Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

So here's the follow-up on the BlueTruck... it is indeed no longer ours. Uncomfortable with its mysterious electrical woes, and recognizing that we had a strong desire for reliability (and a little gas mileage improvement), we indeed followed up on the Honda Accord concept. We found a good deal in a certified pre-owned car, and have a bit of remaining factory warranty as well as our certified warranty to work out the kinks. We will see going forward how well suited this will be to a pair of medium-to-large-sized doggies, but we are pretty confident this will be fine too, so we are pretty pleased at how we've worked this all out.

Play Time: Mushroom Life.
Stories of the Day: Hot and Bothered Australian Spiders Head Indoors.
Science!: U.S. Scientists Say They Are Told to Alter Findings.
Time in the future seems to go further.
Saturn's moon is Death Star's twin. That's no moon...
Images of the Day: Blue and Moon: Mimas Revisited. Thanks zombie69.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
Media of the Day: Best of Hubble.
Auction of the Day: Advertising space: place you advert on my bump. Thanks Rob.
At Auction: Worth Her Weight in Gold (registration required).
Follow-ups: Entrepreneurs Vow Outer-Space Vacations. Can we just send all the too-rich passengers on one-way trips?
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

60. Re: She Blinded Me With Science... Feb 12, 2005, 11:55 Enahs

I really doubt that it means 60 Nobel laureates who also happen to be former federal agency directors and university chairs and presidents.

Right?

Correct.

If JediLuke was around he would explain the proper usage of en dashes and explain technically how it is describing the larger group.

Easy mistake to make, as the first time I thought the same thing Halsy said, untill it was pointed out. Damn you grammar!

_____
Enahs

Hey this is Carl, New Jersey rules you backwards retarded creep.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: She Blinded Me With Science... Feb 12, 2005, 11:46 WarPig

This is how I read it.

Over 60 leading scientists, some being Nobel laureates, some being leading medical experts, some being former federal agency directors, and some being university chairs and presidents, all signed the statement below.

I really doubt that it means 60 Nobel laureates who also happen to be former federal agency directors and university chairs and presidents.

Right?

-------------------------------------------------------
"We're innocent critters squashed on the highway of life!"

GO SEAHAWKS!

58. Re: She Blinded Me With Science... Feb 12, 2005, 10:30 Enahs

No, he is right, is does not say 60 noble laureates. It says over 60 leading scientist, then it categorizes those 60.

"On February 18, 2004, over 60 leading scientists–Nobel laureates, leading medical experts, former federal agency directors, and university chairs and presidents–signed the statement below"

_____
Enahs

- W. C. Fields

57. Hay? Feb 12, 2005, 10:28 xXBatmanXx

Sat morn news?

BLUE. I NEED AN UPDATE!

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman

Just say NO to drugs propaganda.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

56. Re: She Blinded Me With Science... Feb 12, 2005, 08:58 Halsy

No, it states 'over 60 leading scientists including Nobel laureates etc.'

Reading comprehension problems?

over 60 leading scientists–Nobel laureates,

"Martin Luther was a German fellow who pinned a note on a church door that said, 'Hang on a minute!' Actually, he was German so it said, 'Ein minuten bitte!'"
- Eddie Izzard

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

55. Meth - ed acting Feb 11, 2005, 23:46 WarPig

Wow, it looks like sarge is in bad shape.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050211/people_nm/crime_sizemore_dc

-------------------------------------------------------
"We're innocent critters squashed on the highway of life!"

GO SEAHAWKS!

54. Re: Mushroom Feb 11, 2005, 22:45 Jojo BoZley

JoeBlow

Man, you make me long for "the dude" who used to post regularly here. What a waste of drive space on this server.

53. Re: Dell Feb 11, 2005, 22:24 Tango

Wait.. you mean they swapped in a new hard disk (nice gesture), and then didn't clone all the data over from the old one? And/or give you the old one back?
Yup, that's what I mean. It was a bit odd, they didn't consult me. Do I care? Nope. Did I lose some data? Yep. Was it important? Nope. It wasn't exactly a "pr0nbook" (I swear!) but what was on it was about as useful

Anyway, I'm not complaining.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 22:26.

52. Re: She Blinded Me With Science... Feb 11, 2005, 21:27 Tim

- including 60 Nobel winners -

No, it states 'over 60 leading scientists including Nobel laureates etc.'

I can't wait for a real eugenics movement, i'm bored by short people.

51. Re: She Blinded Me With Science... Feb 11, 2005, 21:21 Enahs

This isn't just little white lies Enah, we're talking whoppers here. We're talking about impeding scientific process severely to satisfy big business.

Yes, and if you wade through the history books and the propaganda, you can find for almost any president and other administrations whoppers just as big, and many are still being covered up. We now live in an age where the internet and technology has provided new forms and way for people to communicate, and allow the “truths” to come out. If the people under the previous 15 administrations (in any country mind you) had that power, it would be no different….you your self have pointed out before old lies and disinformation before about other presidents….nobody wants to compromise any more so we all that is really going on is flipping back and forth between two different ideologies in the Whitehouse for the past 50+ years. Neither is right or wrong…but neither is willing to compromise (or the people that follow them).

Again, as I said in the second paragraph of the post you quoted, it has nothing to do with defending Bush; it has to do with accusing Bush & Co of something, something that “your own side” has done/does do in a arrogant smug manner as if your side has never done anything of the sorts, and then getting “upset” if someone choose to point out mistakes (even if they are just ideology mistakes to that person) about “your side”, ect.

I personally can care less about the current administration or the next one or any previous ones, as I am going to build an interstellar space ship with an igloo cooler and some gasoline!

P.S. Being grounded from the knee trouble I did not record Enterprise, I actually watched it. It was quite a let down.

_____
Enahs

- W. C. Fields

50. Re: She Blinded Me With Science... Feb 11, 2005, 20:48 Halsy

Prove you wrong? Is your sense of reality so warped that you refuse to believe that politicians lie, abuse and misrepresent information (and subsequently have other people do the same)? Politicians believe they are right, and for the better good they have to do minor wrongs (in their opinions), all politicians do it

It's one thing to spin the facts, and another to force people into lying or getting canned. From the EPA, to the countless other scientists who work through the government, to their representative body in the NAS (National Academy of Sciences), never have scientists come out in agreement like they have in saying the Bush adminsitration seriously distorts - and even outright lie - their findings to support their position on things. Scientists have lost jobs and/or been censured for trying to provide the facts which Bushco does not want to hear.

This isn't just little white lies Enah, we're talking whoppers here. We're talking about impeding scientific process severely to satisfy big business.

From a great article in the Washington Monthly you need to read....

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2003/0307.thompson.html

When required to seek input from scientists, the administration tends to actively recruit those few who will bolster the positions it already knows it wants to support, even if that means defying scientific consensus.

Here's the Union of Concerned Scientists which comprises 5000 of America's top scientists - including 60 Nobel winners - that are against Bush.

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_environment/rsi/page.cfm?pageID=1320

From their website....

On February 18, 2004, over 60 leading scientists–Nobel laureates, leading medical experts, former federal agency directors, and university chairs and presidents–signed the statement below, voicing their concern over the misuse of science by the Bush administration. UCS is seeking the signatures of thousands of additional U.S. scientists in support of this effort.

Another 48 Nobel Laureates here...
http://www.scientistsandengineersforchange.org/nobelletter.php

Shall I go on? There's a lot more I can cite. Tell me again who's denying reality here?

"Martin Luther was a German fellow who pinned a note on a church door that said, 'Hang on a minute!' Actually, he was German so it said, 'Ein minuten bitte!'"
- Eddie Izzard

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

49. Re: She Blinded Me With Science... Feb 11, 2005, 18:44 Enahs

I call BS. Feel free to prove me wrong. Find me an example of this type of report appearing during a time when Democrats were in power.

Prove you wrong? Is your sense of reality so warped that you refuse to believe that politicians lie, abuse and misrepresent information (and subsequently have other people do the same)? Politicians believe they are right, and for the better good they have to do minor wrongs (in their opinions), all politicians do it. I have no desire to go through history and find examples where people working for or with the government have said they where asked to lie. Or better yet, how about all the people that have been asked to lie do so and never say anything about it? You do not really think all politicians before Bush where squeaky clean honest people that never asked anybody to lie for them or falsify information?

Re-read what I said, it was not in defense of “Bush”, it was rebutting an argument that was presented in an arrogant way, as if in the history of man only Bush & Co have done something of the sort and that “the other side” was “with out sin” in respect to said topic…both sides have done it equally. I am sorry you do not like Bush, but that does not mean you have to completely deny reality about people “on the other side” of Bush.

_____
Enahs

- W. C. Fields

48. Re: She Blinded Me With Science... Feb 11, 2005, 18:08 Bodolza

But if you are going to be so naive to believe that only Republicans and Conservatives try and to employ tactics like that, there is no point in discussing anything.

I call BS. Feel free to prove me wrong. Find me an example of this type of report appearing during a time when Democrats were in power. Name another time in history when something like this http://www.ucsusa.org/global_environment/rsi/page.cfm?pageID=1320
occcured.

All the evidence I've seen points to this administration being unequaled in their abuse of science, even among Republicans.

-B

47. "Uphill both ways,"... Feb 11, 2005, 17:33 Killer Kane

i thought it was
"you were LUCKY , we lived in a matchbox on the freeway divider , our mother would wake us up 2 hours befor we went to sleep , and every night our father would cut us in half with a butcher knife" !
..."you had a BUTCHER KNIFE ??? you were LUCKY" !

46. "…your smarter than that." Feb 11, 2005, 17:28 Killer Kane

no....he isnt

45. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2005, 17:07 Tim

wtf is a Honda Accord concept? a Hybrid?

By concept he means concept. They followed up on the concept of getting the Honda Accord.

should have used conception or notion.

I can't wait for a real eugenics movement, i'm bored by short people.

44. Warhawk's Movie Quote Feb 11, 2005, 17:03 Syntarsus

O Brother Where Art Thou, one of my favorites from that year.

The quote works better, though, with Tim Blake Nelson's punchline.

43. Re: Dell Feb 11, 2005, 16:37 Cynips

The guy in the office next to me keeps a wooden club with the note "Dell emergency repair kit" on it. After five years of replacement hell, he finally sued them and they settled out of court. He's now the proud owner of a Powerbook G4.
On the other hand I used a desktop replacement Dell at my last work and my only complaint was with the specific touchpad drivers not being installed from start (and the IT guys at work didn't have a clue...).

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 16:37.

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

42. Re: Dell Feb 11, 2005, 15:36 Quaternion

Uphill both ways, all of it through 3 feet of snow, with the wind always in your face?

Agh! You beat me to it!

41. Re: car swap... Feb 11, 2005, 15:17 Yosemite Sam

Excellent car blue you wont be dissapointed. Keep up regular maintenence and it will run forever.

As the proud owner of a 89 Honda with over 140k miles on it I must say the thing just never gives up. While I've had to replace minor things like the alternator and muffler, and as bad as i am at car maintence it has done quite well. And my next car will be a honda as well.

If you have not replaced the t-belt yet you had better get it done, very costly if that breaks, should be changed every 120 thousand km.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo