Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

DNF at E3?

A story on GamesIndustry describes 3D Realms' "foxing" of a Duke Nukem 3D modification for Half-Life 2, as the developer protects its intellectual property (thanks Gamers.com and Mike Martinez). The story goes on to casually state that Duke Nukem Forever, the overdue sequel to Duke 3D, will be making an appearance at E3, though it all sounds a bit speculative: "3D Realms itself is still working on Duke Nukem Forever, the long delayed sequel to Duke Nukem 3D, which is expected to be present at E3 this year in some form - although previous E3 showings a few years ago came to nothing when the project switched engine, and 3D Realms still refuses to commit to any release date for the title."

View
89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

89. Re: No subject Feb 1, 2005, 16:48 L0cky

"this is K.T.I.T - K-TIT, playing the breast.. uhh.. best toons in town."

Just as dumb as every other line in DN tbh

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

88. No subject Jan 28, 2005, 11:54 manic half

"this is K.T.I.T - K-TIT, playing the breast.. uhh.. best toons in town."

"I ain't afraid 'a no Quake"

---------------------------------------------------
"im not supposed to be here, im not supposed to be"

87. Almost... Jan 27, 2005, 19:03 jm0ris0n

...to 100 posts...

86. Re: DNF Jan 27, 2005, 17:11 L0cky

Unreal 2 has wind.

85. DNF Jan 27, 2005, 13:32 ASLayerAODsk

Im still waiting for a flac/ogg *mp3s are TOTAL crap and a waste of bandwidth/time/effort, get in the 21st century already, long live foobar2000! **plug plug** * version of the DNF theme that accompanied the video that was released that year...another thought i was watching the video the other day...yeah i was bored...is it just me, or is there 'wind' in some of those scenes? and i DO NOT mean the rain scenes. I think 'wind' in games is LONG overdue...not many games have a 'physics engine' that can handle 'wind' or air movement, just thinking about it offhand...would the only ones that do, be flight sims?
imagine all those camping @*%#%& in other games if they had to calculate 'wind' into their shots? im sure youd see sniping/camping drop by at LEAST 90% as all of a sudden REAL skill is required, not just cheapness and this isnt just for 3DR either, im sure the Source engine could have done it....ive never been to the beach with no wind...not that i goto the beach a lot either, as we dont have one in the area, at least a beach on an ocean for several thousand miles but its always been windy.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 13:37.

84. Re: Bleh Jan 27, 2005, 07:42 L0cky

But here's the bottom line: It'll eventually be out, and you'll all buy it, so there's no point bitching

I think the point is that a growing number of us probably _won't_ be buying it; at least not based on the name. It'd have to be a good game first. You could have made exactly the same statement about Daikatana but it wouldn't have held true.

If we are still talking about IPs then comparing SW to D3D is appropriate

It comes down to the same thing as what I said about HL. Even though there were decades between episode 5 and 1 the movies were still sold, bought, shown on tv, the merchandise was publicised, spin off comics, books, parodies (a la Space Balls) etc. Lucas kept the IP fresh, even when there were no movies. Other than a single crap platformer, Duke has had nothing to keep the IP current.

That's added to the fact that SW has a more timeless theme while Duke is very specific to an era (late 80's early 90's).

Has anyone ever played Conker's Bad Fur Day? That started out as 'yet another' cutesy platformer for a Nintendo console. The dev team (Rare) realised that the call for cutesy platformers had passed and (in a stroke of genious) decided to turn the game into a parody of itself. One cute, innocent squirrel gets pulled into a world of sex, drugs and pissing on devils. It's probably the funniest game I've ever played.

If they applied this 'fish out of water' concept to Duke, it could turn out to be something to look forward to. Kind of like Americans who still haven't realised that mullets aren't cool.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 07:43.

83. Re: No subject Jan 27, 2005, 07:42 Eraserhead

Hey look... without a single comment or PR from 3D Realms itself, or even any concrete news story of any kind, DNF still got a 80+ thread on Blue's.

Now that's cheap PR: let the gamers do it for you...

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 07:42.

82. Re: Bleh Jan 27, 2005, 07:36 BicycleRepairMan

To All those who say "duke3d wasnt really special", please, go download JonoF's Duke source port, install duke again and play a couple of levels . That game was just great. period.

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/index.php?p=jfduke3d

My HL2DM map Cliff3_grass, inspired by the Action Half-life map
http://bicyclerepairman.shackspace.com/HL2DM_cliff3_final.zip

81. Bleh Jan 27, 2005, 03:06 Madguy

Yeah let's all laugh at DNF some more, whoopee. But here's the bottom line: It'll eventually be out, and you'll all buy it, so there's no point bitching. The developers don't hate you, and anyone who is actually seriously annoyed with anything at all relating to this entire matter should get a life.

-Madguy
http://madgames.adventuredevelopers.com

80. Re: No subject Jan 27, 2005, 01:07 Beamer

especially when you had Duke sing at the mike.

BORN TO BE WIIIiiiIIiIilD!

HAHAHAHA, I forgot that. My friend and I would play that level all the time. One of us would run up and do that, then hide, knowing the other would hear it and burst into the room guns blazing.

Of course, he had a P90 and I was rocking an old 486DX2, so I'd run in, hear shooting over the phone (we talked when we played), hear myself die, then die on my side 4 or 5 seconds later.

Still some of the most fun I'd ever had. Being 15 rocked.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

79. Re: Hehe Jan 27, 2005, 01:03 WarPig

You know as a developer that your studio is mired deeply in shit when Derek Smart now has a better track record than you do.

Ouch baby... very ouch!

As far as fun goes, how 'bout the shrink gun and the freeze gun? What was better than shrinking someone and then stepping on them? Now that I think of it I remember a level where you had to shrink yourself by shooting the shrink gun into a mirror so you could fit through a small opening. Damn, now that I think about it some more, I want my DNF right freaking now and it better have a shrink gun!

-------------------------------------------------------
"That's inside-out boy. His mouth is in his belly, so he's gotta slap at his vocal chords with his bladder in order to make words."

GO SEAHAWKS!

78. Strange Jan 27, 2005, 00:03 Dr_Dissent

At first, I think I was making jokes about this game never being done to get the devs to work faster--but now it's just pathetic. I'm not sure I could stand to hear Duke's voice without cracking up. A new version of Duke after all these years is almost like hearing about a new version of Pac-Man. Who cares?

77. Re: Huh? Jan 26, 2005, 23:41 Tigger

DNF is the car wreck of the gaming world - you know you shouldn't look, but you can't help it.

You're right - I can't help but look. But at the same time, I getting tired of the rubber-necking.

--
Tigger
"It's not the years, it's the mileage" ~Indiana Jones

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

76. Re: No subject Jan 26, 2005, 22:51 Creston

Hey, that's fair. Keep in mind that Duke was released sans native Win95 support (which was only added in later releases and expansions) which didn't help. I'm still not clear on why that has anything to do with the value of the Duke IP. Star Wars hadn't played in theaters in nearly 20 years, yet when the updated versions and the prequel movies came out, it was all about Star Wars. Fans of the originals didn't forget and helped those new to the IP get involved.

Tell me you did not just mention Duke Nukem and the original Star Wars Trilogy in the same sentence....

Btw, I do think that Duke Nukem was pretty original and interactive for its time. It was the first shooter in which you could actually stand ON TOP of something (albeit through use of invisible undetectable platforms). All Doom clones up to that point had used the fake 3d stuff that Doom used, where nothing could physically be on the same x, y location.

I think it was also the first game that allowed you to actually blow up parts of walls (scripted, but still). And the pipebombs were a fucking blast.

I liked the Duke game alot, even though I only ever played through it once (and I play through 95% of my games at least several times). I even thought it was pretty funny, especially when you had Duke sing at the mike.

Creston

75. Re: DNF at E3 Jan 26, 2005, 22:40 Creston

What is the lesson those guys are putting out? If you bullshit, lie, and make a fancy website, people think you are the greatest and talk about you all the time. If you actually work, you actually release something that people can play, no one cares, they think the work sucks, they never talk about you.

Welcome to Corporate America.

Creston

74. Hehe Jan 26, 2005, 22:34 Creston

I guess that after he shut down an amateur mod for Half Life 2 about Duke Nukem, it was inevitable that Broussard and his game would show up again in some new forms somewhere... "Present in some form at E3."
Well, Broussard will be there, most likely.

You know, for all the shit we give Derek Smart, at least Smart actually RELEASES something every now and then that somewhat resembles playable code.

You know as a developer that your studio is mired deeply in shit when Derek Smart now has a better track record than you do.

Creston

Edit : My zpeling izt sdil nut zo goet.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 22:44.

73. Re: No subject Jan 26, 2005, 20:55 Beamer

That Serious Sam guy is kinda like Duke. Didn't Serious Sam do okay?
I never said the game wouldn't do well, I just said the Duke character itself is nowhere near as valuable as it was, and more games wouldn't change that.

Kind of like how the value in Serious Sam is that people connect it to a fun game, not a good character. That's how most games are, but for a long time Duke was sold not on gameplay but on Duke himself being king of video games. I don't think there's a chance in hell of a duke nukem movie anymore, just because no one cares about Duke himself.

Did you play it using TEN (the old Total Entertainment Network)?
Nope, no funds for it. But I did play a lot of assten on the school lan. Greatness.

Does it really matter Beamer? Do YOU feel better to have written what you did? If you do, then you will go around the rest of the day spreading that good feeling. That is reason enough for you to post.
Have I told you how much I like your posts?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

72. Re: Missed the boat Jan 26, 2005, 20:23 Hump

I wonder if possibly 3d Realms might be doing what Valve did, by creating Duke 3d in their new engine. Might be one reason why they stopped the development on the Duke mod for Source.

I dont read tarot cards or the future in general but I'd be willing to bet a weeks pay that isn't the case at all.

You see, george and scotts world they fancy themselves "smart" businessmen who give NOTHING away for free. Granted, its a small, dirty and odorous world for these self-professed "Bad boys" but those kooky kooky fellas, we love 'em just the same, right guys?

right?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes I dream about....cheese. Here, have a medkit"
- Half Life 2 NPC

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

71. Re: DNF at E3 Jan 26, 2005, 20:06 sinner's saint

"There ought to be a law about self serving liars getting free publicity.

How many times have we seen George Brussard and 3drealms PR releases that are nothing but releases to keep their names in the public? It's not right that liars and do nothings get publicity.

It reminds me of mod making. I made a mod for a game. It sucked but it was completed, released and downloaded at least 800 times last I checked. Around the time I started my mod, another mod for the same game started. It was based on the Starship Troopers movie. The guys had this very fancy looking Flash website, very professional and impressive.

Both mods were registered over at ModDB. Anyone can comment on Mods over there and give them ratings. Over the years the Starship Troopers mod released news on their progress, how cool it was, models created, coding done etc. Sometime last year, I noticed that the Starship Troopers team had put up a message saying the Mod was on hiatus. This was after about 3 years with no release. I was curious so I go over to ModDB to check on mods for the game in question.

I go to the ratings for the mods and up at the top is the Starship Troopers mod. I thought WTF? I just read a message saying the mod was never going to be done. I look at the statistics and Starship Troopers has a 6000 rating or so, putting them at the top of the mod list. My mod has like a 100 rating or so putting me in the lower half.

I bitched. You know me. I told those guys "What the heck you think you are doing? You are giving out ratings for the best mods for games to people who are liars. Starship Troopers was never anything more than a fancy flash website, nothing was ever released. And you guys are giving a Flash Website the top mod rating for the game. My mod, which was completed 3 years ago, which people had the chance to play for the last 3 years? I got a 100 rating.

What is the lesson those guys are putting out? If you bullshit, lie, and make a fancy website, people think you are the greatest and talk about you all the time. If you actually work, you actually release something that people can play, no one cares, they think the work sucks, they never talk about you.

This is just like George Broussard and 3DRealms. The guy gets free publicity at Blue's or lots of other game sites for nothing but hot air. Every news release is "Oh yeah, it is gonna be great". The games that have been released in the intervening 10 years? No one even remembers half of them.

I think I will change my life. I will go around lying about what I do, what I can do, and what kind of person I am. I will send these lying PR posts to Blues and other game sites. They will post my news blurb won't they? It is not like I have to produce any proof that I am really doing anything right? I just have to sound real good in the PR release and everyone in the world will know my name and the name of the project I invent to get free publicity.

I want to see my name on the top of Blues every month or so. Why does George Broussard get such special treatment. Payola? "

Um, maybe your mod sucked? Loser.

70. Re: Huh? Jan 26, 2005, 19:58 WarPig

I think we should call for a boycott of any news that involves DNF.

Are you kidding me? DNF is the car wreck of the gaming world - you know you shouldn't look, but you can't help it. At this point the game is almost inconsequencial to finally unraveling the mystery of what the hell is really going on over there. Personally, I can't wait to find out - and if we end up getting a good game out of it, all the better.

-------------------------------------------------------
"That's inside-out boy. His mouth is in his belly, so he's gotta slap at his vocal chords with his bladder in order to make words."

GO SEAHAWKS!

89 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo