Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Asheron's Call 2

Turbine announces the North American availability of Asheron’s Call 2: Legions, the expansion for Asheron’s Call 2: Fallen Kings. Here's the shipping announcement for the MMORPG, which is Turbine's first self published title:

WESTWOOD, Mass. – May 4, 2005 – Turbine, Inc., a leading publisher of online subscription entertainment, announced today that the highly-anticipated massively multiplayer online game Asheron’s Call 2: Legions™ is available now at retail chains throughout North America. The game will be available in Europe on May 6.

The long-awaited expansion pack to Asheron’s Call 2: Fallen Kings® marks the first game to be funded, developed and published entirely by Turbine. With Legions, Turbine has taken the first of many steps beyond its original role as a contract developer and added the responsibilities of marketing and launch efforts, effectively positioning the company as a full-scale publisher.

“Launching Asheron’s Call 2: Legions is the beginning of a new era for Turbine,” said Tom Nichols, vice president of marketing, Turbine, Inc. “Not only will we continue to develop great games based on some of the world’s most compelling properties, but as a publisher we will now be able to oversee the entire process. Every step in delivering a title is now under Turbine’s direction and is held up to the company’s high standards.”

Turbine is working with Station Publishing to distribute Asheron’s Call 2: Legions in North America. Turbine also partnered with Codemasters to distribute the game throughout Europe.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: ok May 5, 2005, 14:34 Kxmode

I really wish these moron marketers would quit using the phrase "Highly Anticipated" .

There ain't nothing "highly anticipated" about AC 2, nor 90% of the other crap that's out there in the WHOLE gaming industry... including games that aren't MOGs.

Well this would be highly anticipated for the 15k subscribers. You aren't a subscriber so you're not highly anticipating this game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. AC2 is not AC1 May 5, 2005, 14:31 Kxmode

I was a diehead fan of AC1, so when AC2 was announced myself and many of my friends figured this new game would basically be AC1 with uber graphics. Well we were thoroughly crushed when we found out AC2 was some sort of quasi-parallel universe. With in a month I cancelled my subscription and haven't looked back. Turbine needs to get it in their thick skulls that all the fans of Asheron's Call really wanted in the sequel was AC1 continuing storyline with AC2 bustling graphics. They still haven't delivered...

24. Re: ok May 5, 2005, 10:22 Debaser

If a game falls flat in the forest, will anybody hear it?

It's quite clear that they do, just look at all the people who gather to feast on the entrails...

23. No subject May 5, 2005, 07:22 Number{9}

AC2 has improved a lot since it's intial release. This new expansion looks awsome.

-------------------
Gaming in Wedlock fledgling web comic
http://www.rogue-penguin.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12

-------------------
Ignore me!!!

22. No subject May 5, 2005, 03:02 D4rkKnight

OK MS sold the rights of AC to Turbine awhile back, so Turbine is not on MS's strings anymore basically.

This comment was edited on May 5, 03:05.

21. Re: ok May 4, 2005, 20:20 Lactose The Intolerant

What is up with this press release? They don't describe what is in this expansion at all.

20. Re: ok May 4, 2005, 19:31 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

*giggles*

This comment was edited on May 4, 19:33.

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

19. Re: ok May 4, 2005, 18:18 SquirrelZero

My comment:

"People don't fund their own games if they're not making good money from them, nor do they create sequels of games that don't earn any of said money. Could it be? Could you be wrong and they might really know what they're doing?"

Your answer, including my actual quote:

"People don't fund their own games if they're not making good money from them"

"The fact that blood rayne 2 and prince of persia 2 were made seems to go against this."

The news post:

"The long-awaited expansion pack to Asheron’s Call 2: Fallen Kings® marks the first game to be funded, developed and published entirely by Turbine."

Your incredible stupidity for not realizing you answered a quote about self-funding with 2 games that had absolutely nothing to do with self funding:

Priceless.

---------
Pandora Studios programmer
http://www.pandora-studios.com

18. leading? May 4, 2005, 18:17 Shadowcat

Turbine's first self published title
Turbine, Inc., a leading publisher of online subscription entertainment
Does anyone else find the juxtaposition of those two statements a little odd?

This comment was edited on May 4, 18:24.

17. Re: ok May 4, 2005, 18:15 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

I really wish these moron marketers would quit using the phrase "Highly Anticipated"

Hah I can't wait to hear the press release for the repackaged version of WW2OL that will be hitting the shelves by either next month or July.

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

16. Re: ok May 4, 2005, 17:43 wtf_man

I really wish these moron marketers would quit using the phrase "Highly Anticipated" .

There ain't nothing "highly anticipated" about AC 2, nor 90% of the other crap that's out there in the WHOLE gaming industry... including games that aren't MOGs.

15. Re: ok May 4, 2005, 17:31 Kobalt

I was under the impression Blood Rayne and PoP2 sold quite well for the consoles. Probably not for the PC, but that speaks as much about the platform as the games.

Blood rayne 1 sold like shit, as did prince of persia 1. Part 2 for both seems to have done better though.

14. Re: ok May 4, 2005, 17:28 Beamer

Sequels get made for poor performing games all the time. I wish more often, actually, as many of the best games out there are poor performing, at least outside of the action genre.

I was under the impression Blood Rayne and PoP2 sold quite well for the consoles. Probably not for the PC, but that speaks as much about the platform as the games.

I mean, Blood Rayne sold well enough for Uwe Boll to be granted the movie rights!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: ok May 4, 2005, 17:25 Kobalt

ould you please provide me links and/or google searches that show that PoP 2 and Bloodrayne 2 were both self-funded?

Could you please provide me links and/or google searches that show that AC2 was self funded? Well actually don't because I fail to see the point.

Or are you implying AC1 was a smash sucess?

12. Re: ok May 4, 2005, 17:06 SquirrelZero

Yeah that wasn't confrontational or anything. It was an intelligent conversation until you stepped in, smeared stupid all over it, then walked away with your ass in your mouth thinking you had any idea what you were talking about.

Could you please provide me links and/or google searches that show that PoP 2 and Bloodrayne 2 were both self-funded? Because i searched pretty hard and couldn't find anything about either, only that PoP 3 would be self-funded. And considering that this was what the original conversation was about, i wouldn't want to make you look incredibly stupid or anything if you brought up 2 games that weren't even self-funded. Thanks.

---------
Pandora Studios programmer
http://www.pandora-studios.com

11. Re: ok May 4, 2005, 17:03 Alamar

Uh no dumbshit, unlike you I look at the numbers of sales, which bloodrayne and prince of persia barely had any of.

hahahaha.

You are not cute and should stop trying, of course im talking about the recently released ones faggot.

hahahaha.

Oh so all of a sudden we might know what the fuck we are talking about when we say AC2 didnt make a ton of money, guess you googled the numbers and realize how retarded you sound.

hahahaha.

Seriously; thank you. That kind of response is exactly what I needed : )

And I know it's practically minimum wage, but I really feel as if I should get some day-care pay for this.

-Alamar

10. No subject May 4, 2005, 17:01 Rain

"Fear leads to Anger. Anger leads to Hate. Hate leads to suffering." ~ Yoda  

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

9. Re: ok May 4, 2005, 16:54 Kobalt

Just because you and a bunch of forum posters don't like some games/franchises/etc doesn't mean they don't make enough money to want to make a sequel.

Uh no dumbshit, unlike you I look at the numbers of sales, which bloodrayne and prince of persia barely had any of.

And are you referring to PoP 2 or 6? Or 5?

You are not cute and should stop trying, of course im talking about the recently released ones faggot. How the fuck do you even bring up the fact that a REVIVED(keyword) series had a lot of sequels like 10+ years ago is beyond me.

I hear pacman was quite popular and had many offshoots,then no game was made for like 10 years. Recently new pacman games have been made and obviously the fact that 10 years ago they sold well they must be doing well today right?

No

As for why sequels of games that aren't stellar get made, there are a ton of reasons.

Oh so all of a sudden we might know what the fuck we are talking about when we say AC2 didnt make a ton of money, guess you googled the numbers and realize how retarded you sound.

8. Re: ok May 4, 2005, 16:11 Duncan

http://www.mmogchart.com/

Asheron's Call II has 15,000 subscribers.

I.e., nothing.

7. Re: ok May 4, 2005, 16:04 Alamar

The fact that blood rayne 2 and prince of persia 2 were made seems to go against this.

Just because you and a bunch of forum posters don't like some games/franchises/etc doesn't mean they don't make enough money to want to make a sequel.

And are you referring to PoP 2 or 6? Or 5?

As for why sequels of games that aren't stellar get made, there are a ton of reasons. For one, the industry is all about sequels upon sequels of established IP (Intellectual property - worlds, characters, etc) because it's hard to start with nothing, but a sequel that improves upon a franchise with a rough start is guaranteed to be more cost-efficient.

-Alamar

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo