Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Painkiller Gold/Black Editions

A pair of announcements for new Painkiller packages that will combine Painkiller and the Battle Out of Hell add-on in one box. There are plans for a package called Painkiller Gold for North America, and one called Painkiller Black for Europe. This is the description of Painkiller Gold:

Toronto, Canada – February 9, 2005 – DreamCatcher Games today announced Painkiller: Gold Edition, a special edition package for Computer Gaming World’s “Single-Player Shooter of the Year,” Painkiller. Available in March 2005, the special DVD set will include both the award winning original version and its expansion pack, Battle out of Hell.

As a special bonus, the DVD will also contain a "Making-Of" video feature with developer interviews, the Painkiller title track music video by rock band Mech, the upcoming Painkiller Xbox® trailer, Mapping/Editing tools and documentation, as well as over a dozen Cyberathlete® Professional League (CPL) enhancements.

"As the official title of the CPL World Tour, Painkiller is speeding along on its journey of becoming an extremely successful franchise," says Byron Gaum, Product Manager at DreamCatcher. “With the Gold Edition, we are excited to offer gamers everything the original game had to offer, as well as the added features from the expansion.”

The storyline
Trapped in a dark and unwelcoming world awaiting purification for earthly sins, players must fight through an endless number of enemy warriors as they attempt to stop the imminent unholy war and overthrow Lucifer. But even if they win this insane battle, players must still take out hoards of howling devils, eager to avenge their master.

Game features:

• FRANTIC SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN: 34 levels of non-stop action crowded with 80 different enemy species and gigantic final bosses.

• ADRENALINE FUELED GAMEPLAY: Blast your way through 15 maps and 7 Multiplayer modes using 14 incredible weapons, including the mythical Painkiller, named “Best Weapon” as part of Computer Gaming World’s ‘2004 Games of the Year.’

• IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE: furious soundtrack and real-life physics using the world's most advanced physic engine Havok 2.0.

• STATE-OF-THE-ART GRAPHICS: thanks to the updated PAIN engine, pin hyper detailed enemies to the walls or blow everything up in completely unique and varied environments including the highly acclaimed "Hell" level.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Cool Feb 10, 2005, 20:09 Fantaz

Cool, I might buy this one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Nice, but too late. Feb 10, 2005, 14:07 Rirath

I do hope to see increased difficulty in a Painkiller 2, but at least the black tarot challenges give a little something extra. Looking forward to replaying on Trauma at any rate.

"While I would say HL2 is FPS GoTY, I'd still put Painkiller in 2nd place over Far Cry, and Doom 3 a distant 4th."

Agreed, though I've enjoyed them all regardless.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 14:34.

27. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2005, 11:46 xXBatmanXx

With you having pointed it out I reread what you said in response to my quote. Now you just come across as being even more screwed up. You have more issues than I think any of us imagined since you are telling yourself you are contradicting yourself in your own post, while responding my my post. Issues, major issues.

See, I am not the only one that thinks this! This is fun.

/edit: I thought the game was ok, but I didn't play all the way through. Might revisit. Although I probably can't enjoy it as much as Jokeski since I am not such a leet gamer that I played all of the way through on "Nightmare". Ladies and gentleman, not only is he more "mature" in his higher thought process, but now he is also a 1337 gamer!

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman

Just say NO to DRUGS propaganda.
This comment was edited on Feb 10, 11:48.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

26. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2005, 11:20 Krovven

With you having pointed it out I reread what you said in response to my quote. Now you just come across as being even more screwed up. You have more issues than I think any of us imagined since you are telling yourself you are contradicting yourself in your own post, while responding my my post. Issues, major issues.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

25. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2005, 10:52 JosephBlowski

I think we have a communication problem Dagok. I do not understand what you are saying. What is it you need enlightenment on? I was agreeing with you that it is odd for a person to contradict themselves knowingly.

I think you must be paranoid and interpreted what I said as me telling you that you contradicted yourself. It is so hard to really understand people on the internet. Did I get it right this time?

24. Re: JosephBlowski Feb 10, 2005, 10:42 JosephBlowski

"STFU Blowkowski"

There is no need for me to say anything about Zephaleph, his own words demonstrate the type of man he is.

23. Re: Computer Gaming World? Feb 10, 2005, 10:40 Krovven

but to put it above HL2 or Doom3

While I didn't have as much of a problem with Doom 3 as everyone else did...Painkiller was a far superior game, imo. Can tell you right now, my $30 spent on Painkiller gave me a ton more entertainment than Doom 3 did at $60. Painkiller offers up more time with gameplay if you go after the alternate objectives to shoot for on each map(unlocking the cards).

I have even played thru Painkiller twice, well 1.8 times. I havent gotten around to finishing the last couple of levels since HL2 and WoW have kept me busy for the last 4 months. Haven't gotten around to playing the expansion yet either, but I think I might do that next week.

While I would say HL2 is FPS GoTY, I'd still put Painkiller in 2nd place over Far Cry, and Doom 3 a distant 4th.

22. No subject Feb 10, 2005, 10:39 Darks

Personally I can see buying another copy of this game, Now if they added Coop then this would be a great buy and a bigger selling point for the game but the dev team is jsut looking for another quick sale. I hate gold editions becasue al lthey are is a few new maps or tweaks added and which is not worth buying any gold release of any game.

- Rick

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

21. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2005, 10:30 Krovven

That is odd, for a person to contradict themselves like that.

Please do enlighten us. I did not contradict myself at all. As usual you are making shit up. And I didn't call anyone names...get some glasses or learn to read.

