Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Armed Assault Announced (Updated)

The Armed Assault Press Release (thanks Tiscali Games) announces plans for a first-person combat game from Bohemia Interactive Studio, though reports that this is the new title for the project previously known as Operation Flashpoint 2 (story) are apparently incorrect, as this represents a new franchise, with more news on the Op Flashpoint series to follow. Here's word on the game, due in fourth quarter of this year, though no publisher has been announced:

Bohemia Interactive Studio is proud to announce the development of the first person combat game – ARMED ASSAULT.

Brought to you by the creators of Operation Flashpoint*: Armed Assault will reacquaint gamers with the ultimate in realistic, combat gaming.
Armed Assault features a new engine with a fresh modern setting. Freedom of action and immersive complex environments, blended with a unique touch of total simulation.

Get ready to explore massive environments. Combat intelligent enemies that try to outthink and outmaneuver you. Preserve the lives of yourself and your squad members in the heat of a modern armed conflict.

• Compatible with community created content
    • Large selection of playable military and civilian gear and vehicles
    • Fight for freedom in a new storyline
    • Map covering over 100 sq. km, in extreme detail
    • Comprehensive multiplayer support with join in progress
    • Customizable game with built-in mission editor

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. No subject May 20, 2005, 07:07 Nexus

You know one thing that would make it worthwhile for me? better netcode. I had no end of problems with the netcode of the original.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. bullshigarbage May 20, 2005, 06:12 buttbongfiesta

okay...well...there are screenshots for AA and for OPF2 now so....uh.....................................

if AA is just operation flashpoint 1.5 ill just get it from a friend and wait out opf2

whats the point...its like giving us farcry to hold us over for doom 3 and halflife 2...(although...farcry ended up being pretty sweet) but...you get the point.

17. Another perspective... May 19, 2005, 21:35 Hunterzyph

Is that they need seed money for developing OFP2 so they're attempting to use this as the vehicle, remember they don't have a publisher at the moment.

16. Re: Whatever May 19, 2005, 20:13 Sty

The world is round and game developers are in the business of making money. What else is new?

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

15. Re: Whatever May 19, 2005, 18:08 Shataan

Well, I played with a highly modded FP already. So imho, I already played 1.5. I think they need some dough. They know that there are a ton of FP fans out there who are desperate for a decent mil combat upgrade.

They need dough for their REAL next gen offering=FP 2. What is the easiest fastest way to get those funds? Release Armed Assault.

This comment was edited on May 19, 18:08.

14. Re: Whatever May 19, 2005, 17:09 Prez

Based on the success of the first game, I am wondering why the developers are futzing around with a pseudo-sequel and hinting at a real sequel. Why not just do a true OPFP sequel and satisfy those of us who have been waiting patiently for word on the next OFP game? The publisher / license theory makes sense - maybe that's it. But like others have stated here, I am hungry for some new info. C'mon Codemasters, throw us OPFP-lovers a frickin' bone!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Whatever May 19, 2005, 16:05 Hunterzyph

I don't care if they left the engine untouched. Gimme.

12. Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 15:41 Shataan

If all Armed Assault is, is OFP 1.5... I will wait for FP2.

11. Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 15:38 Sty

Basically Armed Assault is OFP 1.5. It's a revamped and prettier version of OFP and from what I can tell, most addons, etc. should be compatible with it from OFP 1. OFP2 is still a WiP and is aiming for some next-gen stuff. It's due sometime in 2006. Anyway, they do know how to cornfuse us all. Take a look in the forums for more info in the thread titled: "OFP2 now Armed Assault" (even though that title is now wrong).

Ahhh. Makes more sense. If I'm reading this right, it boils down to BIS is adjusting and repackaging all their work from VBS1 for the gaming market. Smart move and I look forward to it, as well as OFP2.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

10. Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 15:08 7.62WorldOrder

Well this is the best news I've heard all week. The only thing that could have been better would be an announcement that OFP2 was finished and shipping as we speak. But hell, this will hold me over just fine. I still play the original OFP to this day, and no other military game even comes close to touching the depth it contains. And the coop in the original was (IMO) far and away the best coop in any game I've ever played. I can't wait.

9. Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 14:28 changingman

Sounds great, and if the multiplayer is reworked from the original then I can't wait for more co-op action. The only other problem I had with OFP was that a few of the patches broke scripting in the user-made missions - I had a couple of games end with a helicopter taking off before we all had a chance to embark, or a trigger not going off correctly. If they can stick with a comprehensive scripting set then that would help matters.
But the mission editor was just genius - being able to sit on IRC and have someone make up a quick mission for us to play as everyone came up with ideas made it a great MP game, even if it wasn't very technically competent. This should be good.

8. Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 12:59 w-D

It's stated on the press release, there's no publisher for Armed Assault as for now.
And, armed assault is going to be using what the community used to call "ofp 1.5" engine (halfway between ofp1 and ofp2).
Join in progress was also something we all craved for (hoping it will also allow the identification of player id to allow REjoin in progress in case of accidental crash )

This is indeed a very good news, and hopefully will bring new people and bring back older ones to OFP (AA).
As it seems ofp user created content will be compatible, new players will most certainly very surprised with the incredible amound of custom addons.

7. Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 11:39 KaRRiLLioN

One of the forum mods at BIS's forums went to E3 and had some things to report.
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=9d8fe49c330a4fe22b5b45cee70f2ccb;act=ST;f=56;t=46429

Basically Armed Assault is OFP 1.5. It's a revamped and prettier version of OFP and from what I can tell, most addons, etc. should be compatible with it from OFP 1. OFP2 is still a WiP and is aiming for some next-gen stuff. It's due sometime in 2006. Anyway, they do know how to cornfuse us all. Take a look in the forums for more info in the thread titled: "OFP2 now Armed Assault" (even though that title is now wrong).

6. Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 11:26 changingman

It sounds a lot like OFP. It looks a lot like OFP. I'm sure if taste could be synthesized and sent over TCP/IP it would indeed taste like OFP. Are we sure it's not the Operation Flashpoint sequel? If this isn't it, I wonder what's in store for the Flashpoint franchise.

5. Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 11:16 Squirmer

The change of publisher is only a rumour, as far as I know.

Given the awful name of this game, I wonder if it's a version of Op Flashpoint aimed at a more mainstream audience ...

4. No subject May 19, 2005, 11:09 Elf Shot The Food

Didn't they change publishers? Codemasters probably owns the 'Flahspoint' name, so they had to change it.

3. Re: Ridiculous May 19, 2005, 10:41 Sty

A large number of them are trying to hop the language gap.

2. Sweet May 19, 2005, 10:41 Troll

Finally someone has the guts to not make a sequel or franchise game, despite having some good, potentially milkable IP. Can't wait to try this.

1. Ridiculous May 19, 2005, 10:31 Prez

You know, I'm not usually prone to tirades, but this shit is getting ridiculous. Why is it so hard for companies to be clear in their press releases. It almost seems that they intend to create confusion, perhaps hoping for some extra publicity as the real meanings are kicked around on forums.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo