Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Things have been mostly back to what passes for normal here for about a week now after the meltdown of 2005, but there's still a bit of aftermath being sorted through behind the scenes. The ever-valiant Frans is trying to work though getting our screenshots script to operate properly on the new server, and Furn has tracked down several Blammo annoyances, some of which existed prior to the crash. Towards that end, I'd appreciate an email or a forum post from someone who has encountered what's described as the "editing bug" on our forums, to make sure I am clear on what that entails. For my own experience, clicking the "edit" button on an existing post sometimes brings up a mostly empty page with no opportunity to edit anything, but repeatedly hitting reload will eventually bring up the expected screen, and I just want to make sure that is the same behavior others are experiencing before anyone gets too crazy trying to track down the problem.

Play Time: Kitten Cannon. Thanks banddirector.
Links of the Day: Unintentionally sexual comic book covers Part 1. Thanks Devicer. Unintentional? As in Beaver Cleaver?
iLog: the real iPod killer. It's big, it's heavy, it's wood!
Stories of the Day: Poll: Americans Say Taxes Too Complicated.
Politician Urges Golf with Cane Toads.
Outlaw Laid Low by Short Fuse. Thanks Firingsquad.
Science!: Why robots are scary--and cool and Walking Human-Shaped Robot Going on Sale.
Cloned Cows Yummy and Safe.
'Extreme Textiles' Come of Age (registration required).
Auction of the Day: Rare Collectible Pen Covering Device. Thanks Troy.
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. No subject Apr 17, 2005, 17:44 Prez

I have 2 pop-up blockers running and it still comes up every time. What do I need to do to kill it?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Buying electronics Apr 13, 2005, 14:54 Warhawk

Anyone but me boycott Circuit City for the crap they tried to pull with Divx DVDs years ago?

Yeah, but they've long since paid for that screw up. Not only did their sales figures fall during the period, but when they finally gave up they had to pay a $500M fine because they broke the contract. Plus all that advertising they wasted money on.

Plus it's not like Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. are any better. All of them suck and have done crap to me to make me not want to shop there. Boycotting all of 'em would just mean nowhere to go for quick purchases of stuff.

Their whole-hearted endorsement of a product designed to derail the DVD as we know it today earns a special demerit in my book, sorry. I don't care how much they have lost already, they will get precious few of my $$$ because of those asinine products they pushed.

*** Warhawk ***

We came here to rob them and that's what we're gonna do - beat their heads in, gouge their eyes out, slash their throats. Soon as we wash the dishes.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

55. Re: Not sure if/where this is mentioned. Apr 13, 2005, 09:43 ILL Robinson

As when I get flash things that do that, it is on both IE and FireFox….but the Splinter Cell ads here never does it for me.

Hmmm, that is pretty interesting. I have seen this same problem on another machine of mine, so I started putting suspicion on the SC ad. Maybe it is the version of Flash 7 player that's installed. I can look into it later today if I have the moment.

54. Re: Not sure if/where this is mentioned. Apr 13, 2005, 09:38 Enahs

Mine's the exact opposite - under FF, it ties up 100%, but under Opera, I can have 2 or 3 of the same flash ad running, with no problems...

Do you have different versions of flash installed for each browser?

As when I get flash things that do that, it is on both IE and FireFox….but the Splinter Cell ads here never does it for me.

.sigs are for losers…

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

53. Re: Not sure if/where this is mentioned. Apr 13, 2005, 09:27 nin

I know its not a Blues problem, as I came across the Flash ad again yesterday on IFilm and it drove my CPU to 100%. To confirm it wasnt an Firefox issue, I opened IE to the same page and it gave me the same problem. Immediately afterwards, I came here and saw the same thing.

Mine's the exact opposite - under FF, it ties up 100%, but under Opera, I can have 2 or 3 of the same flash ad running, with no problems...

May 3rd, 2005 - "We are preparing to destroy you." http://www.nin.com

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

52. Not sure if/where this is mentioned... Apr 13, 2005, 09:17 ILL Robinson

Has anyone resolved the Splinter Cell ad issue? I know its not a Blues problem, as I came across the Flash ad again yesterday on IFilm and it drove my CPU to 100%. To confirm it wasnt an Firefox issue, I opened IE to the same page and it gave me the same problem. Immediately afterwards, I came here and saw the same thing.

I know there's no easy resolve to this (short of torture to the ad agency who produced the ad), but I've seen this problem here before (and mentioned) and wasnt able to scour previous posts to see if there's been any resolve to it.

51. Re: Buying electronics Apr 13, 2005, 09:14 Zathrus

Anyone but me boycott Circuit City for the crap they tried to pull with Divx DVDs years ago?

Yeah, but they've long since paid for that screw up. Not only did their sales figures fall during the period, but when they finally gave up they had to pay a $500M fine because they broke the contract. Plus all that advertising they wasted money on.

Plus it's not like Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. are any better. All of them suck and have done crap to me to make me not want to shop there. Boycotting all of 'em would just mean nowhere to go for quick purchases of stuff.

50. Re: sick MF'ers Apr 13, 2005, 09:10 nin

and in one very well planed out night and kill them all…no lie.

Agreed.

49. Re: Shopping troubles Apr 13, 2005, 09:09 Creston

When he asked I simply said, you have the product and my money, that is illegal, I will call my credit card company and tell them you stole money from me. I will get my money back without paying a restocking fee that way and you get to explain to your boss why the credit card company is demanding money back.

Clever

As for those fucking piece of shit kids who abused that handicapped child, burning in hell is too good for them. As for the principal who advised the dad to "not contact 911", that motherfucker should be taken out into the street and shot in his fucking mouth, so they can't give him an open coffin burial.

But hey, remember everyone, the world is getting better!

Disgusted,

Creston

48. Re: sick MF'ers Apr 13, 2005, 03:01 Halsy

Fuckin' A bubba! A pile of people just sat and watched? The principal tells the dad not to call the cops? WTF? That boggles the mind. I hope the cops nail every single person on video and chage them as accomplices. Send them all to fucking jail, then the dad should pay some gang in there to rape all these losers and cripple them for life. Killing them is too easy.

"Martin Luther was a German fellow who pinned a note on a church door that said, 'Hang on a minute!' Actually, he was German so it said, 'Ein minuten bitte!'"
- Eddie Izzard

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

47. Re: sick MF'ers Apr 13, 2005, 00:05 Enahs

Here's a story that'll kill a good mood pretty quick.

If I was the father, I would find the boys responsible and the person video taping and the people just watching (for not doing one damn thing), and in one very well planed out night and kill them all…no lie.

Just freaking pathetic nobody stopped them, I hope they all get hit by a car and are handicapped for a few years and then die miserable and painful deaths.

.sigs are for losers…

- W. C. Fields

46. sick MF'ers Apr 12, 2005, 23:24 WarPig

Here's a story that'll kill a good mood pretty quick.

http://www.local6.com/news/4372049/detail.html

Unbelievable, simply f*cking unbelievable.

-------------------------------------------------------
"We're innocent critters squashed on the highway of life!"

GO SEAHAWKS!

45. Re: NIN Apr 12, 2005, 22:52 nin

As far as new NIN goes, I have 4 songs too, but not the one that Dan mentioned. The other one is called 'Home' and it's from the Japanese THTF vinyl single. It won't be on With Teeth in N. America.

You tease...

44. Oops! Oh my.. Apr 12, 2005, 20:14 MeatForce

There goes the Jade Empire disk into my XB!!

I'm freakin' out!

-----
I actually get paid for this..

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

43. Pariah Apr 12, 2005, 19:41 Killer Kane

really short demo , alot like Unreal 2 - nice graphics but when the grenades go off the screen goes black momentarily (?) , not sure if thats a bug or not

42. Shopping troubles Apr 12, 2005, 18:56 Enahs

I had a friend that bought a Pentium 4 (2ghz) from BestBuy one time. He bought it but did not get a chance to put it in his computer and test it for about 3 weeks. It was bad. They would not take it back because the package was not opened up properly and it was past the 9-15 (whatever it is) day no questions asked return period.

So I went and bought a 2ghz Pentium 4 from them, opened it carefully and put his old one back in the box, took it immediately back (literally 20 minutes later) and said I want to return this and I want my money back. They asked why, and I said I am not happy with the purchase and I want my money back as it is still within the 9-10 day grace period. She said she has to charge me a restocking fee. I said no ma’am I will not pay one (politely) and asked to speak to the manager. I got some dweeb who was not the manager, just higher up than her. I told him I wish to return this, as you claim I can and refuse to pay a restocking fee. He argued with me, and so I sat the CPU down right in front of him and started to leave; knowing he would be confused why I would leave it there without getting any money back. When he asked I simply said, you have the product and my money, that is illegal, I will call my credit card company and tell them you stole money from me. I will get my money back without paying a restocking fee that way and you get to explain to your boss why the credit card company is demanding money back.

He gave me my money back, no restocking fee and my friend got a working CPU.

Booyah BestBuy.

.sigs are for losers…

- W. C. Fields

41. kitty cannon Apr 12, 2005, 18:49 Killer Kane

saw this on Attack of the Show last week , cool sick & twisted variation on the "Penguin" games
high score - 1,832
anyone try the Pariah demo ?, iam debating installing it (its on the new Maximum PC disc)

40. Re: NIN Apr 12, 2005, 18:38 Creston

They let me swap it, though they weren't that enthusiastic about it.

Jeez, I actually ASKED the girl who swapped it if she didn't want to know what was wrong with it. Then again, she probably didn't even know what a graphics card was, but oh well.

Those "service plans" are the most fucking annoying thing to have happened in the 2000s. Seriously, if I want extra warranty on the thing, I'll ASK for it. And don't offer extra warranty that costs 85 dollars on a product that's 150 bucks...

The only two I got that make me feel they're worth something are the one on my digital camera for five years (75 bucks on a 400 dollar camera), and the one on my Xbox that's a product upgrade plan, which means that when I go get an Xbox 2, they will refund me the complete purchase price of the first Xbox. Basically, they rented me an Xbox for a year and a half for 20 dollars.

All the other ones are just useless. They still give you crap when something breaks, and they don't "just replace it" even though that's their main salesline.

Creston

39. Re: NIN Apr 12, 2005, 17:37 complicity

You are a consumer whore.
Speaking of consumer whorism (is that like tourism?), I picked up a Creative MuVo Slim mp3 player and 19" Samsung LCD today. I needed the monitor (even though I really didn't want to buy an LCD) because my trusty old 19" Viewsonic finally gave up the ghost on Sunday night. Rebooted my computer, screen flashed for a second, and then poot, no more monitor. It still powers on, but there's no picture. Running on an old 15" 60Hz POS the past couple of nights got old FAST.

But I just went in to look. If I can score another monitor somehow in the next two weeks, it's going back though. I see it more as a rental while I line something else up. God bless Future Shop.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

38. Kitten Cannon Apr 12, 2005, 17:34 ExcessDan

woooh 1,757 feet

btw, link's dead but http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/228520 works

Mayor Dan
------------
"Take me Jesus, take me Allah, rape me in my room
Torch our days in paranoia while we gorge ourselves on gloom"

ExcessDan