Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New ATI CATALYST Drivers

ATI Technologies now offers downloads of new version 5.4 CATALYST reference drivers for RADEON accelerators. Here's word on what the new version provides:

1) Updates to WHQL (no asterisks here)CATALYST driver for Windows XP and Windows 2000
1A) Updates to CATALYST CONTROL CENTER for WindowsXP and Windows 2000 (If you have your PC hooked up to an HDTV, or if you want to try that scenario make sure you download this and check out the new HDTV Wizard) - Check out the email attachment for a screen shot of it.
2) Initial Microsoft Certified (WHQL) driver for Windows XP x64 Edition - with some pretty good performance gains from our beta drivers
3) Updates to CATALYST Linux driver - with lots of good fixes
4) Updates to CATALYST - Multimedia Center software - the legacy of ATI's video software keeps getting stronger.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Release Notes Summary May 5, 2005, 11:28 Sepharo

God I am going to attempt to revive this thread hopefully some of the original posters will see it.

My Radeon9800XT problems with random crashing in totall randomness [I can't stress randomness enough] got so bad that one time during the many reboots windows wouldn't load at [or at least visibly] it would get through all the bios and hardware show the XP loading screen then go black... So I RMA'd the 9800xt and they sent me a brand new one. Worked for 2 days then the dreaded random crashes again... I decided to live with it as it seemed to be happening less frequently [but this could just be it's randomness] sometimes it would happen 4 times in one day and other times I would go for two weeks without it happening at all. And mind you no changes were done to my system or changes in the games I was playing. Then SURPRISE SURPRISE non-visible non-loading on reboot problem again. So that's where I am at right now. Here's the catch which may make it different from your problems. I threw in a different video card... Bam same problems. When I boot in safe mode the thing works. When I reformat the HD the problem is temporarily fixed but soons starts up again. This can only lead me to believe that it is a problem with the motherboard. So I am going to buy a new one. Try to keep you guys updated on if that fixes it, since you seem to be the only ones on the ENTIRE internet with a similar problem.

Current:
Radeon 9800XT
1.25GB DDR400
AMD 64bit 3200
Gigabyte MOBO [not sure of model, 64 bit obviously]

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 10, 2005, 17:07 pfoh

For those of you with the "vpu recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was..." problem, it is often a confilct between ati gfx crd and a via chipset. I installed the following driver for the chipset and have had no more problems!

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

19. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 9, 2005, 04:53 Ray Marden

Windows XP/2000
Version: 71.84
Release Date: March 11, 2005

Windows XP/2000
Version: 66.93
Release Date: November 9, 2004

That's a four month window without any update the the 66.93 had some serious issues with hardware, particularly NF3/A64/6800/DEP. Of the items Nvidia admits to, look at how many pertain to the 6800 series or general GF6 line.

I'm not saying this is the end of the world, but my point remains that ATI has been doing better of late.

Getting really irritated with the Swat 4 AI quirks,
Ray

-----
Posting again! FOR THE WIN!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

18. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 8, 2005, 10:12 Katlyn Brie

And this is why I have stuck with Nvidia. Sure they may have an issue or 2 in a driver with a particular game here and there, but you never see this sort of VPU Recover issue on Nvidia's end. OOO I may get 110 fps in HL2 rather than 112! I'd rather have stability and solid performance than have to deal with the types of issues ATI users seem to come across on a regular basis.

17. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 8, 2005, 09:53 Creston

I wonder if this will help with these wierd "VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands" I have started to get recently out of my 9800 pro.

Tango same problem here with same card. I sent my back since I had a 3 year warranty and they sent me a new one... Same problem. All different games too not just some. It's totally random, nothing to do with temperature... Really weird.

I am having the exact same fucking issue, and it's driving me IN fucking SANE.
I just put together a new rig, PCI-E, X800XL, nforce 4, AMD64, etc. At purely random intervals, and in purely random games, my card will either give me that damn VPU recover crap (but at least it usually DOES recover my game so I can save and reboot), or it will freeze. And no rhyme or reason to when it will happen. Sometimes a game will freeze five minutes in. Other times, I'll play for four hours and have no issues.

After a week and a half of posting on tech forums all over the internet, I thought I had finally tracked it down to my graphics card being bad. Took it back to CompUSA (yes, I bought it there, they were the only ones in the US selling it for 299.99), who simply swapped it for a new one, I played for a week and no problem whatsoever. Played Doom 3 for like six hours on Sunday. No issues.
Woohoo, problem fixed.

Two days ago, VPU recover has blablabla, while playing D3-RoE.

FUCCCKKKK

All my benchmarks and torture tests are showing fine, no memory issues, no CPU issues (it ran Prime95 for a day straight, no problems), it doesn't seem to be power related (as apparently my PSU gives 34A on the 12V rail), and I can't imagine it being something with the motherboard (like a hairline fracture), since it ONLY happens in games. You'd think the mobo would have trouble POST'ing every now and then or something. Or crash during Windows.
And it can't be heat, I have two heat sensors attached to my card, and it shows around 50C even during full on Doom 3 at pretty hefty settings. My case is cool too, memory is cool to the touch even after several hours of gaming.

Tried minimal install, just 2K + SP4, DX9c, put a game in. Same issue.

So either I got a second lemon card (which is possible, but somehow I doubt CompUSA will be so nice in swapping it again...), or this is somehow software related.

Now, I realise that PCI-E is new for ATI, and that their drivers may have some issues still, so I'm praying that that's the issue here.

Does anyone else have any issues with a PCI-E ATI card, like VPU recovers and occasional freezes?

Creston

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 10:01.

16. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 8, 2005, 08:03 Ben

"My next card will be a NVIDIA one. I am going back. Linux support is so bad with ATI."

Actually, with this release of these new drivers (fglrx 8.12.10) the stability has greatly improved. You still have to convert the package from .rpm to whatever distribution of Linux you are using, and the installation itself is rough. However, ATI is showing a side of care for Linux users, as we have seen several years ago there being NO support, to drivers for the all cards 8500 series and up. And upgrading was the easiest thing I have ever done.

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 08:04.

15. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 8, 2005, 04:11 Tango

I had a "VPU Recover" crashing problem with my 9600XT, which seemed to go away after disabling AGP Fast Writes in the SMARTGART controls.
Yeah I read on some forum that ATI doesn't support fast write or something, and therefore it can cause problems. It's wierd though - HL2 has started giving me (non-heat related) artifacts and wierd lightmap problems (which may be blamed on the latest patch); and once or twice a day I get a VPU recover thing.

14. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 8, 2005, 00:56 .Drifter

The latest official drivers from Nvidia have several known issues themselves, just look in the driver notes.
The two main ones affecting me are the temperature bug, which seems in my case to be an actual increase in temperature on my BFG 6800 GT OC, and the lighting issue in HL2.

13. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 8, 2005, 00:10 Tripper

I had a "VPU Recover" crashing problem with my 9600XT, which seemed to go away after disabling AGP Fast Writes in the SMARTGART controls.

Give it a shot.

12. Re: Really Amazing. Apr 7, 2005, 22:41 MacD

Man-oh-man, that CCC sucks. One day I decided to give a fuck, took an entire evening to get it working. And it worked once. Screw that: old-school, non CCC for me!.

Anyway, when using an older card (I've got a 9800pro) it's not worth it to upgrade unless there is a specific bug you need to get rid of: the newest drivers are only optimised for the latest cards. It's useless trying new drivers on last gen cards, as the only work that ATI (or nVidia, for that matter) have done is to get their latest cards to work halfway decently.

11. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 7, 2005, 22:39 Sepharo

Tango same problem here with same card. I sent my back since I had a 3 year warranty and they sent me a new one... Same problem. All different games too not just some. It's totally random, nothing to do with temperature... Really weird.

10. Re: Did it fix the MMC problem with dela Apr 7, 2005, 21:21 EricTheMad

v5.3 and MMC v9.06 resulted delays in audio and switching channels. I wonder if that is fixed.

# The channel change time has been improved when using the CATALYST™ 5.4 software driver in conjunction with the MMC 9.06.1 as compared to CATALYST™ 5.3 and MMC 9.06.

I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jell-O. -- Tealc
This comment was edited on Apr 7, 21:22.

If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do they all drown? -- Bucky B. Katt

9. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 7, 2005, 20:10 Ant

DDI: Which control panel? The one with .NET requirement or the old control panel? I refuse to use the new one since it is bloated.

My next card will be a NVIDIA one. I am going back. Linux support is so bad with ATI.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

8. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 7, 2005, 19:42 Krovven

How has nVidia been struggling to put out official drivers? They released updated drivers last week.

I used to have problems with drivers when I had my 9800 Pro, with my Leadtek 6800 GT and now my BFG 6800 Ultra OC...I've had zero problems with drivers.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

7. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 7, 2005, 18:32 DDI

Their drivers may be on par but the 3d control panel doohicky is the worst thing in the world. I have to use 3rd party utilitys to adjust settings because its crashed when I try to open it. Yes I've tried cleaning the drivers etc

6. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 7, 2005, 17:39 Tango

I wonder if this will help with these wierd "VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands" I have started to get recently out of my 9800 pro.

5. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 7, 2005, 17:27 Ray Marden

ATI's drivers are basically on par with NvIdIa'S these days.

Heck, they are doing better - the big N's drivers have known issues with certain hardware combinations, but it has been struggling to push out an "official" driver.
LONG LIVE SECRET TEXT!!!!!1
Having a lazy day,
Ray

-----
Posting again! FOR THE WIN!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

4. Re: ALL cars? Apr 7, 2005, 17:17 Rseman

Bugger!

Evidently I'm not keeping up with the times..... I thought his listing all the issues with the 5.4 suite, was a dig at ATI;P

3. Did it fix the MMC problem with delays? Apr 7, 2005, 17:12 Ant

v5.3 and MMC v9.06 resulted delays in audio and switching channels. I wonder if that is fixed.

I also wonder if I can switch between analog and digital audio? Because I have my nice Klipsch ProMedia v2-400 speakers hooked up to the computer. I run MMC to have audio and watch TV on a regular muted TV "live" (recording, but not TV-On-Demand). Basically, is the audio in synchronization when I do this? I hated the audio not synchronized with the people talking on TV.

Thank you in advance.

I will stick with v5.2 and 9.03 for now to see what others say.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 17:27.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

2. Re: Release Notes Summary Apr 7, 2005, 17:08 Tigger

Wow - 30 minutes and not one post complaining about ATI driver quality.

I'm impressed.

--
Tigger
"It's not the years, it's the mileage" ~Indiana Jones

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..