20. Computer Gaming World? Feb 10, 2005, 09:14 Paranoid Jack

They must have been forgotten... never got thier free media copies of HL2. Picking Painkiller for any Game of the Year Award is total unexplainable. My guess it's all about selling a few more copies of the magazine.

I also realize for somebody it may have been the best FPS they played but to put it above HL2 or Doom3... come on. Only thing I can assume is that they didn't even play Doom3 or HL2.

19. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2005, 07:55  famished 

"There are just a few mistakes but they are so big I think they ruined their chances to knock DOOM and HL2 off the top of the ladder. "

This never had a chance to be at the top.

18. Re: JosephBlowski Feb 10, 2005, 07:55 Sphinx

Some liked it, some didn't the rest are idiots. How totally unexpected

Fixed.

http://www.sphinx-sanitarium.com

17. Re: JosephBlowski Feb 10, 2005, 06:27 Tango

Some liked it, some didn't. How totally unexpected

16. Re: JosephBlowski Feb 10, 2005, 01:52 Zephalephelah

STFU Blowkowski

Anyway, I thought the levels were pure genius in action. I didn't mind at all that there wasn't a lot of reason for it. It kept things interesting.

The expansion was utter trash compared to the original. The models were all rounded and lacked the artistic ability of the modeler for the Painkiller game. I played it for an hour, removed it, and took the game back. It was shit. I loved the original game though. Compelling.

15. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2005, 01:32 JosephBlowski

"Funny how people complain about games that focus on one location style (Doom 3 & Far Cry...yes people complained about all the islands looking the same.), but when there is a game that offers up alot of map variety you complain about that too."

That is odd, for a person to contradict themselves like that. Is the person(s) you have in mind aware that they are contradicting themselves? Lots of people never realize what they do. It is like they are blind to their own actions. Instead of calling them a complainer, maybe you shoud check and see if they know that they have confused you with their contradictory opinions? They might clear your confusion up right away with no need for you to call them names.

14. Re: Nice, but too late. Feb 10, 2005, 01:28 JosephBlowski

"Anyone who's played a good amount of multiplayer FPS should be used to being dropped in a random map anyway"

Interesting. Serious Sam, Quake, Half Life, Half Life 2, DOOM, Armed and Dangerous, Unreal, Unreal II...the ones that come immediately to mind, all had a series of maps with 1 theme. I must have missed the games you are talking about. They are so unique I didn't even know they existed. I will give you the jump in HL from Black Mesa to Xen. That was one oddball jump.

"The cutscenes weren't that bad at all"
I guess we all have different experiences and expectations. I have watched lots of cutscenes. I am spoiled by Diablo, Warcraft, Dawn of War. I also watch animation for enjoyment. There are many student demo reels I have seen with better producution quality than the painkiller cutscenes.

"And the enemies... seriously, what's wrong with the enemies?
Different expectations again. Serious Sam was what? 3 or 4 years ago? Isn't Halo that old? I expected Painkiller, being released last year I believe, to show something better than 4 year old games. I am decent at FPS games. Painkiller was too easy. I played nightmare and basically walked thru it. I have to play with the weakest weapons to make it challenging. Whatever label you put on that, that was my dissatisfaction with the enemies.

13. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2005, 00:42 Krovven

The problem with the maps? There is no continuity.

Actually, the story you say is OK, explains that the different locales are places in Hell, or inbetween hell and earth...something like that, I dont really recall since it's been awhile. But you are going to the places to find Alastor and that other bad guys.

Funny how people complain about games that focus on one location style (Doom 3 & Far Cry...yes people complained about all the islands looking the same.), but when there is a game that offers up alot of map variety you complain about that too.

12. Re: Nice, but too late. Feb 9, 2005, 23:48 Elf Shot The Food

That was something I liked about the game; I couldn't wait to see what the next level/set of enemies was going to look like.

11. Nice, but too late. Feb 9, 2005, 23:42 Rirath

Well, I'd be hyped about this if they'd done it back when the expansion first came out. I was waiting for this, since I hadn't played the original yet past the first demo. But, they didn't... so now I've already got the original for a mere $20, and the same day I got it, they released that great 300MB patch giving me better graphics and more levels.

Considering opinions of the expansion are rather low, even by fans of the original (including myself), I'll happily stick with what I have.

--

As for the level designs having nothing to do with each other, I completely love that. I knew the whole game would not be that one town level from the start, the demo made that rather clear I thought. It completely breaks up the boredom to explore so many scenarios across so many map types. Anyone who's played a good amount of multiplayer FPS should be used to being dropped in a random map anyway.

The cutscenes weren't that bad at all. They weren't exactly groundbreaking, but honestly I don't know who'd expect that. I expected Serious Sam / Doom style carnage, and that's what I got. The story / cutscenes were certainly better than Serious Sam's annoying text-a-thon.

And the enemies... seriously, what's wrong with the enemies? So they're no Far Cry or Half Life 2, sure... but they fit their role perfectly. They're cannon fodder... easily comparible and in many ways better than the baddies of Sam and Halo 1/2. In Painkiller 2 I'd like to see some true tactics and such, sure, but again I think anyone expecting that here is simply playing the wrong game.

10. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2005, 23:36 Elf Shot The Food

This game ran quite well for me on a middling system and a cheap video card (FX 5200); the only concessions I made were turning off dynamic lighting and character shadows, and running it at 800x600. Other than that, all the visual details were turned up, and the gameplay was fast.

A little while ago I got a better video card, and I was able to turn the settings up some more. However, a couple of levels in the expansion (Dead City and Stalingrad) did run poorly.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo