Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Chinese New Year! Today marks the start of the Year of the Rooster, though I'll be writing Year of the Monkey on my checks for weeks still (I'll never get tired of that one). Apparently this is a Green Wood Chicken New Year if you delve further into it.

My New Year's Eve, as it were, was spent in a local town court, paying a debt to society that my right foot ran up for me a couple of months ago. As always, Officer Trooper was pleasant and professional, and my answer to his question of how fast I thought I was going ("probably a bit faster than you wrote me up for") seemed to be the correct one based on its honesty, and my plea bargain ended up as failure to observe a traffic sign, rather than speeding.

I have a further debt to pay today, as Dr. Toothy wanted me back, muttering something about not liking the state of my gums, which is not what you want to hear by a long stretch.

Finally, thanks Dan for sending this troubleshooting page: Flash TechNote - Macromedia Flash Player uses all CPU cycles during playback, which describes the 100% CPU problem some users are encountering here as illusory, saying that Flash will happily relinquish CPU cycles to applications that request them. Clearly the description of how these ads (the Splinter Cell ad has been specifically earmarked as problematic) are bogging down some users' systems demonstrates that this is not working as described. A reader named Majid described the problem as attributable to "poorly optimized" Flash, something echoed by Chris from AMDZone, so while still seeking out further info on this, I will look into this optimization question.

R.I.P.: Doobie Brothers Drummer Knudsen Dies. Thanks Mike Martinez.

Links of the Day: Anti-crime Roadster. Thanks Devicer.
The Cult of Mac Blog. Home of the phallic iPod battery icon. Thanks Devicer.
Food Sculpture.
Stories of the Day: Burglars get unwanted Valentine's card.
Mohawk-Wearing Teen Survives Scalping. WTF?
Couch potato contentment.
Science!: Astronomers: Planets may be diamond makers.
Mutation Makes Rats More Sensitive to Alcohol's Effects. Mutated rats make far more drunk calls.
Eating Well Selling Wholesomeness in the Breakfast Bowl (registration required).
Images of the Day: Apollo 11 - 17 Mission First man on the Moon - Fullscreen QTVR photo from panoramas.dk.
Follow-ups: Cookie girls won't have to pay fine, Station raises money.
Dolly's Creator Granted Human Cloning License.
Slashdot | Fans Attempting to Pay for Enterprise. Enterprising plans.
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.

View
102 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

62. Re: Warhawk's sig and Monitor Feb 9, 2005, 17:27 MeatForce

Anyway, I think LCDs and CRTs can be about even in the low to mid range. At least...if you can hunt down the "good" models. Just walking into a store these days, you will generally find many more (if not only) LCDs compared to CRTs and, obviously, only from the preferred manufacturer(s.)

In the high end, I think the CRTs still pull ahead.

Within the next five years, I expect the LCDs to completely dominate from top to bottom.

Yeah, if all you need to do is reproduce sRGB colour-space (which is plenty of gamut for the vast majority of users out there), then most any LCD will do just fine, and your average user is going to be much happier with the higher contrast ratios and inherent sharpness of those types of displays than they would with a CRT of just about any description.

You really need to have controlled lighting and good hardware profiles to get the maximum contrast ratio out of a CRT anyway, and your typical user isn't normally going to go to such lengths just for surfing.

But if you need to reproduce colour for CMYK output, say, then your typical high-end CRT is going to reach ever-so-slightly into the blues and blue-greens than an LCD in the same class, and will likely give you a slightly wider-gamut than sRGB represents. Sometimes significantly wider (the LaCie Electron Blue i'm staring at right now, for example).

The only display that I am aware of which is capable of accurately representing an extremely wide colour-space like Adobe RGB (1998) in its entirety is a CRT, but prices on those were starting at ~$5000 a year-or-two ago, so it's hardly the monitor for everyone

(unless Ray's buying, of course)

-----
MeatFarts

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Churchill Feb 9, 2005, 17:24 Killer Kane

Yeah , the companies in th WTC burned and mutilated muslim parents all over the world , hell - the janitors and waitresses regularly ate muslim babies for that matter !...YOU FUCKING SCUMBAG SUB-HUMAN

60. Re: Warhawk's sig and Monitor Feb 9, 2005, 17:23 nin

Hmm...how is that last hour going, nin???

Somebody just stopped by with a laptop...with win motherF#$*ING 98 on it. Jesus. There is no quicker way to give me a seizure than a win98 box.

I'm thinking if I had the choice between fixing a 98 box or getting kicked by a horse, I'd take the horse. It'd be a hell of a lot quicker to solve...

Thinking I may be going e-vile tonight in kotor2,

nin

May 3rd, 2005 - "We are preparing to destroy you." http://www.nin.com

http://www.beck.com/news/ ? Hell Yes!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

59. Re: Loony CU prof Churchill Feb 9, 2005, 17:05 Halsy

Hey, from a purely theoretical point of view, the terrorists had a great plan that exposed several weaknesses in the US regarding terrorism/security measures, but where does he get off on slandering innocent civies working in the buildings? I don't follow his logic (or lack thereof) at all.

I wouldn't expect you to grasp what he was trying to say off the bat, Warhawk.

What did they do that he himself isn't doing? They go to work, do their private-sector (non-military) job, and go home. Other than him being a professor at a university, what's the difference?

There ya go, Ace. Now you're asking some of the right questions at least. Try following through. Think big picture. Extend that over, say...the last century.What did most of the companies in the towers actually DO? Forget symbolism - think practical.

"Martin Luther was a German fellow who pinned a note on a church door that said, 'Hang on a minute!' Actually, he was German so it said, 'Ein minuten bitte!'"
- Eddie Izzard

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

58. Re: Warhawk's sig and Monitor Feb 9, 2005, 16:35 Ray Marden

Where the LCD was bright and vivid, the CRT looked washed out...

Tick...tock...tick...tock...

Hmm...how is that last hour going, nin???

Anyway, I think LCDs and CRTs can be about even in the low to mid range. At least...if you can hunt down the "good" models. Just walking into a store these days, you will generally find many more (if not only) LCDs compared to CRTs and, obviously, only from the preferred manufacturer(s.)

In the high end, I think the CRTs still pull ahead. I love this Viewsonic P225fb and I have yet to see anyting trounce it. At the same time, this is still a $700-ish monitor and the thing is huge; probably 24"x30"x36" or more.

Within the next five years, I expect the LCDs to completely dominate from top to bottom.
Time moving slowly? Or just me? Heh
Noting mine is just a tad heavier, too %),
Ray

-----
ph33r m3h: AY3 H@CE T3H BRAODB@ND IN-TUH-NET!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

57. Re: Warhawk's sig and Monitor Feb 9, 2005, 16:29 Warhawk

I would buy it for you, WH, but I...uhh...want to empower you.

That's what I would say, too.

*** Warhawk ***

Who elected you leader of this outfit?

I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a vote.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

56. Re: Warhawk's sig and Monitor Feb 9, 2005, 16:25 Ray Marden

Yeah, BB and Gmail are the two main sites that I routinely have to (temporarily) decrease my security settings.

Now, I can - somewhat (the better sites don't require this) - understand enabling all cookies for purchasing, but at least let me look up items, find a local store, etc.
I would buy it for you, WH, but I...uhh...want to empower you.
Having canceled my Tenchu pre-order,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

55. Re: response... Feb 9, 2005, 16:10 Ray Marden

Where's my KOTOR2 DAMMIT!?!?!

Being lazy; mostly cutting and pasting from the other, older thread:

After checking post-opening of store, the Best Buy website was back to listing it in stock. I went to Best Buy, but it was not out on the shelf. They checked their inventory system and showed that the truck had just delivered them that morning; they went back and grabbed me a copy.

So...lucked out on it being in stock and got both the game and pre-order box for $39.99.
I R t3h s3KoNd poTs WYN!!!!1
Off to install,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

54. Loony CU prof Churchill Feb 9, 2005, 15:33 Warhawk

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,146833,00.html

I know this is a bit old, but what is this guy on? The people who worked in the WTC are "little Eichmanns"?

Churchill also spoke of the "gallant sacrifices" of the "combat teams" that struck America.

Hey, from a purely theoretical point of view, the terrorists had a great plan that exposed several weaknesses in the US regarding terrorism/security measures, but where does he get off on slandering innocent civies working in the buildings? I don't follow his logic (or lack thereof) at all. What did they do that he himself isn't doing? They go to work, do their private-sector (non-military) job, and go home. Other than him being a professor at a university, what's the difference? Does he consider himself and every other American a "little Eichmann" as well? WTF?

As far as the freedom of speech arguement goes, I think some may argue that he might appear to be representing the school, as well, but I don't know the details of his statements or the context and whether he might have seemed to represent the university (would he have been making the speeches if he wasn't a professor?).

I guess I don't know all the details, be he seems like a whack-job.

*** Warhawk ***

I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a vote.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

53. Re: underwear Feb 9, 2005, 15:31 MeatForce

underwear
Lol
HOT DAMN!!! What a fked-up, backward place on Earth that country is.

Aieeee. State, not country. Not all of us are as farked as that.

I should've been more specific

I'm measuring gross farked-rates. According to my calculations, USA GFR = 49*VA + O_o (where VA is equal to the farked-rate of the state of Virginia, and O_o is equal to the total number of bad actors who have been elected to important seats of power, nation-wide, historically)

Unfortunately the resulting figures overloaded my equipment, depriving me of any concrete statistics to share for now (as well as a good deal of forearm hair.. not that I was meaning to share that with anyone, mind you) ..

Based on the size of the fireball, however, I'm comfortable placing it at the very top of the "fked-up, backward" category. I've never seen results like this before.

-----
MeatFarts
This comment was edited on Feb 9, 15:33.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

52. Re: Warhawk's sig and Monitor Feb 9, 2005, 15:05 Grasman

re: "pixelated"

I've had my 15" LCD monitor for a bit more than a year now and I notice nothing of the like. I play a lot of fps games and dont experience ghosting, the viewing angle is quite good and the image is clear. My only complaint is that the max resolution is 1024x768, something I accepted going into the purchase given that it only cost about $250. Dont have the name of the monitor on me right now at work, could post it later if someone is curious. As I'm living in a dorm, the minimal amount of desk space that the monitor takes is great, wouldn't trade it for a 23" CRT - well, not till I've moved out of the dorm.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 15:07.

51. Re: Warhawk's sig and Monitor Feb 9, 2005, 15:05 Zathrus

One of the reasons I've kept my CRT is that I thought LCD's look "pixelated"

If you mean that you see a screendoor effect (a small black area around each pixel; most noticeable on white or light backgrounds) -- on the LCD monitor I'm using at work I can see it if I get my nose within a few inches of the screen. Of course, at that point I can only see a small bit of the 17" screen.

I certainly don't have any problems at normal viewing distances though. Also, setting up ClearType properly when using an LCD monitor can help quite a bit.

50. Re: Warhawk's sig and Monitor Feb 9, 2005, 14:57 VampiricuS

Im with you. Im very happy with my 21 inch viewsonic, even though its not a preferred model for gaming due to darkness, I still think flats and LCD's AND PLasmas just havent done it for me yet. I say yet because im sure there will be a time when you wont be able to tell the difference between the two.

The downside is have my desk is taken up by the CRT.

"I fart in your general direction!"

"Error no keyboard. Press F1 to continue"

49. Re: Flash Feb 9, 2005, 14:54 Old Number 7

Get that ad off your site Blue, if I open your page while playing a game on my other monitor its 5 minutes of pure hell as my HD thrashes.

REMOVE THE AD!!

48. Re: Warhawk's sig and Monitor Feb 9, 2005, 14:53 banddirector

One of the reasons I've kept my CRT is that I thought LCD's look "pixelated" - - is that an issue for anybody else?

------------------------------------------------
To spread your goop or not to spread; that is the question ...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

47. Re: underwear Feb 9, 2005, 14:45 Warhawk

One of my favorite comments is, "How much you want to bet they aren't going to a job interview....or have a job for that matter" gets a giggle everytime.

I always say "That's why they make them in different sizes."

Besides, if they are on welfare / selling drugs, what would they need to go to a job interiew for?

*** Warhawk ***

46. Re: underwear Feb 9, 2005, 14:38 Zathrus

Or them wasting time creating a bill to fine the people doing it. *sigh* Tax dollars wasted away.

It'd be pretty trivial to show that the time and money involved in writing the ticket, processing it, court time, etc. would vastly exceed the $50 fine.

But hey, that's not all they did yesterday! The Virginia house also passed a state constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, to be voted on in November. The sole openly gay legislator went on record to say that the ban would one day prove as shameful as slavery and segregation.

45. Re: underwear Feb 9, 2005, 14:34 xXBatmanXx

underwear
Lol

Aieeee. State, not country. Not all of us are as farked as that. heheheeh Although, I find it funny people wear their pants like that, and I enjoy pointing out to them how dumb they look.

It really lets you know what type of person they are. One of my favorite comments is, "How much you want to bet they aren't going to a job interview....or have a job for that matter" gets a giggle everytime.

Wearing your pants to show the world you don't know how to wipe - is truly a degredation of society. But what is worse, the people doing it? Or them wasting time creating a bill to fine the people doing it. *sigh* Tax dollars wasted away.

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

44. Re: underwear Feb 9, 2005, 13:58 MeatForce

underwear

Lol

-----
MeatFarts

-----

43. underwear Feb 9, 2005, 13:43 Tango

Lol http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4249831.stm

102 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo