Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Darwinia Demo Plans

The Darwinia News Page has word on plans for an updated demo for Introversion Software's upcoming evolutionary action/strategy game. Expressing some mystification at the mystification the first demo (story) has inspired, they admit "we've obviously misjudged the amount of help that games players need," going on to announce: "We are working on a new demo that will include a detailed tutorial that explains the concepts of Darwinia." In the meantime, thy have posted a new tutorial section that can help with the first demo. Thanks Frans.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

12. Re: For the masses Jan 29, 2005, 18:05 Halsy

Great marketing! Insult your prospective clients by telling them they're too stupid to use your product. No, it's not your product, it's everyone else.

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums."
- The Sphinx, Mystery Men

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. This is what happens... Jan 29, 2005, 17:50 human

when you have no usability testing.

Why are the same mistakes made over and over again?

10. Re: I was confused at first Jan 29, 2005, 17:17 Quan

PLaying this demo made me feel like I had just picked up a C64 game and it was a blast.

Its been a long time since I had the feeling of not really knowing what was going on but discovering it as I went along.

I hope the full game has a nub tick box so I can turn it off and play the game its ment to be played. As a adventure into the unknown.

9. I was confused at first Jan 29, 2005, 15:15 Ratty

The first time I played just a little way through until I couldn't figure out what was going on then I quit. But something about the demo was addictive and I kept going back and eventually I figured out everything and beat it. I did it a couple more times. Great little demo and I can't wait to get the full game. The tutorial they are adding is a good idea.

I agree that the gesturing system is annoying and superfluous. I just don't see the point to it.

8. crying babies suck Jan 29, 2005, 14:47 nipsyr

"we've obviously misjudged the amount of help that games players need"

To me, sounds like a excuse for bad game design. Potential reasons to not explain the goals of your game.

To prolong the game. To hide the lack of substance. Game designers dont play games, so dont know what is needed. Lack of time.

Ultimately though, a game is better served if it outlines simply what is needed to achieve victory and the steps to success. The challenge is the application not trial and error with unknown variable which just usually produces frustration.

I think a game should push the player into a level of competency which then allows for exploration, then new variables are added. To throw a player into figuring out your game is bad design.

7. Re: For the masses Jan 29, 2005, 14:26 doktor_tchock

i don't mean to brag ... but i played thru the demo just fine. as soon as i understood that the snakes were enemies, i had my first goal. to kill all of the snakes. then the rest kind of followed. understanding what i was supposed to be doing is quite different from understanding why or even how i was doing it, since the game seemingly has no resouce system other than the darwinians. so, once you figure out what you're doing, it's like a "play until you win" game. i don't really understand how to lose.

6. Re: For the masses Jan 29, 2005, 14:08 captawe

this game makes baby jesus cry

5. Re: For the masses Jan 29, 2005, 13:56 Communist

test

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 13:57.

4. Re: For the masses Jan 29, 2005, 13:38 Jaenos

Yeah, it was an odd game, especially to even consider trying when you can't really explain what it is.

Basically it's a simply rts and you bring up units like you would in Black and White with symbols. I might be missing something, but so far that's what I gathered, make some units, finnish tasks.

Fun game.

3. Re: For the masses Jan 29, 2005, 12:46 Riker

I'm not a dumb guy, but I was frustrated at the demo because I didn't have any idea what I was supposed to be doing. That's a rather essential component to a game, and I'm glad to hear they're addressing it.

2. Re: For the masses Jan 29, 2005, 12:42 Sixis

Bucky, you must have been the one and only playtester.

Not the worst tutorial ever, but certainly in the running for worst in 2005 (although it's early in the race)

1. For the masses Jan 29, 2005, 12:24 Bucky

I loved the demo, heck, I probably played through it a dozen times. What I can't seem to figure out is why everyone is having such a hard time with the game. I played through once, mostly just messing around and reading the help text. Worked for me.

Now I just wish they'd release the full game.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo