Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

3D Gamers and IGN/GameSpy

IGN Entertainment Acquires 3D Gamers, an Online Pioneer in the Delivery of Gaming News and Downloads is the press release announcing that our good friends at 3D Gamers have joined on with IGN/GameSpy industries, joining FilePlanet as part of their distribution network. Here's a quote on this from IGN CEO Mark Jung: "3D Gamers is a well-respected pioneer in the gaming world and has garnered an enthusiastic and loyal audience. Having FilePlanet, Direct2Drive and 3D Gamers in our portfolio solidifies our ability to offer game publishers an incredible opportunity to reach the largest and most active audience of game file downloaders. Consumers of downloadable game content also will benefit from the web's widest and deepest array of games, game files and news."

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

82. Re: iam sorry but..... Feb 11, 2005, 00:34  Xymph 

Sixis wrote:
You do know you have, like, bosses now? Who can tell you what to do?
Yeah, that may take some getting used to, after having left the corporate world in 1998 and starting here at Blue's in 1999. But of course we've met them before signing and guess what... they're actually nice people. %):D

Anyway, after you've upcoming corporate sodomization you can reinvest your profits into another venture, with which I wish you good luck!
LOL. Thanks... I think. :o;P

-- Frans
3D Gamers admin, http://www.3dgamers.com/

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

81. Re: I will watch curiously Feb 11, 2005, 00:13  Xymph 

MajorGeeks wrote:
I would have never sold 3dfiles.com had I known what was going to happen. At the time, I thought everyone was making so much money and buying stuff up, it would be ok. Sure, they had similar sites, but who cared? It was a short ride to realizing were were owned by a typical corporation and a little shorter before we were out of work watching our paper money tumble with the dot com crash and lost our beloved website.
Yes, that was a real shame. But those were different times as well. As evidenced by all their acquisitions, IGN's strategy is to expand using sites that increase their coverage in different areas of the 'net, and that only works by keeping those sites alive and improve them. Nobody can look into the future and the 'net is a volatile place, but for the next several years I think this is a viable approach.

We were courted and promised all the same things I am reading about now. Hope it works out, but I hope even more you got a iron clad contract and CASH up front.
Yes, I think we've got a good contract (our lawyers were damn expensive enough %)) and we're very well off financially, thank you. We also have employment/contractor contracts for two years, which I think is a good indication of IGN's commitment to this deal.

The stories I could tell... The internet has come back, and to a decent level and hopefully it planes off here and sustains.
Right... I think the biz is a lot more stable than 4-5 years ago.

Best of luck Frans, we go way, way back brother and you deserve it. I understand after working for as long and hard as you have wanting to do this. We always hoped, for one reason, to bring 3dfiles to the next level (beyond what 2 guys could do alone) when we sold and I hope it works better for you!
Thanks Tim, much appreciated. We're not just hoping but also working hard for the best too.

-- Frans

-- Frans

80. Re: ... Feb 10, 2005, 23:32  Xymph 

Mustang60348 wrote:
In the not too distant future you will see 3dgamers host exclusive demo/betas, mark my words, even though they signed a petition saying they wouldn't. They are on the other side of the fence now and the tune will change.
I couldn't reply on this yesterday (and seem to have driven Overon to the brink by that ;P) because this was still being discussed. Now it indeed looks like "exclusive" demo releases may happen occasionally on 3D Gamers, 3DG & FP together, or (as before) just on FilePlanet.

Personally I don't like or enjoy that, but I don't have much influence on it. Under the terms of the deal I retain full editorial control over the content of 3D Gamers, but IGN owns the site and determines the advertising, marketing and promotions on it. Those demo deals fall in that area, so IGN is calling the shots there. So I guess the other sites of the petition will have to carry on without 3D Gamers.

-- Frans

-- Frans

79. Re: Please keep those .torrents free Feb 10, 2005, 08:10 Beady

By keeping those torrents running your helping communis...gamespy!

78. Please keep those .torrents free Feb 10, 2005, 00:06 MrJonesPY

I love the .torrent from 3dgamers.com, I always left the bittorent client opened in order to help Frans

77. I will watch curiously Feb 10, 2005, 00:02 MajorGeeks

I would have never sold 3dfiles.com had I known what was going to happen. At the time, I thought everyone was making so much money and buying stuff up, it would be ok. Sure, they had similar sites, but who cared? It was a short ride to realizing were were owned by a typical corporation and a little shorter before we were out of work watching our paper money tumble with the dot com crash and lost our beloved website. We were courted and promised all the same things I am reading about now. Hope it works out, but I hope even more you got a iron clad contract and CASH up front. The stories I could tell... The internet has come back, and to a decent level and hopefully it planes off here and sustains.

Best of luck Frans, we go way, way back brother and you deserve it. I understand after working for as long and hard as you have wanting to do this. We always hoped, for one reason, to bring 3dfiles to the next level (beyond what 2 guys could do alone) when we sold and I hope it works better for you!

http://www.majorgeeks.com

76. No subject Feb 9, 2005, 23:28 Pete

this doesnt sound that bad now that frans explained it

swg free and loving it

Doin' it Big

75. Re: Nobody Expects the GameSpy Acquisiti Feb 9, 2005, 22:58 mystery8

guess they'll have to start using DVDs or somethin though cause PCG CDs lately are crap imo, because they just can't fit demos on CDs like they used to

I wish they'd switch to DVDs too. I miss getting like 4 demos, some patches and mods all one on CD each month.

Thanks for replying Frans. I've always liked 3dGamers as a source of screenshots & movies for upcoming games, patches and hard to find files for older games. I hope this turns out well.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 22:59.

74. Re: Nobody Expects the GameSpy Acquisiti Feb 9, 2005, 22:00 doktor_tchock

thing is i just have a weird thing about paying for something so intangible as access to a website or a digital download. i'd rather have a stack of papers and a plastic disc for my money.

73. Re: Nobody Expects the GameSpy Acquisiti Feb 9, 2005, 21:47 dubfanatic

these companies are gonna drive everyone back to mags.

You do realize most magazines are owned by media conglomerates or wanna-be media conglomerates (eg IGN/GameSpy)? Magazines are no better.

72. Re: Nobody Expects the GameSpy Acquisiti Feb 9, 2005, 21:37 doktor_tchock

awesome subject line ReverendTed.

these companies are gonna drive everyone back to mags. i remember getting my pc gamers and being so excited to try all the demos on the disc. those were the days. anyway here's the progression i envision:

magazine demo discs --> good internet sites --> shitty and annoying internet sites (where we are now!) --> magazine demo discs

guess they'll have to start using DVDs or somethin though cause PCG CDs lately are crap imo, because they just can't fit demos on CDs like they used to

71. Nobody Expects the GameSpy Acquisition! Feb 9, 2005, 21:19 ReverendTed

Hey, Frans - really appreciate you taking the time to come here and respond to our concerns.
I'll admit, I'm skeptical, but hopeful. I've always picked a 3DGamers link over any other service (especially FilePlanet) and am hopeful the changes to your service will be as superficial as possible.
If that's the case, then congrats!

70. Re: lol Feb 9, 2005, 21:12 Igor

Awesome.. another site bought out.. why did they need 3d Gamers? They already had FilePlanet, it's just buying out the website like when Microsoft bought out Mosaic. Nuff said.

69. Re: iam sorry but..... Feb 9, 2005, 19:53 Sixis

Yea, thanks Frans, you've always been a friend to Blue's and the gaming community.

You do know you have, like, bosses now? Who can tell you what to do? And they do tend to lie...God, I hope you had an excellent attorney vet that contract.

Anyway, after you've upcoming corporate sodomization you can reinvest your profits into another venture, with which I wish you good luck!

68. Re: iam sorry but..... Feb 9, 2005, 19:29 Ihya

Yes thanks Frans for your time. Some people here are annoyed at you for whatever reasons at what's happened, but you have not dodged a question yet, or replied with one I don't like. I'll still make use of your website

67. Re: iam sorry but..... Feb 9, 2005, 19:16 Beamer

Didn't even notice the 3D Gamers guy posted here. I just never put it together.

As for VE3D, they had been downhill for a while. Billy gave them heart while he was functional. Apache was great for news, but Billy gave them personality. It improved when he left, given that it had kind of been run into the ground, but it kept getting worse and worse. Eventually ever story was a European story, of entirely no use to me. I still hung around for the boards.

IGN came in and killed the boards. I went from visiting VE3D hourly to, honestly, maybe 10 times since the changeover. Maybe less. Losing the boards was the final straw for me. I didn't care about sales figures in the UK, and I had no one to converse with.

I'd been a reader of Blue since '96. I always saw him as a more reliable news site, but a less entertaining one. He was my backup to VE3D. I came here right away, and realized that no longer being a teenager makes me appreciate Blue's personality much, much more. I love this place.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

66. Re: ... Feb 9, 2005, 19:07 Mustang60348

Remember guys, Money talks and BS walks.

In the not too distant future you will see 3dgamers host exclusive demo/betas, mark my words, even though they signed a petition saying they wouldn't. They are on the other side of the fence now and the tune will change.

It is the nature of the best.

GS/IGN are slowly but surely gobbling up the 'free' sites one by one , until you wake up one morning and find that there aren't any left.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 19:08.

65. ... Feb 9, 2005, 18:31 negface

*jumps away from news in slow-motion*

Nooooooo...

64. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2005, 18:16 4D-Boxing

Best of luck to the people at 3DGamers! Gamespy/IGN ouch... but smart move the guys at 3DGamers deserve a big payday after all they've done for gamers (free downloads & no registration). I hope things stay the same if not well another site will pick up where they left off Kind of like how Blue became my #1 news site after voodooextreme went IGN.

63. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2005, 18:11 Overon

Frans answer the question. Your site as well as a bunch of others signed a petition that said you would not host exclusive demos even after their exclusivity ended in order to protest gheyspy's fileplant's exclusive demos/betas. What about now that you no longer own 3dgamers?

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo