence (I always buy my games!) and this stops that which is a shame, but it's the virus nature that really bugs me. Frankly, I think what it does is illegal but I don't know for sure.

Quboid

- Quboid

6. Re: If only... Jun 1, 2005, 00:51 Jarek Forhanon

I apologise for my ignorance, but what, exacly, is it about this Starforce thing that everyone dislikes so much?

1) It installs stuff on your system that sucks up memory and space.
2) It decreases compatibility with CD and DVD drives.
3) It forces you to insert the disc whenever you play.
4) It prevents you from making back-up copies so if your original disc gets lost or broken, you'll have to buy a new copy.

Starforce is the epitome of overzealous protection schemes.

5. Re: If only... Jun 1, 2005, 00:07 sir

I apologise for my ignorance, but what, exacly, is it about this Starforce thing that everyone dislikes so much?

4. Re: If only... May 31, 2005, 21:51 Geese

Xbox version doesn't have the Starforce protection

But the co-op in Xbox version is sketchy as well as far as connection and lag issues. Probably using generic network code.

(prepares for inevitable console bashing...)

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio!
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

3. Coop mode May 31, 2005, 21:34 D4rkKnight

Coop is very sketchy in this game, it works fine for some, and doesnt work at all for others, and its definitly not a NAT issue (altough NAT does attribute problems).

This patch does nothing for coop.

2. Re: If only... May 31, 2005, 19:57 Kris Redbeard

it didn't have the StarForce copy protection method, then I'd buy it!

GROUND BRANCH
Mature Classic Tactical First Person Shooter

1. If only... May 31, 2005, 17:59 Viranth

more people would play this game online, it might be worth still having =(

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo