Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Jagged Alliance 3D Lives

Game Factory Interactive sends word that reports that Jagged Alliance 3D has been renamed African Alliance (story) are erroneous, and that African Alliance is a new and separate project, being developed concurrently with both Jagged Alliance 3D and the similarly titled Jagged Alliance 3:

Jagged Alliance 3D was not canceled! Its development runs according to the schedule and very soon the audience will see new details of the project. As it was stated before, Jagged Alliance 3D is the sequel of the famous series of tactical turn-based games, presenting the new level of quality and following the best traditions of previous games. The unique turn-based system, high game world interaction, true physic and well-know characters - everything to make happy even the most zealous fans of JA.

Moreover, Mist Land development team is preparing to start the Jagged Alliance 3 (logical JA2 sequel) development. This project is on pre-production stage now and more information on it will be available later.

At the same time Mist Land South is in developing real time tactical strategy titled African Alliance. The official presentation of this project will take place at this year E3 show. This project has original story-line, unique style and characters and it’s not related to Jagged Alliance series. As far as we understand, this unannounced project was the reason that brought chaos to news lines and provoked false gossips about “one more Jagged Alliance”.

African Alliance will be announced in the nearest time. And official page of this project, where you could find more info about the game, will be open soon and could be found on Mist Land’s website! So, watch for our news and wait for official press-releases!

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: JA3D May 16, 2005, 21:43 exSFIer

Beamer
This series is dead. If the Curries and Chris Camfield aren't working on it, it isn't Jagged Alliance. A rose by any other name may smell as sweet, but a boxed dog turd is still a boxed dog turd even if it's called a rose.
Sadly, couldn't agree with you more. It was clearly stated by Don McFatridge several times that he wanted to milk the Jagged Franchise by creating a Jagged Alliance Tactics or what turned out to be JA3D.

Although Richard T. means well and has played a portion of the first Jag game he isn't a Jag expert. Also, to this day, there is simply no staff tracking Mistland's progress.

Back in the day, we had 3rd party producers tracking builds of a game called G.I. Combat. Just go peruse the reviews on www.gamerankings.com and see how well that worked out for them. Created by the designer of the Close Combat series, the suits were convinced this was supposed to be a million seller and rushed it out the door... sheesh.

Don't get me started on African Alliance. Just goes to show that SFI has very little control and no backbone in their dealings with Mistland.

This comment was edited on May 16, 21:44.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: No subject May 16, 2005, 17:00 Prez

So now they have THREE different Jagged Alliance titles in the works?

Better chance that one won't suck?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: No subject May 16, 2005, 16:01 Beamer

Xeno - exactly, yet this PR makes it seem as if they're now claiming they were always two separate games.

In reality AA is the game the developers want to make and JA3D is the one they're being forced to make.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: No subject May 16, 2005, 14:19 Xenopulse

Beamer,

>> Mistland begins JA3D. They say it is real-time. Strategy First says it is turn-based. Lines are clearly crossed. Mistland comes out and says it's now turn-based. They then say the work put into a real-time engine is now African Alliance, and they need to set the clock back on JA3D development, changing it a lot. <<

That sounds to me like: We renamed what we created as JA3D into AA, and start from scratch on a new, turn-based JA3D.

I.e., the real-time game just changed names.

5. Re: LOL May 16, 2005, 13:15 Alamar

Two JA games, 3 and 3D (wtf!), and African Alliance, which has nothing to do with JA, and should have been named something else, but of course it's about recognizability.

I can understand quick, visual, tycoon, sim, etc as useful recognizable words, but alliance just doesn't do it for me.

-Alamar

4. Re: No subject May 16, 2005, 13:12 Beamer

They're lying through their teeth. This is from what I gather stalking JA boards:

Strategy First has the JA rights, after SirTech and Sir-Tek died. They contracted Mistland to do two sequels, because Mistland works very, very cheap, and JA is really only popular in Europe, where Mistland is a bit more of a known name (not in a good way, though.)

Mistland begins JA3D. They say it is real-time. Strategy First says it is turn-based. Lines are clearly crossed. Mistland comes out and says it's now turn-based. They then say the work put into a real-time engine is now African Alliance, and they need to set the clock back on JA3D development, changing it a lot.

African Alliance only showed up because they screwed up JA3D. They are now reluctantly making JA3D turn based. A bad developer reluctantly making a game? I smell a bomb.

This series is dead. If the Curries and Chris Camfield aren't working on it, it isn't Jagged Alliance. A rose by any other name may smell as sweet, but a boxed dog turd is still a boxed dog turd even if it's called a rose.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. No subject May 16, 2005, 12:26 Elf Shot The Food

You can't tell the JA games apart without a scorecard!

2. Re: LOL May 16, 2005, 12:16 Moonbender

I predict that Mist Land will fold and all three projects will be canceled. Some of the developers however will start a new company and announce Jagged Alliance 4.

1. LOL May 16, 2005, 11:55 Creston

No such thing as overdoing it, huh?

Creston

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo