Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Universal Combat: A World Apart Demo

DreamCatcher Games and 3000AD announce the first official Universal Combat: A World Apart demo. The 220MB download "is a space and planet based demo featuring the Elite Force Pilot and Commander Careers. The demo contains four combat intensive Instant Action scenarios and a full tutorial in PDF format." Word is another two demos will be released in March and May (respectively). The download is mirrored on 3D Gamers, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot DLX (registration required), and Worthplaying.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2005, 11:32 Sty

You are no indie developer becuase if you were you would respect Derek smart not post assinine crap like the rest of the morons in this thread.

Most of the veteran developers I've spoken with think he's a jackass and a total joke. From my past exchange with him, I'd tend to agree. The guy is an asshole, no two ways about it.

...when you're having FUN!

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2005, 04:20 Overon

You know what. I think Derek Smart is learning. He's learning not to post in flame war threads anymore. How else do you explain how he's managed to avoid posting in various topics that have to do with his games?

63. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2005, 01:22 Camaro76

blah blah I have played a lot of crap games over the years. This is hardly a crap series its just eccentric.

Ah yes, now the fun begins. However I'm going to go against my inner troll on this one. I'm in a pretty good mood today.

'Eccentric'. Yeah, Derek really injects his personality into his games, doesn't he?

Universal Combat is the same as Battlecruiser Millenium which is the same as Battlecruiser 3000AD. The guy's been making space games for over 10 fucking years - wouldn't you think by now he could produce a game that gets more than 2 out of 10 rating in any review?
Oh but his games are "niche games written for his fanbase and they are just too complex for little wankers like me to understand". Sorry but I don't feel like reading through a poorly written manual, a VCF, readmes, PDF's, patch notes, and 50,000 forum posts in order to get a game of his to work. I don't feel like getting banned for asking a wrong question. I don't feel like syncing the AOL shields with the PHP levels to power up the LSD engines while also setting the WWE radar up to AMD range so I can fire the GHB. OK?

The only thing I respect the guy for is that he has the balls to build his games his way, and he does seem to care about his (few) fans. The games are ambitious. ... but are they fun to play for more than a handful of hardcore Trekkies?

I could understand an elitist attitude from a person who created a million-copy blockbuster. I don't understand an elitist attitude from a so-called 'indie' developer with a track record of pissing off both fans and publishers, while promising more than he tends to deliver in his games.

Best quote I've ever heard: "If I fed my dog a set of Scrabble tiles he could have crapped a better manual" - http://games.channel.aol.com/review.adp?gameID=1946

I guess I'm just not a space-sim type.

Now siddown! You stupid git!

---------------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

62. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2005, 01:10 JediLuke

Not to mention that he tried to use music which he thinks is bad as a reason for why an instrument is bad. That's a little weak in the logic column.

~Steve

My music: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/imjediluke/

http://stevegoldbergmusic.com

61. No subject Feb 12, 2005, 00:33 space captain

some people might say that the 303 is cliched and played out, cheesy and irrelevant.... (not me tho)

opinions vary you see

Id rather have a EMS Synthi, or maybe one of the new Buchla modular systems

http://www.buchla.com/200e/index.html

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

60. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2005, 23:16 Cy

the hammond organ isnt just in musak you moron - ever heard a little tune called "Born to be Wild"?? and try about 40% of all the other 70s rock tunes as well..

Um yes I have it sucks. A lot. No. More then a lot. In fact given the choice between a listening to a Neumatic Drill and Born to be Wild I'd choose the drill. For that matter most of the rest of 70's (and in fact 80s) music sucked as well. Give me a 303 anyday but as far as hammond goes.....

Anyway back on subject we've got hellbinder if things follow true to form it will only take 20-30 more posts before the shitemeister himself puts in an apperance.

Maybe if anyone could be arsed enough about the game to post a critique of the demo it might speed things along =)

Si

BTW Before you start I'm 31 was born in 74 and spent my formative years in the 70's and 80's however I still say the majority of the music sucked like a five pound hooker with a fifty pound note.

59. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2005, 22:41 mittens

Fist of all. You are a damn liar. You are no indie developer becuase if you were you would respect Derek smart not post assinine crap like the rest of the morons in this thread.

Hahahahahahaha.

Right. I would respect Derek Smart if he fucking deserved my respect. He makes a HUGE game (I won't even go into whether it's actually good or anything else), and does a good job getting word out about it... But the way he handles himself in a community setting is absolutely abysmal.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he needs to be a PR freak or anything, but selflessly whoring himself with his fake PhD, telling people to fuck off if they don't agree with him, telling people to fuck off if they have a problem with the game, telling people to fuck off if their game is broken or experiencing a major bug, etc.

My hatred is not unfounded, so shut the hell up, kthxbaizomglolz.

58. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2005, 22:25 Inali

"Anyone else think that this guy is indeed the Devil, ahem, Derek Smart"

That isnt DS. It is one of his minions though. DS does have his name registered here... but apparently not enough kittens/goats/babies have been sacrificed to summon him yet.

57. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2005, 22:24 sponge

the hammond organ isnt just in musak you moron - ever heard a little tune called "Born to be Wild"?? and try about 40% of all the other 70s rock tunes as well..

Next thing you'll try and convince me that white latex spandex suits are stylish.

56. No subject Feb 11, 2005, 21:59 space captain

this shit is laughable

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

55. Re: This you need to explain to me Feb 11, 2005, 21:42 Hump

I wish D. Smart would post on blues. It's more fun we he posts

to Dereks credit he has been doing pretty well about not reacting to threads like this lately (or I'm just missing it).

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes I dream about....cheese. Here, have a medkit"
- Half Life 2 NPC

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

54. LOL Feb 11, 2005, 21:33 The Half Elf

I gave BC3000ad a shot. And it's the only open piece of gaming software that I know of that Best Buy has ever returned due to being craptacular.

I mean I actually might give his entire series another look if he arcaded the controls alot more.

Derek Smart has some great ideas, but no concept of how to program them into a game that is FUN to play.

Not to mention that I have no respect for the man, due to his entire lack of being professional, and for his outright lies, up to and including his PhD.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

53. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2005, 21:27 B M

I'm an indie game developer, and I can say this:

Derek Smart is the devil, makes shitty games, and gets way too much egotistical satisfaction out of the fact he's a "game programmer."

He gives the industry a bad name; the people flaming him are the people that make me believe that people still have common sense

Fist of all. You are a damn liar. You are no indie developer becuase if you were you would respect Derek smart not post assinine crap like the rest of the morons in this thread.

I am so sick of all the immature little half wits that make one Ridiculous post after the next in these threads. Its stupid, its Childish and 99% of it us completely undeserved garbage. You guys just pathetic mob mentality trash. The lot of you. You would probably rape women and Children given the opportunity would'nt you. You disgust me.

Are any of you honestly (if you enven know the word) trying to say that anything Smart has posted is worse than the total Crap pile of posts in this thread and others just like it? hardly.

The Battlecruiser games and the current Universal Combat games are pretty entertaining for a space sim. its obvious that even 1/10 of you have even tried one of these games recently or gave it a fair shot. They are totally Different than any other game out there and for sure will be right up the alley for some.

Grow some "common sense" and try one out for more than 2 seconds and see for yourself. That is *if* you are a space sim type.

I have played a lot of crap games over the years. This is hardly a crap series its just eccentric.
-------------------------------------

Anyone else think that this guy is indeed the Devil, ahem, Derek Smart

52. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2005, 21:24 Krovven

You are no indie developer becuase if you were you would respect Derek smart not post assinine crap like the rest of the morons in this thread.

Obviously you aren't familiar with Derek Smart. He is a low life and a prick, regardless of whether he is an indie developer or a star studded one. He treats his own customers like absolute shit, and makes crappy bug infested games.

Are any of you honestly (if you enven know the word) trying to say that anything Smart has posted is worse than the total Crap pile of posts in this thread and others just like it? hardly.

Well you just made it obvious that you don't know anything about Derek Smart, so maybe you shouldn't be defending him. What's funny is your post reads an awfull lot like something Derek Smart would write to defend himself.

This is hardly a crap series its just eccentric.

Oh I get it...you actually like his garbage games. I feel so sorry for you.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com
This comment was edited on Feb 11, 21:25.

51. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2005, 21:17 Hellbinder

I'm an indie game developer, and I can say this:

Derek Smart is the devil, makes shitty games, and gets way too much egotistical satisfaction out of the fact he's a "game programmer."

He gives the industry a bad name; the people flaming him are the people that make me believe that people still have common sense

I am so sick of all the immature little half wits that make one Ridiculous post after the next in these threads. Its stupid, its Childish and 99% of it us completely undeserved garbage. You guys just pathetic mob mentality trash. The lot of you. You would probably rape women and Children given the opportunity would'nt you. You disgust me.

The Battlecruiser games and the current Universal Combat games are pretty entertaining for a space sim. its obvious that even 1/10 of you have even tried one of these games recently or gave it a fair shot. They are totally Different than any other game out there and for sure will be right up the alley for some.

Grow some "common sense" and try one out for more than 2 seconds and see for yourself. That is *if* you are a space sim type.

I have played a lot of crap games over the years. This is hardly a crap series its just eccentric.

Pentium 4 3.12ghz 800 FSB HT
Abit IC7-G MAXX2
1G Corsair DDR-400
40GB Raptor 10,000RPM SATA
120GB 7,000RPM SATA
[b]Radeon 9800XT 425/382 (CAT3.8/DX9) [color=red]3Dmark03 7074[/color][/b]
[color=blueompare [url]http://service.futuremark.com/compar

The Whales name is Bob.

50. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2005, 21:16 Krovven

I've never played the Hammond Organ but I know damn well that sucks.

Obviously you aren't a musician. And honestly, I'd say its safe to say you don't know what you are talking about if you think a Hammond Organ sucks.

It's really about as stupid as saying Gibson Guitars suck.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com
This comment was edited on Feb 11, 21:17.

49. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2005, 21:11 Hollowguy

The wacky part is, I wanted to get a look at the game. Launch after installed gave me a window on my desktop that is completely black. Nothing else happens. Even reinstalled the bastard and still no love.

I got a "not responding" message about the installer twice before it actually "kicked" in. After it was installed, I started it up and got that window for a second then it went full screen said 'DreamCatcher' - then it went back to that window again then back to full screen saying '3000AD', etc.

I thought it was odd, but it ended up working...until...I realized I'd rather not be playing it at this time.

48. No subject Feb 11, 2005, 21:10 B M

Apparently Dr. Derek Smart's phd stands for
'Pimp 'n Ho Degree'.

47. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2005, 21:10 Hollowguy

edit: removing double post
This comment was edited on Feb 11, 21:12.

46. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2005, 21:03 Hollowguy

...I'll post impressions in a bit...

Actually...I recently got home from a 23 hour shift at work, and the last thing I feel like doing is reading a 38 page tutorial to play a demo.

I'll mess with it over the weekend and post thoughts afterwards...if anyone is interested.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo