Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battle for Middle-earth Patch

The first patch is now available for Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-earth, updating EA's Tolkien-based real-time strategy game to version 1.01. In addition to fixes and tweaks, the update also adds some new maps. Versions of the patch for every language are available on this EA FTP directory, and some or all of the patches are mirrored on 3D Gamers, FilePlanet (registration required), Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: No subject Feb 3, 2005, 19:36 Ihya

Gameplay is standard rts fare; nothing that innovative, nothing that bad, bit like DoW. Good how both games have squads as the smallest controllable items, as opposed to individual units. The gameplay is perhaps a little more simplistic than most rts games; you only have to micromanage a few heroes, nothing like the labour intensive clickfest of Warcraft 3 say, but then the same is true of DoW... I'd have to say BFME and DoW have more in common with one another gameplay wise than either have with say War 3.

I think it comes down to personal preference on the differences in gameplay, both do it very well, like I said they are both good games, but BFME just nudges ahead on aesthetics and it feels a bit more epic with the sieges and whatnot in my book.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: No subject Feb 3, 2005, 13:52 Kajetan

And I'm an EA hater who is more a 40k universe fanboy than a tolkien fanboy Normally they produce shit, but hey, a broken clock is right 2 times a day

I'm no fanboy of anything and i'm not an EA hater But i tend to look closer ...

BfME is nothing more than a graphical showoff (read all the other postings). By the flame of Anor, where is a GAME in that? I've found none! You talk all about looks, none about playing. It proves my point: A beautiful shell with a rotten micro-piece of gameplay. And yes, of course ... a broken multiplayer too. Nothing else to expect from the makers of Generals.

Better than Dow? Perhaps a nicer look, and the official LotR movie licence ... but a better GAME? No sir, never!

7. Its good... Feb 3, 2005, 09:41 TangledThorns

But not the greatest RTS but I'll say one thing. The Balrog is coolest looking thing to hit the PC screen last year. The detail to it was amazing. When it walks, a heat trail follows!

6. No subject Feb 3, 2005, 08:50 Annihilus88

THis game ROCKS! Just downloaded the patch with no problem. Don't know what all the fuss is about. I was a hardcore FPS fan and hated rts games but this one rules them all! The graphics are cool and runs great. I play at 1600x1200 on high with no probs. What you expect with a 6800 Ultra. Seriously If you can't handle todays games then just stay out fo the fire if its too much for you to handle. Or better yet work in mcdolands for a few weeks and buy a new card and stop whining. This is to all the god damn pussy ass whiners!! Ha ha!

5. Re: No subject Feb 3, 2005, 08:26 Ihya

Well I had several WOW moments in BFME; having 7 ents throw boulders at 200 orcs and flatten all of them in less than a minute (seing dozens of orcs cartwheeling through the air as they were carpet bombed was amazing), Helms deep with hundreds of enemies on screen fighting on the walls, setting hundreds of rangers on the Oliphants and making them run amok through their own troops... I can't think of anything equivalent from DoW other than seing the Bloodthirster the first time... and the Balrog is a more detailed model anyhow that looks better. Come to think of it the game is just a little bit more detailed in general. There are some samey levels, true enough, but DoW suffers from this also. The gameplay is pared(dumbed?) down for a rts game, but it has cut away the rts baggage that started from the original warcraft that has always annoyed me. DoW does this as well though, slimming down/changing resource management.

The voice acting in DoW ranges from acceptable down to graduates from 'the talking clock school of acting', whereas BFME has everyone from the film saying something and gandalf and saruman superbly narrating the story as you go. I'd give DoW an 8/10 and BFME 9/10. And I'm an EA hater who is more a 40k universe fanboy than a tolkien fanboy Normally they produce shit, but hey, a broken clock is right 2 times a day

4. Re: No subject Feb 3, 2005, 06:22 Kajetan

This was a solid RTS game, better than Dawn of War IMO
Why was it better? In BfME i have two or three notable, good missions (Helms Deep, Minas Tirith ...) and dozens of boring, repetitive battles. Around one-third of the game, i stopped building a base and won every of these mission within a few minutes with my already deployed army. Around 3/4 of the game i've de-installed this crap.

It's a typical EA game: Inside a beautiful shell you find a rotten piece of gameplay!

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 06:26.

3. Re: No subject Feb 3, 2005, 06:02 Ihya

This was a solid RTS game, better than Dawn of War IMO. But yes, it runs slow for me, and I have a decent rig.

Good news on the new maps, I'll take a look when I get back from work.

2. Re: No subject Feb 3, 2005, 04:39 Mr Gar

Game runs fine for me (and my mate on their AMD 1700 GF3Ti200) it's just that after playing the game for a week you've seen all there is to see and it get boring and repetitive very quickly.

Where's Total Annihilation 2 when you need it

1. No subject Feb 3, 2005, 02:12 JAGUART

Is this the patch that makes the game not run like ass?  
"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo