Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Chinese New Year! Today marks the start of the Year of the Rooster, though I'll be writing Year of the Monkey on my checks for weeks still (I'll never get tired of that one). Apparently this is a Green Wood Chicken New Year if you delve further into it.

My New Year's Eve, as it were, was spent in a local town court, paying a debt to society that my right foot ran up for me a couple of months ago. As always, Officer Trooper was pleasant and professional, and my answer to his question of how fast I thought I was going ("probably a bit faster than you wrote me up for") seemed to be the correct one based on its honesty, and my plea bargain ended up as failure to observe a traffic sign, rather than speeding.

I have a further debt to pay today, as Dr. Toothy wanted me back, muttering something about not liking the state of my gums, which is not what you want to hear by a long stretch.

Finally, thanks Dan for sending this troubleshooting page: Flash TechNote - Macromedia Flash Player uses all CPU cycles during playback, which describes the 100% CPU problem some users are encountering here as illusory, saying that Flash will happily relinquish CPU cycles to applications that request them. Clearly the description of how these ads (the Splinter Cell ad has been specifically earmarked as problematic) are bogging down some users' systems demonstrates that this is not working as described. A reader named Majid described the problem as attributable to "poorly optimized" Flash, something echoed by Chris from AMDZone, so while still seeking out further info on this, I will look into this optimization question.

R.I.P.: Doobie Brothers Drummer Knudsen Dies. Thanks Mike Martinez.

Links of the Day: Anti-crime Roadster. Thanks Devicer.
The Cult of Mac Blog. Home of the phallic iPod battery icon. Thanks Devicer.
Food Sculpture.
Stories of the Day: Burglars get unwanted Valentine's card.
Mohawk-Wearing Teen Survives Scalping. WTF?
Couch potato contentment.
Science!: Astronomers: Planets may be diamond makers.
Mutation Makes Rats More Sensitive to Alcohol's Effects. Mutated rats make far more drunk calls.
Eating Well Selling Wholesomeness in the Breakfast Bowl (registration required).
Images of the Day: Apollo 11 - 17 Mission First man on the Moon - Fullscreen QTVR photo from panoramas.dk.
Follow-ups: Cookie girls won't have to pay fine, Station raises money.
Dolly's Creator Granted Human Cloning License.
Slashdot | Fans Attempting to Pay for Enterprise. Enterprising plans.
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.

View
102 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

102. Re: Loony CU prof Churchill Feb 11, 2005, 22:29 Tango

(maybe Tango is a CSpan junkie like me).
Nah dude it's all UK stuff here, we don't get CSpan. But most of my information came from reading the (incredibly sensationalised) media reports from the likes of CNN, BBC and (gasp!) Fox, and stripping away the shit. I then read the paper (well, most of it - sociology papers are dead boring). I then read his defence of himself, given he knew what it was he was trying to imply. From that, I got to what I think happened. And I think (not to be too big headed) that I'm right.

Glad to be of help Warhawk

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

101. Re: Loony CU prof Churchill Feb 10, 2005, 20:19 Sixis

Why am I adding to this insane thread? I must be sicker than I think (Flu atm, blech).

This guy is a professor of ethnic studies, specializing in how we fucked over the Native Americans. He held a press conference/rally the other day televised on CSpan and explained his views, exactly the way Tango reported them (maybe Tango is a CSpan junkie like me).

I mean, if you studied how our ancestors systematically genocided at least 20 million people (although not my ancestors, we were still being oppressed in Europe, hehe) you might think that the modern world was a very very immoral place.

Really best to try not to think about it and go back to playing WoW, where the Black Dragonflight really is evil, and if the horde doesn't turn on their PvP flags it might be possible to live in peace with them

100. Re: Loony CU prof Churchill Feb 10, 2005, 14:02 Warhawk

Thanks, Tango - helps clarify some things. Appreciate your help.

*** Warhawk ***

Who elected you leader of this outfit?

I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a vote.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

99. Re: Loony CU prof Churchill Feb 10, 2005, 13:09 Tango

My (admittedly limited) understanding is that Eichmann was an important member in the party, not a minor "cog" like a common banker, and in this case, the "cogs" had nothing to do with the "party"!
OK, a more researched answer
Churchill: "What I said was that the "technocrats of empire" working in the World Trade Center were the equivalent of "little Eichmanns." Adolf Eichmann was not charged with direct killing but with ensuring the smooth running of the infrastructure that enabled the Nazi genocide. Similarly, German industrialists were legitimately targeted by the Allies.

It is not disputed that the Pentagon was a military target, or that a CIA office was situated in the World Trade Center . Following the logic by which U.S. Defense Department spokespersons have consistently sought to justify target selection in places like Baghdad , this placement of an element of the American "command and control infrastructure" in an ostensibly civilian facility converted the Trade Center itself into a "legitimate" target."

I highly recommend you read http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0201-05.htm which was a statement in defense of himself that he gave earlier in the week. Whether you agree with his fundamental point or not, this clearly shows that he has been taken massively out of context.

98. Re: Loony CU prof Churchill Feb 10, 2005, 12:56 Tango

They might make money based on the strength of the economy, but that isn't the same thing
No, but they pay for the wars.

97. Re: Loony CU prof Churchill Feb 10, 2005, 11:37 Warhawk

As I understand it, the Eichmann statement refers to a cog in the bureaucratic wheel of the Nazi party, just as (by Churchill's analysis of terrorist mindset) 9/11 victims were cogs in the wheels of the American "empire". I'd need to read more on Eichmann before I made an educated comment on that.

My (admittedly limited) understanding is that Eichmann was an important member in the party, not a minor "cog" like a common banker, and in this case, the "cogs" had nothing to do with the "party"! They might make money based on the strength of the economy, but that isn't the same thing. Also, I thought the terrorists were just trying to made a impact (pun intended) in the American/western world economy by striking the WTC as the planes aimed at the Pentagon and White House or Capitol were more "political" - a dual strike, if you will. If he said that those killed in the Pentagon were "little Eichmanns" I could easily understand the reference, but he did not. That is why the comment strikes me as just being inflammatory.

*** Warhawk ***

I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a vote.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

96. Re: .sig says all I want to say. Feb 10, 2005, 11:27 Enahs

I don't know you sir. I think you should be told right out front, so you do not develop any delusions, that the chances of a gay encounter between you and me is Zero.

DAMN YOU! You did NOT read what you quoted me on!

I said it is NOT A GAY THING!
*crying*
I'm not gay! *crying*

_____
Enahs

Hey this is Carl, New Jersey rules you backwards retarded creep.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

95. Re: Loony CU prof Churchill Feb 10, 2005, 11:20 Tango

True, but none of these, to me, justify the Eichmann statement, which is what I was inquiring about.
As I understand it, the Eichmann statement refers to a cog in the bureaucratic wheel of the Nazi party, just as (by Churchill's analysis of terrorist mindset) 9/11 victims were cogs in the wheels of the American "empire". I'd need to read more on Eichmann before I made an educated comment on that.

94. Re: .sig says all I want to say. Feb 10, 2005, 11:18 xXBatmanXx

Batman, you are becoming incoherent. Look in the mirror and see if there is any white froth around your mouth

Thats it? That is all? I was hoping for another spew of rhetoric that would make me "jealous" of your "mature" higher thought process. *sigh* Alas, the dragon goes back to his cave. I am sure we will see him soon.

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

93. Re: .sig says all I want to say. Feb 10, 2005, 11:10 nin

"Yes, you are right Joe… I am stalking you. I love you! Your hair smells purdy. It is not a gay thing, I am just saying I love you, I want to be you!"

I don't know you sir. I think you should be told right out front, so you do not develop any delusions, that the chances of a gay encounter between you and me is Zero.

Love, exciting and new,
Come aboard.
We're expecting you.
Love, life's sweetest reward.
Let it flow,
it floats back to you.

The LOVE Boat
soon will be making another run.
The Love Boat promises something for everyone.
Set a course for adventure,
Your mind on a new romance.

Love won't hurt anymore
It's an open smile on a friendly shore.

It's Looooove!
Welcome aboard - It's Looooove!

May 3rd, 2005 - "We are preparing to destroy you." http://www.nin.com

http://www.beck.com/news/ ? Hell Yes!
This comment was edited on Feb 10, 11:11.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

92. Re: .sig says all I want to say. Feb 10, 2005, 10:59 JosephBlowski

Batman, you are becoming incoherent. Look in the mirror and see if there is any white froth around your mouth.
This comment was edited on Feb 10, 11:00.

91. Re: .sig says all I want to say. Feb 10, 2005, 10:57 JosephBlowski

"Yes, you are right Joe… I am stalking you. I love you! Your hair smells purdy. It is not a gay thing, I am just saying I love you, I want to be you!"

I don't know you sir. I think you should be told right out front, so you do not develop any delusions, that the chances of a gay encounter between you and me is Zero. I would say more but I would probably be reported for my opinions on your illness.

If you want to be me, I can teach you. It is easy. Just ask.

90. Re: Loony CU prof Churchill Feb 10, 2005, 10:50 Warhawk

Heh, just to show it is possible to answer this like an adult...

Thanks, Tango.

As I said in my original post, I was not aware of the circumstances or extent of his comments, hence the question on what he meant by the statement.

It merely tries to explain them as a retaliatory attack for 1991 Gulf War atrocities committed by the US, specifically child killing in Iraq

Of course, the professor is suggesting it is a retaliatory action as opposed to an unprovoked attack.

These banks are the ones paying for the wars, and stand to profit from "exploitation". At least, they do if you follow the attacker's mentality.

True, but none of these, to me, justify the Eichmann statement, which is what I was inquiring about. It seems he just pulled this out of his ass to inflame folks. Not exactly a shining example of what to be as the "chairman of the university's ethnic studies department", you think?

*** Warhawk ***

89. Re: Your monitor is square Feb 10, 2005, 10:49 Enahs

In Quake 3 and Doom 3 (and subsequently any engine that uses them with access to console) can do widescreen. Just get a custom wide screen resolution that fits your monitor, and pull out the FOV to 110-140 (depending on resolution and monitor).
Unfortunately FOV is locked on some servers so you can not go to wide for an advantage (though on widescreen it looks normal).

I could have sworn though Doom 3 has a resolution for widescreen?

_____
Enahs

- W. C. Fields

88. Re: Your monitor is square Feb 10, 2005, 10:42 xXBatmanXx

It's a shame more games don't support it; I'd love to see more of them come out. But alas, I guess it's too hard for some engines to change the POV to correctly fit in a widescreen format.

How does a game handle it? Is it distorted or does it just make it windowed with black on either side?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

87. Re: Loony CU prof Churchill Feb 10, 2005, 10:03 WarPig

the mentality in question (the attackers', not the professor's) is still batshit loony from a civilized world perspective.

There's a lot of that going around.

-------------------------------------------------------
"We're innocent critters squashed on the highway of life!"

GO SEAHAWKS!

86. Re: Your monitor is square Feb 10, 2005, 10:00 kanniballl

I also own a 21" Trinitron which is in a box cllecting dust, like every non-widescreen monitor should be doing.

Agreed, I love wisescreen monitors. I try to buy my laptops with them.

Horizontal space is great for coding, as the side-panels (package explorer, etc) take up less room allowing for a larger coding area. Vertical space isn't as important to me, as I can just use a mouse wheel to continue reading or writing code, but the horizontal space is uber-important.

It's a shame more games don't support it; I'd love to see more of them come out. But alas, I guess it's too hard for some engines to change the POV to correctly fit in a widescreen format.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

85. Re: Loony CU prof Churchill Feb 10, 2005, 09:32 Zathrus

Heh, just to show it is possible to answer this like an adult...

Bravo, and a good analysis.

Of course, IMO, the mentality in question (the attackers', not the professor's) is still batshit loony from a civilized world perspective.

84. Re: .sig says all I want to say. Feb 10, 2005, 09:21 xXBatmanXx

If for no other reason do it because you are selfish. Lying will make you physically and mentally ill. It might take awhile to show itself, but you will suffer if you tell lies. We are all one. When you tell us lies, you are really telling yourself lies. That creates tension inside of your body. Your body is fighting with itself. One part of your body knows you are lying and fights to tell the truth. The lying side of your body will choke and throttle and try to kill the honest side of you. Doesn't that sound bad? Just think what it feels like.

Hay man. Whatever makes you feel better. hahahahahahhahaaa You are a joke to me now. That is all. All you are is a punchline. I can see that you are clearly not ok in the head. I didn't think it was this bad....but it is to the point of being hilarious.

If you were to say these things in person, people would say you have diarrhea of the mouth. But there isn't a good analogy I can come up with for you typing this garbage. So I will stick to the verbal example.

/edit: The best part about this. Is you can't insult me. You have no idea who I am or what my values are. Your words just make us all laugh, you have no threatening power. This is great. You are getting all excited OVER NOTHING! NOTHING! Arguing about someone on a friggen gaming site! You are making direct personal character attacks on someone you don't even know! I dont wear my character on my sleeve like you do, so there isn't a way you can make such attacks. I make general observations. You just make shit up about me, kind of like all of your ramblings......EMPTY! "Who's the man now dog!"

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 09:33.

83. Re: .sig says all I want to say. Feb 10, 2005, 08:14 Enahs

you just shake your head and wonder why they don't have the courage to come straight out and admit what they are up to.

Yes, you are right Joe… I am stalking you. I love you! Your hair smells purdy. It is not a gay thing, I am just saying I love you, I want to be you!

_____
Enahs

- W. C. Fields

102 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo