Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

D&D Online Alpha Sign-ups

Turbine announces they have begun accepting sign-ups for alpha testing for Dungeons & Dragons Online, the upcoming pen-and-paper inspired MMORPG:

ALPHA SIGN UPS BEGIN FOR DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE –

ONLY THE STRONG WILL BE CHOSEN!

Turbine, Inc. has officially started taking Alpha Program player registrations as it unlocks the gates to Stormreach, the frontier city from the highly-anticipated MMORPG Dungeons & Dragons® Online.

“Fans have long waited to venture into the far away world and epic fantasy of Dungeons & Dragons Online, and now Turbine is anxious to raise the curtain to give its first sneak-peek,” said Judith Hoffman, executive producer, Turbine, Inc. “Turbine’s commitment to its fans is to deliver the most immersive and accurate online D&D experience possible. We hope the Alpha process helps us reinforce our vision for this mysterious and exciting world.”

RULES OF THE GAME

For a limited time only, Turbine will be accepting applicants for the iconic MMORPG’s highly-anticipated Alpha Program, which kicks off in the near future. While this first Alpha stage will have limited number of players, Turbine expects to increase the number of players allowed into the game on a regular basis.

Dungeons & Dragons Online delivers the world-renowned fantasy franchise to the digital online age by introducing the epic fantasy to massively-multiplayer online audiences. DDO allows players to explore the frontier city of Stormreach and the surrounding mysterious continent of Xen’drik. Players can create their own character based on iconic D&D® races and classes, experience fast paced tactical combat that requires critical thinking as much as bravery and physical skill and participate in intricate and immersive storylines.

LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN

To sign up for their chance to be selected for Dungeons & Dragons Online Alpha, gamers should head to http://beta.turbine.com/signup. Potential fans of D&D and MMORPGs are encouraged to register at the game’s official web site, www.ddo.com, where they will learn more about the game, see exclusive content and unlock the secrets of what lies beneath the streets of Stormreach.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. ADnD Thee grandaddy... Apr 11, 2005, 20:51 BigAlski

Yes, Dungeons and Dragons is the original and for that alone true gamers should give it a fighting chance. If you don't know anything about this game all you have to do is goto a gaming store and see how many volumes of primary and supporting material is in print for it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2005, 20:42 Cicatrix

Sorry, but if you are gonna kinda get your hopes up about a MMORPG, it would be this one. It's the original DnD. The grand daddy of them all. Turbine is working with WoTC on this, in a relatively new game setting (Eberron), so there is plenty of chance for things to go right. They are also taking some risks for MMORPGs, like content based XP instead of combat based. This really isn't just "another" MMORPG, it could be something different and refreshing.

27. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2005, 20:26 Cabezone

They are trying to do something different. They are going with action based combat where twitch skills will make a difference. Want to use a bow a bow?...you have to *gasp* aim it and lead the target. You'll manually control the blocking, swing and special moves. There's no just watching you guy stand in front of something and swing away.

Hopefully they can pull it off because it'd be a nice change from the current boring MMORPG combat style.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 20:28.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

26. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2005, 18:57 Grounded

this MMORPG will be retarded and flop as bad as Horizons and Matrix Online

C'mon people, there are about 100 people waiting for this game, thats it

and half of them are posting in this thread and on VN Boards to make people excited about a game that has been done before and been there already

Give me a break

these are the same people that were upset when Horizons was cancelled

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 18:58.

25. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2005, 18:41 BigAlski

Well, I hate to say it but....WoW is burying EQ2 and it is just fate since the everquest franchise didnt change with the times. They still force you to group, try to make the benefits of tradeskills nil until you devote some 2 months to it, and keep you wanting more content and feeling cramped if u do get dedicated so you will buy the next expansion. At least WoW lets you have fun and play with your friends if u want too, not because you HAVE to.

And to quantify who copied who....
Everquest was copied by: Shadowbane, Horizons, DAoC...two of which are defunct. (you could also add Lineage 2)
Asherons Call purposely meant to be different (no Tolkein monsters) but then tried to copy EQ with AC2 and it was a failure.

Then you had the EQ style Sci Fi games, all of which were failures or mediocre successes: SWG, AO, Neocron, and now Matrix Online

24. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2005, 18:39 Saint Proverbius

Absolutely. But regardless, the SOE was first to the pc game arena. Its kind of like someone saying that the 3D Indiana Jones adventure game was derivative of TOMB RAIDER.

That would be Origin with Ultima Online. They made the first modern MMO for the PC.

23. Re: Turbine Underrrated... Apr 11, 2005, 18:35 BigAlski

Also, Turbine (I know, blame Microsoft for this..tis the standard line) was far to lax for far too long with those who used 3rd party combat macros. And don't even let me get started on the whole 'experience' chain issue..one problem simply feeding another

Yes I have to agree here. I quit too after, say, 2 years of macro gamers ruining the natural curve of the game and the world economies. One thing I will always remember, though, is getting up on Saturday morning, putting on a pot of coffee, and heading off to the Olthoi caves for a day of bug bashing. For an unarmed, you could get in there at lvl28ish and hold your own against one, gradually getting better and better..and in like 2 weeks you would be level 40, able to take 8 or 10 at a time. The lvl5 loot was rare in there though.

22. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2005, 18:20 Cicatrix

Um, you cannot "Grind" in DDO, per se. EXP is not given for defeating monsters, but defeating content. So, if you want XP, you have to do (and complete) quests with other people.

21. No subject Apr 11, 2005, 17:34 Prez

But you could also argue that EQ stole it's ideas from D&D...

Absolutely. But regardless, the SOE was first to the pc game arena. Its kind of like someone saying that the 3D Indiana Jones adventure game was derivative of TOMB RAIDER.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 17:36.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

20. Re: A REAL MMORPG Apr 11, 2005, 17:19 Charlie_Six

DDO's gonna have real-time combat, not click-and-watch gameplay. That's more unique than Guild Wars, although i hope guild wars is good too

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

19. Re: A REAL MMORPG Apr 11, 2005, 17:18 nin

All of the fanatasy MMORPGs ever released are basically mods of Everquest.

But you could also argue that EQ stole it's ideas from D&D...

May 3rd, 2005 - "We are preparing to destroy you." http://www.nin.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. A REAL MMORPG Apr 11, 2005, 17:11 Prez

Can this game even really be called new? All of the fanatasy MMORPGs ever released are basically mods of Everquest. Does anyone realy get excited about another fantasy MMORPG? I have will never again pay a monthly fee to play these derivative, grind-based money sinks. I for one hope GUILD WARS is mega successful and turns the whole out-dated MMORPG business model on its ear.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 17:14.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

17. Re: D&D Online Alpha Sing-ups Apr 11, 2005, 16:52 Ihya

Combine Sing Star style Karaoke with D&D online?

*Monocle drops from eye*

16. Re: D&D Online Alpha Sing-ups Apr 11, 2005, 15:58 Ray Marden

I submitted my application, though not for singing, and I'll see how it goes.

It still seems like a lot of MMOGs are lacking the "game" aspect past the initial content; they seem to often degrade into a graphical chatroom for players or just let players spend all day killing each other.

I'm curious as to whether this is anything more than deathmatch with swords.

Now having two UBRS and Baron runs with only cloth drops,
Ray

-----
Posting again! FOR THE WIN!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

15. Looks.... Apr 11, 2005, 15:57 TangledThorns

GAY!!!

14. Re: Turbine Underrrated... Apr 11, 2005, 15:40 Awesome Spume

AC must have had 200 dungeons, and at least 30 really big ones, and that was 5 years ago.

I gotta admit that was one of the things I really liked about AC - some of those dungeons just consisted of a couple of rooms, a few spawns and a mini boss but it was fun stepping into a dungeon not knowing what to expect. In fact the only more recent MMORPG that had a similar number of "dungeons" was Anarchy Online with the instanced missions.

As for PnP RPGs, I used to play "Tunnels and Trolls" about twenty years ago - one night last year I was drunk and googled "Ken St Andre", one of the designers. So, I turned up his homepage and fired him off an email and got a nice reply from him so that was cool. Now, it turns out Ken St. Andre was also one of the guys behind Wasteland, which I did not know.

How come noone ever did a fan remake of Wasteland?

-------------------
If you're a European sign the anti-software-patents petition at:
http://petition.eurolinux.org/

13. Oh man Apr 11, 2005, 15:27 Bludd

I bet the only class availible in the alpha is the bard class.

12. Re: Turbine Underrrated... Apr 11, 2005, 15:12 Halsy

I'm stoked on DDO (see our fansite at ddo.ogaming.com - unfinished still) and it holds a lot of promise and several concerns as well. As much as I'm stoked on the game, if I feel it doesn't live up to D&D in spirit with great quests and the like I certainly won't be staying. Seeing as they're partnered with WOTC I don't forsee a shortage of good material though.

"Martin Luther was a German fellow who pinned a note on a church door that said, 'Hang on a minute!' Actually, he was German so it said, 'Ein minuten bitte!'"
- Eddie Izzard

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

11. Re: Turbine Underrrated... Apr 11, 2005, 14:57 Mingus

AC vet of 3.5 years and I can tell you that of those 200 or so dungeons you speak of, only about 1/3 had any real content in them to speak of (and even then, I am being generous).

Also, Turbine (I know, blame Microsoft for this..tis the standard line) was far to lax for far too long with those who used 3rd party combat macros. And don't even let me get started on the whole 'experience' chain issue..one problem simply feeding another.

I finally left in disgust.

AC2? Are you kidding me? I see you made absolutely no mention of this pile of MMOG dung.

And where is Middle Earth Online?

Lets face the facts, for sheer fun factor the new standard is World of Warcraft. Turbine has their work cut out for them in spades.

10. No subject Apr 11, 2005, 14:52 Tanto Edge

The site is working again!
I love this site... Blue, don't know what I'd do without you.

How many years have I been coming to this site?...
How long has Quake been around...?

I'm signing up for this. I've played PnP RPGs for years and this should be interesting.
The gameplay movies seem to dole a certain realtime flavor. I'm hoping this aspect of D&D is present.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo