Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Prey Lives?

New Xbox, new games prepare for May unveiling on CNN Money is an article looking ahead at the upcoming E3 extravaganza. The story includes the surprising revelation that Prey ("A Talon Brave Game") is not dead, but is now a DOOM III engine game being handled by an as-yet unrevealed third-party developer that will be shown at the expo:

The show's biggest surprise, though, will likely be the revelation of "Prey". Gamers first heard of "Prey" in 1997. The game, originally about a Native American who fights several nefarious alien races, was thought to be cancelled, but quietly restarted a few years ago. The new version will use the "Doom 3" graphics engine and is said to be a visually striking title. There's no word on whether the story has changed.

3D Realms, makers of the popular "Duke Nukem" series, originally worked on "Prey," but word is they have handed development to a third party and are overseeing work on the game. Take Two Interactive Software (Research) is the likely publisher for the game, given its relationship with 3D Realms, but has not made any announcements.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Prey Engine Apr 10, 2005, 04:16 Zombi Z

To be fair... says the self-appointed middleman in some narcissistic attempt to quell inferred fan-boy ranting... Don't tempt the trolls Love.

I have a theory in this regard.

As 3D Realms continues to hold back DNF for nearly a decade (the mere mention of which these days instantly results in inflammatory posts regarding the delays and what milestone of human existence will come and go before the project is 'Gold') they have stated time again their desire that Duke Nukem Forever be a triumph of the art when it is finally released. Simply- DNF's proprietary engine will likely require bleeding-edge hardware while Prey could very well have been in development for some time now as another sideline project intended to run well on today's hardware; that, as well as the project's history with the original Quake engine could explain the use of the Doom engine.

I can't be the only one who has all but written the game off as a failure among vaporware. Is it really so much fun to so predictably assault the company every time daylight cracks an office window with news of everything but what we want to know about? Could the collective community’s desperation be more transparent? Who are we to judge their secrecy? Qualified?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Prey Engine Apr 8, 2005, 08:24 Duc

To be fair unreal 3 is an evolution of tech newer than doom 3 / HL 2.

25. Re: No subject Apr 7, 2005, 13:20 Prez

OK, since I started this whole "moon" distraction - lets get back on track. Who thinks which scenario is more likely:

1. We will land on mars
2. 3DR will release DNF

Um... well if you count the rover, we already did sort of land on Mars...

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 13:22.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

24. Prey Engine Apr 7, 2005, 02:22 Zombi Z

What I don't get about Prey is why it would be developed on the Doom engine while the DNF team has evolved the Unreal Engine into something entirely new - an engine of their own for which there would be no license fee. EA has done the same in the with the Quake 3 engine resulting in the [Pacific Assault] engine with the Medal of Honor series.

The Doom engine isn't the edge of the map, I honestly believe, even if the result is a grand assortment of parlor tricks, that Epic has surpassed Carmack with Unreal 3. Unless Doom tech runs faster than Unreal (likely) Doom's unified lighting is far too sharp (shading is all-or-nothing as I understand it, but it's been a while since I had Doom installed) to used in many games.

23. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 20:51 ToddMcF2002

OK, since I started this whole "moon" distraction - lets get back on track. Who thinks which scenario is more likely:

1. We will land on mars
2. 3DR will release DNF

22. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 20:20 MyRealName

Amazing. Another thread that's supposed to be about some piece of crap 3DR is supposed to be developing that has almost nothing to do with said piece of crap.

21. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 15:55 Xenos Overdrive

All I have to say is that India or China ever land on the moon and discover we weren't there, heads are going to roll.

Bleh, India's not going to space anytime soon. They may spit up a few probes, participate in a few launches, but it won't amount to a moon landing. China...not so sure about. Their economy is still surging right now and whether it peaks and they can sustain it successfully will determine how far they go.

20. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 15:52 L0cky

'You can believe one set of evidence or the other.'

There is only one set of evidence, the rest is bunkum to common sense.

Anyway, it'd be easier to land on the moon than to fake it. Human's can't keep secrets.

19. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 14:18 Dante_uk

Human, you are entitled to you're opinion.
You can believe one set of evidence or the other. Most explanations to convince people the pictures are not fake are plausible but don't eliminate the possiblity that they ARE faked.

Still it was an interesting read.

18. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 13:23 human

Dante_uk, you are a first-class idiot.

There is NO convincing evidence at all that the moon landings were a hoax, and VAST amounts of evidence that they really occured.

http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Did%20we%20land%20on%20the%20Moon.htm

This page pretty much deals with every single lame-ass excuse you could possibly give. People with no concept of physics or even photography trying to analyze pictures is like monkeys trying to assemble a lego set. Hilarious, in other words.

17. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 11:33 kanniballl

If the moon landing were a fake the government would have off'ed the astronaunts. Capricorn One!

Exactly!

While I don't doubt the government would lie about it, I doubt that they could.

For something like that there are just too many points of failure. The astronauts themselves, the ground crew, the "stage crew," etc. Face it, no NDA is going to prevent that from leaking out particularly after all these years. They'd have to off some people and I think the astronauts would be one of them.

Sure, you could argue that "at that time" maybe the astronauts felt it was in the nation's interests and security they do this (patriot duty against the 'reds' and all), but now? Face it people would start talking now. Maybe someone with no family or little to lose. Maybe someone that's on their way out (cancer, old age, etc). Someone would come forward, and it's quite possible they'd be able to let someone know before a dark figure offed them.

I will admit, that FOX special did have some compelling evidence, but some of their 'proofs' were just wrong. I worked in a photo lab for 2 years and 1 thing they said "helped prove it" was a load of bunk. It involved the light reflected off the white space suit saturating the black-crosses that were put there by the camera. I'd seen something similar with a person in bad lighting; the glare coming off their white shirt partially over-rode a pole that they were standing next to (but partially behind). Maybe it was bad filmn or just the over-powering light captured on the film; who knows.

All I have to say is that India or China ever land on the moon and discover we weren't there, heads are going to roll.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
This comment was edited on Apr 6, 11:40.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

16. Re: I agree.... Apr 6, 2005, 11:14 Xenos Overdrive

About friggin time they got this game developed; as the canceling of it was a travesty. Hopefully they can still keep the storyline half way intriging.

Btw, Prey is just a Turok rip off.

Yeah, you keep thinking that.

15. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 11:13 ToddMcF2002

If the moon landing were a fake the government would have off'ed the astronaunts. Capricorn One!

14. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 10:58 Dante_uk

The moon landing only looks fake if you look at those photos with the shadows and stuff in the wrong place, and bits of terrain that stand out in to two pictures but have a lander in a different position ( which is impossible because the lander wasn't movable, accept for takeoff of cause ).
So if you ignore the official NASA photos then it must have been real because the US goverment told the world it was

So it took 7 years to get a man on the moon ( illegible ) and 7 years(and counting) to make DNF ( illegible ), I'm sure it will come out in my lifetime and I'll have a machine worthy to play it on by then, with dual P8 10Ghz processors, 256GB memory and 2 SLI Geforce 9000Ultra-Elite Addition with 4GB of memory each and liquid nitrgen cooling system, not forgetting of couse my trusty old SoundBlaster Live. Of course the issue maybe my 10terabytes of disk space won't be enough.

13. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 10:30 kanniballl

In 1963 NASA's Gemini program began. The first successful space docking occurs in 1966. 1967 markes the beginning of the Apollo program. There is a man on the moon in July 1969.

Hey look! We put a man on the moon in only 7 years!

That's what they want you to think!

I kid, I kid.

But seriously, I know people that think the moon landing was all faked on a sound stage. No, they aren't saying it to be cute or because it's a "geeky" thing to say; they're stalwart believers. I've actually gotten into arguments about it.

Do I think it's possible the US government lied to us about that? Well, I don't think it's impossible. But to believe that it's a lie as much as some of these people is kind of scary.

-Fry, Futurmama

-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 09:33 ToddMcF2002

Man you spend alot of time reading about DNF.

I didnt realize there was a 'life changing experiences / world events' thing to be bored by.

11. ("A Talon Brave Game") Apr 6, 2005, 09:14 World war 3

Lol, superb

_______________________ __ _

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated April 6th 2005

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated April 17th 2009

10. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 09:14 jm0ris0n

If DNF is delayed another year and a half I will have graduated college !!!

(I enjoy lowering the quality of discussion).

9. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 09:07 Vinquus

A Turok rip off? But no, it's "A Talon Brave Game", like all those other Talon Brave games 3D Realms have imagined making but never bothered to actually write.

8. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 08:39 L0cky

Actually to be fair, the whole 'Here's the string of life changing experiences I've had and world events that have taken place since DNF was announced' thing is getting a bit boring.

So, did they put Prey back in the picture for the benefit of DNF's publicitly? Technically it could stop people saying 'DNF: The longest game in development'.

Btw, Prey is just a Turok rip off.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo