Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

HL2 Aftermath Screenshot, Counter-Strike: Source Plans

A new Steam Update (thanks Shacknews) has a screenshot with a sneak peak of the upcoming Aftermath episode for Half-Life 2, along with word on plans for the next Counter-Strike Source update:

The next big Counter-Strike release is set to include two maps. The first map will be de_port, previously mentioned here. This map is set in a resupply port for outgoing ships. The gameplay is designed for a balanced layout employing a mix of long sightlines with cover and close quarters fighting environments. The second map will be a completely redone de_inferno, a historical favorite at CS tournaments and competions. We'll be releasing some screenshots or other media from both of these maps in the next week or two.

View
107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

107. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2005, 19:43 Prez

...Valve made a good game...

YES!

...Steam is a good tool...

NOOOOOOOO!

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 19:44.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

106. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2005, 19:05 Creston

Call me a fanboy if you want. Valve made a good game, and I think Steam is a good tool. It's pretty strange for a Bluesnews comment, but I don't have any bitching.

Please go away. We don't need your boundless optimism here.

Creston

105. Re: Undead Scottsman Apr 18, 2005, 18:38 Zephalephelah

I think that the backlash was apparent to them & among the choices available was the choice of 'just keep quiet & it will go away'.

ID Software made a huge amount of money off DOom3 because they hyped it so damned much that everyone thought it was going to be as awesome as Q3A or the original Doom. But even they know how much their piece of shit Doom3 sells for one Ebay.

I think they are really taking a look in the mirror and asking hard questions; perhaps even why they're doing this at all. Doom3 sucked bad. The major reason was most likely everyone sucking up & not speaking their mind. They should have sent a beta to Bluesnews patrons. We would have ripped it to shreds, but at least when it was reworked Doom3 would have been a great game.

104. Re: ... Apr 18, 2005, 06:34 Undead Scottsman

It's still cool that Valve is doing this at all. They don't have to.

Well, it's kind of expected now-a-days. Valve did it with Half-Life, Epic does it with all the unreal games, and even id does it... Or at least id used to do it.. Not sure what's up with Doom 3.

With Quake III we at least got a point release with new models and stuff and Quake II had tons of crap put out for it by id (128 and 64 player maps; v-weps; tons of patches; dm maps after release; commissioned threewave CTF) But with Doom 3, all we've gotten is a single patch and an overpriced expansion. I wonder what happened?

103. ... Apr 18, 2005, 05:29 Zephalephelah

It's still cool that Valve is doing this at all. They don't have to.

102. Re: Who remembers... Apr 18, 2005, 04:40 SquirrelZero

Hey Dagok, when you find a legal way to "fix" the problem of having to go into online mode to update Steam, and therefore receive updates for any other games you've purchased as well as any spam Valve feels like sending you, let me know.

The hacked bittorrent patches to CSS and HL2 the pirating groups are forced to release because Valve refuses to don't count.

---------
Pandora Studios programmer
http://www.pandora-studios.com

101. Re: Who remembers... Apr 17, 2005, 20:06 Beamer

I agree completely. It was a great mod until around beta 6.

I started playing just before beta 3 came out. I loved it. Was it beta 4 that gave us knives? Funny, I hardly see them used now, but in the early days we NEEDED them, every gun on the level would be depleted and you'd often have guys sitting, staring, unarmed.

I also remember gun running, haha.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

100. Re: Who remembers... Apr 17, 2005, 19:19 Malakai

Heh my bro has beta 1 of CS somewhere. I remember playing it and it was a laugh. Ok the hostage AI was appalling and the textures were a bit bad, but it was a good fun mod. In fact it was a great mod until approx beta6/7 when a shiteload of people started playing it and started cheating too. Not to mention some iffy changes in the way weapons handled and stuff

99. Re: Who remembers... Apr 17, 2005, 19:15 Prez

Wouldn't it make sense then to at least give it a year to see what HL2 modders can turn out before we decry the death of the mod scene?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

98. Re: Who remembers... Apr 17, 2005, 18:52 Mad Max RW

It was almost a year before the first releases of CS. And back then it sucked horrible ass. Nobody liked it. The models sucked, sounds were ripped from Rainbow 6, and was practically unplayable. TFC made the multiplayer scene take off. I don't remember precisely when it came out, but I do remember thinking for the longest time how much HL's multiplayer sucked until it finally did.

97. Who remembers... Apr 17, 2005, 17:39 Prez

Does anyone remember how long the original HL was out before counterstrike came out? I don't.

- Mahatma Gandhi

96. Re: What story? Apr 17, 2005, 17:19 Prez

Instead we get a few vague clues and don't really find out what has happened until we read about it on the internet from someone who has the guide.

Without spoilers, if possible, what was it that you didn't get from the game that you later figured out from the guide? Your point may well be valid but having never read the guide, I don't know.

- Mahatma Gandhi

95. Re: What story? Apr 17, 2005, 16:34 Nachoman

One thing I keep hearing over and over by HL2 critics is that the story is non-existent. I wonder, does every story for every game have to be told between the gameplay, as in cutscenes, movies, etc? I think that the true potential of the medium as far as storytelling goes is to let the player live the story through gameplay rather read it in a manual or watch it in a 20 minute cut scene. For me, HL2 did this better than anything else out there. The story may not have been revolutionary, but the means of telling it was to me...

Funny you mention that because that seems to be the main defence of the story; that you aren't force fed it, and you have to discover it for yourself. It was even confirmed by Valve in an interview a while back that this was intentional. So, with that said...

Why didn't they take more of an opportunity to let the player interact with the environment and uncover the truth? stuff to read on walls, more conversations to overhear, people giving their POV of the situation, things to see and do in the labs, anything that doesn't directly give away the story, but rather enriches it.

Instead we get a few vague clues and don't really find out what has happened until we read about it on the internet from someone who has the guide. If you want people to uncover the story by themselves, then you need to actually provide the clues, not vagueness. imo of course.

94. Re: Maybe the FPS genre is just going st Apr 17, 2005, 16:22 Prez

Well, I'm trying to be the lone voice in the wilderness, but I feel so alone.

- Mahatma Gandhi

93. Re: I don't think so Apr 17, 2005, 16:22 Mad Max RW

Are there any good single player episodes yet? I was part way through making one (finals will mean it's on hold for a bit ) but I haven't seen any really decent ones. Nothing They Hunger or Freeman's Revenge like

DasRoboss, a recently released singleplayer episode is surprisingly good. It's like a cross between HL1 and 2 with some crazy bullshit thrown in. Plus some of the levels are a bit more open, not unlike Deus Ex.

92. Re: Maybe the FPS genre is just going st Apr 17, 2005, 16:00 Undead Scottsman

Ahh, a thread about bashing Half-Life 2 is once again the #1 popular thread this week...

Welcome home, Blues news... Welcome home...

91. What story? Apr 17, 2005, 15:34 Prez

One thing I keep hearing over and over by HL2 critics is that the story is non-existent. I wonder, does every story for every game have to be told between the gameplay, as in cutscenes, movies, etc? I think that the true potential of the medium as far as storytelling goes is to let the player live the story through gameplay rather read it in a manual or watch it in a 20 minute cut scene. For me, HL2 did this better than anything else out there. The story may not have been revolutionary, but the means of telling it was to me...

- Mahatma Gandhi

90. Re: I don't think so Apr 17, 2005, 15:14 Scottish Martial Arts

Are there any good single player episodes yet?

Nothing as good as the base game yet but Return of the Resistance and Dos Roboss are both pretty fun.

89. Re: Apr 17, 2005, 14:48 Tango

Maybe not so much shotgun and machine gun ammo in D3, so you had to use the more prized weapons you were saving for real trouble.
I'm glad I wasnt the only one to be saving my ammo for Hell, only to have it all taken away.

88. Re: I don't think so Apr 17, 2005, 14:30 Tango

Aside from that there is already a fairly large variety of fan made single and multiplayer maps available for the core game.
Are there any good single player episodes yet? I was part way through making one (finals will mean it's on hold for a bit :() but I haven't seen any really decent ones. Nothing They Hunger or Freeman's Revenge like

107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo