Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Unreal 3 Licensing

Epic Games announces another licensing deal for the next version of their Unreal engine, as Silicon Knights will be using the Unreal 3 engine for all their future "next-generation" games:

RALEIGH, May 11th, 2005 – Epic Games, one of the world’s leading developers of cutting-edge computer and video games and the pioneer of the award-winning Unreal® Engine, today announced that its Unreal Engine 3 technology and tools will be used exclusively in all next-generation games developed by Silicon Knights.

Silicon Knights best known for creating award winning titles such as Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes will now be utilizing the Unreal Engine 3 technology and tools to deliver its next generation games to fans worldwide. By using the Unreal Engine 3, Silicon Knights believes that it will be able to push the boundaries of games and take them beyond gamers’ wildest expectations.

View
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

85. Re: twat May 13, 2005, 04:17 Riley Pizt

Sounds like it's time you modded a different engine then, doesn't it?
I don't mod or edit games which require Steam because of the very reasons I listed. It's a shame Valve had to ruin modding for its games in the name of greed and control.

You will be safe from Valve's mind control then...
I said nothing about mind control. However, Steam does give Valve unprecedented control over and greatly limits how its customers play and otherwise use its games. That's not paranoia. Any rational person who has studied how Steam works and has read the Steam EULA would come to the same conclusion.

This comment was edited on May 13, 04:17.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

84. twat May 13, 2005, 03:35 MindTrigger

Sounds like it's time you modded a different engine then, doesn't it?

What you could do though, is make a tin foil hat, then fire up steam. You will be safe from Valve's mind control then...

---
i am still in side here. a little bit comes bleeding through.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

83. Re: No subject May 13, 2005, 01:21 Riley Pizt

I don't understand why people cry about Steam either. As far as being a "huge waste of resources," it doesn't even register on my CPU utilization, and takes up a whopping 2% of my RAM. BIIIIIG waste of resources. :-/
Steam does waste RAM. How much of an impact it has depends on your PC's resources. To see how much of an impact it can have, run the last version of Half-Life 1 without Steam on an old PC, and then try the Steam version. Steam is also extremely wasteful of hard drive space especially if you install all of the various Steam games and mods. That GCF file system is a big redundant and protected mess which makes game updates impossible to track since Valve provides no tools to create or access the GCF files and it makes modding and editing existing game content impossible.*

Steam is designed so that Valve can exercise control over when and how you play and edit the games you buy rent from Valve. If you are too ignorant to understand how Steam works or too lazy to read its EULA then of course you will find no fault with it.

My advice is that if you don't like it, don't buy it.
I have never purchased a Valve product which required Steam from its onset. However, Valve foisted Steam upon users of all of its products by requiring it for online play of its past titles.

I find it unobtrusive, easy to use, and I'd buy another game via Steam in a heartbeat.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

*Yes, a user-developed utility exists which can extract GCF file for the most part (at least until Valve changes the GCF file format again to break it), but it doesn't get around the need to still use the GCF files, and Steam's automatic update system will overwrite modified files if the version in the GCF gets updated. The fact that Valve never publicly provided a way to create or open GCF files in its editing tools makes it evident that Valve created the GCF file system to keep users from accessing it.

This comment was edited on May 13, 01:32.

82. Re: Unreal Engine Fees May 12, 2005, 13:29 Creston

Sigh. The bus transfer rate is completely and utterly irrelevant since that speed is only sustained for a few milliseconds before the whopping-huge 2-16 MB of cache runs out of data and has to fetch from platter again.

The sustained transfer rate of drives has not gone up dramatically in the intervening time -- back then it was around 40 MB/s for the fastest drives. Now it's around 70 MB/s for the fastest drives (71.8 for a 10K WD Raptor or 69.8 for a 400GB Seagate SATA) -- that's at the beginning of the disk. At the end of the disk it's considerably worse.

A) You'll notice, perhaps, that I said in my original post although drives don't sustain that transfer rate
Perhaps next time I will post it in big bright colors.

B) (70Mbs-40Mbs)/40Mbs = 75% speed increase. Yeah you're right, that really didn't gain any speed at all.

Creston

This comment was edited on May 12, 13:33.

81. Re: No subject May 12, 2005, 11:08 Gandhi

Remember back in the 90s when games were fun because of the gameplay? I'm amazed at how much detail can go into art/tech in games these days, but so rarely do we get that same amount of fucking detail in important areas such as gameplay, innovation, creativity, style (and no, not rehashing the same sci-fi/cyberpunk/rpg look every year slightly different doesn't count).

Pick up Psychonauts for the PC. Yeah it's a platformer in some respects, but it has all the other stuff you complain games no longer have.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

80. Re: No subject May 12, 2005, 11:00 nin

I don't understand why people cry about Steam either.

Some people feel that if they can't enjoy it, you shouldn't either...

I agree with ya, though...

If you look at your reflection, is that all you want to be? http://www.nin.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

79. No subject May 12, 2005, 10:36 StreetPreacher

I don't understand why people cry about Steam either. As far as being a "huge waste of resources," it doesn't even register on my CPU utilization, and takes up a whopping 2% of my RAM. BIIIIIG waste of resources. :-/

I find it unobtrusive, easy to use, and I'd buy another game via Steam in a heartbeat. I actualy much prefer it to buying a CD at the store.

My advice is that if you don't like it, don't buy it. You DO have a choice, you know.

78. Re: Rumors May 12, 2005, 10:25 Prez

Doesn't bother me one way or another, and I haven't had any problems with it.

I guess a lot of it comes down to one's tolerance for intrusive or cumbersome programs. I seem to be grumpier than most!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

77. Re: Rumors May 12, 2005, 07:37 Riley Pizt

I don't understand what is confusing about steam. I use it, seems simple enough to me. It's "different" than what we are use to, but that's all I can really say about it. Doesn't bother me one way or another, and I haven't had any problems with it.
Ignorance is bliss.

76. Re: Rumors May 12, 2005, 07:34 Riley Pizt

Because the WON master server is long dead?
Actually it isn't. WON master servers are still running since I know of a few games which still use them. However, the WON servers used for Half-Life 1 and its mods have been gone since last fall.

This comment was edited on May 12, 07:36.

75. Re: Rumors May 12, 2005, 03:04 MindTrigger

I don't understand what is confusing about steam. I use it, seems simple enough to me. It's "different" than what we are use to, but that's all I can really say about it. Doesn't bother me one way or another, and I haven't had any problems with it.

---
i am still in side here. a little bit comes bleeding through.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

74. Re: Rumors May 12, 2005, 02:52 Prez

Yeah but if I want the latest HL1 patch I understand I can only get it via Steam. Not the end of the world to be sure, but don't I have to log into steam just to play it with the latest patch on a LAN? I might be confused on this, but it just further illustrates to me what a confusing mess Steam is.

This comment was edited on May 12, 02:53.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

73. Re: Rumors May 12, 2005, 02:47 MindTrigger

Well, from seeing recent video of Unreal 3 engine, it looks like it can do everything the other big engines can do.. finally. I haven't liked any of the Unreal games since the original. It looked cartoony to me, as did all of the games built on it. Unreal 3 looks like it's dialed in now.

Some of you touched on this, but it's going to come down to ease of use now. It takes so damn long to build a game, even if you license the engine, that developers want the easiest engine they can get their hands on. If you look at the top engines right now, they are all pretty much on par or close enough, so why use id or valve if unreal is easier.. you know?

This is also why middleware, such as Havoc, is so attractive. Middleware is the future for gaming. Without it, it's going to start to take companies the size of microsoft to build anything "advanced" in gaming.

Frankly, it's going to take a huge leap in graphics from now on to impress anyone. After playing with HL2, and Doom 3, and seeing countless screenshots of games like STALKER, it all looks the same. I actually thought DOOM3 looked really plastic. However I assume it's capable of HL2 style art as well. We are starting to get pretty close to photo-realism.

I read an interview somewhere where Carmack talked about making an engine that could be used for rapidly developing games, or even theater quality 3d movies (such as toy story or whatever). He's said lots of other things in the past he didn't end up doing as well, so who knows if that will go anywhere.

---
http://www.oceas.com/SpreadFireFox
"I know it's a dick move. That's why I'm paying for your meal." - NPH

--

72. Re: Rumors May 12, 2005, 00:50 Scottish Martial Arts

Why do I need steam to play HL1 now when I didn't 5 years ago?

71. Re: Rumors May 11, 2005, 23:21 Prez

Gotta say that I'm disappointed that the newest Sven Co-op mod needs to be run in steam. Why do I need steam to play HL1 now when I didn't 5 years ago? Grrr!

- Mahatma Gandhi

70. Re: Rumors May 11, 2005, 21:56 Riley Pizt

you only have to open steam when you play a game
Oh that's the only time you have to worry about it, eh? What a relief! I only have to put up with Steam's huge waste of resources and hard drive space and its authentication and mandatory updating (which can take a long time to download or is unavailable) when I want to actually play one of games which requires it. LOL!

It shouldn't have been designed as a tray application
It shouldn't have been designed at all, or at least not made mandatory to use just to play a game especially Valve's past titles.

This comment was edited on May 11, 22:02.

69. Re: Rumors May 11, 2005, 21:47 Riley Pizt

I'm still always surprised less games are licensing technology. Building technology takes a long, long time.
I'm not because your second statement is wrong. As DirectX has evolved, the ability to build a game around it has gotten much, much easier than the early days. XNA should make it even easier. The DirectX 9 SDK is basically an engine right now. Add a third-party physics engine, and you got everything you need for building the game from rendering with scripted shaders, audio, music, networking with text chat and lobby support, input device support with force-feedback, voice chat, and model format support built-in. With C# as the new language of preference by Microsoft, building a game using it and DirectX has substantially simplified the process. That is why there are so many games in development and even released which are built around home-grown DirectX 9 engines. With XNA, that trend should really accelerate.

The big name publishers will still likely choose a AAA engine like Unreal for its cross-platform capabilities and the cachet. However, for PC-only games and (if XNA lives up to its billing) XBOX games as well, using a licensed engine really doesn't make economic sense if the developer already has some good programmers (and it should to build a decent game).

This comment was edited on May 13, 01:55.

68. Re: Rumors May 11, 2005, 21:15 Beamer

um... you only have to open steam when you play a game... take it off the startup list.

Way ahead of you. But I still tend to leave it on for future gaming. And it still eats an unholy amount of processes when idle.

It shouldn't have been designed as a tray application. Just poor form.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

67. good question May 11, 2005, 21:14 aavenr

<quote>Speaking of other engines, I was always curious why the Max Payne engine was never picked up... it was the best looking thing around for quite a while... and unlike most of the other engines mentioned, it ran great on lower end hardware -- you didn't need a ton of horse power to run it.</quote>

You are absolutely right, both Max Payne 1 and Max Payne 2 were undeniably the best looking games when they came out and the engine runs amazingly well on not so high-end rigs. However as someone who has been modding for it over the last couple of years I can tell you it was tailor-made for the MP games and it's not really flexible to other game-types or other level/art scenarios than the ones featured on the MP games. Also, the level editor has very primitive modeling tools and doesn't really sport many features than other editors do. But boy, the Remedy guys did such an AMAZING work with the limited editor they had that you would never guess this.

66. No subject May 11, 2005, 20:31 Elf Shot The Food

Just a guess on my part, but licensing the Unreal engine allows developers to get lots of outside talent to work on their games, people who have been making maps, player models, mods, textures, etc., for various Unreal-engined games for years.

85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo