Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quake 4 Update

Activision sends along a single new Quake 4 screenshot, along with updated info on the upcoming shooter sequel in the works at Raven Software:

QUAKE 4 Updated Info.

Earth is under siege by an alien race. The Strogg are cybernetic warriors--a mechanical frame and decaying body parts stabilized by flesh consumed in a systematic annihilation of other species and civilizations. In a desperate attempt to survive a Strogg attack on Earth, an armada of Earth's finest warriors is sent to take the battle to the Strogg home planet. Earth's initial assault force is nearly annihilated immediately, but one marine manages to infiltrate the base, bring down their planetary defense systems, and kill the Strogg's collective brain and leader--the Makron. Earth assumed the destruction of the Makron would end it all, but it didn't.

That's where QUAKE II leaves off and QUAKE 4 begins.

The Strogg are quickly regrouping. However, with the Strogg’s planetary defenses still destroyed, Earth's forces can deliver a full and final assault. This time, you're not alone. You are Matthew Kane, an elite member of Rhino Squad, and part of Earth’s next invasion wave. An army of soldiers are fighting with you and an arsenal of weapons and vehicles are at your disposal in this heroic and epic battle between worlds.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2005, 16:07 kanniballl

AVP2. now that game had atmosphere. Multiplayer was none too shabby either. would put it up there in the best 5 shooters ive ever played. Farcry might be in there too btw ...

Agreed. The single-player aspect was astounding and the multi-player was pretty good as well. I gotta install that game again.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. No subject Apr 22, 2005, 06:05 Ledge

AVP2. now that game had atmosphere. Multiplayer was none too shabby either. would put it up there in the best 5 shooters ive ever played. Farcry might be in there too btw ...

60. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2005, 12:55 Choachy

As long as there is a good multiplayer scene and I dont need a loan to upgrade my system to play it, I would give it a whirl.

59. Re: No subject Apr 20, 2005, 17:12 jm0ris0n

haha someone posted this on shacknews

http://home.comcast.net/%7Emr9000/q4_jj.jpg

Mayor Dan

ROFL !

58. Re: Wow Apr 17, 2005, 15:24 Prez

Personally i think Q4 will play just like Q2 except with D3 graphics.

God, I hope so! Awesome!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

57. Re: Wow Apr 17, 2005, 09:10 Malakai

Nipples: The bigger the better.

Not if they slowly become tit burgers/chocolate digestives, or as a worst case scenario: Furry Tit Burgers. Had an experiance with the latter (FTB) and let me tell you, i was ever so slightly freaked out. I say ever so slightly, what i did was looked, froze, turned around, walked out the door, and just walked back to my room in a daze. Not nice.

Oh and i do remember Lithium Quake2. That was very good indeed. Although i do think the best mod for Q2 was Action Q2. Much better than the HL version of it.

Personally i think Q4 will play just like Q2 except with D3 graphics. Not necessarily a bad thing at all.

Just wondering though, are there any psycological horror FPS games out? Like a game thats basically the "Haunted Hotel" mission in Vampire: Bloodlines all the way through? I much prefer that sort of media where you dont have to see something scary to get scared, but instead theres a constant tension building with wierd noises, strange sights and just generally freaky things happening (that man with the axe walking slowly towards me freaked me out so much in the boiler room of the hotel).

56. Re: No subject Apr 17, 2005, 00:50 Guye

bah, off-hand grapples suck

55. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2005, 23:40 ExcessDan

at least bring back grappling hook CTF!

All I want is a damned updated version of lithium q2. It had the red beam grappling hook and the multi coloured powerups. I think I'm the only one that remembers this.

Mayor Dan
------------
"Take me Jesus, take me Allah, rape me in my room
Torch our days in paranoia while we gorge ourselves on gloom"

ExcessDan

54. Amazing... Apr 16, 2005, 18:11 Prez

it is truly amazing how much can be determined about a game's quality from 1 screenshot...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

53. No subject Apr 16, 2005, 18:04 space captain

holy jesus no, no, no!!!!!

the quake 2 color pallette is horrid, and we had to endure it for so long in so many permutations... not again!!

at least bring back grappling hook CTF!

so much money, where does it all come from? we're paying for democracy, never mind the bomb... so much money, what does it do? it puts them in power where they shit on you

- Subhumans

Go forth, and kill!

52. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2005, 16:00 Fantaz

Talk about purple nurple! Give me some videos!

51. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2005, 13:10 MyRealName

WOW! Awesome screenshot!! I've never seen it before!!!

Oh wait, yes I have. For a year. Seriously guys, how about a new one?

50. Re: Wow Apr 16, 2005, 12:00 Xenos Overdrive

Might I also add the screenshot is 4000x3000? Can anyone's video card run that? I think not...

Shit...I was running that *at least* that resolution on my Thinkpad...."Can anyone's video card run that?" what are you talking about??

49. Re: Wow Apr 16, 2005, 11:52 human

Because it'll run at lower res, you have the make the nipples bigger so they still show up at 1024x768. This is a basic tenet of game character design. Christ, you ignorant people.

Nipples: The bigger the better.

48. Re: Wow Apr 16, 2005, 11:01 Enahs

No, this is my main gripe with the doom 3 engine, far too much relience on normal maps and facny effects and not on geometric detail.

The problem is, they do have more geometry than even the amazing realistic models in HL2.

Why then do they look so bumpy? Because everybody to date using the Doom3 engine feels the need to make cybernetic monsters! God damn it! This means that half the polygons are going to auxiliary stuff, like all the points and edges and crap that is on his body. If they made a normal human with normal clothes, it could look way freakin’ smoother. But even Doom3s normal humans faces looked like crap, because they had the body armor with all the odd geometry.

I am sure I will give it a play…I just wish somebody would try something different with the damn Doom3 engine for a change.

.sigs are for losers…

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

47. Re: Wow Apr 16, 2005, 10:33 Smoove

Might I also add the screenshot is 4000x3000? Can anyone's video card run that? I think not... which means you (probably) won't be able to see all the little faults because you'll run the game in less than half the resolution (or even a third...I run at 1280x1024).

46. Re: Wow Apr 16, 2005, 10:32 Chipper

No, this is my main gripe with the doom 3 engine, far too much relience on normal maps and facny effects and not on geometric detail.  
Gather 'round children and i'll tell you a tale,
Of chipper the ripper the chipmunk from hell

45. Re: Wow Apr 16, 2005, 10:21 PHJF

Talk about low poly, I swear you could count how many polygons are used in that character model by eye....

Perhaps that is compensation for the fact that Quake IV will probably employ battles of more than 4 characters at a time?

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

44. Re: Wow Apr 16, 2005, 09:33 TangledThorns

This game will look like shit when compared to UT3!

43. Wow Apr 16, 2005, 09:31 c r i s p y

One screenshot and you guys can tell us exactly what the game is going to be like, I'm impressed!  
---
Chris.

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo