Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Vietcong 2 Announced

2K Games announces plans for Vietcong 2, a sequel to the Vietnam War military shooter. Here's the first screenshot from the project, and here's the brief announcement of the game, which we've confirmed is being developed by Pterodon, the folks behind the original Vietcong:

New York, NY – April 29, 2005 – 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced Vietcong 2 for the PC, the follow-up to the critically acclaimed Vietcong and the expansion pack Vietcong: Fist Alpha.

“The first Vietcong was a big success for us,” said Christoph Hartmann, Senior Vice President of Publishing for 2K Games. “Almost two years after its initial release, there are still hundreds of servers and thousands of gamers playing Vietcong all day, every day. With Vietcong 2 we intend to give hardcore fans and newcomers alike an even bigger and better experience.”

With its brand new 3D engine, all-new single player campaign and new multiplayer modes, Vietcong 2 aims to improve on the acclaimed gameplay of the first game, while presenting a completely new experience.

Vietcong 2 is planned for release on PC in late 2005. For more information please visit www.2kgames.com.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Nice Apr 30, 2005, 21:32 Prez

This is the best news I've seen all week!

Yeah, it's about time for some happy news! I keep reading about how the industry is broken, PC games are going the way of the Dodo, Steam is Satan's creation (still think there's a possibility this might be true...) etc. It is also great to see that a major patch is coming for Dawn of War - another great game.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Nice Apr 30, 2005, 09:58 Two_Sheds

I absolutely loved Vietcong. I reinstalled it the other day and am loving it AGAIN. This is the best news I've seen all week!

16. Re: Nice Apr 30, 2005, 07:43 Kevlar

Mouse input was a little insensitive/funky, but I still played VC to death anyway.

Those snipers, btw - you can pop them from the village. Spotting them and not getting shot is the difficult part.

15. Re: Nice Apr 30, 2005, 05:04 Shadowcat

missions like the one where you goto a village to talk to the chief and there are snipers on the nearby hills taking pot shots at you, with only open ground between you and them.
Are you talking about the very first mission? Where your squadmates regularly let loose with covering fire to allow you to get from cover point to cover point until you're at the hill side and the snipers can't see you any more?

If so, there's no way you should have been trying to take out the sniper from long range, and the guys even state that they're going to lay down the covering fire for you so you can get closer.

As long as you know where the sniper is (and I didn't even spot him the first time, but remember your binoculars (B)), there's enough cover available.

14. Re: blah Apr 30, 2005, 01:16 Prez

I thought Vietcong was a terrible game in nearly all respects.

Different strokes for different folks! Can't have everyone in the world liking the same thing.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Nice Apr 30, 2005, 00:38 Krovven

I went back and tried Vietcong about 6 months ago, but couldnt play it because the mouse movement wasn't at all accurate. It jumped several millimeters whenever moved, so making those long distance shots was very difficult, which sucked ass on missions like the one where you goto a village to talk to the chief and there are snipers on the nearby hills taking pot shots at you, with only open ground between you and them.

Hopefully this doesnt exist in the new game.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

12. Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 21:59 Shataan

You want frustration???? Go play MoV for awhile. that game is an exercise in frustration. rofl

11. No subject Apr 29, 2005, 21:31 Shadowcat

I bought Vietcong only about a week ago and have been playing the single-player game since, and it rocks hard. I do agree that the tunnel rat sequences are too long -- the real joy of the game lies in the open-air firefights, thanks to the game's awesome focus on use of cover, and the integrated features that allow you to make optimal use of it. The game's atmosphere is also incredible; especially when you're with your squad.

My only complaint is the checkpoint saves. Mostly I don't mind -- they force you to play the game properly -- but from time to time they've really got me frustrated. That's only a single-player issue, though. I haven't even had a chance to play co-op yet, but I'm really looking forward to it, as I hear great things. And then there's the "Red Dawn" 300MB expansion pack that was recently released for free download.

I highly recommend it! The game should cost you very little, and will get you all fired up for the sequel

Check out the demos and trailers at
http://www.pterodon.com/?download
or
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/vietcong/downloads/

10. Re: Nice Apr 29, 2005, 19:08 Shataan

Finally, a Nam game that will do it right. Suck it up 2015, and nFusion. lol

9. Re: Nice Apr 29, 2005, 17:14 nimski

Vietcong was a great game. It captured something really unique with regard to taking cover when under fire. Somehow it worked... and it worked great. An enemy under fire couldn't be killed unless flanked, and the exact same happened with regard to you and your team.

8. blah Apr 29, 2005, 16:36 Charlie_Six

I thought Vietcong was a terrible game in nearly all respects. The only mission I enjoyed was the one where you defend the hill from attackers from all sides. Eh check my review on epinions.com

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

7. No subject Apr 29, 2005, 16:32 Tim1_2

I also thought the singleplayer was AWESOME. That one mission towards the end when you're defending your camp from an all-out assault was WICKED! Multi-player was rock-solid fun too! Definitely one of the most underrated first-person shooters ever! Can't wait for #2....  
Currently playing: DayZ

6. Re: Nice Apr 29, 2005, 15:10 Halsy

Yep. Loved the SP campaign for the game. Multiplayer was weak though. Too many hax. The jungle enviroments suck for MP as it just becomes a camp/snipe fest, *yawn*.

"I am an evil giraffe, and I shall eat more leaves from this tree then prehaps I should, so that other giraffes may die"
- Eddie Izzard

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

5. No subject Apr 29, 2005, 14:01 Prez

The only way Vietcong was lacking imho was its tunnel-rat excursions. They just ran on for far too long. Other than that, BRILLIANT! Can't wait for Vietcong 2

- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Nice Apr 29, 2005, 13:56 C_A_P

Yea man, I agree. Vietcong was brilliant. The single player was also extremely well done. The feel of the whole game, as snide said, is just unequaled in todays current batch of shooters.

It's multiplayer still , in my opinion, has some of the best AI bots around. The coop missions, the unique gametypes, the brilliant maps...everything about this game just rocked. I know I sound likea fanboy here, but I was kind of dissapointed at the fact that this game didn't get the respect that it deserved.

3. Re: Nice Apr 29, 2005, 13:37 snide

The original was a truly under rated multiplayer masterpiece. I'm guessing they are just updating their custom engine, which while not the prettiest girl in school, had the best vegitation ever.

The great thing about vietcong was that it's the only game ive played where you can actually hide in the environment correctly. It had a really cool bait and cover feel to it's team based MP that really doesn't have an equal in the current market.

dave snider
mp3.com | guzzlefish.com

dave snider
comicvine.com

2. Re: Nice Apr 29, 2005, 13:03 nin

That does look nice...wonder if that's a custom engine, or a license?

May 3rd, 2005 - "We are preparing to destroy you." http://www.nin.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Nice Apr 29, 2005, 12:16 changingman

That's quite an impressive screenshot. The dense jungle vegetation is nicely done, and the guy's face looks very detailed without being noticably fake. Might even be a bit too real, if there is such a thing.

The first game must have completely slipped me by, as I have no recollection of it or how well received it might have been. A good Vietnam game would make a welcome change to the more common settings that have been bled dry of originality, and in some cases have started to reek of plagarism.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo