Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Trip Hawkins to AIAS Hall of Fame

Trip Hawkins Inducted Into the AIAS Hall of Fame is the press release announcing that the EA and 3DO founder is entering the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences Hall of Fame, joining previous honorees Peter Molyneux, Yu Suzuki, Will Wright, John Carmack, Sid Meier, and Shigeru Miyamoto. The release outline's Trip's contributions to the field that lead to this honor, which is to be given out tomorrow night at the D.I.C.E. Summit.

View
7. Re: The Trip Hawkins E-mail Feb 1, 2005, 22:41 Spectre-7

Classic Trip, sadly.

Portal Runner was going into production around the time I left the company, and a friend of mine was one of the level designers. I seem to recall that they hired some model for the advertising (Anna Nicole Smith perhaps?), and that's also typical 3DO... Spend the money and effort on marketing rather than development. After all, if marketed correctly, you can sell snow to the eskimos, right?

Anyway, it just points to the fact that Trip has absolutely no clue what makes a good game. He used to like personally interviewing new hires so he could feed them the company policy, etc. One of his favorites was to ask "Which is better; A team with a designer who's visionary and really passionate about the game design, or a group of team-players who are all willing to follow someone else's lead?" (heavily paraphrased)

The question existed so that he could tell you that the team players are better, because the passionate designer will be a prima donna and the game will never get made. Can I get a big hooray for sheep? Didn't think so.

At a company meeting, Trip also liked to tell a story about when he worked for Apple. He was sitting at his desk when Steve Jobs walked in and asked, "Trip, have you ever done acid?"

Trip replied, "Ummm, no."

Steve looked at him, said "I didn't think so," and left.

Not sure why I included that one... Still makes me chuckle though. How much does anyone want to bet that Steve Jobs has tried acid?

Just a thought.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Feb 1, 02:44 I believe the AIAS is sadly mistaken... Spectre-7
  2. Feb 1, 04:57 Agree Icewind
  3. Feb 1, 08:55  Re: Agree BIGtrouble77
  4. Feb 1, 09:19   Re: Agree nin
  5. Feb 1, 09:27    Re: Agree Beamer
  6. Feb 1, 14:42 The Trip Hawkins E-mail BrushBaron
>> 7. Feb 1, 22:41  Re: The Trip Hawkins E-mail Spectre-7
  8. Feb 2, 15:07 A Joke... drone

footer