Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

In another phishing scheme... Nah, just kidding, I won't put you through that again. The annual Groundhog Day extravaganza has come to a close.

I got the BlueTruck back from Dr. Goodwrench. After an inflated estimate based on the amount of time it took to diagnose the broken switch in the first place (which he should be embarrassed about to start with, considering the number of people who correctly guessed that to be the cause without even seeing the truck), he then tried to charge me double that, because after installing the switch, the truck start blowing fuses, and further time was required to trace down a bad wire. I pointed out that it wasn't really reasonable to expect me to think that the fuses were blowing due to some pre-existing condition, since I had never once blown a fuse before this. I got him to agree that since it was obviously his grease monkey mis-wiring something that lead to the fuse dealie, that I wasn't going to pay for that part.

So I walk out having paid probably twice what the job was worth, feeling like I got a bargain. Dr. Goodwrench is no dummy.

Play time: Escape the Room.
Links of the Day: SaveEnterprise.Com. There's also an MSNBC poll on the topic.
Pure Pwnage - 100,000 noobs pwned.
Stories of the Day: Woman indicted for giving fatal sherry enema. Thanks Warren.
Grandma admits to cheating on test -- in 1957.
Doctor Fakes Insanity to Avoid Military.
Science!: Gases Could Raise Temperatures 19.8 Degrees -Study and Carbon burial 'is climate option'.
Mirror that reflects your future self.
Augmented-reality machine works in real time. So we can get rid of those pills?
Dyslexia slows drivers' reactions. Especially at poSt signs.
The Funnies: FoxTrot. Thanks EricTheMad.
Images of the Day: Car vs. Telephone Wires in Texas. Thanks Compfused.com.
Media of the Day: Red Vs Blue - Welcome to the Internet. Thanks Hump.
Follow-ups: Avalanche man urinates his way into urban legend. What's Snopes debunking next, The Onion?
Beagle 2 'should never have been built'.
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.

View
89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

89. Re: SaveEnterprise Feb 8, 2005, 18:08 Malakai

Anyone happen to watch Farscape? One of the few (imo) decent sci-fi tv shows. Farscape, SG1 and ST: Enterprise (With that bald headed captain guy, Picard thats the one) were good. Most others are poor. Sorry about the below rant, i just happened to watch Resi Evil 2 and same an annoying TV show before it

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

88. Re: Hotmail Popper Feb 8, 2005, 18:02 Malakai

1: Reality TV sucks. If i wanted to watch someone live, i'd become a stalker. I don't care about some z-list celebs or some schmuck who wants to get famous quick. However the only show I am liking at the moment is Brat Camp on C4 (UK viewers only i think) because its so damn funny to watch these little shits who come from middle-class backgrounds act/think/look like scallys and watch them get nowhere with these hard-ass dont-take-no-shit americans on this ranch. Great viewing.

2: I hate this hardass woman concept that seems to be creeping into every single nook and cranny of tv/movies these days. I hate watching films, like Resident Evil 1/2, where theres some super-human woman going around kicking the shit out of everyone. It bores me now. Bring back the old movies like Predator or Rambo where it was a no-holds-barred killing fest, with a man doing the killing. Im not some woman hating guy, but these movies piss me off. I basically refuse to watch them on principle.

3: Is it me or is MSN getting worse and worse? In the past week or so i've had 3 instances of major downtime (5 hours+) and it isnt because of my internet connection. Microsoft is a big coporation, surely they can sort this out quickly and efficiently. Also it's not as if theres time zone restrictions, Microsoft have buildings all over the world, why can't they just damn well sort it out?

4: Political Correctness sucks. From what i can understand the UK has the worst case of PC ever. Every TV show, every news broadcast has to have someone from different ethnic backgrounds otherwise some minority will get pissed off and complain. I'm getting sick of hearing about minorities going on about this that and the other that they aren't getting. I don't care. If you want to worship your own religion, go ahead, don't shove it in my face. Also i am getting sick of hearing about all this racism in the police force. I bet you (notice this is my opinion, if someone can show me evidence i will read it) that most of this shit occurs because little wankers say "it's cos I'm black 'innit?". Usually it's because you break the fucking law, not because of your skin colour. You never hear of a white guy suing a black policeman because of racism, you only ever hear of the minorities screaming at the whites because of racism. I read somewhere a year ago or so that something like 80% of racial crime (it was either in the Uk as a whole or in Birmingham/Bradford) was not white on minorities, by minorities on minorities, i.e black on black, black on asian etc. etc. yet howcome we never hear of any instances where someone of an asian background sues someone of an african background?

Did you know that there are more people of ethnic minority background in London than there are caucasians? Strange isn't it?

Also, since i am on a serious rant here, I feel like doing 2 things.

1: ring up people that are advertising for secretarial jobs and wait until someone says "actually we want a woman for this job", record the phone conversation and sue the bastards for not offering equal opportunities.

2: I want to start up my own car insurance firm that's only for men. Then i want to see how many women bitch and complain that they can't get insurance with my firm. My reply for that would be "Go join Diamond Insurance. Thats only for women, now shut up."

Also did you know Tony Blair has an all female shortlist of jobs? Nice equal opportunities fucktard.

Bah this world and its injustices does my fucking head in. But then again i know i can't do anything about it and as such i just think of owning a nice log house in the mountains of Scandanavia or Canada where i have little human contact and i do manual labour for a living. Ah to go fishing, to sit in the hills and watch a sunrise/sunset, to go hunting for food/clothing. Now that is something i'd like to do. Bring back the Middle Ages/The First Reich (Roman Empire for those who didn't know). Heaven for me.

87. Re: Honage Me Feb 5, 2005, 16:09 CreamyBlood

"ike uhhh i think you might uhhh like be a little like uhhh like crazy"

Well maybe hammered outta my skull, perhaps crazy. The point is, is that if you made it to episode 5 you'd realiz that those guys just made a retarded movie about every thread I've ever read on Blues News.

Kudos.

86. Re: Hotmail Popper Feb 5, 2005, 11:59 VoodooV

The problem with Bond movies now is that they are too politically correct.

No cold blooded killing of baddies, no pushing little kids off of boats, apparently we need women in a Bond movie to be 'empowered' and as good at ass kicking as Bond.

If I wanted to see empowered women I would watch lifetime.

I agree, but politically incorrect or not, the franchise is just ancient and decrepid and needs to be simply put out of its misery (or at the very least, a good long, 15 year break or so) just like Star Trek.

These idiot writers just don't get it, they keep reusing the same formula over and over, and only change little things like different bond girls, or different gadgets, or different bad guys. And the writers STILL wonder why people aren't buying into it. No matter how sucessfull the original was, after a while, people get fed up with that same formula and see through the insignificant changes.

Same thing with reality shows, we all know its anything BUT reality, regardless of its infinite variations, its still the same formulaic episodic TV, just really cheap, so the execs love it. Reality TV has ALREADY run its course if you ask me. All they're accomplishing now is making more people fed up with it.

85. Re: AVG / Firefox Feb 5, 2005, 11:20 WarPig

Warpig...did you see my previous post about the Acrobat problem you are having? If not, go find it and try it!

Yeah I did, thanks. The thing is in my case that box doesn't come up. It's been awhile but I'm thinking I already did what you suggested. Right after I post this I'm going to install version 7.0 and see if it helps.

EDIT: That did it, it works fine now. Apparently Firefox and Adobe Reader 6.0 don't work all that well together.

-------------------------------------------------------
"They're airheads Gardner. Bimbos. Little girls with little brains."
"Well, we're not tryin' to expand their minds Philip, so don't get picky on me."
This comment was edited on Feb 5, 11:35.

GO SEAHAWKS!

84. Re: AVG / Firefox Feb 5, 2005, 11:06 Enahs

Warpig...did you see my previous post about the Acrobat problem you are having? If not, go find it and try it!

_____
Enahs

Hey this is Carl, New Jersey rules you backwards retarded creep.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

83. Re: AVG / Firefox Feb 5, 2005, 11:02 WarPig

As for the Firefox/PDF thing -- what version of Acrobat do you have installed?

Adobe Reader 6.0. Thanks for asking because I didn't know 7.0 was out. I thought I remembered it automaticaly telling you when an updated version was out - I guess not. I'll give 7.0 a shot and see if it fixes things.

-------------------------------------------------------
"They're airheads Gardner. Bimbos. Little girls with little brains."
"Well, we're not tryin' to expand their minds Philip, so don't get picky on me."

GO SEAHAWKS!

82. Re: Honage Me Feb 5, 2005, 10:44 JosephBlowski

Heya pure ownage guys! I wondered if you would take that personal.

Why not do your bit for humanity? Why not be examples to teach other people about life?

Your post was....kind of on but not really. It took me all the way to the bottom to figure out what the heck you were getting at.

If you were pissed, why not just say it? I had no bad intentions. There was a picture with something I wanted to explain so I used it. Nothing personal.

Besides, instead of being unhappy, why not think about what I wrote? it is all true and accurate. I could explain it in depth to you if you wish.

I regret if you feel any discomfort at what I wrote. I wish whoever wrote it would have signed it. On a re read it shows some signs of psychology and effort to dig thru posts to profile a person. I am guessing the asian guy wrote this? Hey, you deserve to lord it over the rest of us for the reasons I wrote in the description. You are a lucky man.
This comment was edited on Feb 5, 10:49.

81. Re: Honage Me Feb 5, 2005, 03:38 ExcessDan

like uhhh i think you might uhhh like be a little like uhhh like crazy

Mayor Dan
------------
"Take me Jesus, take me Allah, rape me in my room
Torch our days in paranoia while we gorge ourselves on gloom"

ExcessDan

80. Re: Honage Me Feb 5, 2005, 03:06 CreamyBlood

Well then, let's have a beer!

79. Re: Honage Me Feb 5, 2005, 02:57 nin

Friends don't let friends drink and post...

May 3rd, 2005 - "We are preparing to destroy you." http://www.nin.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

78. Honage Me Feb 5, 2005, 02:39 CreamyBlood

Okay you wimp ass FPS gamers, this is the best show I've seen in a
long time. I'm finally vindicated and feel better about myself now.
Now I understand who I am.

As you all know, if it wasn't for me, none of you guys would be using
computers right now (except for Dave, because he uses a Mac), but
besides that, none of you would be any good at games! Do you know
why? Because I aquired an Atari ST long before Macs or PC's existed,
then got you into BBS games.

Plus, I played the first StarTrek video game EVER! On my Dad's
mainframe at IBM! That's right! He OWNED IBM! Ha ha ha ha.

Hell, I did all that for you stupid titties and you still didn't know
what a PC was, well I did. That's why the first time you ever played
Doom was because of ME! That's right! MEEEEE! And I was living in
California at the time!

In fact, you pathetic little piss flaps probably didin't know what
the hell Quake 2 was when it hit the 'the scene', or even what a
newsgroup was, let alone now how to play a good Soundgarden song!
Pricks! Alice and Chainsaws!!! Wooo-hooo!

Infact, you were probably still dialing up to those ASCII BBS systems
and cranking Duran Duran out of your 'stereophonic' speakers! So
sad, soldier!

In the mean time, I fucking wrecked your ass playing Team Arena!
That's right dickheads, for three days straight, I killed everyone.
Other than that I was on the top ten for a few months, don't you ever
forget that!

I'm so sorry about your kids though, I had know idea they'd turn out
like this. Well, we can blame the kids for what the parents did if
it was only someones friend that the kid didn't know, right?

In other words, it's not my FAULT that gamers can't write, spell,
speak or type English. I was only trying to KILL PEOPLE in a GAME.
Not ....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, Here's a great link to the psychology of a modern gamer.
They are long and need editing, but if you get through the second
episode, "Girls", it's pretty funny. Reminds me of you, my BASTARCH
CHILDREN!!! It wasn't supposed to turn out like this! It wasn't
supposed to be this way....

For all boobies: Start at the bottom left and work yourself up, it's
worth it...

Pure Pwnage

http://www.purepwnage.com/

77. Re: AVG / Firefox Feb 5, 2005, 01:55 Awesome Spume

When you ?exit? acrobat it will ask you if you are sure you want to do that every time, just click the checkbox to turn that option off?that fixed my problem, which was the same as the problem you describe.

Can't believe I missed that, cheers!

-------------------
If you're a European sign the anti-software-patents petition at:
http://petition.eurolinux.org/

76. FoxTrot Feb 4, 2005, 19:45 ExcessDan

The past week of fox trot has been Jason playing old video games in the snow with his friend. Worth a browse.

Mayor Dan
------------

ExcessDan

75. Re: SaveEnterprise Feb 4, 2005, 19:38 ExcessDan

I've never really got into SG1. Kind of bland and the past 2 episodes I've watched were stupid clip show episodes full of politics on who is going to control the star gate. I'd rather watch CNN.

I just saw a commercial for Enterprise's birth of the federation episode. Makes the cancellation even more disappointing. I think it would have been interesting to see more of the beginnings.

Here's a good question. How is it that Andromeda has a 5th season? Now that's a show that should have been cancelled 4 seasons ago. I guess your sci-fi show needs to be on the SciFi network to avoid cancellation.

Mayor Dan
------------

ExcessDan

74. Off topic Feb 4, 2005, 19:27 Warhawk

Must be Ray's influence.....

My neighbor's wireless network is down for a day or two, so probably no internet / HL2 DM over the weekend (I share his cable connection). That sucks.

I need to buy a WAP and get it to him, but that probably won't happen until tomorrow sometime....

*** Warhawk ***

So do you think he set us up?
Who?
Your friend.
No.
How can you be so sure?
Because he's my friend.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

73. MotD Feb 4, 2005, 19:24 xXBatmanXx

Am I the only one that tried "presidentialsluts.com" I was hoping it would be a RvB spoof page.

Anywhoo..... Maybe some HL2 DM this eve? I am stuck at home doing laundry and fixing a pc, so I have plenty of time. oh....and beer consuming....plenty of beer consuming - so I might end up a fish in a barrel on the server, so lets give er a try.

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

72. Re: Hotmail Popper Feb 4, 2005, 19:19 Tango

I know people will throw a toilet at me with a gravity gun for this, but my favourite Bond is Goldeneye. Yes, that includes the Sean Connery ones. Personally speaking, Pierce Brosnan is the best Bond.

Goldeneye, to me, had the perfect balance. It was released at a time when the Russian thing was still a storyline worth exploiting. It had actors like Sean Bean and Robbie Coultrane. It had stunning set pieces (the dish, the tank)

If I had to introduce Bond to a Martian, I'd show them that.

71. Re: Hotmail Popper Feb 4, 2005, 19:19 Warhawk

You mean the "Man-Hater Channel"?

*** Warhawk ***

So do you think he set us up?
Who?
Your friend.
No.
How can you be so sure?
Because he's my friend.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

70. Re: Hotmail Popper Feb 4, 2005, 19:14 The Truth

The problem with Bond movies now is that they are too politically correct.

No cold blooded killing of baddies, no pushing little kids off of boats, apparently we need women in a Bond movie to be 'empowered' and as good at ass kicking as Bond.

------
$1 tax for the national debt?

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo